Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Will Keane is a better player than Patrick Hoban. like boxing, its all about levels.

Not saying Will Keane is good enough for Ireland either.

Theres a responsibility on management to field the best team they can to represent Ireland.

There's a responsibility on management to do what's best for the Irish international football set up. Giving experience to non Irish born players at the expense of Irish born players only for those non Irish born players to then fck off if someone else comes calling is not doing what's best for the Irish international team.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Kenny's squad announcement next month will be interesting. And also when he's the senior international manager.

I don't think you're going to see Kenny drafting in the likes of Will Keane when you have Patrick Hoban breaking goal scoring records.

Times they are (will be) changing.

They will. They have to. The FAI can't do nothing about this, that's not an option. There has to be changes.

Every English born player in Ireland youth teams will have a cloud of suspicion over them from now on.

Either get them to commit some way or other or leave them out and pick Irish born lads at underage levels instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

His statement said it all. "I am a proud Englishman, having been born and raised in London." Fair enough. It stings, but if he feels English, then his decision makes sense. It'll do his career no harm either.

He obviously threw his lot in with Ireland a few years back, thinking he'd never get into an England side, but then he had his breakthrough at senior level at West Ham, Southgate sat up and took notice and from then on, we were f**ked. I wish him no ill will, pissed off and all as I am.

Lets concentrate on the lads that actually want to play for Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think the overall situation is that bad, how many players have senior caps for England after playing underage for Ireland? We've benefited greatly from this situation overall. This is just one occasion when it has gone sour and I do think Rice will have a great career at club and possibly at country. I know Grealish is another instance but I don't think Grealish is as good as Rice.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

TheCitizen wrote: »
    There's a responsibility on management to do what's best for the Irish international football set up. Giving experience to non Irish born players at the expense of Irish born players only for those non Irish born players to then fck off if someone else comes calling is not doing what's best for the Irish international team.

Playing Rice in a competitive game at the first opportunity would have been best for the Irish national team but the manager at the time seemingly had little interest in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

On a football front Rice had the choice of playing for a team that:

Had a chance of qualifying for 2020
    Tried to bring young players through
    Made an attempt to play proper soccer

Or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Playing Rice in a competitive game at the first opportunity would have been best for the Irish national team but the manager at the time seemingly had little interest in doing so.

Agent O'Neill. He was a Nordie after all.

Another Alan Browne special tonight will cheer everyone up.

Maguire will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So we have too move on

Will there be many new names in the squad for March ??

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So we have too move on

Will there be many new names in the squad for March ??

I expect it to be very conservative.

I agree. MON should have had him on the bench and should have put him on towards the end of the home game v Moldova. From now on all Irish managers should be acutely aware of any opportunity to competively cap any non Irish born who is on the fringe of a first team squad in the EPL or Championship.

ebbsy wrote: »
    On a football front Rice had the choice of playing for a team that:

Had a chance of qualifying for 2020
    Tried to bring young players through
    Made an attempt to play proper soccer

Or Ireland.

Ireland have a good chance of qualifying for 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

I agree. MON should have had him on the bench and should have put him on towards the end of the home game v Moldova. From now on all Irish managers should be acutely aware of any opportunity to competively cap any non Irish born who is on the fringe of a first team squad in the EPL or Championship.

And if they ask for time to consider their options it should be goodbye. We don't need another saga like Grealish and Rice. FIFA seriously need to sort this out though there has to be something that ties a player who has played at every level for a country, and a full cap should do that, competitive or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Maguire scored tonight. Be great if he got a few goals in qualifiers.

mossie wrote: »
    And if they ask for time to consider their options it should be goodbye. We don't need another saga like Grealish and Rice. FIFA seriously need to sort this out though there has to be something that ties a player who has played at every level for a country, and a full cap should do that, competitive or otherwise.

Yep agreed. After Rice had played 3 times for Ireland at senior level and then decided he needed to “deliberate” on his international future at that point he should have been told to fck off. From now on any player that needs to think about their international future or isn’t fully committed should be nowhere near the first team squad, it’s an insult to the rest of our players.

And you’re right about FIFA as well. Why was the rule on it having to be a competitive game at senior level to tie a player to a country changed and what was the reason behind that change?

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »

Nicely taken too. Came from Browne rattling the crossbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

When we had Kevin Boetang win u21 euros with his brother Jerome for Germany as captain no less, then after a fall out with the German manager over crocking Ballack in the FA cup final, decided to switch to Ghana an played against Germany, rules should have been changed back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The GFA is not a red herring in this discussion. Footballers like all other citizens born in the 6 counties can have dual citizenship, so if they play for The North at underage level because they live and go to school there, if they then decide to play for the ROI there is no "switch" involved. They are entitled to play for either The North or ROI if they are born in the 6 counties.

Of course there's a switch involved. There are two teams! That they are entitled to do it is not up for debate, rather why some fans are outraged that Rice - also entitled to do what he did - took a spot that could have gone to someone else, and yet not feeling this ire for those who happen to switch to ourselves.
    TheCitizen wrote:
    English born players are not to be trusted anymore. Anytime an English born player in the Ireland youth set up begins to make a name for himself or is on the fringes of an EPL squad questions will be asked about him and speculation will begin.

How do you think that affects the other Irish born players in the set up when this speculation re non Irish born players is rife? How would you feel as an Irish born player if a non Irish born player is picked ahead of you when he's likely to leave if the English FA or someone else comes calling?

How would an Irish born player know the English-born player is likely to switch? We've been down this road before with Ciaran Clark, Harry Arter, etc. Remember the conspiracy theory that Arter was deliberately feigning injury ahead of competitive games because he was holding out for England? It's just part of the process that we have to deal with. And let's remember Obafemi was Irish-born and it wasn't any clearer that he would declare for us until he did, and that's something we'll have to deal with in future too when it comes to players born here with parents from abroad. Or should we now be issuing ultimatums to them as well?

Losing Rice is a blow but we don't need to panic and overreact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I wonder if Rice, as a proud Englishman, in light of Brexit, has an Irish passport?

Glazers Out!

Of course there's a switch involved. There are two teams! That they are entitled to do it is not up for debate, rather why some fans are outraged that Rice - also entitled to do what he did - took a spot that could have gone to someone else, and yet not feeling this ire for those who happen to switch to ourselves.

How would an Irish born player know the English-born player is likely to switch? We've been down this road before with Ciaran Clark, Harry Arter, etc. Remember the conspiracy theory that Arter was deliberately feigning injury ahead of competitive games because he was holding out for England? It's just part of the process that we have to deal with. And let's remember Obafemi was Irish-born and it wasn't any clearer that he would declare for us until he did, and that's something we'll have to deal with in future too when it comes to players born here with parents from abroad. Or should we now be issuing ultimatums to them as well?

We’ve been through all this before. Your attitude is the FAI should do nothing and change nothing about how we handle non Irish players. That’s not an option.

It is not about panicking, it’s about being proactive, be quicker about tying down players that are in first team EPL squads and don’t bother pursuing non Irish born players at a young age. Give that international experience to Irish born lads instead and focus on developing structures here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You are absolutely correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I wonder did Roy Keane's antics last year have any affect on Rice and start a mindset change?

In my opinion the negative reprecussions of the O'Neill / Keane stewardship will last longer than that from Trappatoni or Stevie Staunton. reason I say this is that O'Neill and Keane look to have been bullies and the negative effects went beyond the pitch. If Keane had been dealt with straight away and got rid of when the bullying took place maybe just maybe Rice might have felt that there was a more professional organisation, an organisation that is ok to work within around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Putting the whole Rice thing aside for a moment, can anyone tell me if Josh Giurgi is eligible for any other country besides Ireland? Scored a nice goal earlier for the u17s v Poland.

dixiefly wrote: »
    I wonder did Roy Keane's antics last year have any affect on Rice and start a mindset change?

In my opinion the negative reprecussions of the O'Neill / Keane stewardship will last longer than that from Trappatoni or Stevie Staunton. reason I say this is that O'Neill and Keane look to have been bullies and the negative effects went beyond the pitch. If Keane had been dealt with straight away and got rid of when the bullying took place maybe just maybe Rice might have felt that there was a more professional organisation, an organisation that is ok to work within around here.
    About 6 weeks ago when there was speculation that Rice was going to declare for Ireland there were posters on here saying well done to Mick and it was the previous management team that was at fault for Rice deliberations. Now that Rice has officially defected posters are still trying to pin the blame on the MON or Keane. This is down to Rice and his agent chasing coin it has nothing to do with MON or Keane or Mick McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

splashuum wrote: »
    Putting the whole Rice thing aside for a moment, can anyone tell me if Josh Giurgi is eligible for any other country besides Ireland? Scored a nice goal earlier for the u17s v Poland.

Romania I think it is.

noodler wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct.

He’s definitely wrong now. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Romania I think it is.

Could be another dilemma for us for Qatar World Cup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Could be another dilemma for us for Qatar World Cup :D

Quite a few young lads around that age group that are Irish born to foreign parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder what the story is with Patrick Bamford

Hardly be in the squad for March ??

It's certainly true that the cracks appeared at the time Arter walked out and Jon Walters had to wind Keane's neck on on behalf of English born players, an issue he had going back to his "you weren't even born here" comment in Saipan. But we may never know.

• Advertisement

Getting English born young lads to play underage for Ireland appears to be a fairly pointless exercise. If you look at the current Irish squad and the English born in it a lot of them didn’t play for Ireland till under 21 level and would we desperately miss any of them if they didn’t declare for us?

Give the experience at underage to Irish born lads and if an English born player really wants to play for us let him come straight in and be definitely tied to us at senior level with no speculation and damaging will he won’t he sagas.

Time to make changes and stop the messing around with this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

All I see on Twitter is how the Rice situation proves that the FAI need to promote and invest in the the domestic game and structures. Would love to know where the money for this is going to come from.

It's certainly true that the cracks appeared at the time Arter walked out and Jon Walters had to wind Keane's neck on on behalf of English born players, an issue he had going back to his "you weren't even born here" comment in Saipan. But we may never know.

There was no suggestion that Keane had a row with Harry Arter because he was English born. The row as Stephen Ward outlined it was that Keane was questioning his commitment as Arter sat out a training session. Wards WhatsApp message on what happened made no mention whatsoever of an English born issue with Arter and Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

TheCitizen wrote:
    It is not about panicking, it’s about being proactive, be quicker about tying down players that are in first team EPL squads and don’t bother pursuing non Irish born players at a young age. Give that international experience to Irish born lads instead and focus on developing structures here in Ireland.

What players should we be quicker about tying down if we dont persue non Irish born players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Romania I think it is.

I see already on Twitter someone made a comment that in 3 years what country will he play for and somebody related to him sister or mother, got straight back with Ireland. Hopefully no issue there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Eod100 wrote: »

Be great if his hamstring would hold up for a run of games. Has the ability, but just so injury prone. Browne played well again and hit a screamer of a shot that came out to Maguire and he buried it with his left foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Dots1982 wrote: »
    All I see on Twitter is how the Rice situation proves that the FAI need to promote and invest in the the domestic game and structures. Would love to know where the money for this is going to come from.

Agree here. Mostly LOI fans I'd say. You can throw millions at that league I don't see the difference it would make. Any players with potential will still be off to england at 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fair play to Rice he is going to be a cracking footballer. The only issue I have is he played senior football for us, kissed the badge and sang the anthem. He then realised how good he could be and jumped ship. He will be a massive player for England.

What players should we be quicker about tying down if we dont persue non Irish born players?

Any player that comes in fully developed and ready for the senior side. We shouldn’t bother capping English born lads at underage level is what I’m saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

There was no suggestion that Keane had a row with Harry Arter because he was English born. The row as Stephen Ward outlined it was that Keane was questioning his commitment as Arter sat out a training session. Wards WhatsApp message on what happened made no mention whatsoever of an English born issue with Arter and Keane.

My earlier point about Keane's antics was mot a suggestion that his possible bullying was racism based, i.e English guys playing for Ireland being an issue for Keane. It was Keane's general attitude as described by Stephen Ward and also O'Neill's general attitude to Tommy Gorman did not provide an indicator of a generally happy camp.

I could be totally wrong of course and this was just related to the positives outlined by Southgate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Agree here. Mostly LOI fans I'd say. You can throw millions at that league I don't see the difference it would make. Any players with potential will still be off to england at 16.

.... and back home 18 months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I’m not saying I wouldn’t like millions to be invested in the domestic game, in infrastructures, in schoolboy clubs and in centers of excellence. I’m just saying I see people on twitter saying this has to be future without being cognizant of where this money for investment is supposed to come from.

sugarman wrote: »
    You cant just disregard a massive pool of potential players because 2 lads out of how many thousand that have come through the youth ranks got their head turned.

I'm as irked and disappointed as anyone else about Rice but thats not the solution.

Sure this is only the start of it, its going to be a much bigger problem for us over the next decade even losing Irish born players to other nations. The ones that hail from African and Eastern European backgrounds / communities.

:pac: This is desperate stuff.

What massive pool of potential players are you talking about? The pool has run dry. The halcyon days of Ireland getting players from England and elsewhere with Irish parents and Grandparents was back in Jack Charlton's time and before when we picked up players ready to go straight into the senior side. Players like Aldridge, Houghton Townsend, these players never played youth football for Ireland, they came straight into the senior side.

In recent years that pool of players began disappearing and the FAI went looking to try to get them when they were younger to convert to Ireland like the Jesuits or something. However they are now finding that loophole being closed off as the English FA keep an eye on anyone who is half good and just nab them and take them back.

The door will always be open for a non Irish born player to come and play for Ireland if they really want to, but the pool of potential players from that source is gone and the attempt to get them into our youth set up only for the good one's to then leave is embarrassing.

It's over, get over it. We need to make our own players. This Rice shambles could be the wake up call that Irish soccer really needs at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Does someone with the knowledge have a list of the Irish underage players from 17s - 21s to keep an eye on? Always been curious as to the names I should try and follow a bit of and who we might see in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My earlier point about Keane's antics was mot a suggestion that his possible bullying was racism based, i.e English guys playing for Ireland being an issue for Keane. It was Keane's general attitude as described by Stephen Ward and also O'Neill's general attitude to Tommy Gorman did not provide an indicator of a generally happy camp.

I could be totally wrong of course and this was just related to the positives outlined by Southgate.
    I think Roy Keane clearly has an issue with English born players declaring for ireland.
    https://www.joe.ie/sport/roy-keane-every-tom-dick-and-harry-is-claiming-to-be-irish-23978

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Does someone with the knowledge have a list of the Irish underage players from 17s - 21s to keep an eye on? Always been curious as to the names I should try and follow a bit of and who we might see in a few years.
    I would say Troy Parrott (17) at spurs is one people are very excited about, also Ryan Nolan who is at inter milan (19) and has been named in inter milans europa league squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Bridge93 wrote: »

Check out Irish abroad in Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

gmisk wrote: »
    I would say Troy Parrott (17) at spurs is one people are very excited about, also Ryan Nolan who is at inter milan (19) and has been named in inter milans europa league squad.

Also eligible for Spain if they were interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

.... and back home 18 months later.

Just like Seamus Coleman. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ste- wrote: »
    Just like Seamus Coleman. ;)

For every Shem Coleman there's 20 Jack Byrnes.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement