Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Has Coleman been benched?
    He has been poor for awhile anyway.
    Didn't get over the horrible 'tackle' that smashed his leg imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Has Coleman been benched?
    He has been poor for awhile anyway.
    Didn't get over the horrible 'tackle' that smashed his leg imo.

Coleman still a decent way ahead of Kenny on this performance.

Did the FAI end of year awards get dropped last year or did i just miss them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Did the FAI end of year awards get dropped last year or did i just miss them?

I think they are in March.

It would really be embarrassing if they were anywhere before McCarthy got a game under his belt!

They will be extremely embarrassing though as they are!

Coleman still a decent way ahead of Kenny on this performance.

Yes indeed but is he ahead of Doherty?

• Advertisement

I can't see them both not accommodated in the line up. It is going to be interesting. It isn't the worst dilemna we have faced, even if Coleman isn't the player he was before the

If it was only one or the other, It would be a questionable choice to choose Coleman ahead of Doherty based on form, to say the least

it would be great if we had that problem for every position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Burke got yet another start for Preston. No sign of Towell or Browne.

Edit - Ah, Browne is one of 11 PNE players injured (hamstring) so that explains his absence and Burke playing too.

Towell suspended and Manning recalled to QPR.

_

sugarman wrote: »
    McGoldrick with another goal, thats 4 in his last 5 and 9th this season. If he keeps it up I can see him leading the line for Mick come March.

Options appear to be extremely light anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

But thats besides the point, what I was trying to say is at least someone like Redmond has closer ties with Ireland with his mam being Irish born and being brought up within an Irish community compared to someone like Townsend, Lawenson, Houghton etc.. who only had Irish grannys and only chose us because they weren't getting a look in with England or Scotland.

I agree with your general point but Houghton's dad is from Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Many watching the Cardiff/Spurs game? Hows Cunningham playing?

Was searching Twitter to see if Burke was decent today and came across this. With Burke, Boyle, Maguire, Horgan, all flopping, who's the last direct signing from the domestic league here that's worked out? Browne?

https://twitter.com/DeepdaleDigest/status/1078721404374339584?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Coleman starting on the bench today :-(

Wouldn't read much into it unless he's on the bench again for their next league game. Christmas fixtures can be hectic, games on the 23rd, 26th and 29th which Coleman played so probably rested more than just dropped today.

You can hardly call Maguire a flop, 10 goals last season in 24 appearances. Been very unfortunate with injuries.

Boyle, Horgan and O'Connor all done well when brought in initially under Grayson. When Neill came in he didn't give any of them chance and told them they're free to leave.

Burke is a weird one, you wonder why they bothered if they weren't going to play him. Started off the season well with 2 goals over 3 or 4 games then was benched / making sporadic appearances until this last week.

But yeah.. most were free signings and probably signed for the sake of it or trying to make a few bob selling on.

Maguire is grand when he's playing but sometimes it's just not bad luck. If you're injury prone then you're as much use as someone who is playing badly and the bottom line is that he's not contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

PNE fans can hardly be that annoyed over Irish players that don't work out for them, they sign most of them for free.

most have played well for them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is Maguire still injured?

Just started watching the Sunderland documentry today and got me thinking it really is a sad end for John O'Shea's career, looking like 3 relegations in 3 years after so many good years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

pgj2015 wrote: »
    PNE fans can hardly be that annoyed over Irish players that don't work out for them, they sign most of them for free.

most have played well for them as well.

Think its wiser for the best LOI talent to move to League One and find their feet in English football. The Championship is a very high level of football with a number of players of International quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just started watching the Sunderland documentry today and got me thinking it really is a sad end for John O'Shea's career, looking like 3 relegations in 3 years after so many good years

Unfortunately he seems to be a key reason for those relegations. Three years in a row leading porous defenses.

Duffy has got one against West Ham.

• Advertisement

Chested it down and volleyed it into the back of the net. His 4th this season.

Maybe Mick will stick him up top like he did with Gary Doherty!

I think Doherty was a striker before a defender!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Patww79 wrote: »
    Brady has got one too. A red card that is!ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Did Rice tell him he's switching too England ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Did Rice tell him he's switching too England ?

I wish he'd tell someone. Anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I think Doherty was a striker before a defender!

That was Stephen Ward I think, played up front for Bohs.

Doherty played up front for Spurs, before becoming a defender, was quite popular with fans also........nicknamed the Ginger Pele and Dublin's Dion (after Dion Dublin who also played both up front and in defence) - even though he was born in Donegal!

Finding the hype in the press about the possibility Coleman could be dropped quite amusing. We haven’t an established midfielder or striker in good form and we are talking about dropping our best player over the past few years. The likes of McClean (and many others) in absolutely awful form for about a year yet Coleman is the one taking the flack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Finding the hype in the press about the possibility Coleman could be dropped quite amusing. We haven’t an established midfielder or striker in good form and we are talking about dropping our best player over the past few years. The likes of McClean (and many others) in absolutely awful form for about a year yet Coleman is the one taking the flack.

Everybody knows McClean isn't up to much. However Coleman has lost a yard of pace after the injury and is in poor form. It just so happens that the Irish player in the best form over the last year is Matt Doherty. It's not a crazy thing to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

In other news Cillian Sherdian has signed for Wellington Phoenix in the A League, probably him effectively finished in an Ireland shirt but fair play to him.

He'll do well there. A good signing for the Nux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's in the cold with his club team and isn't playing well, while we have a lad who plays a similar position potentially in contention for Premier League XI of the season. Football is a cruel game.

McCarthy's history suggests he's not averse to making tough selection decisions that discommode "name" players at the expense of up and comers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

He's in the cold with his club team and isn't playing well, while we have a lad who plays a similar position potentially in contention for Premier League XI of the season. Football is a cruel game.

McCarthy's history suggests he's not averse to making tough selection decisions that discommode "name" players at the expense of up and comers.

Told Dennis Irwin to "go out and prove himself".

I think it’s fanciful to think we could leave a player of Coleman’s talent and experience on the bench. If we had a good established left back or right winger then maybe but we don’t. It looks on the right side that our best option is Coleman at full back and Doherty on the wing.

The media trying to say this is mccarthys big headache is laughable.

I think it’s fanciful to think we could leave a player of Coleman’s talent and experience on the bench. If we had a good established left back or right winger then maybe but we don’t. It looks on the right side that our best option is Coleman at full back and Doherty on the wing.

The media trying to say this is mccarthys big headache is laughable.

If Coleman was not playing well and was a liability then like any other player in the same boat he could and should be left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Bookies have Coleman on his way to Celtic...or out of Everton. Could be what he needs.....

If Coleman was not playing well and was a liability then like any other player in the same boat he could and should be left out.

I think its a bit much to suggest he could become a liability at this stage. It’s a question of would the team be stronger with him and its hard to envisage with our current talent pool and the form being shown by those in the squad that we are better with him.

If people want to pick a team without him then please do..

• Advertisement

Bookies have Coleman on his way to Celtic...or out of Everton. Could be what he needs.....

Big step down for him at this stage of his career, think people are reading too much into it anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Big step down for him at this stage of his career, think people are reading too much into it anyways

Depends on how much the last injury has really effected him...

I think its a bit much to suggest he could become a liability at this stage. It’s a question of would the team be stronger with him and its hard to envisage with our current talent pool and the form being shown by those in the squad that we are better with him.

If people want to pick a team without him then please do..

I Said "if".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone think there is any truth to the whole getting Redmond to play ?
    He'd be a very good player for us and with Big Mick being a granny rule man himself im sure he would have no issues,

Poster, who the fcuk are us ?

How are people supposed to figure out who you are talking about?

I am using the m.boards.ie site on my phone so I have no visibility on your signature, avatar etc so I've no idea if you have given a clue to who us are in that.

And I'm not going to start going through your posting history to see who you support.

So who is Redmond and who is he playing for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I am using the m.boards.ie site on my phone so I have no visibility on your signature, avatar etc so I've no idea if you have given a clue to who us are in that.

And I'm not going to start going through your posting history to see who you support.

Look at what thread you’re in ffs....

• Advertisement

Republic of Ireland thread in the soccer forum. I'll give you three guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Mr Tod Uptious should be more Pres Umptious and credit the poster with not being stupid.

I'm guessing the OP i referring to the Angola National team.

Could be God, damn anyone though, considering how vague this thread title is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Obviously the "us" is referring to North Korea as our new overlords?

What an embarrassing post! The more I read it, the more ridiculous it looks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Father has had a little too much wine at mass tonight. I did ask him to stop

Look at what thread you’re in ffs....
    Republic of Ireland thread in the soccer forum. I'll give you three guesses.

My apologies to the poster in question

I completely mis-read his/her sentence.

I read "He'd be a very good player" as "He's been a very good player"

Apologies again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What an embarrassing post! The more I read it, the more ridiculous it looks!

What post? FFS I'm on mobile am I supposed to go through your post history? FFS what post.

Thats gunna be a contender for post of the year.

My apologies to the poster in question

I completely mis-read his/her sentence.

I read "He'd be a very good player" as "He's been a very good player"

Apologies again

Please don't delete it! It can become a running joke! Go knows we need some humour in Irish football at the minute

PS ........we means posters on this forum ;)

Please don't delete it! It can become a running joke! Go knows we need some humour in Irish football at the minute

PS ........we means posters on this forum ;)

Oh no plans to delete it

I'll take the flack for my inability to read the post in the first place, I deserve it

Anyway who the f**k does this Redmond guy play for at club level. I'm sure someone out there has at some stage refereed to them as "us"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement