Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    It is a pointless. Keep it to 30 tops.

Off the bat..

Meyler, Ward and Hogan shouldnt be there, they've played very little football this season and havent warranted selection.

McCarthy shouldnt be there, hasnt kicked a ball in over a year bar some reserve action in recent weeks. No way he can be fully fit.

Christie, out of favour at his club and just not needed with Coleman and Doherty available.

5 keepers is stupid, especially in this instance as Kelleher and Travers are probably going to be playing for the u21s on the 24th. Leaving O'Hara the only one available anyway.

Theres seven easily weeded out.

You can add Aiden O'Brien, Padraig Amond and Daryl Horgan which makes 10 and leaves you with your 23 man squad and five lads on standby incase of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Dots1982 wrote: »
    We served them Rice quick fast and he’s actually played for us. Bit annoying that he’s still not eligible

Is it up to the FA or FIFA to sort it? Seemed like he only requested it recently enough. Probably won't go through in time for the matches this month so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Bamford apparently switching. Should be available for June.

Quotes from McCarthy:
    "Not at all," said McCarthy when asked had he given up on Bamford.

"My last contact with him was on Saturday morning. I just congratulated him on his goals - the one he scored from the edge of the box was a sublime effort – and just asked him did he still want to continue to join us, and he said yes.

"If he does, it would be June, because we are not going to get [clearance] for these games. I’ve made that clear to him and I’m hoping to see him asap.

"I asked him the question. Do you still want to join us? Yes was the answer."

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Very frustrating for everybody to have to sit in limbo before Kenny is appointed .

henke wrote: »
    Bamford apparently switching. Should be available for June.

Quotes from McCarthy:

You'd think FIFA could fasttrack clearences with qualifiers coming up.

Rice must have got his paperwork in ahead of time if it's processed so quickly.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    You'd think FIFA could fasttrack clearences with qualifiers coming up.

Rice must have got his paperwork in ahead of time if it's processed so quickly.

Yeah, I am not sure. Crowley's transfer is apparently not complete yet either. I don't know why all this business wasn't done a month or two back. In Rice's case you would hope favouritism isn't been shown in pushing through a transfer to a bigger nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Yeah, I am not sure. Crowley's transfer is apparently not complete yet either. I don't know why all this business wasn't done a month or two back. In Rice's case you would hope favouritism isn't been shown in pushing through a transfer to a bigger nation.

You would hope but I would not be in the least bit surprised if it was though. Either way Crowley will need some time I would think to bed himself into the Irish squad. It is not like we are being prevented from playing some big time sure thing who could walk right into our team and dominate.

eire4 wrote: »
    You would hope but I would not be in the least bit surprised if it was though. Either way Crowley will need some time I would think to bed himself into the Irish squad. It is not like we are being prevented from playing some big time sure thing who could walk right into our team and dominate.

True, and Bamford is just returning from serious injury but I probably would fancy him to start for us if fit and in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully Bamford wont be getting a visit of the English training ground by Southgate in the next few weeks

add too the players pool

Hopefully he actually joins up with us, he could be a decent player for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

True, and Bamford is just returning from serious injury but I probably would fancy him to start for us if fit and in form.

Would agree with you on Bamford. Considering how thin on the ground we are with any quality never mind options up front the quicker we get him on board the better.

• Advertisement

eire4 wrote: »

Needs to work those neck muscles before he gets a game, might get a crick in his neck from staring at the ball in the sky :D

But being serious, I don't think Crowley will see much game time this campaign. Micks main job alongside possibly qualifying is to bring some stability back into the squad after the nightmare that was MONROY towards the end of their reign.

Crowley will be turning 23 just as Kenny comes on board and we play League C in the Nations League. That's when we'll probably see some fresh faces in the senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I am quite sure he(Bamford) won't be getting that call.Let's face it, he's not good enough for the Premiership let alone England. The selection of Amond is purely political - a nod of recognition for an ex League of Ireland man. It's unfair on the fellah because he has no chance of ever being picked in a first eleven and he knows this himself. So why the charade?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's not the manager's selection that's underwhelming, it's the pool of players available that's underwhelming. The proof of it will be what Mick can get out of them.

It's not the manager's selection that's underwhelming, it's the pool of players available that's underwhelming. The proof of it will be what Mick can get out of them.

It's why waiting another year and a bit and working with the youngsters was the best thing for Stephen Kenny. The pool of players isn't great and the morale is probably at an all time low, instead of walking into that environment he'll be coming into the Nations League games after Mick has improved things somewhat and hopefully by then a couple of youngsters will have come through the under age and playing senior football at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah realistically Mick is here for 12 to 18 months, his job is to get us to Euro 2020 so he will want players who can hit the ground running and players who can perform at international level. Calling up the likes of Parrott, Nolan or Idah was never really on the cards. They will be better served focusing on their club careers and letting Kenny have a look at them with the underage teams.

I don't get what all the doom and gloom is about, yes the squad is poor but that is the reality of where we are at the minute. There are no real players that were unlucky to miss out. Crowley and Bamford still waiting on the paperwork to go through. Robinson is injured. We will still have a squad of 23 players capable of getting out of the group once it is whittled down. I'm looking forward to the games against Gibraltar and Georgia and hopefully there being a bit of positivity around the team for the first time in a long time!

Yeah realistically Mick is here for 12 to 18 months, his job is to get us to Euro 2020 so he will want players who can hit the ground running and players who can perform at international level. Calling up the likes of Parrott, Nolan or Idah was never really on the cards. They will be better served focusing on their club careers and letting Kenny have a look at them with the underage teams.

I don't get what all the doom and gloom is about, yes the squad is poor but that is the reality of where we are at the minute. There are no real players that were unlucky to miss out. Crowley and Bamford still waiting on the paperwork to go through. Robinson is injured. We will still have a squad of 23 players capable of getting out of the group once it is whittled down. I'm looking forward to the games against Gibraltar and Georgia and hopefully there being a bit of positivity around the team for the first time in a long time!

Most of the doom and gloom I've seen in other places is because of the fact we're still naming ridiculously large preliminary squads that are containing players like James McCarthy, Steven Ward, David Meyler and Padraig Amond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm pretty content with the squad picked. There's not a great deal of quality but it's where we are at the minute.

I'm curious to see who gets the nod up front. I reckon it will be Long because of his experience but I'd like to see him go with the Preston connection and play Maguire in front of Browne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It looks like it will be the some old failures picked yet again.
    The young lads are sure to be cut from the final panel later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Glad to see Whelan and McGeady.

Will need players who have delivered at international level before. With the state of the playing pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Worst squad in more than 40 years on paper for a competitive fixture?

Don't even think we have hit the floor yet either :(

Painful times ahead.

Hopefully in a few years we'll be seeing some sign of things getting better and some talent coming through.

Just have to accept we are where we are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

noodler wrote: »
    Glad to see Whelan and McGeady.

Will need players who have delivered at international level before. With the state of the playing pool.

DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

Performing well in competitive fixtures; scoring or creating key goals in competitive fixtures; being part of Irish sides that achieved things.

You can’t deny any of that, though you’ll try.

Does anyone know the rationale for naming these extended squads nowadays? 23 max for two games would make sense. What is the point of calling the likes of Amond to an extended squad just to cut him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Does anyone know the rationale for naming these extended squads nowadays? 23 max for two games would make sense. What is the point of calling the likes of Amond to an extended squad just to cut him?
    Theres some UEFA/FIFA law that clubs need X amount of days notice that their players are going to be called up afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Theres some UEFA/FIFA law that clubs need X amount of days notice that their players are going to be called up afaik
    Seems to be. According to Dan McDonnell every country does have large squads but we seem to be the only ones that actually announce the entire group publicly.

I don't know I think it's not necessary really. Your starting 11 won't change much much between the two games or the subs you bring on. I'd guess no more than 16 will see game time at a push and likely less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Mick is on the LLS for a few soundbytes tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If anyone has a Clip of him on tonight please share.

If anyone has a Clip of him on tonight please share.

Was just the usual soundbites as I expected. And he was speaking to a goof who has no interest or little knowledge of sport so it's not worth listening to really.
    It's on Rte player if you persist though.

• Advertisement

Another goal for Bamford today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Goal for Callum Wilson today.
    A natural goal scorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

A natural goal scorer.

He is that, here you go https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056875075/60/#post109420803

Dots1982 wrote: »

??

EDIT: Oh, I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

A natural goal scorer.

Cap him against Gibraltar :D:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Front page of tomorrow's Times Delaney getting paid an extra 160 k a year by UEFA. He heads up the youth and amateur committee. I figure they don't realise how little he's done here then...

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/st.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd love to know how to get all those out but there's not a chance is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

He's on a salary of 580k but the winners of LOI get 110k. Thats wrong no matter what way you cut it...

Weepsie wrote: »
    Front page of tomorrow's Times Delaney getting paid an extra 160 k a year by UEFA. He heads up the youth and amateur committee. I figure they don't realise how little he's done here then...

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/st.jpg

Perfect man for the role. He's had plenty of work at the amateur stuff during his time in charge here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He's on a salary of 580k but the winners of LOI get 110k. Thats wrong no matter what way you cut it...
    Sorry that’s fûcking shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

So apparently Declan Rice just got FAI young player of the year, lol.

Shouldn't have been allowed get it and just given it to whoever was 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

FAI really doing a great job in helping us move on from Rice.

Just sums them up. Lack of common sense as usual. Clowns.

So apparently Declan Rice just got FAI young player of the year, lol.

The absolute state of it! John Delaney 101

You'd think they could at least pick a current Irish international. Granted he was voted for, but surely FAI could have just said vote again? But maybe didn't want to interfere?

''The FAI noted that the award was voted on by members of the SSE Airtricity Soccer Writers' Association of Ireland and pointed out that at the time of said vote, Rice was still an Irish international.

In the statement, the FAI said this outcome "maintains the integrity of the voting process." They confirmed that Rice would not be in Dublin to collect his award.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Was it really appropriate to award this to Rice? I get we should show some maturity towards his decision BUT its a slap in the face to other real Irish lads that actually want to play for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The media did this to troll the FAI. We all knew full well that Rice was going to play for England. You do wonder why they even have a say in the voting, apart from the politics of the FAI trying to make them feel important.

Whilst I don't mind them embarrassing the FAI,they are embarrassing Irish football. The enemy of the people.

Shocking stuff. One would think a transfer of allegiance would automatically disqualify you from such awards, regardless of affiliation at time of the vote.

This is embarrassing, even for this organisation's low standards.

Our own forum's Irish Player of the Year award didn't allow Rice to be eligible precisely because of his decision switch, and yet these clowns can't figure out to do likewise for the actual Young Player award?

Utter shambles.

Isn't he getting his English call-up this week too?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement