Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    It's Gibraltar. I fancy Luca's chances against a part time footballer who plies his trade as an electrician by day.

Georgia under O'Neill were allowed to play and impose themselves on us. They have their technical proficiencies but they are not a great team. I fully expect a Mick team to beat them comprehensively, not necessarily from a goal perspective, but unlike O'Neill's Ireland, we won't be made look like the away team at the Aviva. O'Neill should be ashamed of how he had us set up and playing against Georgia.

This attitude of bigging up poor teams, for no good reason, does ourselves no favours.

Lincoln Red Imps 1 - Celtic 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

As much as we would all like it to happen it just wont. Will be very few shocks in the team selection, if any.

Realistically, how many shocks could there be?

Lincoln Red Imps 1 - Celtic 0

The Scottish League shouldn't be a barometer for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The Irish team is pretty poor to say the least, worst team we have had in 40 years. hopefully mick can sort that out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Lincoln Red Imps don't play in the Scottish league ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyone that thinks Georgia is an ideal opponent to risk blooding in or trying out new players.......really needs to revise their thinking. And better or equal class teams to us, like Serbia, Austria, Wales, even Germany have struggled against them in the last few years

It's Gibraltar. I fancy Luca's chances against a part time footballer who plies his trade as an electrician by day.

Georgia under O'Neill were allowed to play and impose themselves on us. They have their technical proficiencies but they are not a great team. I fully expect a Mick team to beat them comprehensively, not necessarily from a goal perspective, but unlike O'Neill's Ireland, we won't be made look like the away team at the Aviva. O'Neill should be ashamed of how he had us set up and playing against Georgia.

This attitude of bigging up poor teams, for no good reason, does ourselves no favours.

Georgia rarely get beaten by anyone comprehensively, never mind us. A two goals cushion victory against them by most teams would be deemed a good result these days. Most of their defeats are by the odd goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anything but a win in Gibraltar will be a ****ing disaster

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anything but a win in Gibraltar will be a ****ing disaster

Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The Irish team is pretty poor to say the least, worst team we have had in 40 years. hopefully mick can sort that out though.

Maybe but either way qualifying for Euros needs to be target especially with increased numbers of team in it since the last one.

Didn't we beat Gibraltar 11-0 in Euro qualifiers last time out? Anything less than 2 wins would be very poor return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Eod100 wrote: »
    Maybe but either way qualifying for Euros needs to be target especially with increased numbers of team in it since the last one.

Didn't we beat Gibraltar 11-0 in Euro qualifiers last time out? Anything less than 2 wins would be very poor return.

If you mean 11-0 over the 2 games then yes it was 4-0 away and 7-0 at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

in 2016 Scotland, Denmark, Bosnia and Holland didnt qualify for the finals. So in 2020 bigger nations will miss out again only 24 teams (with 1 been a tier 4 nation) can qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I think the poster who said a comprehensive win against Georgia meant he expected us to win the game without defending for our lives at the 18 yard box and hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch to defend another onslaught. Rinse and repeat all game long like we did under MON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A decent performance would be #1 for me. I don't care if it's direct or defensive, just something that's not completely aimless.

mada82 wrote: »
    I think the poster who said a comprehensive win against Georgia meant he expected us to win the game without defending for our lives at the 18 yard box and hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch to defend another onslaught. Rinse and repeat all game long like we did under MON

Pretty much. Nobody doubts Georgia have a bit about them. And that bit about them looks world beating when you sit back and allow them play.

Mick won't allow the same scenario unfold that MON did. And like most teams of Georgia's level, when you put them under pressure in the final third, the cracks will show fairly quickly and continuously.

eire4 wrote: »
    If you mean 11-0 over the 2 games then yes it was 4-0 away and 7-0 at home.

I did yup

PTH2009 wrote: »
    in 2016 Scotland, Denmark, Bosnia and Holland didnt qualify for the finals. So in 2020 bigger nations will miss out again only 24 teams (with 1 been a tier 4 nation) can qualify

Meant since 2016 that 24 teams can qualify. Was 16 in 2012.

Yeah didn't we knock out Bosnia in play-offs? Denmark knocked out by Sweden. Scotland and Netherlands didn't get out of their groups.

No doubt big teams will miss out but think Ireland qualifying for Euros has to be the aim.

Meant since 2016 that 24 teams can qualify. Was 16 in 2012.

Yeah didn't we knock out Bosnia in play-offs? Denmark knocked out by Sweden. Scotland and Netherlands didn't get out of their groups.

No doubt big teams will miss out but think Ireland qualifying for Euros has to be the aim.

What other aim would there be?!

It is somewhat against the odds, imo, , that we will, though

What other aim would there be?!

It is somewhat against the odds, imo, , that we will, though

My replies were to the post that said we had the worst Irish team in 40 years.

We have the team we have, need to make the most of it and qualifying is the aim irrespective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/ireland-u18-reid-promoted-to-head-coach-role

Andy Reid promoted to head coach with the u18s. Jim Crawford did great work with the u18s and is now part of the u21 set up.

Andy Reid promoted to head coach with the u18s. Jim Crawford did great work with the u18s and is now part of the u21 set up.

Have they also hired someone to take over from him in a year's time. Need to plan ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Have they also hired someone to take over from him in a year's time. Need to plan ahead.
    I assume the plan is for Crawford to take over from Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Some stat here. The two Cork fellas Hourihane and Browne are the top scoring midfielders in the Championship since 2017.

https://twitter.com/heartoftheholte/status/1103349568035532800?s=21

Some stat here. The two Cork fellas Hourihane and Browne are the top scoring midfielders in the Championship since 2017.

https://twitter.com/heartoftheholte/status/1103349568035532800?s=21

More than most if not all our strikers in that time..

Squad out some sometime today then?

• Advertisement

Squad out some sometime today then?

Midday. Although Derby jumped the gun to reveal Keogh's inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Glenn Whelan. Fair play to him

Amond and Collins in. Robinson out. Not sure is it that changed bar that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Amond and Collins in. Robinson out. Not sure is it that changed bar that

I think Robinson is injured, may have went back training this week.

38 man squad seems excessive, couple of lads there who are really struggling for game time at club level like Meyler, Ward, Hogan, McCarthy.

Happy for Amond to receive a call up but realistically he won't be the answer to our goalscoring problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

This preliminary squad thing is a load of crap. Just have the stones to name 23 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Was Whelan not given the captaincy against NI as it was his last game?? Pointless picking him and McGeady. Was excited to see Mick come back. Hopefully they are jettisoned when the actual squad is picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was Whelan not given the captaincy against NI as it was his last game?? Pointless picking him and McGeady. Was excited to see Mick come back. Hopefully they are jettisoned when the actual squad is picked.

He was, seems a bit bizarre now alright. In fairness to him though he is playing regularly for Villa in centre midfield, it seems like most players who are performing regularly at that level have been called up (Towell is one who is missing though). McGeady probably deserves a call up with the form he is in for Sunderland.

If I was to pick my final 23 based on that I'd go with
    GK: Randolph, Westwood, O'Hara
    DF: Coleman, Doherty, Christie, Stevens, Duffy, Egan, Keogh, Long
    MF: Hendrick, Arter, Williams, Browne, Brady, McClean, O'Dowda, Hourihane
    FW: Long, Maguire, McGoldrick, Collins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unless and until he started doing things you disagreed with? Whelan and McGeady are experienced international players in great form for their clubs and at positions where we have a complete absence of premiership options.

I'm excited to see McCarthy back because I know he's a pragmatic positive individual who will do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win and doesn't give a **** what the media or those outside the tent have to say. Exactly what we need.

I look forward to you cribbing throughout another managerial appointment in succession though lad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sugarman wrote: »
    MON retired him, Whelan always maintained he was never retiring and would never turn down a call up should he be needed in the future.

Ive absolutely no problem with Whelan being there, its not as if hes taking someone elses space in the squad. Hes been fantastic this season, and a game changer for Villa on more than one occasion in recent weeks. If anything Id be questioning the inclusion of Meyler rather than Whelan. He dropped down a division and still cant get a game!

McGeady has to be there on current form, again its not like we're swamped with natural wingers either. He can play left or right no bother.

If anti-football, pro-plodder O'Neill retires you and your main (only) attribute is plodding then the game is up.

McGeady had played well for periods at Prem, Championship and now Lge 1 level. He's been poison for Ireland through all of these periods.

I think Robinson is injured, may have went back training this week.

38 man squad seems excessive, couple of lads there who are really struggling for game time at club level like Meyler, Ward, Hogan, McCarthy.

Happy for Amond to receive a call up but realistically he won't be the answer to our goalscoring problems.

Yeah looks like Robinson is due to be back with Preston fairly soon. Presume he can always be brought back in if it comes to it but the matches this month might be a bit soon for him

Anyone significant miss out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Would definitely have Greg Cunningham in ahead of Ward, is he injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

There was no reason to be excited about Mick’s appointment that I can see unless you’re a baseless optimist with unreasonable expectations.

If anti-football, pro-plodder O'Neill retires you and your main (only) attribute is plodding then the game is up.

McGeady had played well for periods at Prem, Championship and now Lge 1 level. He's been poison for Ireland through all of these periods.

McGeadya biggest problem is the likes of Preston and now Sunderland are playing to his strengths and build their attacks around him, when he comes to Ireland then he'll probably stink it out because he's expected to fit into a game plan he's not good at or doesn't play at club level.

Unless you're gonna start McGeady on the left and let him cut back inside on his stronger foot to do his thing then I see no reason to pick him. Especially then if you select him to play on the right of midfield or expect him to be an impact sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dots1982 wrote: »
    There was no reason to be excited about Mick’s appointment that I can see unless you’re a baseless optimist with unreasonable expectations.

The playing pool is roughly the same it was two year's ago. That's the bottom line. Whelan and McGeady deserving a place in the panel (and they do indeed deserve a place) tells you all you need to know.

But they'll go out there and they'll give it their all so it's time to get behind the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Any ideas what formation we will play ? Retro 4 - 4 - 2 . Give it a lash .

We haven't even got anyone significant to choose in the first place. My biggest gripe is it's another ridiculous 38 man squad, containing names of lads who have no business being there and naming five keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah now weldon no need to pretend. You're among friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Exactly. There won't be any major changes under McCarthy. People have this delusional thinking that Mick is Barnsleys answer to Pep. Possibly because he's the last manager to get us to a World Cup.

It'll be more of the same from what we've seen under the last few managers. No passing it around in defence, no pass from GK - CB, route one all the way.

The only difference is the players might be a bit more enthusiastic like they were at the start of MONs reign as opposed to how they were at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Predictable squad no need for the extended squad.
    On a side note have rte got rid of the comments sections on the website used be good banter.

Exactly. There won't be any major changes under McCarthy. People have this delusional thinking that Mick is Barnsleys answer to Pep. Possibly because he's the last manager to get us to a World Cup.

It'll be more of the same from what we've seen under the last few managers. No passing it around in defence, no pass from GK - CB, route one all the way.

The only difference is the players might be a bit more enthusiastic like they were at the start of MONs reign as opposed to how they were at the end.

I don’t think people think mick is barnsley’s Pep, I just think there’s always huge expectations from some Irish fans no matter who the manager is. These people need to sit down and go through the squad and realize bar 1 or 2 none of these players ever really achieved much in their careers up to now.

Was McCarthy asked about Dan Crowley. O’neill Picked Wes. I don’t see any opportunity for this squad to play anything other than aimless long ball and we haven’t the “big lad upfront” for long ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I don’t think people think mick is barnsley’s Pep, I just think there’s always huge expectations from some Irish fans no matter who the manager is. These people need to sit down and go through the squad and realize bar 1 or 2 none of these players ever really achieved much in their careers up to now.

Was McCarthy asked about Dan Crowley. O’neill Picked Wes. I don’t see any opportunity for this squad to play anything other than aimless long ball and we haven’t the “big lad upfront” for long ball

Crowley's papers haven't gone through yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think Dan Crowley is still waiting for his transfer to play for ireland to come through? So doubt he would be illegible.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I think Dan Crowley is still waiting for his transfer to play for ireland to come through? So doubt he would be illegible.

We served them Rice quick fast and he’s actually played for us. Bit annoying that he’s still not eligible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement