Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah id expect tops a 30 man squad. He's having a training in May in Portugal, so id say he'll hold off calling up and having a look at any new faces until then. I expect the squad to more or less the same as MONs last with recalls for the likes McGoldrick, Westwood etc..

Also Aaron Bolger has gone on loan to Cardiff City from Shamrock Rovers.

This seems an odd signing. Is he going to play for Cardiff's first team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Doherty's got to be on the radar for some of the bigger clubs at this stage - he'd be an upgrade on Valencia or Darmian for United.

(just remembered Darmian is gone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

This seems an odd signing. Is he going to play for Cardiff's first team?

It's essentially an extended trial. He'll go into their u23 side. He's a talented player so if he shows enough they'll sign him in the summer.
    He has about another 18 months left on his Shams contract so they must be looking for a decent fee and Cardiff aren't prepared to pay it until they have a look at him in their set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

loyatemu wrote: »
    Doherty's got to be on the radar for some of the bigger clubs at this stage - he'd be an upgrade on Valencia or Darmian for United.

(just remembered Darmian is gone).

Darmian is still at the club .Valencia rumoured to be leaving in the summer.Wolves don't need to sell anyone and if they do it will be for big fees.

Doherty has been excellent for Wolves but he doesn't play as a FB ,the way Wolves set up he with 343 he plays more of an attacking role .

I'd be happy to see Doherty player RW for us with Coleman as the alright full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is the u21 training match out in Whitehall tonight open to the public? Presume it would be free in if it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yabadabado wrote: »
    Darmian is still at the club .Valencia rumoured to be leaving in the summer.Wolves don't need to sell anyone and if they do it will be for big fees.

Doherty has been excellent for Wolves but he doesn't play as a FB ,the way Wolves set up he with 343 he plays more of an attacking role .

I was sure Darmian had gone out on loan but it obviously didn't happen in the end.

Wolves will sell if the right price is offered, I'd imagine NES can source a reasonably priced Portuguese replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is the u21 training match out in Whitehall tonight open to the public? Presume it would be free in if it was?

They are streaming the game also for those that can't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What time's it at?

Think Mick will stick with three at the back, he played it mostly during his final season with Ipswich and in his press conference for Ireland said he won't be playing 442.

With the form McGoldrick is in he's gotta start and he works better playing with a partner up top. If Doherty and Coleman play together you're looking at 4411 to get both playing with McGoldrick playing behind the striker but kinda means Alan Browne and Calum Robinson are battling with McGoldrick for that spot but with 352 it gets McGoldrick and either Browne or Robinson into the starting team together.

What time's it at?

7.45pm I think

• Advertisement

Ah sound. Say I'll do that so. Where are they streaming it?

Ah sound. Say I'll do that so. Where are they streaming it?

Doesn't seem to be on the FAI channel anyway which is the one I'd expected it to be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hourihane getting a lot of stick lately from Villa fans after a good first few months before Chritmas. Indeed some are calling for him to be dropped. Hope it is just typical hyperbole fan reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Kenny seems to have overtaken Coleman as first choice Rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Another fine goal today from Alan Browne. Some skill involved.

https://twitter.com/helloitskieran/status/1094261039691120640?s=21

7 goals in 13 games!

I still haven't a clue what sort of player is he though! Not sure he does,! Seems to have a lot of freedom!

Remember we were playing Jeff bloody Hendrick as a number 10! McCarthy used to put player in some random positions for players, maybe Browne further up the pitch might be an option if we were missing a player or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another fine goal today from Alan Browne. Some skill involved.

Nice assist by Sean Maguire as well for the second goal.

https://twitter.com/HelloItsKieran/status/1094276427791388672

Daryl Horgan got a goal and an assist for Hibs in their Scottish Cup win over Raith Rovers.

Don't know if it was mentioned but we've got a player featuring down under in the A-League. Twenty year old Stephen Mallon who is at Central Coast Mariners on loan from Sheffield Utd. He made his debut as a second half substitute. Don't know anything about him but not a bad place to be on loan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is Robbie Brady injured again? Not on the pitch or on the bench v Brighton.

James Collins on the score sheet again, Robbie Keane was at the game watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Don't know if it was mentioned but we've got a player featuring down under in the A-League. Twenty year old Stephen Mallon who is at Central Coast Mariners on loan from Sheffield Utd. He made his debut as a second half substitute. Don't know anything about him but not a bad place to be on loan!

Few lads down there now, Keogh, Sheridan and O'Donovan all playing fairly regularly.

• Advertisement

I see Dan Crowley scored from the spot for Willem II yesterday. 6 goals and 7 assists for him in the Netherlands this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

I see Dan Crowley scored from the spot for Willem II yesterday. 6 goals and 7 assists for him in the Netherlands this season.

It's odd how he's flip-floped from between Ireland and England underage teams.

472753.png

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    It's odd how he's flip-floped from between Ireland and England underage teams.

472753.png

You'll always get lads that will dip their toes into both camps when dual national, especially when the two countries are Ireland and England. Louie Barry is another young lad that qualifies for both and think he's played u15s and u16s with both England and Ireland, Armstrong Okoflex the same.

Any word on when the squad will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Match on 23rd. Squad assembles 17/18th, so you'd be guessing a squad announcement around 11/12th of March at the latest.

Incidentally, that leaves Deco a (short) month... He's cutting it tight if he plans to do a runner. Seems like it would be a bogey call on his behalf to overshadow Mick's comeback and have him answering endless questions on Rice's defection.

Do it a month ago in that case and allow the circus to die down for beginning of Mick's tenure.

Sooner the better it's all at an end. I hardly even care now who he picks so long as he graces us all with a decision.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Match on 23rd. Squad assembles 17/18th, so you'd be guessing a squad announcement around 11/12th of March at the latest.

Incidentally, that leaves Deco a (short) month... He's cutting it tight if he plans to do a runner. Seems like it would be a bogey call on his behalf to overshadow Mick's comeback and have him answering endless questions on Rice's defection.

Do it a month ago in that case and allow the circus to die down for beginning of Mick's tenure.

Yeah the fact that no official paperwork has been started yet to me says there's a good chance he'll be lining out in green come March and that's when we will officially know what the story is whether he's named in the squad or not.

Don't think there's anyway he could switch now and have it done in time for the games in March to play with England and can't see him not playing international and doing his switch later in the year when all the qualifers happen in 2019 and the tournament 16 months away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah the fact that no official paperwork has been started yet to me says there's a good chance he'll be lining out in green come March and that's when we will officially know what the story is whether he's named in the squad or not.

Don't think there's anyway he could switch now and have it done in time for the games in March to play with England and can't see him not playing international and doing his switch later in the year when all the qualifers happen in 2019 and the tournament 16 months away.

Could be doing the paper work secretly and have it done in time for the June games or September

The day of the squad announcement is going to be fun

Got 2x tickets to the Georgia game earlier. Upper west BLOCK 528 Row A

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could be doing the paper work secretly and have it done in time for the June games or September

If he has been doing it behind the scenes then I'd be very disappointed in the FAI for not leaking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If he has been doing it behind the scenes then I'd be very disappointed in the FAI for not leaking it.

Not like them too **** up something

Would have definitely been public knowledge by now if paperwork was being done. Don't think something like that could be kept a secret from journalists here and in England.

Another young Irish striker doing well. Watford's U-18 captain Ryan Cassidy with 2 goals and 2 assists as they beat Ipswich to reach the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals.

https://twitter.com/casso_9/status/1095436476198907904

Another young Irish striker doing well. Watford's U-18 captain Ryan Cassidy with 2 goals and 2 assists as they beat Ipswich to reach the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals.

https://twitter.com/casso_9/status/1095436476198907904

Has only been called up once to the underage squads since last May after his father pulled him out of the u17s Euro mid tournament because he wasn't getting any game time. Played last week for the 19s in a friendly against a FAI/ETB selection before next month's elite round fixtures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

He might be injured in March.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

PTH2009 wrote: »

If the process to switch to England has started I'd be absolutely shocked that it hasn't became public knowledge. Both FAs would be involved, near impossible I'd have thought to keep that out of the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't be giving me hope:pac:

The idea that any paperwork would be done in secret is ridiculous. Why? If he's switching, he's switching. Have a spine and just admit it then.

As the clock ticks down, I see no logical reason for him to declare for England the closer it gets to the squad announcement. Only massive negatives and (increased) backlash.

What's the story with paperwork? Needs if he's declaring for England but not Ireland? Cos he's played underage with us I guess? Would he need to file it so many days before qualifiers say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, I've resigned to the fact that in my head he's already got 50 caps for Southgate. Stop giving me hope.

What's the story with paperwork? Needs if he's declaring for England but not Ireland? Cos he's played underage with us I guess? Would he need to file it so many days before qualifiers say?

Officially, he has declared for Ireland. That's where his registration lies. Paperwork is required for switching.

My uninformed opinion is no news is good news. Squad will be named. He'll be in it, then PR spin will kick in. "hard not to have your head turned by England but my heart was always with Ireland. " Yada yada, etc, etc. The possibility of ever switching will be played down as much as possible.

• Advertisement

Officially, he has declared for Ireland. That's where his registration lies. Paperwork is required for switching.

My uninformed opinion is no news is good news. Squad will be named. He'll be in it, then PR spin will kick in. "hard not to have your head turned by England but my heart was always with Ireland. " Yada yada, etc, etc. The possibility of ever switching will be played down as much as possible.

Ah once he stics with us he can talk as much guff as he wants! :p

I think this also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Looking at it from his view I would be getting my head turned with all the hype around him in the English media and I'm 100% paddy! Don't blame him for whatever decision he makes - I do believe like others that he'll play for Ireland - no news on switching is good news.

Afaik he would already need to have the process started if he wanted to be available for England's March fixtures.
    The FA would need to be in contact with FAI so cant see that not making it into the media.

Although he may just be waiting until the summer to switch :(

Although he may just be waiting until the summer to switch :(

Maybe but don't see advantage. Dunno would he be dropped in to start straight away. Be better to get a few games under his belt at senior level before summer.

I can forsee another sit-out for this round and then getting the paperwork done in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I think that is the most likely situation, I will be very pleasantly surprised if he is in the squad for the March qualifiers. If he isn't announced in the squad all of the build up to the game will be around Rice, it has been dragging on for so long now. What is he waiting for I wonder?

I can forsee another sit-out for this round and then getting the paperwork done in the summer.

To wait and see how we do against Gibraltar and Georgia?! :P

If he's basing it off success in Euros or better chance of getting to WCs we don't have a hope. Like people say no news is good news, he's hardly going to come out and commit to Ireland. It would quieten down some of the rumours but would be no need and nothing is confirmed til he gets his first senior cap.

He's gone. Official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement