Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

GLaDOS wrote: »

Can only hope this doesn't drag on for months.

:o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Glad that is all said and done, was always going to happen. Decent player, is having a good season and probably has some agent in his ear telling him he will make more money being an England international. Modern day football summed up, playing for the pound and not for the pride.

As people have pointed out, the 3 senior caps bother me. Deprived someone else a place in the squad and the prestige of earning a cap for their country. Should have never got that far. The rules about playing in a competitive match need to change.

Hopefully it all dies down now and we move on and look to develop our own home grown players who will be the foundation of our national team for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Don’t think he was there for any competitive games but open to correction

Was he not on the bench against Moldova?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is it. He played 3 times at senior level for us then said I have to think about it and pissed about for months on end. We'll get over it and life goes on but people are entitled to be angry with the way he has behaved.

But to wish he doesn't have a good career or that his decision comes back to bite him in the arse?

He's a talented player. Let him play.

As I said earlier, I see a lot of anger aimed at a 20 year old Englishman and not at those in charge for not investing in the game here. That's the reason we find ourselves in this mess time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

He says he is a proud Englishman? That doesn't happen overnight or over a few months, it's a life long thing. Then as a proud Englishman put on an Ireland jersey. Mind-boggling. Best of luck to him, however I don't think he was thinking straight making a decision to play for Ireland to start with.

Ach, I kinda hope Duffy creases him the next time they meet.

Oh no no, not some injury or anything, just leaves him sore.

Yeah, it's petty, I should be magnanimous and wish him well, but meh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Liam O wrote: »
    Was he not on the bench against Moldova?

Nope don t think he was ever in a competitive squad for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Faugheen wrote: »
    But to wish he doesn't have a good career or that his decision comes back to bite him in the arse?

As I said earlier, I see a lot of anger aimed at a 20 year old Englishman and not at those in charge for not investing in the game here. That's the reason we find ourselves in this mess time and time again.

I hope he completely flops or gets a career ender. But that's nothing to do with his switch, I just wish that on every England international.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Nope what I'm saying is players that played for northern Ireland at underage that then switch is wrong.

Nothing wrong with Irish players born in North playing for their country wrong if they switch.

It isn't wrong if they switch, they have dual citizenship, it's a different story. When they are young and going to school they'll get picked by Northern Ireland at schoolboy level because of where they live etc., but under the GFA they are entitled to dual citizenship and therefore those players switching is a different story.

Anyway what annoyed people about Rice is he actually played 3 times at senior level before switching. They've (Rice and the English FA) crossed a line there and no non Irish born player from here on in our set up can be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

If it was never in any doubt why did he take so long to decide? That's the problem a lot of people have with Rice.

PR spin. This future millionaire, England captain, playing for top 3 team needs his image cultivated going forward. It had to look like a tough decision. Of course he could have made his decision last November but he would look like a right cnut then wouldn't he?

• Advertisement

I hope he completely flops or gets a career ender. But that's nothing to do with his switch, I just wish that on every England international.

Some of my favourite players have p!ayed for England.

Rice and Grealish will never make that list though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

DEXIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Nope don t think he was ever in a competitive squad for us.

No he wasn't, but that squad for the Moldova game is where he should have been called up and capped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I genuinely think it was a decision he agonized over but I always expected to pick England because he’s English.

He’s a loyal lad, he signed a contract renewal with west ham recently when financially it seemed the wrong call.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Also like the way people a year ago would talk about potentially how good he could be and now those same people have decided he’ll never be good enough for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I'm glad its done with now...concentrate on the team now and what Mick can do with the squad.
    No doubt about it, its going to weaken us hugely. He looks top class, and no reason he wont go on to be a very good player for England.

But what now? Do we need to look at all players who are coming through the system, and say only 80-90% Irish born players to be selected in all underage teams. Do we risk missing out on another Obafami?

We seem to have youngsters at Premier league clubs....but we dont how many will come through and be a good international player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought his statement was heartfelt and genuine and I find a lot of the bitterness towards him pathetic tbh.

We've been perfectly content to take players that came through the ranks of Scotland and NI so don't give me any of that 'but, but, he deprived someone a place' malarkey. I doubt any of the fans bemoaning this development gave a toss about the complaints of Scottish and NI fans when they lost out on players to ourselves. We're always complaining about English exceptionalism and the 'have your cake and eat it' attitude so let's not be complete hypocrites about this.

He was given time to make his decision by two Irish management teams and has made that decision within the time he was asked to do so. The lad was born in England to England parents and feels English. Hardly surprising really.

We just have to suck it up, take it on the chin and move on. It's a hell of a coup for England but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Why do you care? I don't care what happens to him.

You're conflating separate issues.

Rice played 3 times at senior level and then after months of pissing around switched, people are entitled to be angry with him for that.

The FAI from here on have a serious issue to address re non Irish born players in our set up. It is demoralising and bad for the whole set up for the FAI to be giving international experience to non Irish born players ahead of Irish born lads if it's the case that they will just fck off and play with someone else if they turn out to be any good.

The rule change on senior caps not tying a player to a country should be changed back also.

LowOdour wrote: »
    I'm glad its done with now...concentrate on the team now and what Mick can do with the squad.
    No doubt about it, its going to weaken us hugely. He looks top class, and no reason he wont go on to be a very good player for England.

But what now? Do we need to look at all players who are coming through the system, and say only 80-90% Irish born players to be selected in all underage teams. Do we risk missing out on another Obafami?

We seem to have youngsters at Premier league clubs....but we dont how many will come through and be a good international player

I know we've had success with them in the past but I'd love this to kick something towards actually having our own players. I'd take never qualifying for anything again if we had 11 out there that it actually meant everything to. Not the times we live in though unfortunately.

• Advertisement

We’ll go on doing what we always do. Trying to get as many Irish eligible English born lads to declare for us.

Rice will change nothing.

I genuinely think it was a decision he agonized over but I always expected to pick England because he’s English.

He’s a loyal lad, he signed a contract renewal with west ham recently when financially it seemed the wrong call.

There's nothing "genuine" about what he did.

Disappointing news tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

No surprise really.

I thought his statement was heartfelt and genuine and I find a lot of the bitterness towards him pathetic tbh.

We've been perfectly content to take players that came through the ranks of Scotland and NI so don't give me any of that 'but, but, he deprived someone a place' malarkey. I doubt any of the fans bemoaning this development gave a toss about the complaints of Scottish and NI fans when they lost out on players to ourselves. We're always complaining about English exceptionalism and the 'have your cake and eat it' attitude so let's not be complete hypocrites about this.

He was given time to make his decision by two Irish management teams and has made that decision within the time he was asked to do so. The lad was born in England to England parents and feels English. Hardly surprising really.

We just have to suck it up, take it on the chin and move on. It's a hell of a coup for England but that's the way it goes sometimes.

He played 3 times at senior level. I think it's pathetic to not be angry and alarmed about it and I'm not talking about him alone I'm talking about the whole Irish set up, I'm talking about players who got passed over for him, I'm talking about the mistrust that will now seep into the Irish set up re non Irish born players. I say this no matter what his final decision was today. The whole notion of any player playing 3 times at senior level and then pissing about for months on whether to continue playing or to fck off with himself is bad for the whole set up in international soccer in Ireland.

It's a watershed moment or hopefully will become one in the sense that Irish born players now will be given preference and non Irish born players will have to commit to playing for Ireland in some way or they can fck off and stop wasting our time.

There's nothing "genuine" about what he did.

Change his mind to represent the country of his birth and his parents birth. It’s perfectly understandable. It would be weird to play for anyone else.

I think he agonized over it. If you think it’s all PR then grand, not going to argue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's time to move on.

He will play for England if he continues the way he is and may be a super player.

However we do have a few really good prospects coming through. Not just 1 or 2 but 7 or 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is there any other examples of this happening before for other countries ? Playing senior freindlies with a country before switching?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Not one bit surprised.

He played 3 times at senior level. I think it's pathetic to not be angry and alarmed about it and I'm not talking about him alone I'm talking about the whole Irish set up, I'm talking about players who got passed over for him, I'm talking about the mistrust that will now seep into the Irish set up re non Irish born players. I say this no matter what his final decision was today. The whole notion of any player playing 3 times at senior level and then pissing about for months on whether to continue playing or to fck off with himself is bad for the whole set up in international soccer in Ireland.

It's a watershed moment or hopefully will become one in the sense that Irish born players now will be given preference and non Irish born players will have to commit to playing for Ireland in some way or they can fck off and stop wasting our time.

I think it’s naive to think this is a watershed moment. I don’t think it’ll change anything.

Sure we were/are chasing Patrick bamford, Nathan Redmond and god knows who else this past month.

We will take a look at any pro footballer who is eligible for a passport. I don’t see that changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

This is a bit much, isn’t it?

Some people’s faux-outrage is completely misplaced.

What outrage?

I said that I hope he doesn't make it with England. That's not outrage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tough lesson to be learned here.

But Id say being part of the set up under O'Neill/Keane was enough to make him question his future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Yep, a great job by his publicist/ agent in putting together the statement. Its clearly worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He like most of our English born players want to play for England no matter what platitudes they spout. But unlike them he's good enough to do it and developed just in time for him to jump off this sinking ship of a squad.

He walks into the England team, Southgate is saying as a CB but he has two good young CB's there in Stones and Gomez and is light in the DM/CM position right now but he also likes three at the back so he can play there too. Rice is going to big team soon enough and England have a good young team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Only one thing for it......

MAwsu6q.jpg

recyclebin wrote: »
    Is there any other examples of this happening before for other countries ? Playing senior freindlies with a country before switching?

Diego Costa played for Brazil before deciding on wanting to play for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Rice played 3 times at senior level and then after months of pissing around switched, people are entitled to be angry with him for that.

This is exactly the problem. If he'd just made the decision to play for England from the start it would have been fine with most people. The fact he played 3 games for us and then had his head turned is where most people are annoyed with him.

International football is about representing your country....not to try represent the best one you think you can get picked for.

Whatever about underage players changing (because they move countries with their parents /clubs etc), full internationals should not be allowed to change countries after they have been called up to a full international squad (not even capped).

Otherwise what will happen is you will eventually have players being able to transfer across nations as and when it suits......which will be to the detriment of the international game.

Hopefully there are 3 or 4 other genius level players in his position that come through the english set up soon and he picks up feck all caps.

Try and find any quotes where southgate says he sees him as a CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Really don’t care. I want proud Irish lads playing for my country. Just forget this lad and move on.

We are due a decent player to come along in the near future anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We’ll go on doing what we always do. Trying to get as many Irish eligible English born lads to declare for us.

This changes everything. A player with 3 caps switches allegiances. No under age English born player will be trusted going forward, which is unfortunate.

The outsourcing of our youth development (in any way) to England is heading one way.

A tough blow, but I think it will be an important moment and sea change in youth development in Irish football.

Change his mind to represent the country of his birth and his parents birth. It’s perfectly understandable. It would be weird to play for anyone else.

It's weird to play 3 times at senior level and then piss about for months on end deliberating about his international future, that's what's weird.
    I think he agonized over it. If you think it’s all PR then grand, not going to argue.
    He agonized over it, did he? Pity about him. I don't give a fck about him. I'm angry for the players that were left on the bench when this charlatan was taking caps and I'm worried about the affect that this sort of stuff that Rice has pulled will have on other non Irish born players in the Irish set up who aren't tied to Ireland as yet.

Football is a competitive business. If I was a young Irish born player at under 19 level and an English born lad was getting a game ahead of me, I or someone representing me would be going to the coach and having two words in his ear; "Declan Rice".

• Advertisement

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    This changes everything. A player with 3 caps switches allegiances. No under age English born player will be trusted going forward, which is unfortunate.

The outsourcing of our youth development (in any way) to England is heading one way.

A tough blow, but I think it will be an important moment and sea change in youth development in Irish football.

The only thing that will ever bring change is if Delaney and his cronies stop getting paid.

Try and find any quotes where southgate says he sees him as a CB.

I was going off what was said in here, if he sees him as a DM/CM he becomes a starter very quickly for them.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Might change things for the better perhaps in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

If you really believe that, you don't understand the magnitude of what Rice had pulled here. No non Irish born player in the Irish international set up will be trusted from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't say it's too surprising really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

His statement is bollox too. He says he considers himself of mixed nationality. I don't know what other nationality he's referring to but it's obvioulsy not Irish given the lack of respect he's shown to Ireland in switching at such a late stage.

Mokuba wrote: »

Just platitudes most non Irish players say. 'I never wanted to play for anyone else but Ireland'. No ****, England had no interest in you, we were your only option to play International football. Rice happened to develop quickly in his late teens to be good enough and had the chance to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

English man, born in England to English parents wants to play for England.

His call & it should be respected.

Now for his sake I hope he makes the England team, otherwise there will be egg on face

• Advertisement

Mokuba wrote: »

That sort of stuff doesn't bother me at all. I'm more concerned about the implications for other non Irish born players in Irish teams now. I'm concerned about the affect on team morale. As I said Irish born lads not getting a game behind non Irish born lads are entitled to raise a question about the validity of those players getting a game ahead of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement