Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I don't rate him. Poor in midfield and poor as a defender. Plus his free taking is not nearly as good as people suggest. I would rate O'Dowda and Stevens ahead of him even now.
    The dots were for how well Burnley are doing with starters like him.

O'Dowda, Stevens and Brady are all allowed to be in the squad..

That fair? You can't choose multiple O'Dowda's and Stevens?

I don't think Brady is the sole reason Burnley are struggling in the Premier League, same reason I don't think Enda Stevens is the sole reason Sheffield United are doing well in the Championship.

I have given a balanced appraisal of Brady a few posts ago which most fans agree with I think. I think you calling him a player that wouldn't get in a championship team or isn't good enough for IRELANDS international squad isn't balanced. There are a lot of players getting in the Irish squad and even team poorer than Brady or in worse form or playing for worse teams but some of them still merit a spot as we don't have a vast array of options

I would definitely thinks he deserves a fresh start und Mick as we all know he is better than what he has shown under MON and his awful game plan which didn't encourage a player like Brady to actually play football. It's pretty damn obvious MON's "tactics" inhibited Brady. He was basically told to camp in his own half and not try to hold on to the ball or pick out a pass.

Brady is capable of far better than he has shown the last 2 years so let's hope he can revive a bit of form again under a manager that encourages a pass.

I think if we limit the team to players who did well in a green shirt in the past 2 years, we don’t just lose Brady...we are down to Randolph and Duffy...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Randolph must be one of the best keepers in the world if we only go by international standard.

I like how people talk about technically gifted players not being good enough when McClean, for all his hard work, is an exceptionally poor footballer.

Anyhow, I see Rice has signed a new contract with West Ham. I would imagine we'll know where he's going quite soon.

For people saying 'all signs point towards him declaring for England', the last time he spoke about the subject was in the Sunday Times shortly after Sky ran the story of him declaring, where he said very clearly that it was complete lies.

Faugheen wrote: »

Anyhow, I see Rice has signed a new contract with West Ham. I would imagine we'll know where he's going quite soon.

For people saying 'all signs point towards him declaring for England', the last time he spoke about the subject was in the Sunday Times shortly after Sky ran the story of him declaring, where he said very clearly that it was complete lies.

Yeah, next few weeks should get an answer. Massive coup by West Ham to tie him to a 5 year contract, going to get a tasty buck out of a player from the academy in 2 or 3 years time when he moves on.
    David Gold has the champagne flowing right now I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If he's got a deal then that's it I'd say. Seemed to be a big sticking point for the geezers running West Ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I don't rate him. Poor in midfield and poor as a defender. Plus his free taking is not nearly as good as people suggest. I would rate O'Dowda and Stevens ahead of him even now.
    The dots were for how well Burnley are doing with starters like him.

So you can name two midfielders you think are better than Brady, please name all the midfielders you think should be keeping him out of an international squad?

You say he barley starts in championship (hes regular starter in premier) then you name a championship player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Patww79 wrote: »
    If he's got a deal then that's it I'd say. Seemed to be a big sticking point for the geezers running West Ham.

While I'm inclined to agree with you Pat I'd say the lads running West Ham also don't want to lose out on a big pay day or lose a top young player just because he doesn't want to play for England. So even if he said no I'm playing for Ireland I doubt they'd refuse him a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah but he's a regular starter for ............... Burnley, and as such international standard.

He's been back like two months and has two assists for Burnley.

Weird picking on the odd Irish game instead of the 40 odd he plays for a Premier league team.

Anyway, all irrelevant. We've much bigger problems than one or two posters' unusual focus on Brady.

You would have to imagine Rice held the cards in this situation though. Not David Gold. Rice is in demand and WH really needed him to commit now rather than letting his contract wittle down and his market value plummet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

While I'm inclined to agree with you Pat I'd say the lads running West Ham also don't want to lose out on a big pay day or lose a top young player just because he doesn't want to play for England. So even if he said no I'm playing for Ireland I doubt they'd refuse him a new contract.

I'd be thinking along the same lines only for it's Gold. I'd well believe that man could do anything.

Anyway, it's all irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because as I still think as soon as he initially pulled out of that first squad then that was him gone. The big delay and 'talks' are only lip service.

I genuinely think a few of the top 6 clubs would have taken a chance on Rice right now as an investment, Arsenal Spurs or Utd (even a squad player investment for Liverpool). So he was far from desperate to be held to ransom by Gold over whether or not he played for England which the WH hierarchy would prefer him to naturally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So you can name two midfielders you think are better than Brady, please name all the midfielders you think should be keeping him out of an international squad?

You say he barley starts in championship (hes regular starter in premier) then you name a championship player?

He's over-rated imo.
    It also doesn't matter which league you play in if you're good enough. I don't believe he is. It's a matter of opinion based on what I've seen from him. I also don't think Mc Clean is either. Any of the others would be better imo.

He's over-rated imo.
    It also doesn't matter which league you play in if you're good enough. I don't believe he is. It's a matter of opinion based on what I've seen from him. I also don't think Mc Clean is either. Any of the others would be better imo.

I randomly don't think you're good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He's over-rated imo.

Ah ere just stop digging.

He's over-rated imo.

The thing is I think you are over rating or over exaggerating how exactly he is rated, I think that is the issue here.

Most people give a balanced opinion of Brady here and his form over the two years for us , you seem to be degrading him unfairly. You weren't even aware his club status a few days ago to be fair. If you are making your mind up on his capability and how poor a player you think he is based on playing under MON, it isn't a fair assessment. Anyone will tell you that. I'd have a look at him playing for Burnley also to see what he can offer us if a manager can allow him to actually play football.

• Advertisement

He's over-rated imo.

You brought up the club and league he plays in, in fact you didn't even know which league he played in. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

"Any of the others"? Please name the players who should keep him out of the squad, please, I could do with a laugh.

The thing is I think you are over rating or over exaggerating how exactly he is rated, I think that is the issue here.

Most people give a balanced opinion of Brady here and his form over the two years for us , you seem to be degrading him unfairly. You weren't even aware his club status a few days ago to be fair. If you are making your mind up on his capability and how poor a player you think he is based on playing under MON, it isn't a fair assessment. Anyone will tell you that. I'd have a look at him playing for Burnley also to see what he can offer us if a manager can allow him to actually play football.

I'm judging players on how they perform for Ireland. They are all triers but I don't think that several of them, Brady included, are good enough. That is my opinion based on what I've seen from them.
    There is a possibility that they might play better under Mick but I doubt it. However I'll be the first to acknowledge that I was wrong if they prove me wrong.

I'm judging players on how they perform for Ireland. They are all triers but I don't think that several of them, Brady included, are good enough. That is my opinion based on what I've seen from them.
    There is a possibility that they might play better under Mick but I doubt it. However I'll be the first to acknowledge that I was wrong if they prove me wrong.

None of them are "good enough" but they are the best that we have. You've still yet to say who should make the squad instead of him, "all the others" could mean every other man in Ireland.

So judge some players and their worthiness to play for the Irish INTERNATIONAL team from how they have played for Ireland the last couple of years? What has Enda Stevens or O'Dowda really done for us to be shouting about?

Well we have to put together some sort of an 11.........so throw out this 11 you believe are good enough for the Irish INTERNATIONAL team and indeed the 23 you think are worthy of our INTERNATIONAL squad. You deflect the question and the fact you didn't even know about what club he played for, never mind what league he plays in a few days back.

None of them are "good enough" but they are the best that we have. You've still yet to say who should make the squad instead of him, "all the others" could mean every other man in Ireland.

Stevens is a better left back.
    O'Dowda a better left sided midfielder.

It's an opinion as I've said over and over.

• Advertisement

Well we have to put together some sort of an 11.........so throw out this 11 you believe are good enough for the Irish INTERNATIONAL team and indeed the 23 you think are worthy of our INTERNATIONAL squad. You deflect the question and the fact you didn't even know about what club he played for, never mind what league he plays in a few days back.

Where have I said that I didn't know which club he played for or what league he played in?

noodler wrote: »
    I randomly don't think you're good enough.

I've seen this spoiled brat stuff from you before with other posters.
    " mammy, he doesn't agree with me boo hoo"

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'd be thinking along the same lines only for it's Gold. I'd well believe that man could do anything.

Anyway, it's all irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because as I still think as soon as he initially pulled out of that first squad then that was him gone. The big delay and 'talks' are only lip service.

You do realise it takes months for the paperwork to go through if a player switches alliegience? If he wanted to be in the England squad for March he would have had to start proceedings over a month ago. He can't exactly do it on the sly either as the FAI have to rubber stamp it.

I'm not suggesting that he's definitely going to pick us, I just believe him when he says he's thinking about it because if he was gone and wanted to play for England in March, he would have left by now.

I’d be more comfortable about the prospect of Rice playing for Ireland if the news was that he was leaving West Ham.

Staying could mean that all matters are worked out, the big salary, the long contract...and the agreement that when the dust settles, he repays them by playing for England.

Stevens is a better left back.
    O'Dowda a better left sided midfielder.

It's an opinion as I've said over and over.

So you can name 1 left back an 1 midfielder better than him (in your opinion) so hes "not good enough"? You post something ridiculous then expect to be challenged on it.

I’d be more comfortable about the prospect of Rice playing for Ireland if the news was that he was leaving West Ham.

Staying could mean that all matters are worked out, the big salary, the long contract...and the agreement that when the dust settles, he repays them by playing for England.

You think he "repays" West Ham by playing for England?

I don't think Brady is good enough for international football.
    Barely makes the C/ship.
    Tries hard but hasn't the quality needed.
    Where have I said that I didn't know which club he played for or what league he played in?

See above.

So you can name 1 left back an 1 midfielder better than him (in your opinion) so hes "not good enough"? You post something ridiculous then expect to be challenged on it.

I posted the names of two players who played in his positions for Ireland.
    It's not that hard to understand. Read it slowly.

See above.

Meant that he is barely fit for the C/ship. Thought you understood that.

Nah, Rice held all the cards in that negotiation. He had a year left in his contract. He is clearly in demand. West Ham have managed to "tie him down" for 5 years. His market value is gone up considerably now.

• Advertisement

So he is fit for first team football in the PL but barely fit for the league below? :confused:

Righteo.

So he is fit for first team football in the PL but barely fit for the league below? :confused:

Righteo.

As I see it.
    Watch this space as he could be back there soon enough.

Where dya think Stevens/O'Dowda should be? Champions League maybe?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Where dya think Stevens/O'Dowda should be? Champions League maybe?

No but I think they're better than Brady who I don't rate and which seems to annoy everyone here.

Trust me, I'm reading everything you say slowly because I can't believe someone would type the gibberish you are. Multiple managers think hes good enough. They think hes good enough to start every game hes fit for in the premier league too.

Hes been one of our best players in recent times bar the last 18 months In which he has been injured for most of that time

No but I think they're better than Brady who I don't rate and which seems to annoy everyone here.

Its not so much you not rating him. If you just left it at "I don't like him". Its trying to use some kind of metric of his talent to show he is somehow inferior to players at a lower level :pac:

You think he "repays" West Ham by playing for England?

There was a suggestion that Rice was switching to England because he was being pressurized by the club owners as it would increase his value.

So I’m just speculating that, now he’s continuing with those owners, maybe they’re saying “we’ll agree to your demands...just give us one that one thing”.

As I see it.
    Watch this space as he could be back there soon enough.

So you are willing to judge him in a hypothetical scenario that he could be playing championship football next season yet unwilling to judge him when he is at the moment a starter for a PL team?

You judge Brady from his international performances which are on a par with most of our squad (except for the fact we know Brady is capable of better) yet Stevens isn't judged on his performances at that level which were no better, no worse?

It's very hard to take you seriously at this stage.

From my reckoning you are placing a higher standard on Brady and a lower standard on players like Stevens and judging them against that standard? So Stevens is always going to be performing better at the lower standard you expect of him?

Brady is a better footballer than Stevens. He would get into any team ahead of him.
    That is the way I analyse things when comparing players.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its not so much you not rating him. If you just left it at "I don't like him". Its trying to use some kind of metric of his talent to show he is somehow inferior to players at a lower level :pac:

I think they're better players than him, that's why.
    We will let the future decide under Mick how good Brady is compared to them for Ireland and if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it. Give it a full campaign though as Mick will be experimenting in friendly games.

• Advertisement

So you are willing to judge him in a hypothetical scenario that he could be playing championship football next season yet unwilling to judge him when he is at the moment a starter for a PL team?

You judge Brady from his international performances which are on a par with most of our squad (except for the fact we know Brady is capable of better) yet Stevens isn't judged on his performances at that level which were no better, no worse?

It's very hard to take you seriously at this stage.

From my reckoning you are placing a higher standard on Brady and a lower standard on players like Stevens and judging them against that standard? So Stevens is always going to be performing better at the lower standard you expect of him?

Brady is a better footballer than Stevens. He would get into any team ahead of him.
    That is the way I analyse things when comparing players.

Again, we will see them under Mick playing for Ireland.
    I know who I'll be backing and so do you.

But you dont think he should be there so how will we know if hes good enough? His form dropped at the same time the whole squad did. None of them have been good enough the last 18 months of o Niels reign an he has been injured for most of that.

Mick doesn't have any friendly to experiment either, competitive games in march are they not?

I will be hoping Brady reverts to the player he is capable of being under a new manager.
    I would like to think most fans will.

Stevens failed in the PL when offered the opportunity,and has flip flopped around divisions for years, Brady is in his sixth top flight season despite an amass of injuries .

Brady was one of our brightest talents and has ammassed 40 caps but his form has clearly dropped in tandem with all our players since the Euros,he had a great Euros. Stevens has played a few minutes this year because of injuries and done ok.

So saying you judge them on their performances and league level is not true.

But you dont think he should be there so how will we know if hes good enough? His form dropped at the same time the whole squad did. None of them have been good enough the last 18 months of o Niels reign an he has been injured for most of that.

Mick doesn't have any friendly to experiment either, competitive games in march are they not?

I'm not picking the team, Mick is, so from that point of view nobody knows who Mick thinks is good enough. Mick inherited what was there so unless a few others accept the call he has what he has.

They will have panel games surely in training get together if no friendly is possible. Not a satisfactory start to Micks reign but it can't really be helped.

I've seen this condescending tone you use with other posters who disagree with you before.

Would you not just admit you hadn't realised how long he'd been injured for recently?

I will be hoping Brady reverts to the player he is capable of being under a new manager.
    I would like to think most fans will.

Stevens failed in the PL when offered the opportunity,and has flip flopped around divisions for years, Brady is in his sixth top flight season despite an amass of injuries .

Brady was one of our brightest talents and has ammassed 40 caps but his form has clearly dropped in tandem with all our players since the Euros,he had a great Euros. Stevens has played a few minutes this year because of injuries and done ok.

So saying you judge them on their performances and league level is not true.

So you agree his form dropped but you had to qualify it by saying everyone's form dropped. Jesus you can be amusing. And he wasn't one of our brightest talents either. That's not true.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I've seen this condescending tone you use with other posters who disagree with you before.

Would you not just admit you hadn't realised how long he'd been injured for recently?

Yes I knew he was injured as I follow football and have done for over 50 years.
    On the condescending front you have met your match.

So you agree his form dropped

but you had to qualify it by saying everyone's form dropped.

Jesus you can be amusing.

And he wasn't one of our brightest talents either.

That's not true.

I have consistently said his form has dropped for Ireland. I have made that abundantly clear.

And yes, I am qualifying it by virtue of the fact that all our players appear to be completely inhibited by MON and most have shown at club level they are capable of better. Simple reasoning to deduce that playing in a team under a manager who wants you camped in your half and doesn't encourage a pass will mean a game will easily pass a player like Brady by and suck the confidence out of him. Noone had a clue what MON said to him or where he told him to play?

Thank you for the compliment. I am not trying to be amusing though.

Yes he was one of our brightest talents, he has played 6 seasons in the PL, commanded a club record 16 million transfer price in his early 20s, played with great praise against teams like Italy and France at the Euros etc etc............. I think it's pretty obvious he was recognised as a talent.

So that is true.

I have consistently said his form has dropped. I have made that abundantly clear.

And yes, I am qualifying it by virtue of the fact that all our players appear to be completely inhibited by MON and most have shown at club level they are capable of better. Simple reasoning to deduce that playing in a team under a manager who wants you camped in your half and doesn't encourage a pass will mean a game will easily pass a player like Brady by and suck the confidence out of him.

Thank you for the compliment. I am not trying to be amusing though.

Yes he was one of our brightest talents, he has played 6 seasons in the PL, commanded a club record 16 million transfer price, played with great praise against teams like Italy and France at the Euros etc etc.............

So that is true.

I'll agree with you regarding MON.
    Everyone was a defender under him.
    The judge is still out on the rest for me so we'll wait and see how they do under Mick.

I'll agree with you regarding MON.
    Everyone was a defender under him.
    The judge is still out on the rest for me so we'll wait and see how they do under Mick.

You are slowly coming around Tayto! You will be his biggest cheerleader soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

The only player who has sunk as low as brady and hendrick is coleman -aside from the the injury the guy has been poor for us a long time only a mather of time when hes going to lose his Everton spot

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement