Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

English man, born in England to English parents wants to play for England.

His call & it should be respected.

Now for his sake I hope he makes the England team, otherwise there will be egg on face

His call, but there's absolutely no need to respect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

English man, born in England to English parents wants to play for England.

His call & it should be respected.

Now for his sake I hope he makes the England team, otherwise there will be egg on face

Again that's not the important issue that arises out of this facing the Irish International set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Fromvert wrote: »
    Just platitudes most non Irish players say. 'I never wanted to play for anyone else but Ireland'. No ****, England had no interest in you, we were your only option to play International football. Rice happened to develop quickly in his late teens to be good enough and had the chance to go.

I have never once heard a English born Irish player say they cried during the national anthem out of pride.

I wasn't aware that was a simple "platitude", especially given I have never heard it before. Likewise with the kissing of the badge against Azerbaijan to the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If you really believe that, you don't understand the magnitude of what Rice had pulled here. No non Irish born player in the Irish international set up will be trusted from now on.

I’ve no idea what you mean. Can you say specifically what will change in terms of our pursuit of English born players in future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Englishman Declan Rice declares for Ireland - "welcome, come into the parlor, sit yourself down and I'll tell you some stories about how Ray Houghton put the ball in the England net"

Irishman Declan Rice declares for England - "die screaming ya bastard turncoat"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mokuba wrote: »
    I have never once heard a English born Irish player say they cried during the national anthem out of pride.

I wasn't aware that was a simple "platitude", especially given I have never heard it before. Likewise with the kissing of the badge against Azerbaijan to the fans.

Probably never said that but they spout plenty of nonsense about feeling Irish and wanting to play for Ireland. When Ireland is your only option it's easy to say these things. Rice went over the top in his 'I'm committed to Ireland' soundbite.

Ryan Nolan in Inter squad for tomorrow night.

https://www.balls.ie/amp/football/inter-milan-bench-ryan-nolan-405891

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don't give a fck about him.

You’re banging on about it enough anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Fromvert wrote: »
    Probably never said that but they spout plenty of nonsense about feeling Irish and wanting to play for Ireland. When Ireland is your only option it's easy to say these things. Rice went over the top in his 'I'm committed to Ireland' soundbite.

Which is why people are angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He played 3 times at senior level. I think it's pathetic to not be angry and alarmed about it and I'm not talking about him alone I'm talking about the whole Irish set up, I'm talking about players who got passed over for him, I'm talking about the mistrust that will now seep into the Irish set up re non Irish born players. I say this no matter what his final decision was today. The whole notion of any player playing 3 times at senior level and then pissing about for months on whether to continue playing or to fck off with himself is bad for the whole set up in international soccer in Ireland.

It's a watershed moment or hopefully will become one in the sense that Irish born players now will be given preference and non Irish born players will have to commit to playing for Ireland in some way or they can fck off and stop wasting our time.

We are happy to do the same thing to other teams. Consider Michael Duffy:
    On the 26 August 2018 it was reported that he intended to make the switch from playing for Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland. Michael Duffy was called up to the Home-Based Republic of Ireland under-18 by Paul Doolin on 1 February 2012 for a friendly game against Wales. On 15 February, he played the entire game in a 2–1 defeat at Ferrycarrig Park, Wexford. Duffy has since represented Northern Ireland at under-19 and under-21 level. He made his debut for the under-21 team on 9 September 2014 in a 4–1 defeat against Serbia at Shamrock Park, Portadown. On 24 August 2016 Duffy received his first call up to the senior Northern Ireland squad by manager Michael O'Neill. In August 2018 Duffy stated his intention of playing for the Republic of Ireland.

Where was the outrage on this thread and elsewhere over Michael Duffy wasting Michael O'Neill's time?

We can't have it both ways. If we're willing to play this game then we're going to take a loss every now and again. This is one of those times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've emailed the English FA, and as a good will gesture we're sending you Danny Drinkwater as a replacement.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Where was the outrage on this thread and elsewhere over Michael Duffy wasting Michael O'Neill's time?

We can't have it both ways. If we're willing to play this game then we're going to take a loss every now and again. This is one of those times.

Because we aren't Northern Irish so who gives a **** about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Not surprising. His last spin out to an Irish camp was toxic. He must have been watching the matches from the bench thinking he wanted to retire at 19 from international.

I'm betting a couple of bad results or a big mistake for England and he'll just how toxic
    an internation team can get.

Anyway, we should just leave the young foreign players alone unless they themselves want to play for us. It will allow us develop our own players and when they hit 22-25 and have got a cap, we can then pick them up.

Doing it that way, what would we have lost in the last 20 year's?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I’ve no idea what you mean. Can you say specifically what will change in terms of our pursuit of English born players in future?

I think we'll have a more aggressive attitude to tying players to Ireland where possible. Obafemi was a case in point.

I think a more thought out system needs to be developed where non Irish born players are told in advance that we have a policy of tying players to Ireland asap and if they have an issue with that then show them the door.

I think/hope that we will prefer Irish born players ahead of English born players from here on because English born players can''t be trusted. I think unfortunately it could have an affect on the morale in squads and teams at younger level where non Irish born players are getting picked.

I think it will make a difference alright. I think you're naive if you think it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Which is why people are angry.

People shouldn't believe what players say for good PR. Happens at club level all the time, they're saying what the fans want to hear and coached along by people behind the scenes not what they feel but once a better opportunity comes along, the one they really wanted they're making that move happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

We can always call up Glen Whelan, he never officially retired

Did Duffy actually play for Northern Ireland at senior level?

Anyway as I said before, that's different. Under the GFA anyone born in Northern Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship as of right, they don't have to declare it. It's not a comparable situation.

LeBash wrote: »
    Not surprising. His last spin out to an Irish camp was toxic. He must have been watching the matches from the bench thinking he wanted to retire at 19 from international.

I'm betting a couple of bad results or a big mistake for England and he'll just how toxic
    an internation team can get.

Anyway, we should just leave the young foreign players alone unless they themselves want to play for us. It will allow us develop our own players and when they hit 22-25 and have got a cap, we can then pick them up.

Doing it that way, what would we have lost in the last 20 year's?

I'd agree with this approach. Filling our underage teams with non Irish born players should now end. If a non Irish born lad comes of age and wants to declare for us with a competitive cap then fine. However, giving young non Irish players experience at underage international level at the expense of Irish born lads only for them to then fck off somewhere else if they turn out to be any good has to come to a stop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've emailed the English FA, and as a good will gesture we're sending you Danny Drinkwater as a replacement.

Ts4p92l.gif

In fairness though as long as it isn't Dier we'll take him :D

(Ironically who Rice will most likely replace at present)

Because we aren't Northern Irish so who gives a **** about them?

You don't believe one should practice what they preach then?
    TheCitizen wrote:
    Did Duffy actually play for Northern Ireland at senior level?

Anyway as I said before, that's different. Under the GFA anyone born in Northern Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship as of right, they don't have to declare it. It's not a comparable situation.

Earlier you were angry that players had been passed over for Rice. Well, NI players got passed over for Duffy who has now thrown his lot in with us. How is it different? What does it matter if he played or not, when he took up a space that another lad could have had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'd agree with this approach. Filling our underage teams with non Irish born players should now end. If a non Irish born lad comes of age and wants to declare for us with a competitive cap then fine. However, giving young non Irish players experience at underage international level at the expense of Irish born lads only for them to then fck off somewhere else if they turn out to be any good has to come to a stop.

Kenny's squad announcement next month will be interesting. And also when he's the senior international manager.

I don't think you're going to see Kenny drafting in the likes of Will Keane when you have Patrick Hoban breaking goal scoring records.

Times they are (will be) changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Can he not come and go as he pleases as he’s doing currently? Like if he doesn’t start an England match then hop on over and Mick will av’ em in his first 11.

And if it’s Ireland v England he could play a half for each team and flip a coin to determine which team he plays the first and second half for.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just need to have managers who will stop fannying about with the same tried and tested players and integrate the identified players sooner.

Rice, and earlier, Grealish were more than good enough for squad places sooner, and should have been given competitive games asap.

Like if managers are willing to pick Walters and others despite not playing games for 18 months at club level, you know there's something seriously regressive in their tactics and management.

Edit: not to denigrate Walters contribution to Ireland. He really tries, and loved his commitment, but the point still holds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LiamoSail wrote: »
    His statement is bollox too. He says he considers himself of mixed nationality. I don't know what other nationality he's referring to but it's obvioulsy not Irish given the lack of respect he's shown to Ireland in switching at such a late stage.

Another feckin Rory Mc Ilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Kenny's squad announcement next month will be interesting. And also when he's the senior international manager.

I don't think you're going to see Kenny drafting in the likes of Will Keane when you have Patrick Hoban breaking goal scoring records.

Times they are (will be) changing.

Will Keane is a better player than Patrick Hoban. like boxing, its all about levels.

Not saying Will Keane is good enough for Ireland either.

Theres a responsibility on management to field the best team they can to represent Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That sort of stuff doesn't bother me at all. I'm more concerned about the implications for other non Irish born players in Irish teams now. I'm concerned about the affect on team morale. As I said Irish born lads not getting a game behind non Irish born lads are entitled to raise a question about the validity of those players getting a game ahead of them.

Nah. It goes by ability or is supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just need to have managers who will stop fannying about with the same tried and tested players and integrate the identified players sooner.

Rice, and earlier, Grealish were more than good enough for squad places sooner, and should have been given competitive games asap.

Like if managers are willing to pick Walters and others despite not playing games for 18 months at club level, you know there's something seriously regressive in their tactics and management.

This.

Making lads wait 2 years to step in (because everyone knows the current squad is brimming with quality) is farcical.

Cap these lads early and if they dont want to play for us again then f*ck them.

Earlier you were angry that players had been passed over for Rice. Well, NI players got passed over for Duffy who has now thrown his lot in with us. How is it different? What does it matter if he played or not, when he took up a space that another lad could have had?

Again players from Northern Ireland is a different issue. They don't have to declare, under the terms of the GFA they are entitled to play for both teams as of right. Obviously if they play for one Ireland team competitively they are then tied to that team, but the dual citizenship that they are entitled to makes it a different matter. It's not comparable.

Nah. It goes by ability or is supposed to.

Not anymore it's not. A young Irish player or someone representing him is entitled to go up to a coach and ask why are you picking a non Irish born player ahead of him when that non Irish player will fck off and play with someone else if he turns out to be any good?

I think it could have an affect on morale and relationships between Irish and non Irish born players in Irish teams at underage level. I think it absolutely changes things for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He obviously feels he could wim a tournament based on Englands world Cup performance last year. Being an English International is a much more fickle business than playing for a smaller nation where he would be a regular pick.
    With a downturn in form or an injury he could be out of contention for an England place very quickly.

Ultimately it isn't something that should be a difficult decision, the fact that he feels that way shows he's a bit of a mercenary and doesn't really have any love for either nation.

Glazers Out!

Again players from Northern Ireland is a different issue. They don't have to declare, under the terms of the GFA they are entitled to play for both teams as of right. Obviously if they play for one Ireland team competitively they are then tied to that team, but the dual citizenship that they are entitled to makes it a different matter. It's not comparable.

What has this got to do with taking up a spot when one's heart is not fully invested, and which could have gone to someone who was? And Rice was fully entitled to do what he did. No rules were broken in this process.

I don't get how you can justify us being the beneficiaries of this system and at the same time express indignation when we are on the receiving end of the system. It sounds like cakeism to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Glenn Whelan starting to play well again...... ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

West Ham fans all over twitter acting like they've just won the World Cup. If Rice does turn out to be any use, he'll be a Chelsea player by the time he's an England regular.

I think that says more about how many West Ham fans anti Irish racism and how they hate everything to do with Ireland. I mean it absolutely matters not a bit to them what country he plays for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I wish him no bad luck, think it was a pricks move though. Hell be sorry when the English media blames the former Irishman for them getting knocked of a tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

eire4 wrote: »
    I think that says more about how many West Ham fans anti Irish racism and how they hate everything to do with Ireland. I mean it absolutely matters not a bit to them what country he plays for.

To be fair I've had a gawk at the WH fan forums where I'd like to think a more genuine viewpoint might be reflected and most are very shoulder shrugging at the decision. There are the ones who are happy that he is in an English shirt, others who state they only really care what he does in the claret and blue and a few even that are resigned to the idea that he will be out of WH as soon as he starts his England career.
    Others are even sympathetic to ROI fans and are questioning these rules.

This generalising of WH fans as anti Irish is ott nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eire4 wrote: »

Bizarre.

Another Alan Browne special tonight will cheer everyone up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

very overrated player anyway. i hope all Irish players nail him in any match they play against him for the rest of his career.

What has this got to do with taking up a spot when one's heart is not fully invested, and which could have gone to someone who was? And Rice was fully entitled to do what he did. No rules were broken in this process.

I don't get how you can justify us being the beneficiaries of this system and at the same time express indignation when we are on the receiving end of the system. It sounds like cakeism to me.

How many times do I have to say it to you; the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland thing is different. Under the terms of the GFA people in Northern Ireland are entitled to dual citizenship.

Rice can do what he likes, I'm talking about what Ireland should do from here on. We should stop giving English born players caps at underage level, or we should insist that they declare for us if they want to join our set up and cap them in competitive games where possible and tell them in advance that that is our policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

pgj2015 wrote: »
    very overrated player anyway. i hope all Irish players nail him in any match they play against him for the rest of his career.

You either havnt seen him play or you havnt a clue. Not overrated at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

How many times do I have to say it to you; the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland thing is different. Under the terms of the GFA people in Northern Ireland are entitled to dual citizenship.

Rice can do what he likes, I'm talking about what Ireland should do from here on. We should stop giving English born players caps at underage level, or we should insist that they declare for us if they want to join our set up and cap them in competitive games where possible and tell them in advance that that is our policy.

100% people have joint citizenship and not disputing that.

What myself and others are saying is that once a player from the north has the call to join up with northern Ireland then they should either accept and then continue to play or turn it down and hope they can get called up by the republic or they could say I'm not ready to commit.

In my opinion it's the same with rice and others born in England. Either accept the call up from one and stick to it or refuse the call ups saying you havent made a decision. Different era but Kilbane turned down England waiting for Ireland to come calling.

I'm aware of what the GFA means for citizenship. It's a red herring in this discussion. You're outraged that Rice took up a place that could have gone to someone else since his heart wasn't in it, but you don't have the same outrage towards the likes of Shane Duffy, Michael Duffy etc. who took up places that could have gone to NI hopefuls when their heart wasn't fully in it. You must see how hypocritical that is?

And the idea of refusing English-born players caps or giving them ultimatums will not do us any good whatsoever. It would weaken us, driving away any potential new recruits who may have been on the fence. It's effectively making the decision for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

West Ham fans all over twitter acting like they've just won the World Cup. If Rice does turn out to be any use, he'll be a Chelsea player by the time he's an England regular.

He already was as a youth. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He already was as a youth. :o

Did Chelsea ditch him or did he choose to leave. Heard John Terry is his idol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Did Chelsea ditch him or did he choose to leave. Heard John Terry is his idol

"Surplus to requirements" apparently.

I think Rice himself has said Terry has given him a call and some advice around the time he was released by Chelsea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I wish him no bad luck, think it was a pricks move though. Hell be sorry when the English media blames the former Irishman for them getting knocked of a tournament

I was thinking about that earlier, I remember the welcome Beckham got at Upton Park after WC '98 and Southgate was given no symapthy in '96, Paul Robinson also springs to mind. The English media and fans are brutal. I know we can be brutal too but no international would have a genuine fear of their life from fans here.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

pgj2015 wrote: »

He’s about as overrated as Jadon Sancho. As in not at all. This is a big win for Southgate

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

23 appearances for Ireland before ditching us after kissing the badge

I'm aware of what the GFA means for citizenship. It's a red herring in this discussion. You're outraged that Rice took up a place that could have gone to someone else since his heart wasn't in it, but you don't have the same outrage towards the likes of Shane Duffy, Michael Duffy etc. who took up places that could have gone to NI hopefuls when their heart wasn't fully in it. You must see how hypocritical that is?

The GFA is not a red herring in this discussion. Footballers like all other citizens born in the 6 counties can have dual citizenship, so if they play for The North at underage level because they live and go to school there, if they then decide to play for the ROI there is no "switch" involved. They are entitled to play for either The North or ROI if they are born in the 6 counties.

As regards being "outraged" by rice, yes it's annoying that a player would play 3 times at senior level and then decide to piss about for months deliberating his next move. We'll get over it now that he's finally gone. I'm talking about what Ireland should do in the future.
    And the idea of refusing English-born players caps or giving them ultimatums will not do us any good whatsoever. It would weaken us, driving away any potential new recruits who may have been on the fence. It's effectively making the decision for them.

You still don't grasp that this changes things.

English born players are not to be trusted anymore. Anytime an English born player in the Ireland youth set up begins to make a name for himself or is on the fringes of an EPL squad questions will be asked about him and speculation will begin.

How do you think that affects the other Irish born players in the set up when this speculation re non Irish born players is rife? How would you feel as an Irish born player if a non Irish born player is picked ahead of you when he's likely to leave if the English FA or someone else comes calling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

**** him, complete time waster. Glad he’s finally confirmed as gone. We needs lads in a green jersey who want to be there. Not self serving mercenaries.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement