Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Not accurate?

It supports the opposite argument. The argument for only bringing them in if they are good enough, giving them a squad number a few times, then bring them on in a friendly, judge if they are up to it, play them in a competitive game when they are, then keep them if they are.

I get what your saying
    But the danger is them when they become good enough we will lose them

Im not saying pick some guy who is useless im saying someone who is showing potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

It's ridiculous if you're gonna cap a lad in the last 90 seconds and then tell him back to the 19s now for another few years. If you're capping a player it should be on merit and especially if the lad is a teenager and playing first team football it's best to fast track them into the senior squad.

If Luca Connell goes straight back into the first team at Bolton when he comes back from injury and stays there for the rest of the season then should be brought into the senior squad for the training camp in May and games in June.

Thats the kind of fluting around that Martin O'Neill did. Cap him, theres nothing to lose. Its not even showing him any favourtism, its 2-3 ?mins at end of a game.

Hated hearing O'Neills guff about whether a player is "ready to step up". "getting a look at him in camp". Load of bollix. Some fairly sub standard players have pulled on the green shirt in last 10 years.

Cap any talented players down in handy games. best case scenario they become a key player, probable case it expands our pick, worst case scenario they dont cut it and we won't see them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The FAI could learn a lot from the Welsh FA on the matter of capping young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yes, that was exactly the point.

Good man.

But that’s what will happen. We can keep helping to develop young Connell, give him international experience at u 19 and u 21, even give him a few caps at senior level in friendlies but then he can fck off and play with England if he’s any good unless we have him tied to us.

Sin City there has it the right way around. Tie him to us ASAP and then develop him as an international player and then if he turns out to be any good he’s ours.

Not accurate?

It supports the opposite argument. The argument for only bringing them in if they are good enough, giving them a squad number a few times, then bring them on in a friendly, judge if they are up to it, play them in a competitive game when they are, then keep them if they are.

Like what we did with Rice you mean, that worked out well for us didn’t it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Thats the kind of fluting around that Martin O'Neill did. Cap him, theres nothing to lose. Its not even showing him any favourtism, its 2-3 ?mins at end of a game.

Hated hearing O'Neills guff about whether a player is "ready to step up". "getting a look at him in camp". Load of bollix. Some fairly sub standard players have pulled on the green shirt in last 10 years.

Cap any talented players down in handy games. best case scenario they become a key player, probable case it expands our pick, worst case scenario they dont cut it and we won't see them again.

Where have I said we should flute around and wait to see if they can make the step up. If Connell didn't get injured two weeks ago I'd have called him up next month to the seniors but alas he did get injured and probably only coming back when the squads being announced so would have to wait until the summer for a possible call up if he remains in the Bolton team.

I believe that any teenager playing first team football should be fast tracked to the senior team because given how small our pool of players is we can't keep lads in the underage if they're playing senior football at club level. But outside that any teenager that is tipped to have a bright future but still playing academy football should only be brought up to train unless they are ripping **** up like Aaron Connolly was at u23 level and plays in a position we are really struggling in. But also given the current u21s manager will be the next senior manager then we are currently in a position to allow players that will be hopefully going on to play senior football under Kenny to play with him at u21 for the next year and a bit before stepping up to senior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

CAP ALL THE TEENAGERS!

pjohnson wrote: »
    CAP ALL THE TEENAGERS!

Yeah. You always say that, no one else does though.

KNIDNAP ALL THE TEENAGERS!

Joseph Kony prefers this plan, it's more effective.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yeah. You always say that, no one else does though.

You use wordier terms that basically mean the exact same.

You just said "cap them ASAP and if they are good they'll be ours." I'd prefer we actually used our current best players. Not to mention that we aren't a great national team like Spain who regularly steamroll teams so can fire around caps like confetti. The amount of "easy" games we have wouldnt give us the chance to cap all these dual teens you bang on about.

Not to mention "proud Englishman" Declan Rice may have switched to England after recieving senior caps, Michael Obafemi, Ryan Johansson and Dan Crowley have all made decision they are Irish before getting any senior caps. We dont need a daft mandatory capping policy. Most of those who want to play for us can decide by themselves without charity appearances to the next Joe Lapira just incase they become good. We dont need to be a joke.

• Advertisement

You use wordier terms that basically mean the exact same.

Right so you're going to tell me what I actually mean by the words I say:pac:
    You just said "cap them ASAP and if they are good they'll be ours." I'd prefer we actually used our current best players. Not to mention that we aren't a great national team like Spain who regularly steamroll teams so can fire around caps like confetti. The amount of "easy" games we have wouldnt give us the chance to cap all these dual teens you bang on about.

Not to mention "proud Englishman" Declan Rice may have switched to England after recieving senior caps, Michael Obafemi, Ryan Johansson and Dan Crowley have all made decision they are Irish before getting any senior caps. We dont need a daft mandatory capping policy. Most of those who want to play for us can decide by themselves without charity appearances to the next Joe Lapira just incase they become good. We dont need to be a joke.

I've spelt this out to you before very clearly, but you either don't understand what I'm saying or you ignore what I'm actually saying on this and pretend I'm saying something different and then argue with me on the premise of what you say I'm saying but not what I'm actually saying.

Once again.......I am not and never did say we should "cap all teenagers". I'm saying and I said this before, if there is a player in our youth set up who is getting games in the senior team or is in the senior squad of an EPL or Championship team, then yes we should cap that player in a game like v Gibraltar away in March or at home in June and tie him to us.

Michael Obafemi was a case in point btw. He was supposed to play in a friendly senior game v N Ireland but not in a Nations League game v Denmark a few days later which would have meant he wasn't tied to us. There was some controversy around that and obviously a discussion was had and he then declared he was to commit to Ireland and instead was available to play v Denmark thereby closing down the options that were available to him to switch to England or Nigeria at a later date instead. He came on as a sub in the second half v Denmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Wasn’t there already a debate on this that went on for 20something pages? Wasn’t it very tedious?

Some people want token caps for all prospects with dual nationality, some want caps for the best players to play the game that day. Can’t we just leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I've spelt this out to you before very clearly, but you either don't understand what I'm saying or you ignore what I'm actually saying on this and pretend I'm saying something different and then argue with me on the premise of what you say I'm saying but not what I'm actually saying.

Once again.......I am not and never did say we should "cap all teenagers". I'm saying and I said this before, if there is a player in our youth set up who is getting games in the senior team or is in the senior squad of an EPL or Championship team, then yes we should cap that player in a game like v Gibraltar away in March or at home in June and tie him to us.

Michael Obafemi was a case in point btw. He was supposed to play in a friendly senior game v N Ireland but not in a Nations League game v Denmark a few days later which would have meant he wasn't tied to us. There was some controversy around that and obviously a discussion was had and he then declared he was to commit to Ireland and instead was available to play v Denmark thereby closing down the options that were available to him to switch to England or Nigeria at a later date instead. He came on as a sub in the second half v Denmark.

Mick will be tougher in the decison regard than MON and his 'let him discuss it with his family' way of dealing with it and not capping the players

Rice is gone and we will have too suffer years of what could of been when were watching him at Euros and World Cup finals in White. Do we want to add to that list ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Just to make us all feel better Rice gets man of the match tonight.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Mick will be tougher in the decison regard than MON and his 'let him discuss it with his family' way of dealing with it and not capping the players

Rice is gone and we will have too suffer years of what could of been when were watching him at Euros and World Cup finals in White. Do we want to add to that list ??

There seems to be one or two posters around here who do, or at the very least who don't want the FAI and the Irish team management to try to prevent it happening.

They seem to be afraid that it will make us look like "a joke" in front of other teams like we should give a damn what anyone else thinks about us. Doing nothing about this situation and not recognising that the landscape has changed re players with options to play for multiple international sides which they appear to be inexplicably arguing for; now that would be a joke.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Wasn’t there already a debate on this that went on for 20something pages? Wasn’t it very tedious?

Some people want token caps for all prospects with dual nationality, some want caps for the best players to play the game that day. Can’t we just leave it at that.

It's very tedious when other posters either misunderstand or deliberately misrepresent what you're saying just so they can continue arguing.

There seems to be one or two posters around here who do, or at the very least who don't want the FAI and the Irish team management to try to prevent it happening.

They seem to be afraid that it will make us look like "a joke" in front of other teams like we should give a damn what anyone else thinks about us. Doing nothing about this situation and not recognising that the landscape has changed re players with options to play for multiple international sides which they appear to be inexplicably arguing for; now that would be a joke.

Wales and Giggs did it even preventing a player that could of played for us

Simple question when calling up a dual youngster to the senior squad 'Are you 100% commited too Ireland ???'. Anything other yes and say no thanks c ya later

We have to be tough on this and not tip toe around it

Simple question when calling up a dual youngster to the senior squad 'Are you 100% commited too Ireland ???'. Anything other yes and say no thanks c ya later

Yes. We need a clear policy on this that we will cap players in competitive games where and when it suits us and any young player with options to switch to another country should be made aware of that policy.

It'll be above board and if they decline to accept that policy and want to keep their options open, then show them the door.

So you cite two games against Gibraltar.

Gavin Bazunu
    Kieran O'Hara
    Dan Crowley
    Ryan Johansson
    Armstrong-Okoflex
    Ahearne-Grant

Thats the 6 subs sorted. Lets hope no more dual national teens appear!

• Advertisement

So you cite two games against Gibraltar.

Gavin Bazunu
    Kieran O'Hara
    Dan Crowley
    Ryan Johansson
    Armstrong-Okoflex
    Ahearne-Grant

Thats the 6 subs sorted. Lets hope no more dual national teens appear!

You don't have to "cap all teenagers", you pick the best ones. One or two in each game v Gibraltar. Yeah, you're getting the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Aren't Johansson and Crowley already "locked in" so to speak, once their paperwork goes through so that's two off the list that need to be cap tied :-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Rice would have given an emphatic yes so its pointless

Rice would have given an emphatic yes so its pointless

Should of asked him more serious questions then

He prob secretly knew the rule of playing friendlies and not being tied too us. Meeting Mon and Roy prob had a huge choice in his decision

You don't have to "cap all teenagers", you pick the best ones. One or two in each game v Gibraltar. Yeah, you're getting the picture.

But what if we end up with another Rice situation? What if we end up capping a "bad" one not a "good" one? Then your whole policy is undermined :O

He prob secretly knew the rule of playing friendlies and not being tied too us. Meeting Mon and Roy prob had a huge choice in his decision

Decision to identify as a "proud Englishman" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Who knows if he really is a proud english man. He may have said that so the english fans would welcome him to the fold without questioning why he didnt jump ship sooner. Hes a proud money man is our declan. Better off without the likes of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He's gone, shouldn't even bother mentioning him at this stage (the media still blathering on too). Show a bit more decorum than the northies ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

henke wrote: »
    Aren't Johansson and Crowley already "locked in" so to speak, once their paperwork goes through so that's two off the list that need to be cap tied :-).

Yes, by using their last "switch card", they are tied to Ireland by default, even if they never don the green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sean Maguire on the scoresheet for Preston. They're 3-0 up away to Millwall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

O'Dowda with a goal as well, seems to be having a good season at Bristol.
    Possible future internationals Bamford and Keane also scored

• Advertisement

Callum O'Dowda and Will Keane on the scoresheet as well

https://twitter.com/robinoverhere1/status/1099333112431955968

Not the best video quality but quality goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGeady again for Sunderland.

11 goals and 6 assists in 21 starts now.

sugarman wrote: »
    Obafemi gone off injured again with his hamstring after only coming on at halftime.

It's becoming a worrying trend with him.

sugarman wrote: »
    Incredible goal from O'Dowda, almost Messi esque with the run. Hes turning out to be some potential. Delighted to have him on board.

I have always been a big fan of O' Dowda, ever since his debut for ireland, a creative player we are so short of at the moment. hes definitely good enough to be playing in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What questions, who should have asked them? Nobody but nobody was questioning his loyalty until he drooped his bombshell

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-ireland-son-josh-stoke-2546266

I know his dad had issues playing for Ireland and his son was born and reared in England but its kind of crazy that stephen would play for england while his son chooses to play for england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Less of that bloodline the better anyway. I'd say his Da is pushing him towards England as hard as he can.

I remember reading years ago that England tried to get stephen to play for them before he played for Ireland.

Dan Crowley with a decisive goal for Willem II as they beat AZ Alkmaar 2-1. That's 5 goals and 6 assists in the Eredivisie this season. They're playing the same opposition this Thursday in the semi-final of the Dutch Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Dan Crowley with a decisive goal for Willem II as they beat AZ Alkmaar 2-1. That's 5 goals and 6 assists in the Eredivisie this season. They're playing the same opposition this Thursday in the semi-final of the Dutch Cup.

He's on form with them, great to see. I'd have him the the squad for these games in March for sure.
    Obafemi gone again for a couple of months it seems is not great news, we have to dip into league 1/2 or dare I say it LOI for a striker. Collins Luton I hear they are watching, even Amond from Newport might be worth a shot for these games. A man in form, a late developer scored v Leicester, M'boro and Man City!

Stevecw wrote: »
    He's on form with them, great to see. I'd have him the the squad for these games in March for sure.
    Obafemi gone again for a couple of months it seems is not great news, we have to dip into league 1/2 or dare I say it LOI for a striker. Collins Luton I hear they are watching, even Amond from Newport might be worth a shot for these games. A man in form, a late developer scored v Leicester, M'boro and Man City!

Crowley won't have his switch done in time for the games in March so not available until June's games. Also don't think Mick would have picked him or Obafemi if he didn't get injured, both players are 22 and 18 though so should play a massive part in the next managers plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

No sign of Connolly making the Luton squad yet since his loan move from Brighton. Is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

any word on when the squad is going to be announced for next month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

brilou23 wrote: »
    No sign of Connolly making the Luton squad yet since his loan move from Brighton. Is he injured?

Yeah he picked up an injury around the start of the new year, no idea when he is back. Saw somewhere the squad is announced on March 6th.

Yeah was baffled when Brighton announced Connolly was going out on loan only two weeks after being stretchered off with his hamstring, week before that he also came off early with hamstring issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

any word on when the squad is going to be announced for next month?

Squad announcement next week. Not sure exact day. Midweek I imagine to confirm any injuries from previous weekend's matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

pgj2015 wrote: »
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-ireland-son-josh-stoke-2546266

I know his dad had issues playing for Ireland and his son was born and reared in England but its kind of crazy that stephen would play for england while his son chooses to play for england.
    Stephen's wife is Irish, Cork through and through. I am guessing that the sprog might even be Irish born given that Jessica was probably a minor when he was born.

Stephen is that bitter though, I bet when Josh got called up by both Ireland and England, he took great pleasure in having his son turn us down.

never knew that, i always thought his wife was English.

• Advertisement

Stephen's wife is Irish, Cork through and through. I am guessing that the sprog might even be Irish born given that Jessica was probably a minor when he was born.

She's not his mother.

Stephen is that bitter though, I bet when Josh got called up by both Ireland and England, he took great pleasure in having his son turn us down.

Who says the FAI have even talked with him or even knew that Ireland's kid played football seeing as the FAI only first heard of Armstrong Okoflex after he was called up and played with England first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement