Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Is Will Keane actually much use? I see he is declaring for us. His career never really kicked off. He seems to spend more time packing his bags to go on another loan than actually be on the pitch. He is not a young lad either now. 73 senior appearances and a half a dozen goals for a 26 year old is not a great CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Is Will Keane actually much use? I see he is declaring for us. His career never really kicked off. He seems to spend more time packing his bags to go on another loan than actually be on the pitch. He is not a young lad either now. 73 senior appearances and a half a dozen goals for a 26 year old is not a great CV.

Possibly not but was highly regarded in his younger days. Injuries seem to have curtailed him. Suppose worth having if he maintains fitness and hits some form but as you say his career timeline suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Will Keane could be the new Scott Hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Aya Nervous Toenail

has there been any movement on Bamford or is he still "deciding"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

has there been any movement on Bamford or is he still "deciding"

I thought Bamford was in, and it that Redmond was the one holding off on deciding. You read so many conflicting reports on these things that it's hard to keep up with it all.

Keane & especially Bamford if he could stay fit would be useful to have. We can never have enough forward options.
    Nathan Redmond would be the attacking option i'd really like to see declare for us. Would be a great addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good to see Seany Maguire back from injury too. Started PNE's last 2 games, 2 wins, and grabbed an assist in the latter. Has so much talent, if he can just keep fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He lads it might sound a bit stupid.
    But how does the fans direct work ?
    Can you get tickets on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Zico ! wrote: »
    Will Keane could be the new Scott Hogan
    As in he declares for us then never gets picked anyway?

Yeah you are probably right, I dont think the two are comparable Keane has scored about 6 goals at club level (admittedly he is injured a lot)....Hogan has about 90 odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Must really love his mother if he pledged his future too us

Anyway nice too have him on board and hopefully he has a nice long career

Bayern rate him highly so it's good we've gotten him committed to us. Apparently going by some journalist on Twitter it's through his grandparents he qualifies for us as his mother was born in England. Would be interesting to know whether England knew that he qualified for them or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

He lads it might sound a bit stupid.
    But how does the fans direct work ?
    Can you get tickets on it

Once you’re registered I think they add you to their mailing list to let you know when applications open for away games.

Gibraltar one due to open this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gibraltar applications open noon tomorrow until Feb 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Worztron wrote: »

Quite the underage career with games for us Luxembourg and Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Scott Hogan gone on load to Sheffield Utd. Seems strange he's getting a move higher up the league for gametime! think that 4 Irish there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He proved he could bang them in for Brentford so if he can rekindle that in a new environment, Sheff Utd would be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Lennon gone from Hibs . It's a pity he missed out on the Ireland job .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah ...real shame :rolleyes:

Looks like James McCarthy is on his way to Palace on loan.

Please god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

New 3 year deal for Aaron Connelly at Brighton and gone on loan to Luton. Top of League 1 so hopefully he gets gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yeah ...real shame :rolleyes:

What you rolling your eyes about. Lenny was never in the running I don’t think but he wouldn’t have been a bad choice. He’s got a fairly good record in football management and he’ll be in another job soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

He'd have been a terrible choice, his style of management is a concoction of MON and Keane. Rolling MONs one dimensional tactics and Keane's piss poor man management into one. He done alright with Celtic, but it was during Scottish footballs lowest ebb, ultimately going untested. Faced with a real challenge at Bolton he was shown up and ultimately shown the door ...as he was over his latest debacle at Hibs.

He has a lot to learn and lot to prove if he wants to become a successful manager. Being a great player doesn't always translate.

He wasn't a great player either.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What you rolling your eyes about. Lenny was never in the running I don’t think but he wouldn’t have been a bad choice. He’s got a fairly good record in football management and he’ll be in another job soon.

Don't make me say it Citizen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cracker of a goal from Redmond.

Hopefully Mick has a chat with him he would for sure add some attacking quality to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dan Crowley got another assist for Willem II today. Believe that's 4 goals and 10 assists now for him in the Eredivisie. Hope he's on our radar. Still only 21.

He'd have been a terrible choice, his style of management is a concoction of MON and Keane. Rolling MONs one dimensional tactics and Keane's piss poor man management into one. He done alright with Celtic, but it was during Scottish footballs lowest ebb, ultimately going untested. Faced with a real challenge at Bolton he was shown up and ultimately shown the door ...as he was over his latest debacle at Hibs.

He has a lot to learn and lot to prove if he wants to become a successful manager. Being a great player doesn't always translate.

No he wouldn’t have been a terrible choice at all. He did well with Celtic in the CL, are you claiming that wasn’t a real challenge? At Bolton he did well intially keeping them up but they were in drastic financial conditions at the time. At Hibs he got them promoted and then got them qualified for Europe. His stay has ended there because of a fall out with the Hibs board, it happens.

A concoction of MON and Keane? MON and Keane got Ireland to the Euros in France and did well at the tournament. Things went poorly after that and their time was up. The FAI have replaced them with Mick McCarthy for a two year stint to do just what MON and Keand did and get us to the Euros for 2020. Lennon would have done that as well, so no he wouldn’t have been a terrible choice at all.

As it happens I think Mick will be fine for the two year stint. I’m not sure about Stephen Kenny though and the whole arrangement is convoluted and odd.

noodler wrote: »
    Don't make me say it Citizen!

snigger, here comes noodles with some choice wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

As it happens I think Mick will be fine for the two year stint. I’m not sure about Stephen Kenny though and the whole arrangement is convoluted and odd.

Mick is manager until the Euro 2020 campaign is over. Stephen Kenny takes charge afterwards. What’s convoluted about that?

• Advertisement

snigger, here comes noodles with some choice wisdom.

Brendan Rodgers for Ireland!

Mick is manager until the Euro 2020 campaign is over. Stephen Kenny takes charge afterwards. What’s convoluted about that?

Listen I hope it works out but it is a strange arrangement.

noodler wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers for Ireland!

Is that what you were going to say? I’m not sure how long Brendan will stay at Celtic but if he was to leave I’d be delighted to have him managing Ireland. He’ll probably get better offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Listen I hope it works out but it is a strange arrangement.

It is nothing more than an attempt by a certain group of people trying to get fans back onside and at the same time trying to show the government that the LOI has a function and that they are promoting it....if players arent in the Irish team we have a trainer!!

I just hope Mick doesnt have a stormer and that Kenny doesnt flop with the U21s.....

It is nothing more than an attempt by a certain group of people trying to get fans back onside and at the same time trying to show the government that the LOI has a function and that they are promoting it....if players arent in the Irish team we have a trainer!!

I just hope Mick doesnt have a stormer and that Kenny doesnt flop with the U21s.....

Why??

I couldn't be more on the opposite side of the fence if I tried. A successful team and the FAI shown up again for the lemons they are for this unprecedented and bizarre arrangement.

II haven't the slight idea of the logic that Kenny will become more capable for senior international management overseeing literally a handful of Under 21 games and basically being out of competitive senior management for 2 years.

It was simply Delaney and co buying some more time in their cushy numbers trying to appease the League of ireland following. If they had faith in Kenny, give him the job now. The odds are against us qualifying anyway so it will allow him to ease into the role.

• Advertisement

Why??

I couldn't be more on the opposite side of the fence if I tried. A successful team and the FAI shown up again for the lemons they are for this unprecedented and bizarre arrangement.

II haven't the slight idea of the logic that Kenny will become more capable for senior international management overseeing literally a handful of Under 21 games and basically being out of competitive senior management for 2 years.

It was simply Delaney and co buying some more time in their cushy numbers trying to appease the League of ireland following. If they had faith in Kenny, give him the job now. The odds are against us qualifying anyway so it will allow him to ease into the role.

If Mick puts out a winning team the fans will forget everything. The average Irish fan has a very short memory and likes nothing more than a bag of cans and a trip to the Aviva or abroad.

If Mick flops and Kenny doesnt perform at international level we will hear fans moan, Aviva will see further crowd problems and the spotligh remains on the real problem.

If Mick is a success, Stephan steps in as planned and he doesnt hit the ground running???? Then the FAI will play the LOI isnt good enough and we tried number.

Someone within the FAI had a brainwave with the appointment...doesnt matter how it works out they will have a spin in the drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0203/1027270-fai-to-stage-egm-in-attempt-to-restructure-board/

Enforced change in the FAI. No doubt Dear Leader will cling on somehow

Is that what you were going to say? I’m not sure how long Brendan will stay at Celtic but if he was to leave I’d be delighted to have him managing Ireland. He’ll probably get better offers.

Celtic's teaman for Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When can we expect Mick to name his squad for the March games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mushy wrote: »

Enforced change in the FAI. No doubt Dear Leader will cling on somehow

Gotta love this bit:
    The FAI want to make sure that the board’s "experience and expertise" is maintained throughout the new proposed restructuring and as a result "any Board member who is the Chairperson of a Standing Committee or the National League Executive Committee and has served for more than 10 years on the Board, may be re-elected for up to four years", according to a statement released by the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Troy Parrott signs his first professional contract. Could be wrong but seems like he's first player in a while to sign to a PL club aged 17. https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0204/1027451-troy-parrott-signs-first-pro-contract-with-spurs/

Eod100 wrote: »
    Troy Parrott signs his first professional contract. Could be wrong but seems like he's first player in a while to sign to a PL club aged 17. https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0204/1027451-troy-parrott-signs-first-pro-contract-with-spurs/

Gavin Bazunu

When can we expect Mick to name his squad for the March games?

Probably around the second week in March, first game is the 23rd of March I think. Hopefully whenever he names it we get the one squad announcement and not one of MONs famous 40 man squads and just name the 23 with a two or three lads as back up incase of injuries.

Yeah id expect tops a 30 man squad. He's having a training in May in Portugal, so id say he'll hold off calling up and having a look at any new faces until then. I expect the squad to more or less the same as MONs last with recalls for the likes McGoldrick, Westwood etc..

McGoldrick has to be a cert to start, it's just deciding who'll play up front with him. While it's only league one I think James Collins could be a surprise inclusion and wouldn't be surprised to see Liam Kelly called up now MONROY are gone.

Also Aaron Bolger has gone on loan to Cardiff City from Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tickets bought for the Georgia game in March. As good as time as any to remind everyone that whatever the coach and whatever the players selected, the best thing any of us can do is turn up and cheer them on. I've yet to see an Irish team in Landsdowne that wasn't trying at the very least, so they're always worthy of your support. icon14.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone when the ko will be out for the Ireland u21 match v Luxembourg on 24th March?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Tickets bought for the Georgia game in March. As good as time as any to remind everyone that whatever the coach and whatever the players selected, the best thing any of us can do is turn up and cheer them on. I've yet to see an Irish team in Landsdowne that wasn't trying at the very least, so they're always worthy of your support. icon14.png

The team is not the problem....its the fools running the FAI. Go to a game and they see themselves as doing a good job for the sake of Irish football. Only thing they are doing is ensuring that their wages are paid....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Come on Declan Rice make a decision

Apparently the commentators on BBC last night reckon he's sticking with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Doherty scored again tonight, though it was against Shrewsbury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Doherty scored again tonight, though it was against Shrewsbury.

And another.

Nobodies gonna know anything until the squad is announced. He's still an Irish player so it's not like he's gonna release a statement saying "I'm sticking with Ireland", that would be as weird as Sean Maguire and his eyebrows.

[URL] [/URL]

First time I really got to see him play on Monday and Christ, he looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

First time I really got to see him play on Monday and Christ, he looked good.

People saying he won't get a game for England haven't a clue. He'd easily be their best option for holding midfield. Has twice as much about him than Henderson or Dier.

Reminded me, dare I say, of a young Roy Keane. Should have scored that header in the first half though.

• Advertisement

Reminded me, dare I say, of a young Roy Keane. Should have scored that header in the first half though.

very different players to be honest, Keane had an offensive side to him in phyically getting forward, scored 30 odd goal in 3 seasons at Forest, figures which dropped considerably at United.
    Rice rarely ventures into the final third, but is a better passer of the ball and better on the ball as well.

Both have/had leadership qualities, Rice seems to be more placid and guidance driven though in how he communicates with players, Keane more an enforcer (although I am not sure how much of a ledership role he took on at the age Rice is at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement