Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There's a difference between direct football and aimless hoofball though which we got in abundance under MON in the last 12 months.

Couldn't care less if Mick played direct football as long as it's not just aimlessly hoofing the ball forward for the sake of doing it and we've got players there supporting our target and we press them high up the pitch if we lose the ball rather than MONs ten men in our own half and hope someone like Shane Long can win the ball, chase his own knock down and press the defenders while everyone else sits back incase they counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There's a difference between direct football and aimless hoofball though which we got in abundance under MON in the last 12 months.

Couldn't care less if Mick played direct football as long as it's not just aimlessly hoofing the ball forward for the sake of doing it and we've got players there supporting our target and we press them high up the pitch if we lose the ball rather than MONs ten men in our own half and hope someone like Shane Long can win the ball, chase his own knock down and press the defenders while everyone else sits back incase they counter.

There's a difference alright. When you're losing and up against it though that difference may be hard to spot.

I think the simple truism is that people will be happy under McCarthy if we qualify and will be unhappy if we don't. Style will be considered after the fact, as it usually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

There’s not that much difference between hoofball and direct ball other the quality of the holdup play of the person you are goofing it to. It may be hard to spot over the next year when we try to go direct to will keane or Shane long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dots1982 wrote: »
    There’s not that much difference between hoofball and direct ball other the quality of the holdup play of the person you are goofing it to. It may be hard to spot over the next year when we try to go direct to will keane or Shane long.

I don't think it matters how you try and get the ball to those two. Their goalscoring record speaks for itself. There's a dramatic lack of quality in the middle of the park and up front. I hope is that McCarthy brings an aura and mindset to the table, a sense that it is possible, and the players overachieve within the context of a simple but solid tactical approach. That's all we can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This. I dont expect any drastic change to our general style of play but i do expect us to be well organised, and players to be fully aware of their positions and roles. That in itself will be a big improvement. Oh and Mick to have a bit more tactical nous than MON

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Not sure about that now. Hoofball usually derives from panicked play from players who are uncomfortable on the ball largely due to there being no coherent game plan, and who then end up launching aimless balls into the other half.

Direct style of play will always involve a strategy, where there will be runners from midfield to latch on to 2nd balls, pressing higher during this passage of play. Forcing mistakes and ALWAYS giving options for hold up players.

Have no problem Mick doing this so long as he mixes it up. O'Neill never played direct. He never had a game plan.

In general, I'll live with Mick's style as long as I can see a strategy behind it.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

In general, I'll live with Mick's style as long as I can see a strategy behind it.

The Ipswich fans couldn’t bear it but we’ll only have to for a year or year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The Ipswich fans couldn’t bear it but we’ll only have to for a year or year and a half.

Exactly. There's an end date, so we'll never reach that point. Also, given where we're coming from under the previous management and lack of players currently at our disposal (especially losing Rice) there really isn't any expectations for upcoming qualifiers.

Realistically, if we play well, with anything that resembles a plan, and finish 3rd, it's what would have been expected given our circumstances and who is in our group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'll take direct with some (any) sort of purpose than what O'Neill had them at.

• Advertisement

Not optimistic how it will go on the pitch but his last stint as manager of Ireland had it all; numerous red cards, drunk players, arrested players, Saipan, on pitch melees, last minute heartbreaking defeats, the fans booing our captain, players traveling in carriage while the FAI heads went in business, sandwiches and pizza before crucial away games.

And some great times, goals, football and memories as well but with players at a completely different level to what we can call on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,542 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'll settle for players looking like they have a clue what they should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

noodler wrote: »
    I'll settle for players looking like they have a clue what they should be doing.

So no Richard Keogh?

Bu19nvZIAAEZPJ-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Exactly. There's an end date, so we'll never reach that point. Also, given where we're coming from under the previous management and lack of players currently at our disposal (especially losing Rice) there really isn't any expectations for upcoming qualifiers.

Realistically, if we play well, with anything that resembles a plan, and finish 3rd, it's what would have been expected given our circumstances and who is in our group.

Mick was brought in to get us to Euro 2020 because some games will be in Dublin. 3rd place won't do it although there might be a way in via the Nations League if we don't finish top two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

noodler wrote: »
    Simon Cox hat trick, 15 this season.

McGeady with another ther goal last night.

10 goals and 6 assists in 20 starts for McGeady this season.

It likely would have been 11 but he gave a penalty up to Will Grigg to open his account the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice interview here with Bayern youngster Ryan Johansson who explains why he chose to pick Ireland.

https://punditarena.com/features/oisinmcqueirns2758/greenlight-ryan-johansson-heart-drawn-ireland/
    “I have a lot of family in Sweden and obviously, I grew up in Luxembourg and Luxembourg still is my home, my parents still live there. So it was a tough decision in the end to choose Ireland but I focused on two things.”

“Football wise how Ireland were doing, talking about the youth and how the first team are progressing with the manager change and then secondly it was about how I felt personally, my heart was drawn to Ireland and that’s more of a country where I feel like I am from, I’m Irish.

“I just felt that that really influenced my decision. It was unusual though to have the choice of three different countries.”

"We’d go to Ireland for around 4 or 5 weeks during the summer,” explained Johansson.

“My Mam grew up in Mullingar so we had a house there like a summer house we could visit. It was like my second home, there were friends on the street that I would play football with. My Grandparents were there, my uncle still lives there so for me it’s quite a home-y place. My Mam is obviously very close to Ireland so she was quite pleased with my decision.”

If he's referring to the mother as 'Mam' it should have never been in doubt. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Pity Ryan Nolan didn't make the bench for Inter tonight. They're cruising 3-0 at home to Rapid Vienna (4-0 on aggregate) so who knows he may have been thrown 5mins at the end for the experience. I'm sure just having been in the squad for the first leg and being in the presence of first teamers like Perisic, Nianggolan, Candreva, Handanovic, Skriniar etc will have been a good experience in itself and won't do his development any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

wadacrack wrote: »

It's a pity he won't be available for the games next month but good that we've got a creative midfielder on broad now. If Luca Connell stays committed to us and Ryan Johansson develops into a good player then we've got some pretty decent footballing midfielders to pick from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Well have to cap Luca Connell vs GB before England turn his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sin City wrote: »
    It kind of shows you how desperate we are for players if that is the case, clambering to cap a 17yo...who has played what like 3 times for Bolton.
    In fairness he has already played at u17 and u18 with Ireland.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    It kind of shows you how desperate we are for players if that is the case, clambering to cap a 17yo...who has played what like 3 times for Bolton.

As did many other players before switching, some fell away while others would be guaranteed starters for our senior team. So I'd see it as fast tracking/finding out someone is committed whose broken into the senior team at club level as a teenager or we can wait until he's 23 and hope that he hasn't switched by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Nice interview here with Bayern youngster Ryan Johansson who explains why he chose to pick Ireland.

https://punditarena.com/features/oisinmcqueirns2758/greenlight-ryan-johansson-heart-drawn-ireland/

If he's referring to the mother as 'Mam' it should have never been in doubt. :)

After all the Declan Rice interviews and antics I'm going to be a bit hesitant to rush in and believe all that I hear from players declaring.

Hopefully Ryan comes good but will wait and see what happens.

Declan Rice and Jack Grelish both played underage for Ireland
    These days it means nothing - like playing friendlies for the senior side

Cap him now and see where his allegiance lies

Adamocovic wrote: »
    After all the Declan Rice interviews and antics I'm going to be a bit hesitant to rush in and believe all that I hear from players declaring.

Hopefully Ryan comes good but will wait and see what happens.

Hes already one of ours as far as I know
    Even if he doesnt play he cant switch back as he has already played for Luxembourg

Even if he doesnt play he cant switch back as he has already played for Luxembourg

Yup now that his switch is official he's tied to us for the future which shows his commitment because the lad would have been a guaranteed starter for Luxembourg even if he didn't reach the heights that some believe he will and dropped down to a lower league.

Was watching Jonny Hayes last night playing left wing back in a 3-5-2 system for the injured Kieran Tierney v Valencia. He was excellent, could do a job for Mick in some games in the upcoming campaign.

Yep. Bring him into the squad v Gibraltar. Cap him with 90 seconds left on the clock. Put him back in the under 21 or under 19 team after that until he’s ready but he won’t be able to switch.

Tell him up front that that is our policy from now on and if he doesn’t like it show him the door and never pick him again. We need to be absolutely ruthless about this from now on. Any Irish fan that has a problem with that policy they can go support someone else as well.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yep. Bring him into the squad v Gibraltar. Cap him with 90 seconds left on the clock. Put him back in the under 21 or under 19 team after that until he’s ready but he won’t be able to switch.

Tell him up front that that is our policy from now on and if he doesn’t like it show him the door and never pick him again. We need to be absolutely ruthless about this from now on. Any Irish fan that has a problem with that policy they can go support someone else as well.

Do what Wales did
    We are no bodies stepping stone anymore

Once you play for us you have nailed your colours to the mast

Do what Wales did
    We are no bodies stepping stone anymore

Once you play for us you have nailed your colours to the mast

100 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yup now that his switch is official he's tied to us for the future which shows his commitment because the lad would have been a guaranteed starter for Luxembourg even if he didn't reach the heights that some believe he will and dropped down to a lower league.

Well that's great news! Wasn't aware.

Shows his committment too like you said, at 18 where he is now and the potential it's big decision to make. Hopefully see hims sooner rather than later lining out for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i am not buying it from danny crowley about Ireland was always the team I supported at international level

“England is a country I love because I grew up there and my friends live there. But I never owned an England kit.”

apart from the u16, u17 and u19 england kits you wore? in between playing for Ireland u16 and u17.

he obviously feels england in beyond him and if he gets a few games for Ireland he might get noticed by some premier league club and get a good move.

It's a ridiculous policy and we'd be the laughing stock of world football.

Cap players if and when they are good enough. Beginning, middle and end of the argument.

As for you telling Irish fans that they can or can't support the team, can you even name a League of Ireland club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its hard to know if its a ridiculous policy. england are playing dirty now going after players who played for us for years. just say we do cap the likes of luca o connell who must be very good if england and premier league clubs are after him at 17 years old after only playing a few games at championship level. just say he gets a few minuted against GB, and then in 2 or 3 years time man united or man city are looking to buy him, england will be livid and we will be having a right good laugh at their expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Is this Barry the Bodhrán thing a joke?

It's a ridiculous policy and we'd be the laughing stock of world football.

Cap players if and when they are good enough. Beginning, middle and end of the argument.

As for you telling Irish fans that they can or can't support the team, can you even name a League of Ireland club?
    Here listen, these lads aren’t coming over for FAI summer camps paid for by their mammys and daddy’s. If we’re going to bring over these young players and give them the benefit of international experience and help to develop them we want to get something in return for that. This thing of them feckin off to play with England if they’re any good has to stop or the FAI need to do their utmost to prevent it happening. Wake up.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its hard to know if its a ridiculous policy. england are playing dirty now going after players who played for us for years. just say we do cap the likes of luca o connell who must be very good if england and premier league clubs are after him at 17 years old after only playing a few games at championship level. just say he gets a few minuted against GB, and then in 2 or 3 years time man united or man city are looking to buy him, england will be livid and we will be having a right good laugh at their expense.

It's ridiculous if you're gonna cap a lad in the last 90 seconds and then tell him back to the 19s now for another few years. If you're capping a player it should be on merit and especially if the lad is a teenager and playing first team football it's best to fast track them into the senior squad.

If Luca Connell goes straight back into the first team at Bolton when he comes back from injury and stays there for the rest of the season then should be brought into the senior squad for the training camp in May and games in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah it is a very tricky one to know where to stand on it and what approach we should take. Luca Connell is probably a good example, do we call him up now based on potential and 2 or 3 games for Bolton in the Championship? If we do that, how do lads like Browne, Hourihane, Williams, Towell or whoever feel when they are the ones who miss out despite performing better and more consistently at that level?

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of trapping young lad before they realise their potential, there are benefits to it of course but it is hard to quantify the negatives. I wouldn't be calling Connell up for the qualifiers next month though, maybe for the training camp in May.

Yeah it is a very tricky one to know where to stand on it and what approach we should take. Luca Connell is probably a good example, do we call him up now based on potential and 2 or 3 games for Bolton in the Championship? If we do that, how do lads like Browne, Hourihane, Williams, Towell or whoever feel when they are the ones who miss out despite performing better and more consistently at that level?

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of trapping young lad before they realise their potential, there are benefits to it of course but it is hard to quantify the negatives. I wouldn't be calling Connell up for the qualifiers next month though, maybe for the training camp in May.

Browne, Hourihane and Towell would be different types of midfielders to Connell whose primary position is actually left back too. Browne and Hourihane to me are best played in a three man midfield as the attacking midfielder of the three. Connell was playing as one of the holding midfielders in a three man midfield for Bolton in the league and played LB and LWB in the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ethan Ampadu was 17 when he played for Wales against Ireland in the nations league, he played 4 times for Chelsea last year according to Wikipedia, 3 of those in the league cup. there's nothing wrong with putting out a 17 year old if they're worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

Cap them. and worry about the consequences later

Thats what Wales have done

Cap them. and worry about the consequences later

Thats what Wales have done

It's actually not. They've pretty much done exactly the opposite. They capped him because he was good enough.

He was called into a few squads before he was capped, and he was first capped in a friendly.

And he was considered good enough to be capped, they kept him on the senior team. They didn't cap him for 90 seconds just to tie him up and send him back off to the under 18s.

It's actually not. They've pretty much done exactly the opposite. They capped him because he was good enough.

He was called into a few squads before he was capped, and he was first capped in a friendly.

And he was considered good enough to be capped, they kept him on the senior team. They didn't cap him for 90 seconds just to tie him up and send him back off to the under 18s.

My point still stands
    If he is showing potential cap him
    Tie him to us so we dont have to go through the Rice/ Grealish will he wont he farce again

My point still stands

But the analogy was wrong.

It was not an example of capping a player just to tie him down and then fire him out to the underage team. It was an example of capping a player who was good enough to play international football, as evidenced by him retaining his place.

But the analogy was wrong.

It was not an example of capping a player just to tie him down and then fire him out to the underage team. It was an example of capping a player who was good enough to play international football, as evidenced by him retaining his place.

Analogy may not have been accurate but thats besides the point
    If he has the potential to make the squad why not tie him down
    give him a chance with the senior squad in a game we have one tie him to us and then develop him as an international player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Johnny Hayes has had a couple of very good games recently as a make shift left back. An option perhaps?

• Advertisement

Johnny Hayes has had a couple of very good games recently as a make shift left back. An option perhaps?

Definitely he was very good as a lwb last night v Valencia. A useful player to have in the squad

Analogy may not have been accurate but thats besides the point
    If he has the potential to make the squad why not tie him down
    give him a chance with the senior squad in a game we have one tie him to us and then develop him as an international player

Conor wants us to develop him for the England team

Conor wants us to develop him for the England team

Yes, that was exactly the point.

Good man.

Analogy may not have been accurate

Not accurate?

It supports the opposite argument. The argument for only bringing them in if they are good enough, giving them a squad number a few times, then bring them on in a friendly, judge if they are up to it, play them in a competitive game when they are, then keep them if they are.

Yes, that was exactly the point.

Good man.

All joking aside I get your point but we need to get any player that showing the slightest bit of potential on board with no chance of switching
    Itll help us have decent players to choose from and put the kybosh on any player using us as a stepping stone to a bigger nation

Once you accept the call up you should be tied to that nation
    But seeing as that is not enforcable we should try and tie them down to us by playing them asap

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement