Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's also amazing that others will completely ignore the quality of football, the dross served up in 2012 and 2013, and again in 2017 and 2018, overlook record breaking defeats and some of the worst runs ever, because they got to wave a plastic hammer at the Euros, a competition for which 24 teams now qualify out of 53, or almost 1 in every 2.

If one lot are gullible, they could argue out that others are positively soft in the head.

The Euros was an extraordinarily difficult tournament to qualify for in 2012 (hardest of all international tournaments infact) but we did. It might have been easier to get into in 2016 (more in line with the average continental competition) but we marked our footprint when we got there. And yes, the opportunity to travel for those events and be part of the action is absolutely massive. It's only happened six times in the history of the state:

- we're 3 for 20 in World Cup Qualifying attempts
    - we're 3 for 15 in European Championship Qualifying attempts
    - we're 6 for 35 overall

so to denigrate those achievements as significant, or to spend a four year period where we managed it twice grumbling about the quality of football and angling to tear down the competitiveness to satisfy ideological notions on how the game should be played is absolute nonsense. And quite curmudgeonly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Whelan played for Ireland through four international tournament phases. We qualified for two of those four, we came short in extra time in a playoff in a third. Any coaches / people involved in the game I've talked to with on Whelan rates his contributions highly. As did the two managers who used him and seemingly the players who played with him.

Quite the bizarre period for Irish football in many respects. The second most successful eight year period in the history of Irish football marred by a constant negative conversation in the media about how terrible the individual players responsible for it were, how awful a side as a whole we were, how clueless the coaches have been. It's amazing how powerful those opinions can be, how they can completely capture the minds of the gullible.

No wonder Irish football is in the shyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd agree with LuckyLloyd on Glenn Whelan, of course he wasn't a nice player to watch but he played regularly for Stoke in the Premier League for almost 10 years, probably the best period in their history. Also a regular for Ireland for the same period where we qualified for two tournaments and as Lloyd points out that is a rare achievement. He gets a lot of stick but I know I would have preferred Whelan (of a few years ago) in midfield in our last two games than Christie or Arter.

Since leaving both Ireland and Stoke are going through their worst periods since before he joined either, is that a coincidence? Possibly, but an interesting one to think about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I'd agree with LuckyLloyd on Glenn Whelan, of course he wasn't a nice player to watch but he played regularly for Stoke in the Premier League for almost 10 years, probably the best period in their history. Also a regular for Ireland for the same period where we qualified for two tournaments and as Lloyd points out that is a rare achievement. He gets a lot of stick but I know I would have preferred Whelan (of a few years ago) in midfield in our last two games than Christie or Arter.

Since leaving both Ireland and Stoke are going through their worst periods since before he joined either, is that a coincidence? Possibly, but an interesting one to think about.

Well qualifing for two tournaments when looked at is less of an achievement than its being made out to be. The euros has became well simple to qualify for. its not like the eighties where it was a genuine challenge.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    so to denigrate those achievements as significant, or to spend a four year period where we managed it twice grumbling about the quality of football and angling to tear down the competitiveness to satisfy ideological notions on how the game should be played is absolute nonsense. And quite curmudgeonly.

Hands up, I gloss over your posts and get to the snide dig, the whole "and people who disagree are gullible" (hence my response in kind) or "people with other opinions are curmudgeonly.

I take it yet again you glossed over the appalling run with record breaking defeats in 12 and 13, or the awful run of form in the past 2 years?

For my part, I give praise as and when it's due. I think my thanks to the management when we qualified in for 2016 gathered a bit of steam here. I just think the football since late 2016 has been, to take a phrase from another sport, puke football, without even the excuse of good results to back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Qualifying for Euro 2012 was a great achievement and shouldn't be underestimated despite what happened at the tournament itself.

Qualifying for Euro 2016 was no where near the same achievement considering the expansion to the tournament. Finishing third, despite being fourth seeds, should have been seen as the minimum requirement. Playoffs are then all about the luck of draw and we did well to qualify but some posters are giving this qualification far more merit than it deserves.

World Cup 2018 Qualification obviously started brilliantly and I genuinely had high hopes of finishing top of the group. However since Austria away we have gone completely backwards. It's partly the players fault and partly O'Neill's fault. The facts are that we have an extremely poor squad of players at the moment but they are also not being prepared properly by O'Neill. If you have a poor enough group of individual players then you need to work extremely hard as a collective to prepare as best you can and O'Neill simply doesn't do this. He's not a coach and never has been. Personally I think it's time to bring in a new manager with extensive coaching skills to get the best out of our current squad. This won't happen though as the FAI simply can't afford to get rid of the current management team. I fully expect us to finish third in the upcoming qualification group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Qualifying for Euro 2012 was a great achievement and shouldn't be underestimated despite what happened at the tournament itself.

Qualifying for Euro 2016 was no where near the same achievement considering the expansion to the tournament. Finishing third, despite being fourth seeds, should have been seen as the minimum requirement. Playoffs are then all about the luck of draw and we did well to qualify but some posters are giving this qualification far more merit than it deserves.

World Cup 2018 Qualification obviously started brilliantly and I genuinely had high hopes of finishing top of the group. However since Austria away we have gone completely backwards. It's partly the players fault and partly O'Neill's fault. The facts are that we have an extremely poor squad of players at the moment but they are also not being prepared properly by O'Neill. If you have a poor enough group of individual players then you need to work extremely hard as a collective to prepare as best you can and O'Neill simply doesn't do this. He's not a coach and never has been. Personally I think it's time to bring in a new manager with extensive coaching skills to get the best out of our current squad. This won't happen though as the FAI simply can't afford to get rid of the current management team. I fully expect us to finish third in the upcoming qualification group.

We hado a muck group apart from Russia in 2012 as well as players like Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane. 2012 qualification wasn't all that impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Kingp35 wrote: »

Think it comes down to this. Morale will be pretty low if we don't qualify for Euro 2020 which seems like a high possibility unless we up our game significantly. That could still happen but hard to see at this stage tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

2012 we had a group featuring Russia, Slovakia, ourselves, Armenia, Macedonia and Andorra

2016 featured Germany, Poland, Scotland, Georgia and Gibraltar.

One is clearly significantly harder than the other to the point where coming 3rd in 2016 is at the very least as difficult as coming 2nd in 2012. Coming second in 2016 was harder than coming first in 2012

To add to that we beat ****ing Estonia in the playoffs, the worst team to ever play in those playoffs by quite a margin. We beat Bosnia in 2016.

2012 was not a more impressive achievement than 2016. Everything went our way from one of the worst groups ever drawn to the playoffs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

At least in 2016 qualifiers we bet a good team (the world champs). 2012 was the same old ireland; draw draw draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ireland have slipped down the world rankings to 33rd

England are up one to 6th.

In the age old fashion of what is supposed to be done here when Ireland go down and/or England goes up, I'll declare these rankings to be stupid and not reflective of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Robinson assist today. Going well this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Conor Coventry on the bench for West Ham today

Ssssh dont suggest calling him up.

Feck it let it develop into a declan rice / grealish situation. Coz thats great craic for everyone.

Feck it let it develop into a declan rice / grealish situation. Coz thats great craic for everyone.

Dont forget Ben Mohamed.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dont forget Ben Mohamed.

Should have capped him while he was playing with the mighty Longford Town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Our Deaglán MOTM in today's game.

• Advertisement

Our Deaglán MOTM in today's game.

Good assist for the goal.

James McCarthy starts for Evertons u23s tonight on his comeback from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Was quite impressed with Jimmy Dunne today for Hearts.

Was quite impressed with Jimmy Dunne today for Hearts.

Given Hearts long term injuries in defence could see his loan possibly extended.

Brady and mccarthy both back. Huge boosts to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Brady and mccarthy both back. Huge boosts to be fair.

How long is it since Brady played a decent game? He's been awful for Ireland for a fair while before the injury. Not sure on Burnley form.

He hasnt played since last december. Id agree form wasnt great but we know what he is capable of. I think himself amd hendrick suffered a dip in form after the euros and its time for them to deliver. Im not sure though if our current style of play helps creative players all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I see Stephen Ireland's son scored twice in an u15 international at the weekend for England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

I see Stephen Ireland's son scored twice in an u15 international at the weekend for England

His 3 great grannies will be chuffed for him

I'd say that decision was well pushed by his old man.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd say that decision was well pushed by his old man.

Or the fact that he's 13/14 and would probably have to play with England at that age seeing as he qualifies through residency/going to school in England and what kid wouldn't wanna train and play with England if they're good enough.

Not 100% sure but if you're under a certain age you have to represent the association you play under, it's why you don't see any nordie players declare for us until 16 (I think).

Or the fact that he's 13/14 and would probably have to play with England at that age seeing as he qualifies through residency/going to school in England and what kid wouldn't wanna train and play with England if they're good enough.

Not 100% sure but if you're under a certain age you have to represent the association you play under, it's why you don't see any nordie players declare for us until 16 (I think).

Mine wouldn't, that's for sure.

Theres a boy i hope doesnt make make it as a pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

:confused: Why? That seems a very odd thing to wish on somebody.

Kirby wrote: »

You don't have to wish well for everybody.

Kirby wrote: »

Because the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

• Advertisement

Because the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

Your Da must have been a begrudging non empathetic grump by that logic also!

sugarman wrote: »
    In other news, anyone any guesses what this is going to be

WhatsApp_Image_2018-10-29_at_14.10.42.jpeg

Probably LOI and Northern Ireland Football League annual club cup of some sort

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is it that John has single handed-ly solved Brexit ?

Your Da must have been a begrudging non empathetic grump by that logic also!

Wouldn't waste your time.

A United Ireland team and some posters will burst into flames as they think it's still 1970. Probably some cross border competition like the Setanta cup but can we see Delaney really going out of his way and travelling to Belfast for something LOI related. Could also be a joint bid to host a tournament but it's good to see both associations working together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

An O'Neill swap?

Setanta Cup type thing most likely

Love the little note at the end that Delaney will only be answering questions about the announcement. Surprised reporters haven't been asked to forward their questions in advance to receive approval from mein fuhrer before being allowed ask them or they might have pre written questions on cards to hand out on the day.

Could also be related to the 2030 WC bid. I imagine the Bid will be entitled GB and Ireland so, obviously, for logistic and practical reasons the FAI, IFA and indeed all establishments, political, sporting, infrastructural and corporate entities etc etc in the whole of the the Ireland will be charged wit working together.

Could also be related to the 2030 WC bid. I imagine the Bid will be entitled GB and Ireland so, obviously, for logistic and practical reasons the FAI, IFA and indeed all establishments, political, sporting, infrastructural and corporate entities etc etc in the whole of the the Ireland will be charged wit working together.

Possibly but you need a minimum stadium capacity of 40,000 so would rule out the IFA of hosting any matches, Windsor would need to more than double in size.

Think any 2030 bid will just be between England, Wales and Scotland.

Possibly but you need a minimum stadium capacity of 40,000 so would rule out the IFA of hosting any matches, Windsor would need to more than double in size.

Kaliningrad and Yekaterinburg both held just over 33,000 this year...

Fcuk me sideways that Ireland stuff was 11 years ago.....I feel old now.

you can have group games for 35, 000.

WP has 22,500 capacity at present.

Kaliningrad and Yekaterinburg both held just over 33,000 this year...

This was brought in for the 2026 world I'd assume or Russia was probably given a pass to include two smaller stadiums given their problems with getting stadiums up to code.

you can have group games for 35, 000.

WP has 22,500 capacity at present.

WP holds just over 18,000 people.

WP holds just over 18,000 people.

I am not sure why I thought it was 22, 000?!

EDITL Ah, it is the concert capacity

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement