Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

No big suprise......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shocked some people thought anything different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Eod100 wrote: »

Disappointing

I don't think he'll be another Grealish.

He's a young lad who is born and bred in England, plays for an English team and the rest, I can understand his choice.

Shouldn't have drawn it out so long and probably not put on the Irish shirt in the first place but again, he was and is a young lad and will learn from it.

Can see him doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never met a sound Declan in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Shouldn't have keep it going that long, lost some respect in doing so.

Glad we can move on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Never met a sound Declan in my life.

Declan Moffett, Glenamaddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Best of luck to him

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Best of luck Declan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Glad it's sorted now rather than later, and I understand his decision making.

Won't be wishing him well or anything like that though, would be glad if he went on to have a poor/non-existent international career, but I reckon he'll do okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Disappointing, but not shocked.

It's going to keep happening as long as the FAI out-source their youth development policy to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I hope he gets IBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Amirani wrote: »

Won't be wishing him well or anything like that though, would be glad if he went on to have a poor/non-existent international career, but I reckon he'll do okay.

I look forward to hearing about him and Jack Grealish sitting at home next summer in their Replica England shirts....

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »

What difference does it make if he has poor or great career at end of the day? Either way he's not playing for us

West Ham fans all over twitter acting like they've just won the World Cup. If Rice does turn out to be any use, he'll be a Chelsea player by the time he's an England regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

As things stand at the moment, it's between him and Harry Winks in that DM position for England for the future - so he'll get games - apart from the fact that Southgate will tie him down with a competitive cap ASAP

The thing I find bizzare is that I believe Southgate has said he sees Rice as a CB with England. :confused:

Either way, its a huge disappointment and England can do what they want with him now - don't care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Best of luck to him but he will have to put in some great performances to be a consistent starter in the English midfield. Although he can be CB too.

Should O'Neill have capped him earlier? If his talent and potential was known by many dont understand why he wasnt given a run

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Shocked some people thought anything different.

Guess nothing was official til confirmed. Probably more in hope than expectation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

thus Dexit has begun!:cool:

Fixed that

472997.PNG

I'm Not Bitter... Honest. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Best of luck to him but he will have to put in some great performances to be a consistent starter in the English midfield. Although he can be CB too.

Should O'Neill have capped him earlier? If his talent and potential was known by many dont understand why he wasnt given a run

Will he? Looking at their other CM and DM options he's not far off their best playing as he is atm.

Gutted.

Also he was on the bench for a competitive international and not brought on. Absolutely silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

sugarman wrote: »
    Hes already tied down once the paper work is submitted, can only switch one.

Like most have said its disappointing but not surprising.

My biggest annoyance is he has stolen 20 underage caps and 3 senior caps from players who would appreciated them.

Forgot that - fair enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wake up call for Irish football.

Need to concentrate & start producing Irish players.

Rice grew up & is english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The thing I find bizzare is that I believe Southgate has said he sees Rice as a CB with England. :confused:

Either way, its a huge disappointment and England can do what they want with him now - don't care!

Mick McCarthy said that’s how Southgate was thinking. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true

sugarman wrote: »

My biggest annoyance is he has stolen 20 underage caps and 3 senior caps from players who would appreciated them.

Meh, it's the part of the game. Some you win, some you lose. We went for him because England hadn't and he said yes for the same reason.

He's English, he's always going to want to play for England, he just thought he wasn't good enough and was settling for us, and we're happy to facilitate that kind of approach instead of properly investing in and developing our own players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

First the Brits take our potatoes and now they've stolen our rice.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Meh, it's the part of the game. Some you win, some you lose. We went for him because England hadn't and he said yes for the same reason.

He's English, he's always going to want to play for England, he just thought he wasn't good enough and was settling for us, and we're happy to facilitate that kind of approach instead of properly investing in and developing our own players.

This at the end of the day. If ‘the best fans in the world’ actually gave a ****e, they’d be angrier with the FAI for not investing in grassroots football here instead of wishing ill on a 20 year old talented Englishman who settled for us like we did with him.

This isn’t the first time this has happened, so we need to stop relying on potential English talent and rejects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Laois_Man wrote: »
    As things stand at the moment, it's between him and Harry Winks in that DM position for England for the future - so he'll get games - apart from the fact that Southgate will tie him down with a competitive cap ASAP

Why would he bother?
    Not as if he is going to flip again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Was it just the one competitive game he was on the bench for or was it more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Never in any doubt. Why he took so long to announce it I'll never know, probably wanted it to seem like he really was mulling it over. I think it's far more likely he's had his mind made up for a long time, the moment playing for England was presented as a possibility to him, his mind was made up.

He wasn't the sole answer to our problems but would have made for a very nice paper over our youth development cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Liam O wrote: »
    Will he? Looking at their other CM and DM options he's not far off their best playing as he is atm.

Gutted.

Also he was on the bench for a competitive international and not brought on. Absolutely silly.

Which game was that? Definitely lessons to be learned for the FAI and Irish managers. a policy that has been outlined on here before should be developed where any non Irish born players in particular who is in a senior squad at EPL or Championship level will be told they will be capped competitively asap and if they have a problem with that they can fck off.

Rice wasted our time and took 3 caps that another player who wanted to play for us should have availed of. His final decision on this is immaterial, the process of him stringing us along and wasting our time and taking caps off other players is the real issue. That and every English born player in our set up at various levels from now on will be viewed with suspicion.

Thanks a lot Declan, now fck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

dubmick wrote: »
    Was it just the one competitive game he was on the bench for or was it more?

Don’t think he was there for any competitive games but open to correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

As someone who was born in England to Irish / Scottish parents I can to a certain degree see how he would have conflicting alliengeces when he was younger.

That said in my opinion the manner in which he has done it and others is shocking. Any players including those from the north that switch it's wrong. They should either not declare and refuse call ups when younger or if they do accept the decision and stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

He should have been capped against Moldova. Utter stupidity from Dumb and Dumber. I suspect the negative mood in the camp last year gave him a choice to make and England's interest only increased as he made it clear on the pitch how good he is. He is a brilliant player.

But he is a rotten person. Whatever about underage, but he played at senior level for us. Virtually an unheard of situation. He kissed the badge, he sang the anthem, he accepted 3 senior caps when someone and then decided he preferred someone else, but gave us the ring around for 6 months.

Also - On people saying we shouldn't be chasing players like him, why wouldn't we? Media and public has no objection with Bundee Aki and CJ Stander with the rugby, who probably hadn't even heard of Ireland until they were teenagers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Only 18 months ago he was kissing the crest and blasting out the anthem. A proud englishman my hole.
    Glad it's all sorted now and good riddance to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

He has every right to chose England, and he's right to if he feels more English than Irish. He ****ed Ireland around though by delaying it for as long as he has given his history in the Irish set up.

Hopefully it's a decision he'll come to regret, be that as a result of Irish success and English failure, or more likely through not making it with England

• Advertisement

Never in any doubt. Why he took so long to announce it I'll never know, probably wanted it to seem like he really was mulling it over. I think it's far more likely he's had his mind made up for a long time, the moment playing for England was presented as a possibility to him, his mind was made up.

He wasn't the sole answer to our problems but would have made for a very nice paper over our youth development cracks.

If it was never in any doubt why did he take so long to decide? That's the problem a lot of people have with Rice.

Mokuba wrote: »
    He should have been capped against Moldova. Utter stupidity from Dumb and Dumber. I suspect the negative mood in the camp last year gave him a choice to make and England's interest only increased as he made it clear on the pitch how good he is. He is a brilliant player.

But he is a rotten person. Whatever about underage, but he played at senior level for us. Virtually an unheard of situation. He kissed the badge, he sang the anthem, he accepted 3 senior caps when someone and then decided he preferred someone else, but gave us the ring around for 6 months.

Also - On people saying we shouldn't be chasing players like him, why wouldn't we? Media and public has no objection with Bundee Aki and CJ Stander with the rugby, who probably hadn't even heard of Ireland until they were teenagers.

It’s absolutely nothing to do with chasing players like him, it’s our complete over-reliance on them.

The Irish rugby team could set fire to a children's hospital and the goys in the Irish media would still be figuratively sucking them off.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Hopefully it's a decision he'll come to regret, be that as a result of Irish success and English failure, or more likely through not making it with England

This is a bit much, isn’t it?

Some people’s faux-outrage is completely misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mokuba wrote: »

Oh yes they do with Paul Kimmage being the most vocal about it.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    As someone who was born in England to Irish / Scottish parents I can to a certain degree see how he would have conflicting alliengeces when he was younger.

That said in my opinion the manner in which he has done it and others is shocking. Any players including those from the north that switch it's wrong. They should either not declare and refuse call ups when younger or if they do accept the decision and stick with it.

Nope, that's a different story. Anyone born in The North can have an Irish passport under the GFA, therefore they are entitled to dual citizenship. You're comparing apples and oranges there.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If it was never in any doubt why did he take so long to decide? That's the problem a lot of people have with Rice.

Well as I said there, maybe he wanted it to seem like he really was thinking long and hard about it.

I don't blame him for picking England at all, he's London born and raised. The World Cup run no doubt seemed appealing too.

I wouldn't hold animosity towards him but I wouldn't be of the opinion that this was an overly difficult decision for him to make at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Thankfully he's finally decided anyway. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nope, that's a different story. Anyone born in The North can have an Irish passport under the GFA, therefore they are entitled to dual citizenship. You're comparing apples and oranges there.

Nope what I'm saying is players that played for northern Ireland at underage that then switch is wrong.

Nothing wrong with Irish players born in North playing for their country wrong if they switch.

Faugheen wrote: »
    This is a bit much, isn’t it?

Some people’s faux-outrage is completely misplaced.

Is it. He played 3 times at senior level for us then said I have to think about it and pissed about for months on end. We'll get over it and life goes on but people are entitled to be angry with the way he has behaved.

Well as I said there, maybe he wanted it to seem like he really was thinking long and hard about it.

I don't blame him for picking England at all, he's London born and raised. The World Cup run no doubt seemed appealing too.

I wouldn't hold animosity towards him but I wouldn't be of the opinion that this was an overly difficult decision for him to make at all.

If it wasn't an overly difficult decision then he would have decided months ago. Making it seem like he was thinking long and hard about it would have been zero benefit to him.

Genuinely think people just want to assume the worst here instead of thinking things through logically.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement