Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Coleman was 20 going over as well, big difference.

If anything he's an example of the benefits of playing LOI football before heading over.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Coleman was 20 going over as well, big difference.

If anything he's an example of the benefits of playing LOI football before heading over.

Coleman is a rare anomaly to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Coleman, Wes, Shane Long, Ward, Kevin Doyle, McClean, Meyler, Daryl Murphy, Kevin Long.

All played League of Ireland football before going over and all have played key roles in Ireland squads over the past few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Does someone with the knowledge have a list of the Irish underage players from 17s - 21s to keep an eye on? Always been curious as to the names I should try and follow a bit of and who we might see in a few years.
    Is that you Gareth Southgate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

gmisk wrote: »
    I think Roy Keane clearly has an issue with English born players declaring for ireland.
    https://www.joe.ie/sport/roy-keane-every-tom-dick-and-harry-is-claiming-to-be-irish-23978

He won't want his kids playing for Ireland so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What a load of BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that absolutely no Irish have emigrated to England over the last 30 years? :pac:

In England there are over 6 million people with at least one Irish grand parent! Thats 10% of their population. If even 1% of that are footballers thats a potential pool of 60K you want to disregard because of 2 players!

...and thats just grandparents, there are close to 500k Irish living and working in England at present of which many have English born children already and there will be just as many if not more in the future.

This is nonsense.

We didnt really have any underage setup until the early 90s.

From the mid 80s the U16s would have had 2 games a year and U18s 6 games over 2 years.

We didnt really have an u21s team either until their Euro 88 qualifiers, of which they played 4 games for. They then didnt enter for the 1990 edition and only really began competing from 1992 onward on a regular basis.

So in other words, it was difficult for players to have played games when there wasn't really any.

If you look at our Irish born players of the era, very few played at any underage level for Ireland too.

What is this supposed to mean? I keep hearing this rubbish. No amount of money or infrastructure put into the grassroots or the LOI is going to make a blind bit of difference to the International team.

Our best prospects have always and will always be hand picked by English and Scottish clubs from Schoolboy level. Look at the amount of players that go directly from Home Farm, St. Kevins, St. Joesphs, Belvedere etc.. If they slip through the radar at schoolboy, its not long after they're picked up from the league for pittance anyway.

All Irish players grow up supporting English and Scottish clubs and wanting to play for them or at least wanting to play at the highest level in PL. When a club comes knocking, they're going to go and the UK clubs and academies are going to be the ones responsible for developing our players, end of.

The argument is about improving standards of training and what not that schoolboy players receive here before they move. While the rest of the world moved on when it came to youth development we didn't which means that all the 16 year olds that leave here to go to England are both physically and technically at the same level as players two years younger than them in England. You'll get the odd few who'll push on with the training they receive in England but the vast majority are playing catch up from day one and never make it and more often than not come home or drop down the leagues.

When Brexit comes in there's a good chance players won't be able to move until 18 which means they've gotta wait another two years before actually entering a proper professional environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What players should we be quicker about tying down if we dont persue non Irish born players?

Any player that comes in fully developed and ready for the senior side. We shouldn’t bother capping English born lads at underage level is what I’m saying.
    So proper English players? the reason we keep a lot of these lads is that they enjoy playing for Ireland and coming to turn up for Irish youth games.
     What would have happened to lads like Kilbane who only wanted to play for Ireland? You're saying dont pick them until their regular in the EPL, they wont want to play for us then if we ignored them underage and had no interest in them until they made it.
     Thats a key reason a lot of players end up playing for ROI/NI/SCO/WAL because England never showed any interest in them until they were EPL regulars. I think thats changing under Southgate but used to definitely be the case,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Interesting article here on the possible impact of Roy's bust up with Walters and Arter and it's possible impact on Rice.

I wonder did Dealaney get wind of the issue and might it have influenced the decision to finally get rid of Roy and Martin?

I am sure that we wont find out unless Delaney writes his memoirs.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/roy-keanes-training-ground-bust-up-and-englands-likability-just-when-was-declan-rices-head-turned-37816145.html

At the end of May, England's social media strategy was beginning to take over Twitter timelines. Gareth Southgate's squad were embarking on a new venture away from lodgings once described as "five star prisons" and there was an active push to get fans and media onside.

This was a new England, far removed from the volatile days of the past.

In their pre-World Cup base in Repino there was a basketball court, driving simulator, PlayStations and a games room. There was a recovery pool where the players raced inflatable unicorns. The media engaged in darts tournaments against Southgate's squad.

This was the beginning of a pointed campaign that would lead to the country going all in with Southgate and his players. Football was coming home and for the first time in generations, it seemed the whole of England was right behind their team.

England had embraced modern society and media and the public bought it. What aspiring England player would not want this?

While the feel-good factor across the pond was ramping up, things were taking a different route back in Dublin.

We will probably never know exactly what happened on May 31 at the Irish training camp in Dublin as Martin O'Neill and his men prepared for a friendly two days later against the USA.

What we do know is that Roy Keane was embroiled in a heated row with firstly Jon Walters, and then Harry Arter.

One source told Independent.ie that Declan Rice was present as Keane vented his anger and the West Ham man was heard to question why he was even there.

Only Declan Rice knows if this had any bearing on his choice to switch international allegiance to England but the juxtaposition of the scenes at both England and Ireland's training camps is telling.

Prior to the Keane incident, there was a consistent narrative from Rice.

Learn more

May 23, 2017 (After getting call up from Martin O'Neill): "To play on Sunday, to make my Premier League debut, something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid, and then to get the call from Martin [O'Neill] to say that I was going to come in and train... it's a dream come true.

"My family are so proud. I just wish my nan and granddad could be here to see it because they are from Cork and this training camp is in Cork, so it would have been lovely, but unfortunately they are not here."

March 20, 2018 (After winning Ireland U19 Player of the Year award): "There's no decision to be made. I have not had a call from the FA and England have never wanted me at under-age level - it's always been Ireland.

"I'm here with Ireland and I've been called up by Martin. I'm really looking forward to this week and I'm looking forward to getting to know the boys better.

"I'm fully focused on playing for Ireland. There's no decision to be made. If I didn't want to be playing for Ireland, I wouldn't be here.

"No (I wouldn't meet with Southgate), not at all. I'm fully focused on Ireland."

March 23, 2018 (After making debut against Turkey): "It (The Irish Anthem) brought a little bit of a tear to my eye singing it and (remembering) my nana and grandad. It was a special moment."

Nothing to see here, then.

But on June 4, five days after the much-talked about bust-up, Rice was a little more reserved.

"I just have to stay focused and play football with a smile on my face. I don't read too much into things and look at social media. It's all a load of crap. It's a question that keeps on being asked. But I'm just focused on playing and enjoying my football. There are two games in September and I'm looking forward to them."

1470683.jpg
    Rice pictured alongside former Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill. Photo: Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile
    And that was the last we heard from Rice speaking as an Ireland international. In the following days, he accepted an invitation to meet with Gareth Southgate and informed Martin O'Neill that he was considering his international future.

While we can't say with any certainty that the Keane incident had any hand in Rice's thinking, nor can we assume England's new-found likability turned his head, we can try and put the jigsaw together.

Rice swapped Irish jingoism for a St George's training ground rendezvous with Gareth Southgate and the rest is history.

Writing in today's Irish Daily Star, Eamon Dunphy pointed the finger of blame firmly at Martin O'Neill and alluded to the Keane row as a pivotal moment.

"Something happened last summer. He decided to take a break to have a long, hard look at his international future," wrote Dunphy.

"You'd have to question the nature of the set-up under O'Neill that led to that situation. Look at the stuff that came out about Harry Arter and Keane.

"I expect things to improve under Mick McCarthy but Rice's memory of Ireland is of Martin O'Neill's Ireland. This is O'Neill's legacy. The best Irish eligible player in 20 years opting for England."

Whatever the reasoning, this is one that will hurt Ireland fans. A serious talent and someone who quite obviously has a strong affinity to Ireland. But Rice did spend his childhood supporting England, despite his father's best efforts. And this is where the complex talking point on dual nationality arises.

Rice's father was not born in Ireland but was brought up in a part of London very much immersed in Irish culture. But London has changed and Rice's circumstances and upbringing in London was not the same as that of Kevin Kilbane, who has criticised Rice for wearing the Ireland jersey and defecting to England.

One thing that is certain, Ireland's loss is England's gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I dunno, people will try and focus on things like that. Could just be he thinks he will better chance of success at Euros and making it to World Cups with England rather than Ireland.

• Advertisement

What a load of BS

OK.

Hard to disagree with that reasonably put response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

dixiefly wrote: »
    Interesting article here on the possible impact of Roy's bust up with Walters and Arter and it's possible impact on Rice.

I wonder did Dealaney get wind of the issue and might it have influenced the decision to finally get rid of Roy and Martin?

I am sure that we wont find out unless Delaney writes his memoirs.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/roy-keanes-training-ground-bust-up-and-englands-likability-just-when-was-declan-rices-head-turned-37816145.html

At the end of May, England's social media strategy was beginning to take over Twitter timelines. Gareth Southgate's squad were embarking on a new venture away from lodgings once described as "five star prisons" and there was an active push to get fans and media onside.

This was a new England, far removed from the volatile days of the past.

In their pre-World Cup base in Repino there was a basketball court, driving simulator, PlayStations and a games room. There was a recovery pool where the players raced inflatable unicorns. The media engaged in darts tournaments against Southgate's squad.

This was the beginning of a pointed campaign that would lead to the country going all in with Southgate and his players. Football was coming home and for the first time in generations, it seemed the whole of England was right behind their team.

England had embraced modern society and media and the public bought it. What aspiring England player would not want this?

While the feel-good factor across the pond was ramping up, things were taking a different route back in Dublin.

We will probably never know exactly what happened on May 31 at the Irish training camp in Dublin as Martin O'Neill and his men prepared for a friendly two days later against the USA.

What we do know is that Roy Keane was embroiled in a heated row with firstly Jon Walters, and then Harry Arter.

One source told Independent.ie that Declan Rice was present as Keane vented his anger and the West Ham man was heard to question why he was even there.

Only Declan Rice knows if this had any bearing on his choice to switch international allegiance to England but the juxtaposition of the scenes at both England and Ireland's training camps is telling.

Prior to the Keane incident, there was a consistent narrative from Rice.

Learn more

May 23, 2017 (After getting call up from Martin O'Neill): "To play on Sunday, to make my Premier League debut, something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid, and then to get the call from Martin [O'Neill] to say that I was going to come in and train... it's a dream come true.

"My family are so proud. I just wish my nan and granddad could be here to see it because they are from Cork and this training camp is in Cork, so it would have been lovely, but unfortunately they are not here."

March 20, 2018 (After winning Ireland U19 Player of the Year award): "There's no decision to be made. I have not had a call from the FA and England have never wanted me at under-age level - it's always been Ireland.

"I'm here with Ireland and I've been called up by Martin. I'm really looking forward to this week and I'm looking forward to getting to know the boys better.

"I'm fully focused on playing for Ireland. There's no decision to be made. If I didn't want to be playing for Ireland, I wouldn't be here.

"No (I wouldn't meet with Southgate), not at all. I'm fully focused on Ireland."

March 23, 2018 (After making debut against Turkey): "It (The Irish Anthem) brought a little bit of a tear to my eye singing it and (remembering) my nana and grandad. It was a special moment."

Nothing to see here, then.

But on June 4, five days after the much-talked about bust-up, Rice was a little more reserved.

"I just have to stay focused and play football with a smile on my face. I don't read too much into things and look at social media. It's all a load of crap. It's a question that keeps on being asked. But I'm just focused on playing and enjoying my football. There are two games in September and I'm looking forward to them."

1470683.jpg
    Rice pictured alongside former Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill. Photo: Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile
    And that was the last we heard from Rice speaking as an Ireland international. In the following days, he accepted an invitation to meet with Gareth Southgate and informed Martin O'Neill that he was considering his international future.

While we can't say with any certainty that the Keane incident had any hand in Rice's thinking, nor can we assume England's new-found likability turned his head, we can try and put the jigsaw together.

Rice swapped Irish jingoism for a St George's training ground rendezvous with Gareth Southgate and the rest is history.

Writing in today's Irish Daily Star, Eamon Dunphy pointed the finger of blame firmly at Martin O'Neill and alluded to the Keane row as a pivotal moment.

"Something happened last summer. He decided to take a break to have a long, hard look at his international future," wrote Dunphy.

"You'd have to question the nature of the set-up under O'Neill that led to that situation. Look at the stuff that came out about Harry Arter and Keane.

"I expect things to improve under Mick McCarthy but Rice's memory of Ireland is of Martin O'Neill's Ireland. This is O'Neill's legacy. The best Irish eligible player in 20 years opting for England."

Whatever the reasoning, this is one that will hurt Ireland fans. A serious talent and someone who quite obviously has a strong affinity to Ireland. But Rice did spend his childhood supporting England, despite his father's best efforts. And this is where the complex talking point on dual nationality arises.

Rice's father was not born in Ireland but was brought up in a part of London very much immersed in Irish culture. But London has changed and Rice's circumstances and upbringing in London was not the same as that of Kevin Kilbane, who has criticised Rice for wearing the Ireland jersey and defecting to England.

One thing that is certain, Ireland's loss is England's gain.

Such bollocks. A player makes a long term decision based on the events of short term management (which is essentially what international management is)? I don't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

March 20, 2018 (After winning Ireland U19 Player of the Year award): "There's no decision to be made. I have not had a call from the FA and England have never wanted me at under-age level - it's always been Ireland.”

From the article posted above, that’s all you need to read. He wasn’t in England squads underage because they didn’t want him, no his undying love for Ireland. Now they do, and he bails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Coleman, Wes, Shane Long, Ward, Kevin Doyle, McClean, Meyler, Daryl Murphy, Kevin Long.

All played League of Ireland football before going over and all have played key roles in Ireland squads over the past few years.

Don't think long ever played for Cork before heading to Reading.

Don't think long ever played for Cork before heading to Reading.

Think he played a game or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

OK.

Hard to disagree with that reasonably put response

A stupid comment like yours deserves nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Are you seriously suggesting that absolutely no Irish have emigrated to England over the last 30 years? :pac:

In England there are over 6 million people with at least one Irish grand parent! Thats 10% of their population. If even 1% of that are footballers thats a potential pool of 60K you want to disregard because of 2 players!

...and thats just grandparents, there are close to 500k Irish living and working in England at present of which many have English born children already and there will be just as many if not more in the future.

This is nonsense.

We didnt really have any underage setup until the early 90s.

From the mid 80s the U16s would have had 2 games a year and U18s 6 games over 2 years.

We didnt really have an u21s team either until their Euro 88 qualifiers, of which they played 4 games for. They then didnt enter for the 1990 edition and only really began competing from 1992 onward on a regular basis.

So in other words, it was difficult for players to have played games when there wasn't really any.

If you look at our Irish born players of the era, very few played at any underage level for Ireland too.

What is this supposed to mean? I keep hearing this rubbish. No amount of money or infrastructure put into the grassroots or the LOI is going to make a blind bit of difference to the International team.

Our best prospects have always and will always be hand picked by English and Scottish clubs from Schoolboy level. Look at the amount of players that go directly from Home Farm, St. Kevins, St. Joesphs, Belvedere etc.. If they slip through the radar at schoolboy, its not long after they're picked up from the league for pittance anyway.

All Irish players grow up supporting English and Scottish clubs and wanting to play for them or at least wanting to play at the highest level in PL. When a club comes knocking, they're going to go and the UK clubs and academies are going to be the ones responsible for developing our players, end of.

I'm not sure you understand what I was getting at. The amount of people in general that have emigrated from Ireland to Britain might have reduced in the last 30 years or maybe not, that's not the point I was making. We were getting players from the Irish communities in the UK, the volume of those players and the quality has reduced dramatically. It's not the same at all. Back then we were getting Liverpool players like Lawrenson, Aldridge, Houghton, Robinson, McAteer, Babb, Sheedy from Everton, and players at top end top flight clubs like Tony Galvin, Andy Townsend etc.. there was a conveyor belt of players from that pool as it was described above along with loads of average players like Kernaghan, Slaven, Tommy Coyne, John Sheridan.

All we get now is average players and it's a trickle in comparison to back then. Jon Walters is probably the best from that source in recent years and he's more or less finished. Ciaran Clarke? Harry Arter? Would we even miss those type of players if they never declared for us?

We're going to have to produce more players in this country and yes they can go into academies in England if they'll have them or need them, and we'll have to develop more players here and then they go over to bigger leagues a bit older, to Belgium and Holland perhaps not just England and Scotland.

The pool from the Irish communities in the UK is greatly reduced, nearly gone. Taking in young players with Irish backgrounds and helping to develop them for the England international team if they turn out to be any good seems a waste of precious resources. It's just not there in the UK anymore as a reliable source for the Irish national team. We have to make other plans.

So proper English players? the reason we keep a lot of these lads is that they enjoy playing for Ireland and coming to turn up for Irish youth games.
     What would have happened to lads like Kilbane who only wanted to play for Ireland? You're saying dont pick them until their regular in the EPL, they wont want to play for us then if we ignored them underage and had no interest in them until they made it.
     Thats a key reason a lot of players end up playing for ROI/NI/SCO/WAL because England never showed any interest in them until they were EPL regulars. I think thats changing under Southgate but used to definitely be the case,.

If young players of Irish heritage want to come and play of course we won't turn them away. I'm saying this effort of trying to find players of Irish heritage is proving a less fruitful exercise and now with the rules changed we find that the best ones don't stay with us anymore anyway.

Ryan Nolan makes the bench for Inters Europa League game this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Ryan Nolan makes the bench for Inters Europa League game this evening.

Get the lad capped before the Italians get him a passport.

No on a serious note...we should be talking about lads like him instead of auld Snap Crackle and Pop.

A stupid comment like yours deserves nothing more

Christ! Get a grip!

dixiefly wrote: »

It's hard to think an English born young player would not be affected by an assistant manager who seemed fixated on the possibility that English born players would fake injury and scream abuse at them.

The irony of course is that one player exaggerated an injury to avoid a World Cup play-off and stay fit for English club matches...and he was born in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Get the lad capped before the Italians get him a passport.

No on a serious note...we should be talking about lads like him instead of auld Snap Crackle and Pop.

He cant play for Italy but can play for Spain on residency grounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah so its back to cap all the dual teenagers!

Dont think so, I remember reading you've to live there continuously for 5 years after the age of 18 to be eligible on residency grounds.

Think with Spain it's ten years of continuous residency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The Liverpool/ United argument from 20/30 years ago is not the same, eligibility rules have changed since Bosman. The ratio of Irish to English players in the Premier league is probably much the same.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He cant play for Italy but can play for Spain on residency grounds

Of course he can play for Italy as soon as he qualifies for a passport. 5 years in the country and he can go through the process of naturalisation. Not long to go before that is possible.

Alternatively he can invest a few million in a company to get the passport....as many Russians have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I'm not sure you understand what I was getting at. The amount of people in general that have emigrated from Ireland to Britain might have reduced in the last 30 years or maybe not, that's not the point I was making. We were getting players from the Irish communities in the UK, the volume of those players and the quality has reduced dramatically. It's not the same at all. Back then we were getting Liverpool players like Lawrenson, Aldridge, Houghton, Robinson, McAteer, Babb, Sheedy from Everton, and players at top end top flight clubs like Tony Galvin, Andy Townsend etc.. there was a conveyor belt of players from that pool as it was described above along with loads of average players like Kernaghan, Slaven, Tommy Coyne, John Sheridan.

All we get now is average players and it's a trickle in comparison to back then. Jon Walters is probably the best from that source in recent years and he's more or less finished. Ciaran Clarke? Harry Arter? Would we even miss those type of players if they never declared for us?

We're going to have to produce more players in this country and yes they can go into academies in England if they'll have them or need them, and we'll have to develop more players here and then they go over to bigger leagues a bit older, to Belgium and Holland perhaps not just England and Scotland.

The pool from the Irish communities in the UK is greatly reduced, nearly gone. Taking in young players with Irish backgrounds and helping to develop them for the England international team if they turn out to be any good seems a waste of precious resources. It's just not there in the UK anymore as a reliable source for the Irish national team. We have to make other plans.

2 players have turned their back on us for the motherland. Hardly a waste of precious resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

You'll always get lads that will dip their toes into both camps when dual national, especially when the two countries are Ireland and England. Louie Barry is another young lad that qualifies for both and think he's played u15s and u16s with both England and Ireland, Armstrong Okoflex the same.

I'd prefer a player that makes his mind up and chooses a side.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have no issue tbh with a player switching from northern ireland to republic of ireland at junior level and vice versa.

I am thinking of my nephew really, he is 12, he has been called up for a training camp for the Northern Ireland team, now him and all his family would probably prefer he play for the Republic of Ireland, but its not as if the training facilities etc are handy for them or they have any scouts from the ROI up there watching many junior players.

If when he gets a bit older he wants to switch to play for ROI I see no issue at all with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

gmisk wrote: »
    I have no issue tbh with a player switching from northern ireland to republic of ireland at junior level and vice versa.

I am thinking of my nephew really, he is 12, he has been called up for a training camp for the Northern Ireland team, now him and all his family would probably prefer he play for the Republic of Ireland, but its not as if the training facilities etc are handy for them or they have any scouts from the ROI up there watching many junior players.

If when he gets a bit older he wants to switch to play for ROI I see no issue at all with that.

So take the money off the NI FAI to invest in your nephew and then switch to Ireland who couldn't be bother investing in him!

That makes sense!!

And we give out about McIllroy doing that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So take the money off the NI FAI to invest in your nephew and then switch to Ireland who couldn't be bother investing in him!

That makes sense!!

It’s not that simple.
    The player lives well into N. Ireland apparently and it’s not feasible for him to play in the south because of distance.

Mc Ilroy was just a sneaky wee git. Taking from anyone he saw fit. A user with no backbone who refused to play under either banner through lack of guts imo and lied through his teeth. Zico fly my hole.

2 players have turned their back on us for the motherland. Hardly a waste of precious resources.

Two players that were taking the place of other players. I dislike the fact that we are giving international experience to players that will leave us and play for another country if they turn out to be any good. It's not just about resources, it's about the morale of other Irish born players in the set up who are missing out on opportunities and about the trust and overall team ethic in those teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It’s not that simple.
    The player lives well into N. Ireland apparently and it’s not feasible for him to play in the south because of distance.

Mc Ilroy was just a sneaky wee git. Taking from anyone he saw fit. A user with no backbone who refused to play under either banner through lack of guts imo and lied through his teeth. Zico fly my hole.
    He is based in far north of County Antrim so yes not much chance he could get to ROI to train.
    He is a 12yo kid, he might decide to play with Northern Ireland if he enjoys it of course, but I dont think in this instance he should be tied to northern ireland til he is older.

That makes sense!!

Players have to play with the association that they are based in until they are 15 is the rule I think. So even if the FAI wanted him they have to wait until he's older like Lee Harkin, Jordan McEneff who both switched at u16 as well as Darren Gibson.

GUI is an all island body. Who did you want him to play for as an amateur?

Some tangent this is...

fullstop wrote: »
    GUI is an all island body. Who did you want him to play for as an amateur?

Some tangent this is...

It’s the Olympics I was evidently talking about.
    He represented neither country but it’s common knowledge around these parts (border area) that he would have preferred to plat for GB despite being brought through his entire career as a junior by the GUI.
    There’s your tangent.

It’s the Olympics I was evidently talking about.
    He represented neither country but it’s common knowledge around these parts (border area) that he would have preferred to plat for GB despite being brought through his entire career as a junior by the GUI.
    There’s your tangent.

What’s did he ‘take from anyone he saw fit’ there?! Nothing.

• Advertisement

What’s did he ‘take from anyone he saw fit’ there?! Nothing.

He attended lots of Junior coaching and was fed and watered and plenty of his travel and overnight accommodation was paid for too by the GUI and by some private individuals.
    His “Irishness” suited him when he felt like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

pgj2015 wrote: »

Hopefully the FAI will do it right this time and if he hesitates then he's told to **** off.

He attended lots of Junior coaching and was fed and watered and plenty of his travel and overnight accommodation was paid for too by the GUI and by some private individuals.
    His “Irishness” suited him when he felt like it.

“It’s the olympics I was evidently talking about”. But now it’s not, it’s his amateur career?? Make up your mind. He was representing Ireland, of course his accommodation was paid for while on international duty. It’s not like he could have played for England or anyone else now is it, even if he wanted to :rolleyes:

Anyway, I’ll leave you to it cause you haven’t a notion what you’re talking about.

Lads Rice had his mind made up for him......money speaks and the West Ham owners wanted him in the England team, add to that his agent will also have been in his ear. They hope he will be the shooting star that will improve their marketing deals and eventually they will sell him for an exorted price.

Good to see the new management team continuing to keep an eye on LOI players tonight, Terry Connor was at Dundalk v Sligo and Robbie was at Bohs v Harps.

According to the commentary McCarthy was in Richmond too.

“It’s the olympics I was evidently talking about”. But now it’s not, it’s his amateur career?? Make up your mind. He was representing Ireland, of course his accommodation was paid for while on international duty. It’s not like he could have played for England or anyone else now is it, even if he wanted to :rolleyes:

Anyway, I’ll leave you to it cause you haven’t a notion what you’re talking about.

You’re the one who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. You don’t seem able to read. It was simple enough to read.
    Maybe the Zico fly got you too.

A bit of PR for the FAI, more than anything else.

A bit of PR for the FAI, more than anything else.

99.9% wouldn't have noticed if they weren't there though.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »

Pity he picked up an injury last week against Preston. Got himself into the starting 11 and was playing well. Think he's out for a few weeks which is a pity because if he continued on starting for Bolton there could have been a shout for him to at least get a call up to the senior squad for Mick and co to have a closer look at him. Has been playing in midfield in the league games for Bolton and could (hopefully) take up that role Rice would have played in midfield and also played LB/LWB while being able to fill in at RB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement