Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

99.9% wouldn't have noticed if they weren't there though.

Eh.........The PR is in them being there. Nobody would have been surprised or really brought up the subject if they weren't there as it is the norm for decades for Irish managerial teams.

Don't expect this to be a regular thing. Opening weekend of the league, a nice few photo opportunities for the media ! Their employers say go out tonight and make it look like we (the FAI) care about the League!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Eh.........The PR is in them being there. Nobody would have been surprised or really brought up the subject if they weren't there as it is the norm for decades for Irish managerial teams.

Don't expect this to be a regular thing. Opening weekend of the league, a nice few photo opportunities for the media ! Their employers say go out tonight and make it look like we (the FAI) care about the League!

So..

Don't go to the games - They don't care about the league.

Go to games - They don't care about the league, just PR.

Not everything is conspiracy,
    They've listens to the fans, got in an U21 manager who knows the league inside out with him taking the senior role.
    The currant senior team seem to be involved too.
    Let's get behind them. I'm liking what's going on right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pity he picked up an injury last week against Preston. Got himself into the starting 11 and was playing well. Think he's out for a few weeks which is a pity because if he continued on starting for Bolton there could have been a shout for him to at least get a call up to the senior squad for Mick and co to have a closer look at him. Has been playing in midfield in the league games for Bolton and could (hopefully) take up that role Rice would have played in midfield and also played LB/LWB while being able to fill in at RB.

if he doesn't pull a grealish or rice. i wouldn't trust any english born player to choose us over england now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I think someone should speak to him see what his thoughts are. If they get any hint that he is holding out for England let that be it. I wonder is he first generation Irish or second like the other two. You would hope a first generation might have more respect for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Will Keane with goal for Ipswich, Judge with the assist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Simon Cox hat trick, 15 this season.

McGeady with another ther goal last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

noodler wrote: »
    Simon Cox hat trick, 15 this season.

McGeady with another ther goal last night.

Mc Clean on target as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Man's got a point.

It's a brilliant brilliant point...that's why I made it on this very thread weeks ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It is a good point but at the same time there's more to Irish football and contributing to it than going to watch your local league of ireland team especially when you consider that we've only 20 clubs and 8 of those clubs are based in Cork or Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

It's a brilliant brilliant point...that's why I made it on this very thread weeks ago!
    I dip in and out of this thread because it's too miserable.

Signing off, see ye in three months.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thing is, you can go to a LoI game and be immediately turned off by it depending on the crowd and game.

I occasionally went to games for a few years with friends who went a bit more often. Maybe only 5-6 games a year for a while. Some of them were absolutely dire, but that's to be expected at any level.

What was off-putting was the crowds sometimes, or rather sections of the crowds. Maybe because it's relatively small, the ones that consider themselves hardcore types really stick out and are a bit of an embarrassment. It does not make for a good atmosphere sometimes. Grown men shouting all sorts of nonsense

That said, I've been to some games with great crowds which make you want to go back again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Weepsie wrote: »

What was off-putting was the crowds sometimes, or rather sections of the crowds. Maybe because it's relatively small, the ones that consider themselves hardcore types really stick out and are a bit of an embarrassment. It does not make for a good atmosphere sometimes. Grown men shouting all sorts of nonsense

That happens everywhere too.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

It is a good point but at the same time there's more to Irish football and contributing to it than going to watch your local league of ireland team especially when you consider that we've only 20 clubs and 8 of those clubs are based in Cork or Dublin.

So, 40% of the national league clubs come from counties with 40% of the country's population?

It'd also be great if more people supported their local non-LoI club. That, along with more incentive from the association/league, might help more teams to justify the cost of competing nationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That happens everywhere too.

I think it's definitely more noticeable here because of the size of the crowds though. Same few idiots couldn't be heard if it was crowd of 10 or 20k say like matches in UK. Obviously not fault of league. Maybe people near by could tell them to quieten down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think it's definitely more noticeable here because of the size of the crowds though. Same few idiots couldn't be heard if it was crowd of 10 or 20k say like matches in UK. Obviously not fault of league. Maybe people near by could tell them to quieten down.

If you assemble a crowd, the law of averages says there'll be a few cavemen in it.

I've been to U12 girls GAA blitzs in county grounds where grown men have spent the game roaring curses and berating the referee.
    This kind of stuff is an issue across a lot of codes at lower and younger levels than LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

If you assemble a crowd, the law of averages says there'll be a few cavemen in it.

I've been to U12 girls GAA blitzs in county grounds where grown men have spent the game roaring curses and berating the referee.
    This kind of stuff is an issue across a lot of codes at lower and younger levels than LOI.

Not debating that, point is you're going to hear/notice them in a smaller crowd than a bigger one.

Let's be honest, the non support for the League here has little to do with the crowd, or even the quality. People who have never been to a game here to know of either might still prefer Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Armstrong Okoflex on the Celtic bench today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Armstrong Okoflex on the Celtic bench today
    Isn’t he eligible for England too?! Think he has switched back and forth. Wonder what his connection is with us.

Edit: Had a look and was born here. Played for St Kevin’s and then joined Arsenal when he was 11 so must have lived in England since then. Both parents are Nigerian. Article I read mentioned that he felt a bigger connection to us. Had heard of him before and didn’t realise he was born here and spent so long living in Ireland. That’s promising.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Isn’t he eligible for England too?! Think he has switched back and forth. Wonder what his connection is with us.

Irish born, played his football with St Kevin's Boys before moving to England when he was 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

He was born in Dublin, but looks like is choosing England. On his twitter page, he has a pic of himself lining out for England as his header photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

[QUOTE=Redo91;109447777Wonder what his connection is with us.[/QUOTE]

One of the Caherciveen Okoflexes:P

Stevecw wrote: »

He was born in Dublin, but looks like is choosing England. On his twitter page, he has a pic of himself lining out for England as his header photo.
    Jesus that’s bad form. Surely if he is born here and has spent more of his life living here then it’s a no brainier. He just lived in England for a few years. With both his parents being Nigerian I could completely understand if he went for them but he has no links with England.

Being born here to Nigerian parents would mean he has zero ties to here really though. African immigrants aren't exactly welcomed with open arms in this country to put it mildly so you wouldn't be surprised if he had no love for the place at all.
    Not sure on the England ties but he'll probably end up playing for Nigeria if his career doesn't pan out.

Being born here to Nigerian parents would mean he has zero ties to here really though. African immigrants aren't exactly welcomed with open arms in this country to put it mildly so you wouldn't be surprised if he had no love for the place at all.
    Not sure on the England ties but he'll probably end up playing for Nigeria if his career doesn't pan out.
    Surely he’d have more of a connection with us than England though? Would just seem very strange to pick them over us when he has just lived there for 5 years and qualifies on that basis.

Surely he’d have more of a connection with us than England though? Would just seem very strange to pick them over us when he has just lived there for 5 years and qualifies on that basis.

It would depend massively on what his experience of those early years here were and how they compared to life in England. Plus he's a good prospect so he'll have agents in his ear, same as what turned Rice, so if he is good enough you'd see him choosing England over Nigeria despite no solid ties to the country.

Stevecw wrote: »

It's weird though because the lad is so highly rated and honestly believe he could be a senior squad member in no time for Celtic but he's yet to play a competitive game for England at any level and hasn't played underage with them since first week in September 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Already answered

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

It would depend massively on what his experience of those early years here were and how they compared to life in England. Plus he's a good prospect so he'll have agents in his ear, same as what turned Rice, so if he is good enough you'd see him choosing England over Nigeria despite no solid ties to the country.
    To be fair it’s completely different to Rice though.

1) Rice was born and raised in England. He was born and raised in Ireland; and

2) Rice’s only connection to his Ireland. As above for AO.

No doubt if he’s highly rated England will be on to him alright. Even though he is way less proven I would be more annoyed about him choosing England than Rice. We had no real claim in comparison to England for Rice whereas the opposite is the case for AO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Have to say this is absolute nonsense. Went to school with and know lots of lads born in different countries around Africa and while they would all be in touch with their roots they’d have accents the same as me or you and would consider themselves and be proud to be Irish as well.

Have to say this is absolute nonsense. Went to school with and know lots of lads born in different countries around Africa and while they would all be in touch with their roots they’d have accents the same as me or you and would consider themselves and be proud to be Irish as well.

Maybe different for different areas but from what I've seen, African immigrants being integrated into Ireland is almost non existent. Maybe some of that is by design, but a lot of it is because a huge amount of people don't want them here. Maybe it's not as common as I think but I could see where a young African lad doesn't want any part of this country (same for our other recent imports too, to a lesser extent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I would find it unbelievable to think immigrants get a harder time here than in England. The only thing in England’s favour would be the larger support network of immigrants to associate with but they’re marginalized far worse in England

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I would find it unbelievable to think immigrants get a harder time here than in England. The only thing in England’s favour would be the larger support network of immigrants to associate with but they’re marginalized far worse in England

It probably is nearly as bad, that's why I'd imagine it'll be England for the £££ or Nigeria for the heritage. If, and it's a big if, he ever turns out to be anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This guy's schooling, at least on a significant level, has been in England though. Big difference to your school mates. Even by the time I had only reached 14/15, primary schooling seemed like a lifetime away for me. That (secondary school) is when generally most people develop as a person. He started taking football seriously in England, and his family have settled now in England.

I doubt his identity as "Irish" is that strong. But every case is different and we haven't a clue what he feels about national allegiance. There is no method to calculate it from an outside level.

Id day the celtic fans would be right behind his decision to choose England over Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

One of the Caherciveen Okoflexes:P

You are mixing him up with Stefan Okunbor of the Tralee Okunbor's.

Won a minor All Ireland with Kerry in 2017 but has since move to the AFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This guy's schooling, at least on a significant level, has been in England though. Big difference to your school mates. Even by the time I had only reached 14/15, primary schooling seemed like a lifetime away for me. That (secondary school) is when generally most people develop as a person. He started taking football seriously in England, and his family have settled now in England.

I doubt his identity as "Irish" is that strong. But every case is different and we haven't a clue what he feels about national allegiance. There is no method to calculate it from an outside level.

I think this is a very important point.

Who of us have any solid memory before the age of 5 so the guys memory of Ireland would be very short if he left at 11.

And who of us have any sense of identity before we are teens really.

This guy's important development years have been spent in England so I'm not that surprised he may see himself more English than Irish.

• Advertisement

looking forward to the day some super star born in England turns them down for us.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    looking forward to the day some super star born in England turns them down for us.

It's already happened though. When the one that is known as Zinedine Kilbane told the English FA "Tiocfaidh Ar La" and gave them the finger when they approached him.

It's already happened though. When the one that is known as Zinedine Kilbane told the English FA "Tiocfaidh Ar La" and gave them the finger when they approached him.

its been a while though.

i wonder who the next one will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

He said last year to the Irish Times that he feels a closer connection with Ireland. So hopefully he still does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Regarding Will Keane, I don't know what I'm more concerned about... his poor goal scoring record or that Mick is attracted to a 6 foot 2 centre forward...

Please, for the love of God, my eyeballs cannot take another campaign of hoof ball.

i am concerned we are second best for will keane. he would probably play for the faroe islands if he was asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Regarding Will Keane, I don't know what I'm more concerned about... his poor goal scoring record or that Mick is attracted to a 6 foot 2 centre forward...

Please, for the love of God, my eyeballs cannot take another campaign of hoof ball.

People are aware that it’s going to be dreary football under McCarthy? Ipswich fans are still glad to see the back of him even though since he’s left they are bottom and adrift of the championship. And please don’t give me the “it was the best football we ever played” when he was manager 15-20 years ago. Back then we had quality players and in Niall quinn we had the best long ball target man the game’s possibly ever seen.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    People are aware that it’s going to be dreary football under McCarthy? Ipswich fans are still glad to see the back of him even though since he’s left they are bottom and adrift of the championship.

He did play dreary football. As befits a club where he was given 3 buttons to spend on transfers. They're learning the hard way that demanding that the club challenge for the play offs while playing attractive football is simply not realistic when he spent something like just over 3 million in 5 or 6 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

He did play dreary football. As befits a club where he was given 3 buttons to spend on transfers. They're learning the hard way that demanding that the club challenge for the play offs while playing attractive football is simply not realistic when he spent something like just over 3 million in 5 or 6 seasons.

I would just see it as mccarthys philosophy to play long ball.

Whatever about what Ipswich fans are learning they don’t seem to have preferred supporting the team under McCarthy.

Anyone remember McCarthy’s purchase of Stefan Maierhofer at Wolves. 2 meters tall Stefan Maierhofer.

He likes big strikers and direct play even when’s he’s got a big chequebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dots1982 wrote: »
    People are aware that it’s going to be dreary football under McCarthy? Ipswich fans are still glad to see the back of him even though since he’s left they are bottom and adrift of the championship. And please don’t give me the “it was the best football we ever played” when he was manager 15-20 years ago. Back then we had quality players and in Niall quinn we had the best long ball target man the game’s possibly ever seen.

Both of you are right. Ipswich under McCarthy were very direct and rugged. McCarthy doesn't really have a philosophy on the game, other than trying to be as competitive as possible and getting it wide and up the pitch in a straightforward fashion. He won't limit creative players or hold a team back from expressing superiority (Ireland 2002 or Sunderland 2005 / Wolves 2009) but his focus is not on any particular style.

As such, given our squad's current limitations I expect us to be very direct. We'll aim to use width as much as possible (a relative strength of the squad) and have tall athletic players up front being asked to get through a pile of work and get on the end of crosses, etc.

Those yearning for some substantial change are going to be largely disappointed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement