Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You are slowly coming around Tayto! You will be his biggest cheerleader soon :D

I can't see it but if he does I'll acknowledge it for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

You would imagine Declan has his mind made up and it's just a matter of announcing it now that his contract is sorted. And if he knows now surely he had a fair idea when he met Mick for this "positive meeting". You would be very disappointed in him as he switches now. You would hope he indicated to Mick he will be returning but wanted no announcements until his contract is finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Zico ! wrote: »
    The only player who has sunk as low as brady and hendrick is coleman -aside from the the injury the guy has been poor for us a long time only a mather of time when hes going to lose his Everton spot

I think Hendrick has fallen way more than Brady.

Think Coleman is still doing OK, just not going to be "class" anymore.

Still likely to be far and away Ireland's best option in the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Patww79 wrote: »

Such a shame poor old Rice can't use his own mouth/twitter to adress things. Maybe hes making a Griezmann-esque video to do a big reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

pjohnson wrote: »
    Such a shame poor old Rice can't use his own mouth/twitter to adress things. Maybe hes making a Griezmann-esque video to do a big reveal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decision_(TV_program)

I guess last week he hadn't committed his future to employers who want him to change countries and tout him as the next English captain, invoking Bobby Moore.

Now he has.

I said yesterday I felt him signing a contract with West Ham and hitching his future very firmly to Gold and Sullivan had to be bad news for Ireland. I was puzzled by the reaction here. I hope my pessimism is misplaced but...

I guess last week he hadn't committed his future to employers who want him to change countries and tout him as the next English captain, invoking Bobby Moore.

Now he has.

I said yesterday I felt him signing a contract with West Ham and hitching his future very firmly to Gold and Sullivan had to be bad news for Ireland. I was puzzled by the reaction here. I hope my pessimism is misplaced but...

He lucky he's not as spineless on the pitch at least.

Well after the reports of last week this would be embarrassing now because there would be no way he didn't know when he had the meeting with McCarthy. He doesn't come out of this well now in the eyes of Irish supporters if he switches. Let's hope last week's report's are true and not this although neither has any firm evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That article basically says ...........nothing.

Like all the articles before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Now he has.

Yeah thats just irrelevant really. "Committed his future" is a cute sentimemt but in reality it just means hes more expensive to buy. If the Manchester clubs decide he could be an alternative to Matic/Fernandinho he is off. Whether he wears green or white has no impact he has Homegrown status anyway which is what matters. If he keeps up his current form its highly unlikely he'll be in maroon in 12 months time.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah thats just irrelevant really.

The employers paying him Stg£8 million has stated they see him as a future England captain...so it appears very relevant to them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

Very strange how a paper can do a complete u-turn on a story they broke. Although this is written by a different reporter so that could be something to do with it.

The employers paying him Stg£8 million has stated they see him as a future England captain...so it appears very relevant to them anyway.

True they have made their feelings known but what if they said they weren't paying him that money. They lose a valuable asset for next to nothing. As someone already mentioned. Declan held the cards in this negotiation and no way should those guys have had sway over his international future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I hope Im wrong but at his contract negotiations didnt the West Ham chairman toute Rice as the next england captain - does he know something we dont ?

Sin City wrote: »
    I hope Im wrong but at his contract negotiations didnt the West Ham chairman toute Rice as the next england captain - does he know something we dont ?

Gold didn't even know he played for Ireland back then, I am sure that would be his (Gold) preferred option as it adds another 15 - 20 million on the price tag, let's be honest, but at the end of the day Rice held the cards in those negotiations. West Ham were desperate to get him to "commit" to a long term contract so they can cash in on him in (most likely) in 2020, 2021 at the latest (imo).

Rice wont be playing for long for WH, relatively speaking, Gold knows that. This fairytale sh*te about Bobby Moore is just soundbytes to keep the fans onside. Rice was being offered 15 grand a week a few months ago, the fact is that wage has doubled in price. Clearly he held the power in those negotiations so I can't see him being blackmailed into playing for England just to get a contract.

So, the rest is up to Rice who he wants to play for, which still could easily swing both ways. It is getting absolutely ridiculous at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Absolutely nothing in the article it’s mad how people are jumping from yes to no with every printed article that says absolutely nothing

Gold called him an England captain along time ago, the man is a fool and talks crap constantly.

Rice held all the cards here.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Very strange how a paper can do a complete u-turn on a story they broke. Although this is written by a different reporter so that could be something to do with it.

Independent are a glorified tabloid at this stage. That was just a clickbait article. Basically just told us about the contract details that every other media medium told us last night but with a little added "England manager Gareth Southgate is believed to be increasingly hopeful of the 19-year-old coming aboard."

Like that is a load of bolloney. It means nothing. They could replace it with Mick McCarthy is BELIEVED to be increasingly hopeful of the 19 year old staying aboard"

It just adds another "layer" to the article to mak it stand out from the rest. It tells us absolutely nothing new.

An line from an article a few days ago on the same paper - again, tells us nothing new (same line will be copy and pasted a few days from now I imagine and so on and so forth)

"Senior FAI officials within the association believe that London-born Rice is prepared to commit his future to the country he has represented all the way through the underage ranks."

I am sick of "It is believed" headlines on the matter, there is no evidence to suggest any of these "It is believed" articles hold any substance as they have been consistently proved outdated before the narrative of the "it is believed" story flips again.

Horses mouth is all I am interested in.

• Advertisement

Horses mouth is all we can go on really but McCarthy saying he had a positive meeting gives me some hope as I believe Declan would have known his intentions so why mislead him. But we know nothing until he puts this to bed. Remember Sky reporting a few months back the process of changing paperwork had begun. Just can't trust any of these outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If the paperwork had started it would be strange if that hadn't leaked out by now.
    Iirc the FAI would have to be involved in the process and it would already be started for Rice to be involved for the March games.

Either way we will know soon enough.

yabadabado wrote: »
    If the paperwork had started it would be strange if that hadn't leaked out by now.
    Iirc the FAI would have to be involved in the process and it would already be started for Rice to be involved for the March games.

Either way we will know soon enough.

In October the media said that 6 weeks was needed.

So still in time...but not much...

Think it took something like 7 months for Grealish paperwork to be sorted so the fact that process hasn't begun is hopefully a good sign.

It has to be filed this week so there is a worrying coincidence to this contract announcement, I will concede. Important game tomorrow so I don't think we will hear any announcement until after that at the earliest.

In October the media said that 6 weeks was needed.

So still in time...but not much...

I thought it was a longer process.Had 14/16 weeks in my head for some reason.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

sugarman wrote: »
    I dont see the point in all the speculation, nobody knows anything yet... one week hes choosing Ireland, the next its England ..both based on absolutely nothing other than a close unnamed "Source" and zilch from the player.

Look at it this way...

If I'm in job, I might be looking at others advertised elsewhere. Ones with better career progression, wages etc... I might go for an interview to see whats on offer, I might be offered it. I might take it, I might not take it. I might discuss it with friends and family too while mulling over it. I might even tell one or two Im thinking I'll go for it. In the end, I weigh it up and decide I'm probably better off where I am. Im not going to tell every single body my every thought and move I make, even to those closest to me.

...and I fell its the same for Rice here, maybe his father or agent have an idea but even they might not know his true intent yet.

This isn’t the same thing. It would be more similar if you told your boss not to roster you for any work because you’re contemplating moving to another company and you won’t return to work until such a time as you decide whether or not you want to continue employment there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

An irrelevant detail, my point was know one knows a thing.. even if they might think they do.

Then in that case your entire post was irrelevant. You’re the one that went into a big story about it. If you simply meant nobody knows then just say that. Don’t create a detailed story and when someone interacts tell them it’s irrelevant.

Jesus clubs really assign ridiculous numbers these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Jesus clubs really assign ridiculous numbers these days.

Probably the year his parents were born. Just to make you feel old ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Adam O’Reilly made his Preston debut today at age 17. Albeit only for a few minutes.

Also great games for Matt Doherty and John Egan.

The future is bright.

Be interesting to see what Mick does with Doherty.
    Coleman is captain and probably the best player we have on form but hasn't looked back to his best yet.
    Play Doherty as RW or try him at LB ?

He has a strange role for Wolves and one that I can't see us playing similar to.
    I'd probably give him the RW spot ,could be a good combo up and down that flank with Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what Mick does with Doherty.
    Coleman is captain and probably the best player we have on form but hasn't looked back to his best yet.
    Play Doherty as RW or try him at LB ?

He has a strange role for Wolves and one that I can't see us playing similar to.
    I'd probably give him the RW spot ,could be a good combo up and down that flank with Coleman.

tbh if it came to a straight choice between Coleman and Doc, Doc for me every day but i think both will be accommodated comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

If there was a dilemma between Coleman and Doherty in current form, the Wolves man all day long. Seamus has not returned to his previous brilliance just yet, hopefully he will .

tbh if it came to a straight choice between Coleman and Doc, Doc for me every day but i think both will be accommodated comfortably.

Let's not make "Doc" a thing.....

Doc is a nickname often given to Docherty. It makes no sense to call Doherty Doc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Let's not make "Doc" a thing.....

Doc is a nickname often given to Docherty. It makes no sense to call Doherty Doc!

You're right of course. :o

Or when the English say Dough-erty.

You're right of course. :o

Always :D I have never been wrong on the internet! 100% record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone think there is any truth to the whole getting Redmond to play ?
    He'd be a very good player for us and with Big Mick being a granny rule man himself im sure he would have no issues,

...with Big Mick being a granny rule man himself...

Whew, first time I scanned it I didn’t see the word “rule”.

• Advertisement

Whew, first time I scanned it I didn’t see the word “rule”.

Speaking of which, Wayne Rooney would have qualified too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone think there is any truth to the whole getting Redmond to play ?
    He'd be a very good player for us and with Big Mick being a granny rule man himself im sure he would have no issues,

He'd be an improvement on what we have currently and would settle in quickly with Long and Obafemi already his teammates.

If he's interested, why not. I do wonder though how likely a lot of these names are. I recall Jamie O'Hara being regularly linked some years back, while Mark Noble's name is still occasionally mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

He'd be an improvement on what we have currently and would settle in quickly with Long and Obafemi already his teammates.

If he's interested, why not. I do wonder though how likely a lot of these names are. I recall Jamie O'Hara being regularly linked some years back, while Mark Noble's name is still occasionally mentioned.

I think if we begin doing this with players who might be eligible we are going to really lose our identity and possibly a disconnect with supporters. He has played over 70 times for England underage. This is a step too far tbh. The Rice situation is see differently

When I see Callum Robinson playing for us, it still feels a bit weird tbh. If we this with too many players it wouldnt feel right for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Coleman starting on the bench today :-(

Coleman on the bench

Nonsense, some of our best players have been granny rulers. Most notably during the Charlton era.. some of whom had never been in the country prior to a call up, some didn't know which national anthem was which! ...all gave 100% and most became honourary Irish men in the making.

Sure in Redmond's case, isn't his mam Irish born and his dad 2nd gen Jamaican? He grew up in an Irish community in Birmingham anyway. More ties than most with a distant granny/granda they didn't know.

Dont think any of the Charlton era featured predominately for England or Scotland underage. Redmond has a senior cap for England in a friendly was their best player in an U21 tournament a few years back.

Rightly so, green tinted glasses off he's unfortunately been ****e since coming back ...jonjoe deserves his chance.

I really think thats hyperbole.

"****e" I mean.

• Advertisement

Nonsense, some of best players have been granny rulers. Most notably during the Charlton era.. some of whom had never been in the country prior to a call up, some didn't know which national anthem was which! ...all gave 100% and most became honourary Irish men.

Sure in Redmond's case, isn't his mam Irish born and his dad 2nd gen Jamaican? He grew up in an Irish community in Birmingham anyway.

I would take Redmond, Rice, Robinson in a heartbeat but there is, when you talk about the likes of Redmond and Robinson a difference between them and all the granny rule (well most of afaik) players of the 80s and 90s in that those two have amassed dozens of English underage (even up to under 21) caps between them.

That is just a fact. Not a pivotal one one but having "multiple" cast offs, which they are, like it or not, (if it keeps happening) from English youth system, I can see why some people may be not so enthusiastic about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement