Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sisto's a decent player but if we are playing right backs in midfield just to nullify him then there's something badly wrong. For me, O'Neill was tossing the coin on Christie being a surprise revelation in there because no other set up of his midfield has been working in any way lately. This idea didn't work either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyway, enough of this rfor me! This thread is the worst place you can try to make a point! (and yes I know the irony of me saying that!) Far too tense of an environment to spend a Sunday evening in!

No point discussing something we don't agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

irishman86 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with his age buddy. Im actually a fan of his i'd just have Arter/Hendricks ahead of him in how they play.
    And McCarthy if he returns to full fitness a good bit ahead of them
    Id have Crowley ahead of him purely on the way they play, for me Crowley has more to offer the team, like Christie got picked ahead of him in midfield which should say everything.

Nah cant take your posts serious now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sadly, I don't think O Neill is going anywhere.

I think it's going to all to end in tears really and a lot of What the hell were we doing last year about the whole thing.

Problem is I'm also not sure who should come in.

The top of the betting does not fill me with Confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think it's going to all to end in tears really and a lot of What the hell were we doing last year about the whole thing.

His contract is til 2020 Euros at least. After that who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You don't have long to wait. The draw for the qualifiers is on December 2nd, and there is a very tight qualification schedule between March and November of next year. Five of the groups are 6 team groups which will mean (should we be drawn into same) we essentially play 10 competitive games in 7 months. We qualify, he stays onto to the tournament proper and probably leaves at that point on a high. We fail to qualify, he's gone.

If it's the unholy disaster many expect it to be (before the draw has been made may I note) then it will be over in early autumn next year, he'll be gone and a new coach will get the last couple of competitive matches in November to start working things through to their liking.

The time will fly. All those who loathe him do not have long to wait in the grand scheme of things before their golden new future is upon us.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    All those who loathe him do not have long to wait in the grand scheme of things before their golden new future is upon us.

Bit like saying all those who love him will have an even shorter wait in the grand scheme of things, as the golden present with all that glorious football and win after win will surely continue...

The time will fly. All those who loathe him do not have long to wait in the grand scheme of things before their golden new future is upon us.

Time does not fly when watching a O Neill game:pac:

Personally, I don't think whoever comes in is just going to get us playing free flow attacking football.

There is a bigger dinosaur in the room then O Neill and I have said before until that is changed we will just yo yo.

But I do think we have a manager who has gone as far as he can and has now overstayed his welcome. The results have been awful, the performances have been Dreadful and the fact that we don't even create any clear cut chances is the biggest worry for a manager who is totally out of his depth. If you're going to play a LB playing in CM and it's not delivering I'm sorry but that buck stops with manager.

The buck stops with the manager and - in the context of International football - it will certainly be reasonable to assess results at the end of his current contract and move on at that point as required. That assessment was performed towards the end of his previous contract and - at that point - his performance was certainly satisfactory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You go further down the list and Heimir Hallgrímsson isn't a bad shout if he's still unattached this time next year. He's currently unemployed after leaving Iceland, has international experience, would probably come cheap (which is probably important for our next manager) and our players would have the best smiles of all the international teams.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What way are away fans usually handled in segregated matches? Presumably via Ringsend up Bath Avenue?

Been offered a ticket to the NI game in November, but trying to work out if I can be bothered with all the fuss that'll be around this.

The buck stops with the manager and - in the context of International football - it will certainly be reasonable to assess results at the end of his current contract and move on at that point as required. That assessment was performed towards the end of his previous contract and - at that point - his performance was certainly satisfactory.

Really? A trashing to Denmark. Not able to beat Wales Austria Serbia or Georgia in 4 consecutive games 3 of those at home?

We were horrid to watch in 2017. Bar Wales away it was dire stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

But I do think we have a manager who has gone as far as he can and has now overstayed his welcome. The results have been awful, the performances have been Dreadful and the fact that we don't even create any clear cut chances is the biggest worry for a manager who is totally out of his depth. If you're going to play a LB playing in CM and it's not delivering I'm sorry but that buck stops with manager.

His win percentage is thirty three percent which is only marginally less than his predecessor. He qualified the team for the finals of a major tournament where they performed with credit. He has been willing to select young players and give them a chance. The team is defensively well organised making us difficult to beat, at least. He appears to be still committed to and enthusiastic about the job. There are no potential replacements available. He should be allowed to see out his contract.

chicorytip wrote: »
    His win percentage is thirty three percent which is only marginally less than his predecessor. He qualified the team for the finals of a major tournament where they performed with credit. He has been willing to select young players and give them a chance. The team is defensively well organised making us difficult to beat, at least. He appears to be still committed to and enthusiastic about the job. There are no potential replacements available. He should be allowed to see out his contract.

What young players? He appears to be committed? A man on 2 million year would sure want to be, not 'appear' to be.

Plenty of replacements just not sure they pick a suitable one

It's almost 2 years since we beat Austria away.

Could you think about your post and see...how much of it applies to the time since then...

A fair few things wrong with this post. Imy sure others will point them out

He has beaten two teams since the Austrian game afaik, Moldova (x 2) and Wales. Comprehend that. So don't bring win percentages I'm to justify the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

His win percentage is thirty three percent which is only marginally less than his predecessor. (2) He qualified the team for the finals of a major tournament where they performed with credit. He has been willing to select young players and give them a chance. (3) The team is defensively well organised making us difficult to beat, at least. (4) He appears to be still committed to and enthusiastic about the job. (5) There are no potential replacements available. He should be allowed to see out his contract.

Even as one of MONs biggest defenders in here I just can't agreee.

(1) His win percentage

Overall his win percent does look good as a statistic, but since agreeing to the contract extension we have gone:

9P 1W 3D 6L (11%)
    GS 5
    GC 15

It doesn't make for good reading coming into the qualifying campaign and I think it's more than reasonably for people to want a change.

(2) Euro 2016

Can never take this away from his achievements and no intentions to do so. He helped create a lot of long living memories for many of us fans.

However, despite my appreciation for this after the last year I don't think we can keep using it as a reason to keep going with him. At what point do we push do we stop taking it into consideration and look at the actual current situation?

(3) The team is defensive and hard to beat

During his spell he has achieved this, but over the last year since the extension agreement we certainly haven't been a hard to beat team. We've had multiple games where we've fallen apart defensively.

(4) Appearing to be motivated and committed to the job

Are we forgetting him toing and froing about whether he would even sign the extension? He was looking to move on but I think someone highlighted the fact that it wouldn't look good him backing out on his verbal agreement.

He may have been quoted recently saying he thinks we will qualify but he also was quoted during same month as saying:

"I had a possibility of leaving to go to another job and I thought I’d like to stay on and see if we can qualify for this competition.The Euros start in earnest in March-time or so. We’ll see."

That to me doesn't sound like a man who is fully committed and bursting with motivation. That quote really annoyed me after all the times I've spent defending him.

(5) No potential replacements and he should be allowed to see out his contract

This is always an excuse for not parting ways. England said the same and a lot were fuming when Gareth Southgate took over. Now not so much.

We all know the bookies have linked the likes of Kenny, Allardyce, Lennon, Moyes, Redknapp, Cook, Hughton and so on. It's not crazy to think there is a suitable replacement out there and also with the money we pay in terms of international management it's bound to garner interest.

Also I don't think he should be allowed to see out his contract if we are falling apart. One win in 9, an average of less than 2 shots on target in last 10 games, players falling out with coaching staff. It's been horrendous since the extension.

The next Euros is the anniversary one, and we will be hosting matches for it. If we qualify we are gaurenteed two group stages in Dublin. Failing to qualify for this one would be a massive blow in my eyes. Based off current form you'd imagine our only involvement as fans will be mingling with other fans in the pub as their teams come to Dublin to compete in the Euros.

I've said over and over again I will always be grateful to MON and co for getting us to the Euros and the memories created there but that can't always be used to defen him and as an excuse to keep his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Howya Martin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Defensively well organised?? How many have we conceded on our last 5 games??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone else think the management and players see the nation's league as nothing more than friendly games? MON referenced how it's all about March several times last week, and Coleman also mentioned it during his broadside at Keith Andrews.

Anyone else think the management and players see the nation's league as nothing more than friendly games? MON referenced how it's all about March several times last week, and Coleman also mentioned it during his broadside at Keith Andrews.

Suppose that's a line they're taking with the results. If results were going our way I'm sure there'd be a different interpretation on it..

I think it's fair to say that March is everyone's focus and priority. It will be the most concentrated qualification stage we've ever been involved in so once it gets up and running the prize will be very tangible for all involved. Unlike previous campaigns there will be a lower possibility of a player being involved at the outset of qualifying with little or no chance of making the tournament proper. The Euro Nations League has value, but until the ramifications of our performance really hit home in the form of lower seeding and a lack of a playoff opportunity the players will find it difficult to see the prize as clearly.

It's all about March. 2018 was an odd year in that way as it's the first calendar year I can remember where the national team didn't play a truly critical game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Well they had to say that after the results, its not as if he was trying lots of new players. Just look at the team he put out against Poland after the Wales defeat compared to the 3 Nations league games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he should be allowed to continue in the job until there is a bit of potential improvement in the squad.
    I don't know what nation I'd compare our squad to right now but we are well below Wales and Scotland.
    The old saying that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear applies to this current Irish squad. It doesn't matter who the manager is so why change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We only needed a result or two to be second seeds for March.

Couldn't manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What young players? He appears to be committed? A man on 2 million year would sure want to be, not 'appear' to be.

Plenty of replacements just not sure they pick a suitable one

Christie, Robinson, Arter, Duffy, O'Dowda, Burke to name a few. These and others at least have the potential to become good international standard players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Christie, Robinson, Arter, Duffy, O'Dowda, Burke to name a few. These and others at least have the potential to become good international standard players.

You my friend set a very very low standard for good international players
    Duffy is a good international player as is Arter but the rest are ok players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

irishman86 wrote: »
    You my friend set a very very low standard for good international players
    Duffy is a good international player as is Arter but the rest are ok players
    Is Arter an International quality player ? He is an average player whose career path looks downward . No , I am not Roy Keane .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Harry Arter is a good player. Firstly he was asked to play in midfield along side Glenn Whelan and now Cyrus Christie. I have sympathy for the man.

• Advertisement

Harry Arter is a good player. Firstly he was asked to play in midfield along side Glenn Whelan and now Cyrus Christie. I have sympathy for the man.

Whelan has done more in the game than Arter probably ever will but you already k ow we disagree on this.

Nonetheless, he is a useful premierleague midfielder and looked decent last campaign for Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He gives away cheap frees around the Irish box . He is not particularly mobile . He mostly passes short or back. Moving from Bournemouth to Cardiff is a downward move . He ain’t going to improve much at his age . How much is his heart in playing for Ireland . He was easy to put off for a few games . He sometimes doesn’t turn up but is fit to play for his club very soon after .

I’m hoping McClean would knock the lippy Keane out for his cheek . Harry went missing .

blinding wrote: »
    He gives away cheap frees around the Irish box . He is not particularly mobile . He mostly passes short or back. Moving from Bournemouth to Cardiff is a downward move . He ain’t going to improve much at his age . How much is his heart in playing for Ireland . He was easy to put off for a few games . He sometimes doesn’t turn up but is fit to play for his club very soon after .

I’m hoping McClean would knock the lippy Keane out for his cheek . Harry went missing .

When having to cover for a RB playing in CM id say he is annoyed. James McCarthy has always looked dreadful when paired with Whelan also. Must be that Arter and McCarthy are poor and Whelan is good then.

Arter was 26 when first capped. Burke is 25, Duffy was 25 before regular, Christie 22 and O Dowda 22.

Last few aint too bad, but they ain't Young in football terms really either.

I appreciate ain't too many and he can't pick them for sake of it but if you regard picking few players at 22 as blending them in then we already are at low way

Arter was 26 when first capped. Burke is 25, Duffy was 25 before regular, Christie 22 and O Dowda 22.

Last few aint too bad, but they ain't Young in football terms really either.

I appreciate ain't too many and he can't pick them for sake of it but if you regard picking few players at 22 as blending them in then we already are at low way

And from the current crop of 21s that have just finished their campaign maybe Jimmy Dunne is the only lad from that age group that might get introduced soon. Won't see anyone else for probably 4 years until we see how the current u19s and u17s fair out with senior football at club level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

sugarman wrote: »
    FYP

There hasnt been a better midfielder for Ireland since Keane
    Dont @ me :D

sugarman wrote: »
    FYP

Yeh you sure did. Yep Glenn Whelan was excellent in an Ireland jersey. Every team needs a player to constantly turn their back on the ball and run their own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeh you sure did. Yep Glenn Whelan was excellent in an Ireland jersey. Every team needs a player to constantly turn their back on the ball and run their own goal.

I cant see where his post says Whelan was excellent.

Whelan played for Ireland through four international tournament phases. We qualified for two of those four, we came short in extra time in a playoff in a third. Any coaches / people involved in the game I've talked to with on Whelan rates his contributions highly. As did the two managers who used him and seemingly the players who played with him.

Quite the bizarre period for Irish football in many respects. The second most successful eight year period in the history of Irish football marred by a constant negative conversation in the media about how terrible the individual players responsible for it were, how awful a side as a whole we were, how clueless the coaches have been. It's amazing how powerful those opinions can be, how they can completely capture the minds of the gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Whelan played for Ireland through four international tournament phases. We qualified for two of those four, we came short in extra time in a playoff in a third. Any coaches / people involved in the game I've talked to with on Whelan rates his contributions highly. As did the two managers who used him and seemingly the players who played with him.

Quite the bizarre period for Irish football in many respects. The second most successful eight year period in the history of Irish football marred by a constant negative conversation in the media about how terrible the individual players responsible for it were, how awful a side as a whole we were, how clueless the coaches have been. It's amazing how powerful those opinions can be, how they can completely capture the minds of the gullible.

What is this absolute poison?

• Advertisement

What is this absolute poison?

Truth.

Decent night for Irish lads with Preston so far. Browne and Robinson with a goal each.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Decent night for Irish lads with Preston so far. Browne and Robinson with a goal each.

Decent player that Browne lad. Might be worth a look at or are there anyother right backs to try and squeeze in?

Decent player that Browne lad. Might be worth a look at or are there anyother right backs to try and squeeze in?

Relatively young too. Only 23. Think I saw Preston signed him 5 years ago last week for £10,000. Some bargain!

2nd for Robinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rumours on twitter that Noel King is gone. That would straight away be the highlight of the year for the national team if it were true.

It all depends on who is given the gig.

It's amazing how powerful those opinions can be, how they can completely capture the minds of the gullible.

It's also amazing that others will completely ignore the quality of football, the dross served up in 2012 and 2013, and again in 2017 and 2018, overlook record breaking defeats and some of the worst runs ever, because they got to wave a plastic hammer at the Euros, a competition for which 24 teams now qualify out of 53, or almost 1 in every 2.

If one lot are gullible, they could argue out that others are positively soft in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It all depends on who is given the gig.
    Delaney might fancy it, just for a little extra cash.

• Advertisement

Rumours on twitter that Noel King is gone. That would straight away be the highlight of the year for the national team if it were true.

It was stupid that he had the job in the first place. Whatever people think of him but he's main job or one of them is head of international scouting and people wonder why we had so many English born players in the u21s campaign or why he had favourites. Must have got paid a commission for every player he recruited and capped (joke, hopefully). But with one of your jobs being that then you should also be allowed to be the head coach of the u21s.

Hopefully if it's true then they move Tom Mohan and his coaches from the u19s to the u21s or actually hire a coach from outside the FAI like the Nordies did with Ian Baraclough. Keith Long wouldn't be a bad shout if they were looking to recruit someone and looked towards a coach with LOI and whose worked with young players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement