Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Eod100 wrote: »
    Any word on when Gibraltar venue will be confirmed ? Or when the Rice saga will be over?

Tomorrow or Wednesday apparently for Gibraltar venue. We’re just over two months away so surely can’t be any later than that.

**** knows for Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

I was reading Kevin KIlbanes article on Sunday where he thought that McCarthy should just let Rice go as he hasn't shown enough pride to wear the journey. I don't mind Kilbane but I certainly wouldn't agree with him on this. He also thinks that this wait is just delaying the inevitable bad news for Ireland which i hope isn't true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

eamonpk wrote: »
    I was reading Kevin KIlbanes article on Sunday where he thought that McCarthy should just let Rice go as he hasn't shown enough pride to wear the journey. I don't mind Kilbane but I certainly wouldn't agree with him on this. He also thinks that this wait is just delaying the inevitable bad news for Ireland which i hope isn't true

One of the kids was showing me Declan Rice doing an interview with your man tubes from soccer am and he came across as young kid that he really is,

Sometime because of there performances on the pitch you forget how young these guys are he easy swayed by people and advice from all corners ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just having a look at the WhoScored ratings for Irish players in the Championship. Out of 353 in order you have :

#17 Shaun Williams
    #21 Alan Browne
    #26 Enda Stevens
    #27 John Egan
    #35 Darragh Lenihan
    #61 David McGoldrick
    #80 Derrick Williams
    #91 Conor Hourihane
    #125 Richie Towell
    #140 James McClean
    #142 Ryan Manning
    #171 Mason Bennett
    #173 Richard Keogh
    #176 Calum O’Dowda
    #182 Darren Randolph
    #262 Liam Kelly
    #324 Aidan O’Brien
    #352 Alan Judge

Jack O’Connell the 24 year old defender with Sheffield United is #69 if he were to put his name in for us.

I would perceive this as quite negative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

eamonpk wrote: »

I'd be exactly there with him on it. Should have been cut loose after weeks, let alone the months of a piss-ripping session he's let it go in for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Rice is good enough to start for England we havent a hope unless hes genuine about playing for us which he isnt -non story imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The whole eligibility rules are a farce.
    I'd have no issue with a player being capped in one friendly for a country, then realising they'd like to play for another country.

The big issue with Rice in particular is the fact he has taken 3 caps from us. He's also taken a lot of resources from us at youth international level which looks likely to be for nothing now.

A simple rule that a player can be capped in one friendly for country and then they have 6 months to begin the process of changing eligibility to another country from that date would close the loop hole.

Once a players is capped for the second time at friendly level they should be tied to that country and case closed.

It's not just Rice, but the likes of Zaha, now an ivory Coast International (2 friendly caps for England) and Spain International Diego Costa (2 friendly caps for Brazil) that make a mockery of international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looking at the way the schedule has turned out for our group and we really should have 9 points on the board before we host Switzerland in September.

Gibraltar (A), Georgia (H), Denmark (A), Gibraltar (H).

9 points is the minimum expected. 10 is unlikely as I doubt we’ll get anything away to Denmark, but would be a huge bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Rte saying decision on Gibraltar venue delayed til later this week apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The whole eligibility rules are a farce.
    I'd have no issue with a player being capped in one friendly for a country, then realising they'd like to play for another country.

The big issue with Rice in particular is the fact he has taken 3 caps from us. He's also taken a lot of resources from us at youth international level which looks likely to be for nothing now.

A simple rule that a player can be capped in one friendly for country and then they have 6 months to begin the process of changing eligibility to another country from that date would close the loop hole.

Once a players is capped for the second time at friendly level they should be tied to that country and case closed.

It's not just Rice, but the likes of Zaha, now an ivory Coast International (2 friendly caps for England) and Spain International Diego Costa (2 friendly caps for Brazil) that make a mockery of international football.

I don't think as an Irish soccer fan anyone can complain about the international eligibility rule. Ireland must have less home born players than the vast majority of other teams.

We may have never even qualified for a tournament without the rule in place?

I think it is our own fault for chasing Rice for this long. As soon as he had doubts we should have cut us out as an option. I don't want players who have to think about whether they want to play in a green jersey or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I don't think as an Irish soccer fan anyone can complain about the international eligibility rule. Ireland must have less home born players than the vast majority of other teams.

We may have never even qualified for a tournament without the rule in place?

I think it is our own fault for chasing Rice for this long. As soon as he had doubts we should have cut us out as an option. I don't want players who have to think about whether they want to play in a green jersey or not.

The granny rule isn't the complaint here though, the complaint is how can a player play a handful of games non competitively for a country and still have the chance to play for another country. It's these rules that are putting these players in a tough situation and making a joke of International Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I agree
    No problem with poaching players from other nationalities but when they have played 3 times for anyone the should be in eligible to switch

sugarman wrote: »
    What difference does it make if he had played in 1 or 3 games? England would have just come calling sooner and/or rice would have turned down a call up after his 1st cap rather than 3rd. His 3 caps came in the space of 2 months like.

Should be once you any senior game, friendly or competitive you're tied.

Tree caps would show that the player is committed to his choice of nationality
    one game the player may not like the staff or the whole network
    gives them the opportunity to say I made a mistake

3 caps means hes had a taste and is comfortable in the squad ,

Nothing official yet though? Or is it that longer he takes to decide, likelihood is that he will declare for England?

But as I mentioned, all 3 caps came in the space of 2 short months. 2 of which were a double header 3 days apart. Maybe thats when he realized he made a mistake, when he saw our psychopath former assistant manager berating our English born players over feigning injuries.

Still shouldnt make a difference as he has played 3 times
    if they were competitive he wouldnt be able to leave

He could not make himsfel available if theres a dispute with management but still shouldnt be able to jump ship to another country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Trying to find ticket prices for the Georgia match in March.... anyone know what they are? Cannot find them on FAI site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

LowOdour wrote: »
    Trying to find ticket prices for the Georgia match in March.... anyone know what they are? Cannot find them on FAI site

Pre sale to STH at the moment, ends Sunday so id say they will be up on Monday. These are the pre sale prices if you know a STH

Category A Adult - €65*

Category B Adult - €45*

Category C Adult - €35* Limited availability

Child (Under 16) - €15*

Premium Ticket - €120*

Family Ticket - €100*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I’ve a code if anyone wants it. On my work email and I’ll be ****ed if I’m logging in to that this evening so you’ll need to wait until morning.

Fire me a PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

What difference does it make if he had played in 1 or 3 games? England would have just come calling sooner and/or rice would have turned down a call up after his 1st cap rather than 3rd. His 3 caps came in the space of 2 months like.

Should be once you any senior game, friendly or competitive you're tied.

He literally has sat on the bench for competitive games so England would not have come sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Eod100 wrote: »
    Nothing official yet though? Or is it that longer he takes to decide, likelihood is that he will declare for England?

Rice's 'deliberations' remind me of those of Frodo in LOTR on where to head for Mias Tirith or Mordor. He knows his destiny lies with the dark land, he just can't screw himself up to let a load of people down by announcing this decision. If he had a dogsbody called Sam he might put it like this:
    ‘Begging your pardon,’ said Sam. ‘I don’t think you understand my master at all. He isn’t hesitating about which way to go. Of course not! What’s the good of Irish Tirith anyway? To him, I mean, begging your pardon, Master McCarthy,’ he added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Stephen Kenny has named a home-based U21 squad for a training camp next month.

Goalkeepers: Conor Kearns (UCD), Ross Treacy (Dundalk)

Defenders: Andy Lyons (Bohemians), Darragh Leahy (Bohemians), Conor McCarthy (Cork City), Trevor Clarke (Shamrock Rovers), Liam Scales (UCD), John Mahon (Sligo Rovers).

Midfielders: Dan Mandriou (Bohemians), Will Fitzgerald (Limerick), Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers), JJ Lunney (Waterford), Jamie Lennon (St. Patrick's Athletic), Brandon Kavanagh (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie McCourt (Bohemians).

Forwards: Ronan Hale (Crusaders), Neil Farrugia (UCD), Michael O'Connor (Linfield), Will Fitzgerald (Limerick), Zach Elbouzedi (Waterford), Karl O'Sullivan (Limerick).

Stephen Kenny has named a home-based U21 squad for a training camp next month.

Goalkeepers: Conor Kearns (UCD), Ross Treacy (Dundalk)

Defenders: Andy Lyons (Bohemians), Darragh Leahy (Bohemians), Conor McCarthy (Cork City), Trevor Clarke (Shamrock Rovers), Liam Scales (UCD), John Mahon (Sligo Rovers).

Midfielders: Dan Mandriou (Bohemians), Will Fitzgerald (Limerick), Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers), JJ Lunney (Waterford), Jamie Lennon (St. Patrick's Athletic), Brandon Kavanagh (Shamrock Rovers), Robbie McCourt (Bohemians).

Forwards: Ronan Hale (Crusaders), Neil Farrugia (UCD), Michael O'Connor (Linfield), Will Fitzgerald (Limerick), Zach Elbouzedi (Waterford), Karl O'Sullivan (Limerick).

He can't be accused of any Dundalk bias there anyways! :P

Kearns/Treacy
    Lyons - McCarthy - Scales - Leahy
    Fitzgerald - Bolger - Lunney/Lennon - Clarke
    Kavanagh
    Hale

Bones of a nice side there and that's without any of the English based players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Must be the first Linfield player in a Republic of Ireland side

Any reasoning for the purely home based side?

major bill wrote: »

He publically declared for the North a few months ago as well. making it even stranger.

Think it's just logistics, he wants to get a look at some players before the games kick off but they wouldn't be released by their English clubs to travel. May as well get a look at the lads that are over here.

They're gonna play an Irish Amateur XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Camp is held outside the international window so English clubs don't have to release their players but think we've always held home-based squads around this time of year. Think we could do with more home-based squads at all ages throughout the year and good to see us play in the Toulon tournament for the first time in 17 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Guessing here, but I doubt it is an official UEFA international break/fixture so clubs would not have to release players. There will probably be club fixtures in England either side of the match whereas the LoI will be yet to start so releasing their players for 3 or 4 days is more manageable.

Great interview with Stephen Kenny here by Paul Kimmage: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/paul-kimmage-meets-stephen-kenny-i-realised-i-dont-care-what-people-think-i-know-as-much-as-anyone-37728986.html

Don't know if it's already been posted but it gives a great insight into his character for those who might not be familiar with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Game is to be played in Gibraltar and there will be 800 tickets for Irish fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Nice of them to look after season ticket holders.

What's this "Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Clubs and Fans' Direct"?

Also, another nice goal from Browne today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Patww79 wrote: »
    Also, another nice goal from Browne today.

He doesn’t do ordinary goals. 10 goals and 4 assists now is some going. He got into double figures last season too so his value is surely now around £15-20 million and looks like he could end up on at least 15 goals this season.

Goal today below.

https://twitter.com/helloitskieran/status/1089189209104154624?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Aya Nervous Toenail

He doesn’t do ordinary goals. 10 goals and 4 assists now is some going. He got into double figures last season too so his value is surely now around £15-20 million and looks like he could end up on at least 15 goals this season.

Goal today below.

Great news for cork city as they’ve a clause on any sale

Goal today below.

Yeah think he's already on 1 more goal than all of last season. Could easily see him get to 15.

Great news for cork city as they’ve a clause on any sale

That will be a nice booster.

Maguire,Hourihane and Towell all with assists today too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Connolly for Wimbledon having a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Worztron wrote: »

Must really love his mother if he pledged his future too us

Anyway nice too have him on board and hopefully he has a nice long career

Stephen Kenny has the makings of a very good squad.

Kelleher, Ryan Nolan, Johansson, O’Reilly, Idah, Wright, Parrott all under 20 now and the likes of Egan, Duffy, Doherty and Browne all regularly doing well.

Good times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

ODowda with a decent goal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Stephen Kenny has the makings of a very good squad.

Kelleher, Ryan Nolan, Johansson, O’Reilly, Idah, Wright, Parrott all under 20 now and the likes of Egan, Duffy, Doherty and Browne all regularly doing well.

Good times ahead.

Neil Lennon will take the reigns after Mick 😉

....they'd be part of Fans Direct as well as supporters clubs.
    So if you're a season ticket holder then you're automatically part of fans direct, is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

budgemook wrote: »
    So if you're a season ticket holder then you're automatically part of fans direct, is that it?

As I understand it....
    If you are not a fan club member they you have to join fans direct to get away tickets.

Its very simple really...

Ah okay. I'm a season ticket holder for a few years now but never been to an away game (bar tournaments) and never heard of fans direct. I plan to travel to Georgia this year so I guess I'll sign up for fans direct!

Ah okay. I'm a season ticket holder for a few years now but never been to an away game (bar tournaments) and never heard of fans direct. I plan to travel to Georgia this year so I guess I'll sign up for fans direct!

You should sign up. Tickets for Georgia wont be a problem....been twice and its a lovely place, waiting to see what work commitments come in before booking this time round. People very warm and cheap as chips....

You should sign up. Tickets for Georgia wont be a problem....been twice and its a lovely place, waiting to see what work commitments come in before booking this time round. People very warm and cheap as chips....

I should sign up for fans direct you mean? Yeah I will as I'm 100% planning to go to Georgia.

One of my buddies wants to go but isn't a season ticket holder - will he be able to sign up and get tickets?

I should sign up for fans direct you mean? Yeah I will as I'm 100% planning to go to Georgia.

One of my buddies wants to go but isn't a season ticket holder - will he be able to sign up and get tickets?

Everyone can sign up for Fans Direct....no season tickets needed and you wont have a problem getting tickets for Georgia. Think they were free last time and about €7 the time before. Had to pick them up over there in the team hotel which was central.

JD will say a season ticket is of advantage....personally never experienced it and feel its only an excuse to sell them. For the big games to date where tickets were short they screwed everyone over.....regardless of season tickets or travel history.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement