Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Corholio wrote: »
    Quinns proposals for the league came across as someone who genuinely had no knowledge of the league for the past 10 years. Now I'm sure he has, but almost all of it was pie in the sky stuff. He came across like someone who had vaguely heard all the bad headlines about the league, about facilities etc and just came up with 'make this all better by doing this unrealistic thing'

On the Rice thing, I can only imagine he's declared now because they really wouldn't do something like that right?..........right?

I don’t think Niall Quinn has any knowledge of the league of Ireland to be honest.

His suggestions were to improve investment in Irish football.

Let’s forget about Quinn and putting forward ideas on how to improve the game.

What we need is Brian Kerr to give out about John Delaney and the FAI. That’s what’s really going to change things. Then we need someone to suggest a boycott of Irish games even though there is zero chance of that ever happening and if it did would cause huge harm to the financial well being of the game here.

The fact of it is that Quinn’s suggestions around increased government funding in centers of excellence is what is needed for our football economy to ever break free from just being a huge feeder club to UK clubs.

Or we should just give Brian Kerr and his magic wand a job in grassroots developments like most Irish fans seem to think is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I doubt Sweeney has any "beef" with Quinn.
    He's one one of the few sports journalists I've any time for, along with Daniel McDonnell.

People keep taking about Quinn like he's Warren Buffet and David Gill all rolled into one. He was chairman of Sunderland when the new owners needed a familiar face to get the fans onside.
    That was all of a 7 years ago, what has he done in football since? Is he or has he been head hunted by any of the 44 clubs in the top two tiers of English football?

As for his "business" background. I wouldn't call Q Sat a particularly successful venture.

Quinn is trying to make a name for himself in punditry. Discussions like this one help him achieve that. I have no doubt in a few months he'll come out with an even more outlandish idea that will top selling LOI TV rights to Africa or getting a E40 million tax break. And the papers will duely do him a favour by printing it.

Whatever about your thoughts on Quinn the article was vindictive at best. Every second line was a dig at Quinn, rather than actual constructive feedback.

It was just a sneery rant. That's the point.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The fact of it is that Quinn’s suggestions around increased government funding in centers of excellence is what is needed for our football economy to ever break free from just being a huge feeder club to UK clubs.

The fact of it is, when Quinn was part of a consortium with tens of millions to invest, they sunk it directly into a huge UK club.

And good for him. It was a business decision. But I’m always a bit circumspect when people talk about what others should do when they don’t do it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What we need is Brian Kerr to give out about John Delaney and the FAI. That’s what’s really going to change things. Then we need someone to suggest a boycott of Irish games even though there is zero chance of that ever happening and if it did would cause huge harm to the financial well being of the game here.

LOL. That's the whole point of a boycott. To hit the bastards in the pocket which is the only thing they'll take notice of.

And the financial well being of the game is already unwell.

Fair play to Quinn and others trying to cure the sport of its unfortunate virus.

LOL. That's the whole point of a boycott. To hit the bastards in the pocket which is the only thing they'll take notice of.

And the financial well being of the game is already unwell.

Fair play to Quinn and others trying to cure the sport of its unfortunate virus.

I thought Dots was being sarcastic...now I’m not sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

On a side note Sweeney reminds me of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys!

I'd respect Bubbles opinion more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The fact of it is, when Quinn was part of a consortium with tens of millions to invest, they sunk it directly into a huge UK club.

And good for him. It was a business decision. But I’m always a bit circumspect when people talk about what others should do when they don’t do it themselves.

Thats just a mental attitude BTW.

Absolutely ridiculous reason for current proposals to stand against him.

noodler wrote: »
    Thats just a mental attitude BTW.

Absolutely ridiculous reason for current proposals to stand against him.

Ach, I’m the same when Bono pontificates about more of our tax going on overseas aid when he does everything to avoid paying taxes here. Again, good for him, but I think it undermines his opinion.

Quinn could be right, could be wrong, but when he had the ear of people with millions to invest, not a cent went to the game here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

If people want change in the FAI then they have to stay away from international games and hit the FAI in the pocket. Only then have fans a chance of forcing change.

As for Quinn...the mans ideas may be a little OTT but at least he has ideas. If we could get provincial centers of excellence and one in Dublin for young lads to train in it would be a start. Lads up to maybe 15-16 have to stay with a LOI closest to them and if they move the club gets a small developement fee. If they go abroad then they get more.....

Personally feel Quinn is positioning himself for the new management team to run the LOI or for investment brokerage. Once the clubs have a say again maybe you will see developments that no one expected....more investors, maybe a streaming/TV deal, better sponsorship deals....
    I suspect Quinn is lining himself up to be a type of super agent for the LOI and potential investors. He did the same at Sunderland...was a face for investors.

Quinn could be right, could be wrong, but when he had the ear of people with millions to invest, not a cent went to the game here.

Not true. Sunderland bought a lot of players from the LOI when he was chief executive from what I remember. Roy odonovan was one but I think there were others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don’t think Niall Quinn has any knowledge of the league of Ireland to be honest.

His suggestions were to improve investment in Irish football.

Let’s forget about Quinn and putting forward ideas on how to improve the game.

Exactly the reason to ignore him to be honest, speaking about something he knows very little about when that very entity is core to his proposals. 'Build academies' is lovely and all, but unless he furthers his wondrous knowledge how exactly that could happen, it's a pig flying on a pie stuff.

Exactly the reason to ignore him to be honest, speaking about something he knows very little about when that very entity is core to his proposals. 'Build academies' is lovely and all, but unless he furthers his wondrous knowledge how exactly that could happen, it's a pig flying on a pie stuff.

Grand, we are going absolutely nowhere unless there is serious investment in Irish football. Quinn has identified that problem which is more than the “ have a boycott, sack Delaney and board, put Brian Kerr over the young lads” brigade ever do.

That’s it lads. You can dream about boycotts and that everything will be rosy once Delaney is out the door all you want. What football needs in this country is investment. That will be the problem long after Delaney is gone unless the government is shown by the media to be stingy when investing in sport which they are.

Not true. Sunderland bought a lot of players from the LOI when he was chief executive from what I remember. Roy odonovan was one but I think there were others.

You think clubs that buy players from Ireland are investing in Irish football?

So, like, when Reading got Doyle and Long for buttons, that was an investment in the game here?

I disagree.

Grand, we are going absolutely nowhere unless there is serious investment in Irish football. Quinn has identified that problem which is more than the “ have a boycott, sack Delaney and board, put Brian Kerr over the young lads” brigade ever do.

That’s it lads. You can dream about boycotts and that everything will be rosy once Delaney is out the door all you want. What football needs in this country is investment. That will be the problem long after Delaney is gone unless the government is shown by the media to be stingy when investing in sport which they are.

His big idea is more money. It's hardly rocket science. A lot of the people who you say are only after boycotts have been calling for more investment in Irish football for an eternity. Quinn is way, way down the list of people who have said that more investment is needed. He certainly hasn't 'identified it'.

His big idea is more money. It's hardly rocket science. A lot of the people who you say are only after boycotts have been calling for more investment in Irish football for an eternity. Quinn is way, way down the list of people who have said that more investment is needed. He certainly hasn't 'identified it'.

I haven’t once heard anyone anywhere in Ireland saying the government should be investing in Irish grassroots football infrastructure. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I haven’t once heard anyone anywhere in Ireland saying the government should be investing in Irish grassroots football infrastructure. Correct me if I’m wrong.

How about people that use, work and play in this infrastructure? Investment has been constantly wanted down the years.

Former Bohs player Ali Reghba, who is currently a trialist with Leicester, scored two goals tonight for their U-23 side and also won a penalty.

https://twitter.com/LCFC/status/1084939160287354881

He's an Ireland U-19 international but is also eligible for Algeria. Hope he's bagged himself a deal with that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

sugarman wrote: »
    In other news Cillian Sherdian has signed for Wellington Phoenix in the A League, probably him effectively finished in an Ireland shirt but fair play to him.
    He'll do well there. A good signing for the Nux.

Made his debut as a sub against Western Sydney Wanderers last week and got an assist, came on at HT against the Mariners at the weekend in a game Phoenix were losing 2-0. He was playing out to the left mainly but seemed to have a licence to roam and got on plenty of ball. Caused plenty of problems and could have had 2 assists on another day.

Brave move for him to come out to NZ, that's his Ireland chances over all right but that ship was probably close to sailing at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i wonder why mick mccarthy has approached WILL KEANE about playing for Ireland.

Senior career*
    Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2011–2016 Manchester United 2 (0)
    2013 → Wigan Athletic (loan) 4 (0)
    2014 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 10 (0)
    2015 → Sheffield Wednesday (loan) 13 (3)
    2015 → Preston North End (loan) 20 (1)
    2016– Hull City 22 (1)
    2019– → Ipswich Town (loan) 1 (1)

I would pick patrick Hoban before i would be asking will keane to play for us, I know Hoban plays at a lower level but at least he knows where the goal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pgj2015 wrote: »

Senior career*
    Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2016– Hull City 22 (1)

I would pick patrick Hoban before i would be asking will keane to play for us, I know Hoban plays at a lower level but at least he knows where the goal is.
    I think he should take a look at Darragh Lenihan he has been pretty excellent in general for Blackburn Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

pgj2015 wrote: »

Senior career*
    Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2016– Hull City 22 (1)

Give Paddy Madden a shout prior to him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Give Paddy Madden a shout prior to him :rolleyes:

While it’s a level below the Championship he must be our most consistent Irish goal scorer over the last few years? Probably only Hoban/Maguire with him and them both plying their trade in the LOI for their tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

PhilipsR wrote: »
    While it’s a level below the Championship he must be our most consistent Irish goal scorer over the last few years? Probably only Hoban/Maguire with him and them both plying their trade in the LOI for their tally.

Not sure 6 goals in 54 games is that consistent.. 6 in 70 games if you include clubs where he didn't score at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not sure 6 goals in 54 games is that consistent.. 6 in 70 games if you include clubs where he didn't score at all.

My quote clearly referenced Madden?

PhilipsR wrote: »
    My quote clearly referenced Madden?

My bad, misread it! What's his record like?

I had high hopes for Will Keane. He looked great in United's youth team and reminded me at times of Sheringham. Hasn't worked out for him but I think there's some talent there. Also I believe his Dad's Irish so it's likely that he does feel some connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why are so many talented footballers called Keane? If you looked back in medieval history, would you find some semi-mythical Celtic athlete called Cein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Both Keane’s both Will and Michael were very highly thought of in United’s under age set up. I know Will’s career in particular has been curtailed by injuries and has had a heap of loan spells. Be weird if one brother Michael was as he is now capped by England and Will for us. Would be a first I reckon.

Strumms wrote: »
    Both Keane’s both Will and Michael were very highly thought of in United’s under age set up. I know Will’s career in particular has been curtailed by injuries and has had a heap of loan spells. Be weird if one brother Michael was as he is now capped by England and Will for us. Would be a first I reckon.

Has happened before a few times, brothers lining up for different countries.

Not sure it’s happened Ireland and England though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Two of the Boateng brothers faced each other in two World Cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Pogba's brothers play for Guinea, Thiago Alcantara (Spain) and Rafinha Alcantara (Brazil), the Vieri's for Italy and Australia, Xhaka's brother plays for albania and Tim Cahill has a brother who played for Samoa

I love random facts like that. Nice one, sugar man.

Will I remember any of it at the next pub quiz I’m in? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Alan Judge gone to Ipswich, hopefully he can get back playing regularly

Strumms wrote: »

Michael played underage for us and switched to England ,Will was way more highly regarded at Uniteds academy but injury has ruined his career to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Callum O’Dowda reportedly a target for Leeds

Be a great move for him if he starts with them mounting a serious promotion challenge to the Premiership. Quality player

• Advertisement

Be a great move for him if he starts with them mounting a serious promotion challenge to the Premiership. Quality player

Bristol City are having a decent season as well ,with a good chance to make the play offs.I doubt they would be willing to sell him this month.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Bristol City are having a decent season as well ,with a good chance to make the play offs.I doubt they would be willing to sell him this month.

If the price is right and the player pushes for it, I could see him leaving.

I know who I'd rather play for

Might all hinge on whether Bielsa sticks around :(

Might all hinge on whether Bielsa sticks around :(

Can't see him leaving in the forseeable, even with the ****tt storm at the moment

Anyone else keep opening this thread every time it's bumped, expecting a "Rice declares for XXXXXXX" post?

• Advertisement

Paddy Madden hits the net again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Two goals. Great stuff.

Anyone else keep opening this thread every time it's bumped, expecting a "Rice declares for XXXXXXX" post?

Or a venue for Gibraltar away in just over two months.

Alan Browne got a goal for Preston in their win over QPR. And in the Scottish Cup Daryl Horgan got 2 goals in Hibs' win over Elgin City.

Wonder if Troy Parrott will get a run out against Fulham tomorrow...

Troy Parrott didn't make the bench today for Spurs with Kane out

Thought he could have been brought on if result is safe (or not), give him a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Collie D wrote: »
    Or a venue for Gibraltar away in just over two months.

Was that not confirmed as being in the tiny ground in Gibraltar?

Edit: or not, thought it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Troy Parrott didn't make the bench today for Spurs with Kane out

Thought he could have been brought on if result is safe (or not), give him a run out.

This story that Spurs are going to throw a 16 year old into the mix is being pushed by alot of media (particularly online) and surprisingly alot of people are buying it.
    Parrott is a bit off making the bench consistently never mind being given "a run out". He has plenty of time on his side, it's only a year or two since he was playing school boy football in Dublin.
    Senior players like Lorente, Ali and Erikson are all ahead of him when it comes to being the centre of the Spurs attack. His chances of getting game time are even more miniscule now Spurs are in a dogfight to stay in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Just having a look at the WhoScored ratings for Irish players in the Championship. Out of 353 in order you have :

#17 Shaun Williams
    #21 Alan Browne
    #26 Enda Stevens
    #27 John Egan
    #35 Darragh Lenihan
    #61 David McGoldrick
    #80 Derrick Williams
    #91 Conor Hourihane
    #125 Richie Towell
    #140 James McClean
    #142 Ryan Manning
    #171 Mason Bennett
    #173 Richard Keogh
    #176 Calum O’Dowda
    #182 Darren Randolph
    #262 Liam Kelly
    #324 Aidan O’Brien
    #352 Alan Judge

Jack O’Connell the 24 year old defender with Sheffield United is #69 if he were to put his name in for us.

This story that Spurs are going to throw a 16 year old into the mix is being pushed by alot of media (particularly online) and surprisingly alot of people are buying it.
    Parrott is a bit off making the bench consistently never mind being given "a run out". He has plenty of time on his side, it's only a year or two since he was playing school boy football in Dublin.
    Senior players like Lorente, Ali and Erikson are all ahead of him when it comes to being the centre of the Spurs attack. His chances of getting game time are even more miniscule now Spurs are in a dogfight to stay in the top 4.

I get that completely but performances have been quite strong for him in the youth's in the last while from what I've been reading plus he was reportedly mentioned by Poch during the week that he can play.

Rooney scored that goal v Arsenal a few days before he turned 17 having made his debut many months before. Milner, Fabregas Owen were all around a similar age to Parrott 'thrown into the mix'

Plenty of managers do it so why not dream, with a lack of a presence in Spurs strikers atm, it's not unheard of

Any word on when Gibraltar venue will be confirmed ? Or when the Rice saga will be over?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement