Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Because the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

Your Da must have been a begrudging non empathetic grump by that logic also!

And yours must have been a blind FAI flag waving fanboy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

And yours must have been a blind FAI flag waving fanboy too.

What???? I am struggling to derive how you came up with that statement from my posts! When have I ever heralded the FAI !!

Your logic is as ugly as your personality, so it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Let's all join hands and sing the 'everyone in the whole wide world is brilliant and nice and great' song.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Let's all join hands and sing the 'everyone in the whole wide world is brilliant and nice and great' song.

Especially Stevie Irelands young fella.

Especially Stevie Irelands young fella.

Don't forget Stevie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just seen the pricing for the NI game. €65 and €45 for adult tickets. What sort of joke is that?? €65 to watch that drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Because the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

The sins of the father are not the sins of the son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just seen the pricing for the NI game. €65 and €45 for adult tickets. What sort of joke is that?? €65 to watch that drivel.

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

And for a friendly. Mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Eod100 wrote: »
    And for a friendly. Mad

And on a Thursday, even more more mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Be another low turn out like the micky mouse nations cup tournament 7 years ago, probably be a large amount of free tickets handed out again for this game to make up the numbers.

Noel King might actually get us to a tournament after all!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/republic-of-ireland-and-northern-ireland-set-to-launch-historic-jointbid-to-host-u21-european-championship-37475168.html

The FAI is set to launch a joint-bid with their Northern Irish counterparts, the IFA, to host the U21 European Championship.
    The two football associations have scheduled a joint-press conference for this Thursday, where a 'special announcement' will be made. It is understood that the announcement will be a historic joint-bid to host an upcoming U21 European Championship in either 2021 or 2023.

The 2021 tournament would coincide with the FAI's centenary.

The next U21 European Championship will be held in Italy in June 2019. Ireland failed to qualify, finishing third in their qualification group, ten points behind group winners Germany.

Ireland have never qualified for an U21 European Championship, but were they to win the bid to host the 2021 competition, they would qualify automatically with Northern Ireland as the host nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Noel King might actually get us to a tournament after all!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/republic-of-ireland-and-northern-ireland-set-to-launch-historic-jointbid-to-host-u21-european-championship-37475168.html

The FAI is set to launch a joint-bid with their Northern Irish counterparts, the IFA, to host the U21 European Championship.
    The two football associations have scheduled a joint-press conference for this Thursday, where a 'special announcement' will be made. It is understood that the announcement will be a historic joint-bid to host an upcoming U21 European Championship in either 2021 or 2023.

The 2021 tournament would coincide with the FAI's centenary.

The next U21 European Championship will be held in Italy in June 2019. Ireland failed to qualify, finishing third in their qualification group, ten points behind group winners Germany.

Ireland have never qualified for an U21 European Championship, but were they to win the bid to host the 2021 competition, they would qualify automatically with Northern Ireland as the host nations.

We have no where near the stadia to host this. This bid will lose.

Hopefully.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    We have no where near the stadia to host this. This bid will lose.

Aviva 51k
    Windsor 18k
    Thomond 15k
    Raven hill 14k (I think)
    Tallaght 8k
    Turners Cross 7k

You only need six stadiums

• Advertisement

Aviva 51k
    Windsor 18k
    Thomond 15k
    Raven hill 14k (I think)
    Tallaght 8k
    Turners Cross 7k

You only need six stadiums

Is there specific capacity that's needed? I know matches might not sell out anyways but would Tallaght and Turner's Cross be big enough say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If nothing else, they might actually be forced to give Turners Cross a clean when going through the bid process. The place is filthy

The average attendances at the U21 championships in Poland was generally around 11,000 and the last final in Poland between Spain and Germany, two heavyweights, only attracted 15K.

Look at the attendances in Israela and Czech Republic the two tournaments previous, much lower average

Just did a quick check on the last four finals (Italy next year) and the venues and capacities. There's quite a variation between some of the countries. I'm assuming some of the larger venues would have been nowhere near full but it gives you an indication of what's required anyway. Can't see how both Tallaght and Turner's Cross could be considered but then again Denmark did have two stadia under 10,000 capacity.

Italy 2019
    Capacity: 38,279 Capacity: 23,717 Capacity: 23,860 Capacity: 28,565 Capacity: 25,144 Capacity: 6,664

Poland 2017
    Capacity: 15,500 Capacity: 15,500 Capacity: 15,139 Capacity: 20,247 Capacity: 15,016 Capacity: 15,300

Czech Republic 2015
    Capacity: 20,800 Capacity: 19,784 Capacity: 12,566 Capacity: 8,121

Israel 2013
    Capacity: 31,733 Capacity: 13,610 Capacity: 11,500 Capacity: 14,413

Denmark 2011
    Capacity: 20,000 Capacity: 10,500 Capacity: 9,600 Capacity: 9,566

Delaney has a cushy position on the UEFA Exec Committee and that won't do him any harm.

I think Hungary are also bidding.

• Advertisement

Is there specific capacity that's needed? I know matches might not sell out anyways but would Tallaght and Turner's Cross be big enough say?

Don't think so because Italy are hosting it with San Marino and their stadium holds 6k. Could even open the Aviva for double header games its so big.

Don't think so because Italy are hosting it with San Marino and their stadium holds 6k. Could even open the Aviva for double header games its so big.

Ah interesting. Might not be so far-fetched so, think UEFA are fans of joint bids these days like Euro 2020. Think it would be good for football here and added bonus of u21 team qualifying.

Hopefully we don't get it and will end any accociation with the IFA.

Ah interesting. Might not be so far-fetched so, think UEFA are fans of joint bids these days like Euro 2020. Think it would be good for football here and added bonus of u21 team qualifying.

Finland held the u19s tournment this summer using two stadiums, if they don't mind some stadiums having terracing but still with 15k I'd say the IRFU would have no problem with Ravenhill and Thomond being used seeing as it's a joint bid and they represent the whole island so might see it as a plus that the IFA and FAI will be working together and soon will have to merge if a United Ireland happen. Plus some people will probably burst into flames that both associations are working together, which is also fun.

Unless the IFA plan on renovation a soccer stadium to bring capacity up they'd need to use Ravenhill as I think the Oval is the next highest seat wise at just under 5k or just have Windsor as the only stadium up north.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/declan-rice-to-commit-international-future-to-england-after-second-gareth-southgate-meeting-report-37477707.html

I mean if this is true and it is more than likely, we really need to have a conversation about where we are going under the granny rule.

I would consider any 18-20 year old in PL squad good enough to be in our senior squad. Conor Coventry for example. Wales do it and have beaten us twice now.

A huge blow even if we did see it coming for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/declan-rice-to-commit-international-future-to-england-after-second-gareth-southgate-meeting-report-37477707.html

I mean if this is true and it is more than likely, we really need to have a conversation about where we are going under the granny rule.

I would consider any 18-20 year old in PL squad good enough to be in our senior squad. Conor Coventry for example. Wales do it and have beaten us twice now.

A huge blow even if we did see it coming for a while.

Rice is soo last month. Its Bazunu, O'Hara and Coventry we need to be starting ASAP. At least we stopped we Dutch getting Doherty!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Rice is soo last month. Its Bazunu, O'Hara and Coventry we need to be starting ASAP. At least we stopped we Dutch getting Doherty!

Why would we not consider calling up Conventry?

The argument for not capping you players around first teams in the PL and Championshiop is lost after Grealish and now Rice I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I feel like Austin Powers: "Yeah, and I can't believe Liberace was gay...I didn't see that one coming.":p

I feel like Austin Powers: "Yeah, and I can't believe Liberace was gay...I didn't see that one coming.":p

??

Hopefully it's the last we hear of the **** now and we can focus on the ones that want to be there going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You cant lose what you never had. hes no loss.

i cant understand anyone who thinks losing players like rice is the end of the world, yes hes a decent PL player but if they are not 100% committed to playing for Ireland then we shouldn't want them playing for us.

hopefully he gets 1 england cap and ends up in league 2. kissing the Irish badge, what an insult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

??

Most unsurprising news ever

Here we go now. The same posters on here saying this isnt a huge issue and focus on what we do have will be the very same ones when we continue our poor run of form saying we dont have the players available and dedending MON. Laughable really.

This needs to be dealt with after grealish and now rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

pgj2015 wrote: »

i cant understand anyone who thinks losing players like rice is the end of the world, yes hes a decent PL player but if they are not 100% committed to playing for Ireland then we shouldn't want them playing for us.

hopefully he gets 1 england cap and ends up in league 2. kissing the Irish badge, what an insult.

The only Irish players who were born and raised in England who saw themselves as only wanting to play for Ireland were kilbane and Alan McLoughlin. I think almost all the others would have accepted an England callup. Any others?

So this thing about being 100% committed to Ireland is Perfect world nonsense. Most lads born in England that play for Ireland play for Ireland because they can get picked for Ireland and won’t get picked for England. Was true in 1970s, it’s still true now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The only Irish players who were born and raised in England who saw themselves as only wanting to play for Ireland were kilbane and Alan McLoughlin. I think almost all the others would have accepted an England callup. Any others?

So this thing about being 100% committed to Ireland is Perfect world nonsense. Most lads born in England that play for Ireland play for Ireland because they can get picked for Ireland and won’t get picked for England. Was true in 1970s, it’s still true now.

Lets see how many caps Rice gets for England. He might get a few friendlies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hard to argue with that . A lot more money to be made by being an English international for a start . More realistic chance of success . Hard to blame them really .

Nah, Rice has a good future with England. Preety clear he is going to be a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Here we go now. The same posters on here saying this isnt a huge issue and focus on what we do have will be the very same ones when we continue our poor run of form saying we dont have the players available and dedending MON. Laughable really.

This needs to be dealt with after grealish and now rice.

Dealt with? Let them **** off if they don't want to play for us. There you go. Dealt with.

Unlike you, we're out supporting the players who are there and getting behind them. Even if we think they're limited and overmatched, for it's nothing to do with their effort. Far better than sitting behind a message board endlessly complaining about the coaching staff. Would you not agree?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Dealt with? Let them **** off if they don't want to play for us. There you go. Dealt with.

Unlike you, we're out supporting the players who are there and getting behind them. Even if we think they're limited and overmatched, for it's nothing to do with their effort. Far better than sitting behind a message board endlessly complaining about the coaching staff. Would you not agree?

Yeh dealt with in your world. But the thing is they did at one point want to play for us.

And i wouldnt agree. Looking at the articles both Southgate and his coaching staff were hands on ensuring Rice would choose them. I think its fair to say MON wasnt and thats a huge issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rice is only 19. He is up against Dier and Loftus Cheek. He will walk into that England side soon.

Big blow, but if we had been producing our own players....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd expect him to get plenty,not a whole lot there ahead of him currently.I think he will have a decent England career but he could have been a 100 caps player for us.

Rice is only 19. He is up against Dier and Loftus Cheek. He will walk into that England side soon.

Big blow, but if we had been producing our own players....

Unfortunately that's not something that can be done overnight, and unless LOI is respected and given adequate investment instead of treated as a ''problem child'' that won't change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

pgj2015 wrote: »

Spot on. Sick and tired of this "100% committed" nonsense being spouted.

Southgate presented him with a wide range of statistical data to show how he suits their plans.

In fairness, it sounds more attractive than getting a crick in his neck from watching the ball hoofed over his head, or the wide range of abusive words he might expect from our assistant manager...

Southgate presented him with a wide range of statistical data to show how he suits their plans.

In fairness, it sounds more attractive than getting a crick in his neck from watching the ball hoofed over his head, or the wide range of abusive words he might expect from our assistant manager...

And the wide range of abusive comments he received from Irish fans when news first broke that he was having second thoughts...

• Advertisement

And the wide range of abusive comments he received from Irish fans when news first broke that he was having second thoughts...

After him kissing the badge and all of that ****e he left him self open for that kinda thing.

After him kissing the badge and all of that ****e he left him self open for that kinda thing.

No. He didn't. Halfwits calling some young lad of 19 a c*nt, etc.. FFS

No. He didn't. Halfwits calling some young lad of 19 a c*nt, etc.. FFS

I never did. I didn't call him that. I said he was a mercenary and probably worse than Grealish in that regard. Who called him that?

That he deserved.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That he deserved.

I don't see how insults were ever going to sway him if he was having doubts. Surely it would only reinforce his decision?

Fair enough, he played underage all the way up but he was born in UK. Flipside of chasing UK-born players is them declaring for their country of birth. If players are insulted for doing that, don't think it will do much to convince the next UK born player to declare for Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement