Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hopefully we show a bit of a spine this time around and tell him that's the chance gone.

I would love to see him play, I rate him, but I think we needed to make ourselves relatively vocal on this, ideal time to set an example on this nonsense. I would prefer to miss out in a potentially decent player right now than having this hanging over us again. Mick McCarthy isn't afraid to set a stance, we seen that before in his career so I'm a bit disappointed he didn't come out and make an example in this instance.

It may lead to other dual nationality players accepting the call up quicker. in the future.

I accept that the next couple of months are huge for Leeds as a club, failure now to be promoted this season would be bordering on a nightmare, and I also accept that Bamford has had a bit of a tough season personally but I wonder would he be concentrating on his club career if Southgate called him. That is the main point here.

In fairness, I haven't a clue what to think here! It's a clusterfu*k of emotions maybe! I am probably over reacting. In fact I think I am, when you really reflect on what Bamford has been through and how pivotal these next couple of months are for the club who pays his wages. I wish it was someone else who came out with that than Bamford as you can empathise with his decision this time. I just really would have loved for us to make a strong stance.

It is just the week that is in it with the award! I was a bit too patient with Rice and I still would have had him back but ..........oh, I haven't a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Enough is enough now.

He was offered a spot, he's decided to decline, so we move on. Should be as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I would love to see him play, I rate him, but I think we needed to make ourselves relatively vocal on this, ideal time to set an example on this nonsense. I would prefer to miss out in a potentially decent player right now than having this hanging over us again. Mick McCarthy isn't afraid to set a stance, we seen that before in his career so I'm a bit disappointed he didn't come out and make an example in this instance.

It may lead to other dual nationality players accepting the call up quicker. in the future.

I accept that the next couple of months are huge for Leeds as a club, failure now to be promoted this season would be bordering on a nightmare, and I also accept that Bamford has had a bit of a tough season personally but I wonder would he be concentrating on his club career if Southgate called him. That is the main point here.

In fairness, I haven't a clue what to think here! It's a clusterfu*k of emotions maybe! I am probably over reacting. In fact I think I am, when you really reflect on what Bamford has been through and how pivotal these next couple of months are for the club who pays his wages. I wish it was someone else who came out with that than Bamford as you can empathise with his decision this time. I just really would have loved for us to make a strong stance.

It is just the week that is in it with the award! I was a bit too patient with Rice and I still would have had him back but ..........oh, I haven't a clue!

Not a chance he'd wait if Southgate called him up. Callum Wilson is third choice striker for England right now, any striker knows a half decent season in the PL and you're in the England squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Our terrible strikers means Mick will have to play the game on Bamford’s terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Our terrible strikers means Mick will have to play the game on Bamford’s terms.

I'd rather they played with none than pander to the like of him.

But you don’t get paid to make ireland as good as possible and Bamford is a game changer for us if he declares.

But you don’t get paid to make ireland as good as possible and Bamford is a game changer for us if he declares.

We're not a club side and sometimes there are more important things. **** him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Beggers can't be choosers.
    We're not even showing enough dignity to pander to him. We're the ugly sister telling him if it doesn't work out with the good looking sister we'll be free.
    This is the chickens home to roost. Our football association has prioritised paying inflated wages to board members and "world class" senior management teams over investing in grass roots and creating a sustainable fulltime domestic league.
    It's Rice last week, Bamford now, some other lad with tenuous links next week. Get used of it.

We're not a club side and sometimes there are more important things. **** him.

The FAI and McCarthy can’t afford to not maximize every chance we have of getting to a crucial tournament. That’s the simple reality of it, like or not.

Beggers can't be choosers.
    We're not even showing enough dignity to pander to him. We're the ugly sister telling him if it doesn't work out with the good looking sister we'll be free.
    This is the chickens home to roost. Our football association has prioritised paying inflated wages to board members and "world class" senior management teams over investing in grass roots and creating a sustainable fulltime domestic league.
    It's Rice last week, Bamford now, some other lad with tenuous links next week. Get used of it.

I think I'd rather forget about it altogether than get used to being a laughing stock from bending over. There's not an ounce of Irishness in Bamford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I agree that we should tell Bamford we are no longer interested.
    He’s playing championship football he’s not exactly a world beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I hope England call him up between now and September and this charade is exposed for what it is once and for all.

We’re a laughing stock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ireland managers should only talk about players they can pick. Don't be talking to journalists about players like Bamford at all. Talk to Bamford directly.

They way Ireland are going about it creates a drama and story that does not need to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bamford couldn't have played until after the league season anyway right? Since his nationalization paperwork hasn't yet gone through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Just keep it simple....if the player qualifies to play for Ireland call them up for a competitive game. If the player shows up and plays, well and good, if the player turns down the call then put it to bed with a thanks we wont be calling a second time.

I like the way so many seem to think we have some leverage in this. We are begging these lads to play for us because they are far better than what we have. So they can screw us around as much as they like because we need them to qualify for tournaments. The idea we can make ultimatums to them is complete fantasy. The likes of Redmond and Bamford don’t care much about playing for ireland especially in early qualifiers. They might be more interested if they see us doing well and likely to qualify. That was the same for all the plastic paddies we took on in charlton’s era and McCarthy’s first stint.

I like the way so many seem to think we have some leverage in this. We are begging these lads to play for us because they are far better than what we have. So they can screw us around as much as they like because we need them to qualify for tournaments. The idea we can make ultimatums to them is complete fantasy. The likes of Redmond and Bamford don’t care much about playing for ireland especially in early qualifiers. They might be more interested if they see us doing well and likely to qualify. That was the same for all the plastic paddies we took on in charlton’s era and McCarthy’s first stint.

Thats exactly why you call them up and see how they react.

Of course the FAI have to do their homework, but that should remain private and not be shared around like a hookers knickers. Before players like the ones mentioned above become interested in playing for an FAI team the FAI have to become professional. If the FAI handle it in a professional manner its the player said no and not the FAI fcuked up....

Ridiculous attitude, I am all for trying to take advantage of the "granny rule" etc but there has to be a fine middle ground here. It will have the opposite effect. A bit of a harder stance here may get across to these players that the best thing to do id to declare early. Take a player like Bamford etc. You let them know that you have a chance now to play for us, but we need you to show some commitment, otherwise we are not interested. It may allow a player like him to look at the bigger picture and accept that taking this chance now rather than using us as a second option further down the line to play international football is probably better.

I empathise with Bamford though, he does have reasonable excuse to concentrate on his club football and maintain his recovery from some bad injuries so I wouldn't use him as the ideal player to make an example of in fairness.

If you allow players to play you around constantly, you will never set a precedent for this. I want players to play, I don't mind trying that little bit harder to convince these players but after this Rice debacle, it is plain clear we need to take a harder stance on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its as simple as this, what IRISH man would say he "wants to "concentrate on his club career for the moment" when asked to help his country qualify for a major football tournament? none is the answer.I said it before Bamford is not Irish, he just might use us if it suits him in the future, like rice and grealish did.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous attitude, I am all for trying to take advantage of the "granny rule" etc but there has to be a fine middle ground here. It will have the opposite effect. A bit of a harder stance here may get across to these players that the best thing to do id to declare early. Take a player like Bamford etc. You let them know that you have a chance now to play for us, but we need you to show some commitment, otherwise we are not interested. It may allow a player like him to look at the bigger picture and accept that taking this chance now rather than using us as a second option further down the line to play international football is probably better.

I empathise with Bamford though, he does have reasonable excuse to concentrate on his club football and maintain his recovery from some bad injuries so I wouldn't use him as the ideal player to make an example of in fairness.

If you allow players to play you around constantly, you will never set a precedent for this. I want players to play, I don't mind trying that little bit harder to convince these players but after this Rice debacle, it is plain clear we need to take a harder stance on it.

I don’t understand what you mean by showing “some commitment”. So you tell Bamford you won’t consider him unless he declares immediately and goes through the paperwork? And if he doesn’t?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its as simple as this, what IRISH man would say he "wants to "concentrate on his club career for the moment" when asked to help his country qualify for a major football tournament? none is the answer.I said it before Bamford is not Irish, he just might use us if it suits him in the future, like rice and grealish did.

Bamford is not irish and ireland are not qualifying solely through scoring Duffy headers off set pieces...

I don’t understand what you mean by showing “some commitment”. So you tell Bamford you won’t consider him unless he declares immediately and goes through the paperwork? And if he doesn’t?

Then let him wait for his own nation to call him up or never play international soccer.

Then let him wait for his own nation to call him up or never play international soccer.

Ok and then ireland go 3 years without anyone to score goals till Troy Parrott comes of age and fingers crossed fulfills his potential. That’s simply not something ireland can afford when there’s millions at stake in qualification money, ticket sales and sponsorship.

It’s all fine having big talk in discussion forums. It’s doesnt add up to dollars and cents.

Ok and then ireland go 3 years without anyone to score goals till Troy Parrott comes of age and fingers crossed fulfills his potential. That’s simply not something ireland can afford when there’s millions at stake in qualification money, ticket sales and sponsorship.

It’s all fine having big talk in discussion forums. It’s doesnt add up to dollars and cents.

All the dollars and cents are going into inept people's pockets. And anyway, sometimes it should just be worth more than that. Even if Parrott never makes it, its better than pandering to someone like this fella.

All the dollars and cents are going into inept people's pockets. And anyway, sometimes it should just be worth more than that. Even if Parrott never makes it, its better than pandering to someone like this fella.

I’m afraid it simply not true to say that. Where do you think the money for abbotstown and the AUL comes from. The money to run stuff that doesn’t make profit like underage teams or the women’s team. If Bamford declares in September and scores only one goal and we qualify for the euros it’s job well done by Mick.

• Advertisement

I couldn't have made it more clearer that I think Bamford's situation is slightly different. A fortnights rest is exactly what is needed for him after such an intensive and succesful comeback month after being out for so long and his employers would probably be justified in asking him to commit to the cause right now. There is multi millions on the line. He's not a good example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

pgj2015 wrote: »

Many I'd say.

Many realise that their club careers is what puts money in their pockets and that internationals can be an unnecessary distraction.

Patriotism is overrated.

Take a player like Bamford etc. You let them know that you have a chance now to play for us, but we need you to show some commitment, otherwise we are not interested.

You literallly said “take a player like Bamford”

Many I'd say.

Many realise that their club careers is what puts money in their pockets and that internationals can be an unnecessary distraction.

Patriotism is overrated.

It's not. It's neglected far too much though.

You literallly said “take a player like Bamford”

I mean a player that has been approached like Bamford or Redmond. I made it clear a couple of times though that I consider Bamford does have justifiable reasons for his choice. But at the same time he needs to show some sort of commitment. Some sort of definitive stance of his intentions. That doesn't mean you can't accept his decision to concentrate on club career for the next few months.

Listen Dots, I am not going to get into a battle of pedantics with you if you just want that nonsense.

• Advertisement

I’m afraid it simply not true to say that. Where do you think the money for abbotstown and the AUL comes from. The money to run stuff that doesn’t make profit like underage teams or the women’s team. If Bamford declares in September and scores only one goal and we qualify for the euros it’s job well done by Mick.

The money comes from:
    Public grants
    Lottery money
    Sponsorship
    Club fees LOI and Youth teams

Local Councils
    Blatters €5 million bribe
    International friendlies
    Ticket money....

The FAI or better said the people running it are not doing a very good job. They have done very little if anything to support nor promote the LOI (something they need to exist) and pay their employees more than many other larger associations.

Dont be fooled by the spin...Mick was put into place to keep fans happy and deflect from a certain CEO, Stephan Kenny was put in place to do the same......

The simple fact of the matter is....the FAI have to go about their business across the field in a more professional manner. Speak to players, sound them out and call them up. Dont be spouting to the papers in an attempt to sell tickets or raise profiles. At the end of the day they only upset paying fans which results in tickets sales etc. reducing. Added to that a CEO who has a combined salary of nearly 5 times the LOI prize money, fans being searched and banners being taken away if they didnt fit the agenda......says it all.

I mean a player that has been approached like Bamford or Redmond. I made it clear a couple of times though that I consider Bamford does have justifiable reasons for his choice. But at the same time he needs to show some sort of commitment. Some sort of definitive stance of his intentions. That doesn't mean you can't accept his decision to concentrate on club career for the next few months.

Listen Dots, I am not going to get into a battle of pedantics with you if you just want that nonsense.

Ah here you said “take a player like Bamford” and you now say you didn’t mean him specifically and couldn’t have made it clearer you didn’t.

It’s perfectly fair for me to think that he was your example. Anyway..

Ah here you said “take a player like Bamford” and you now say you didn’t mean him specifically and couldn’t have made it clearer you didn’t.

It’s perfectly fair for me to think that he was your example. Anyway..

He was an example because he is an example. I made it clear though that a different level/stance on commitment than a simple accept the call up or not should be expected in his instance. he has made a statement rather definitively that he wants to concentrate on his club career up to a certain date in the not so distant future, Accept this and ask him again then and if he still dilly dallies, that's it.
    I am not in the Kevin Kilbane "if you don't cry green tears, you shouldn't be in the squad" (I love kilbane and he is right on a lot btw but he goes overboard sometimes and fails to see anything beyond his own personal experience).
    I will take what we can get if they are eligible, but you need to make it clear that we won't be waiting around either once they do get called up formally.

He was an example because he is an example. I made it clear though that a different level/stance on commitment than a simple accept the call up or not should be expected in his instance. he has made a statement rather definitively that he wants to concentrate on his club career up to a certain date in the not so distant future, Accept this and ask him again then and if he still dilly dallies, that's it.
    I am not in the Kevin Kilbane "if you don't cry green tears, you shouldn't be in the squad" (I love kilbane and he is right on a lot btw but he goes overboard sometimes and fails to see anything beyond his own personal experience).
    I will take what we can get if they are eligible, but you need to make it clear that we won't be waiting around either once they do get called up formally.

We’ll see if anyone on the current management ticket agrees with your and others on this discussion’s stance. It doesn’t seem like it.

We are a laughing stock/sad case with begging players but we are no matter what we do as we have such a bad squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Stephen Ward announced his international retirement. But if a weird one? He was in preliminary squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nunu wrote: »
    Stephen Ward announced his international retirement. But if a weird one? He was in preliminary squad

But left out of the 23 even though AFAIK Enda Stevens is the only designated left-back included. (I know Brady can also play there) Likely sees that as an indication of where he stands with Mick Mac at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This whole “pursuing” of players is becoming a complete farce.

Ask them once, and if the answer isn’t a resounding yes, they shouldn’t be asked ever again. Leave them come crawling if they change their mind and want to play for us.

Yeah let him wait for his England cap sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mick doesn't hold back

"I said, 'give it to somebody who would appreciate it, not somebody who is going to be embarrassed by it or [for it to be used as] another stick to beat the FAI with.

"Because it's the journalists' award, and I just said, 'you all wanted to protect the integrity of the award,' which they gave to him in good faith. It's not the FAI award, it's been given by the journalists.

"And then, they all insisted they give it and then there's a ****storm and it's the FAI that's getting it. Well, I don't think that's right, in any shape of form.

"No, I wouldn't have given it to him. And if they couldn't give it to anybody else because he won it, don't give it to anybody. Chuck it in the Liffey."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/i-wouldnt-have-given-it-to-him-chuck-it-in-the-liffey-mick-mccarthy-has-his-say-on-declan-rice-award-37914630.html?fbclid=IwAR0Se2LgmUJRgcLCuaDNj2KIyCzmLEWbXwo_5hp3c747iG5baSCEHxb1vYA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Been a good servant to Ireland. Often on the end of ridiculous criticism even when he was playing well and one of the few Premier League regulars at the time, often because of a stupid stigma of performances quite a bit previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Ward for the most part was a solid performer in what's been a problematic position for us. I wish him well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Abbotstown money comes from the government as they own it not the FAI or from grants, for example here's how the pitches were funded
    "These six pitches have been built thanks to grants from the Irish Sports Council and Fifa, totaling €888,000, paid in 2012. They have also been made possible by a €500,000 contribution from Dublin District Schoolboys League – a sum funded by the registrations of schoolboy players, aged from six to 15, and in return for which the league will be able to use the pitches.",
    and The AUL is owned by well the AUL which is a league not just a place so no FAI money there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Bamford is playing in the championship, hes a good striker in the championship but hasnt looked like he can cut it in the premier league, he hasn't scored 1 goal in the premier league, he was a flop at norwich and crystal palace when he played for them in the premier league.

maguire and robinson are just as good as him in my opinion, its not like hes a harry kane or Antoine Griezmann kind of player. i reckon the championship is his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Among the big name absentees are Stephen Ward, Cyrus Christie and James McCarthy.

Jesus we are in a DIRE state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I for one am not being fooled by Bamford. The fact is if Gareth Southgate had called them up this week he would have been in like a shot.

He says that he'll join up in the summer with Ireland cos he wants to concentrate on his club career. Fair enough. Then put your international papers in with FIFA now. Make the irreversible switch now. What's stopping him?

This whole charade couldn't be more transparent. He's just hedging his bets.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I for one am not being fooled by Bamford. The fact is if Gareth Southgate had called them up this week he would have been in like a shot.

He says that he'll join up in the summer with Ireland cos he wants to concentrate on his club career. Fair enough. Then put your international papers in with FIFA now. Make the irreversible switch now. What's stopping him?

This whole charade couldn't be more transparent. He's just hedging his bets.

He’s not making any commitments to join in the summer or any other time. That’s no fault of Bamford, he’s not bothered about playing for ireland. He sees himself as English. He may play for ireland to try to play at a major tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

He’s not making any commitments to join in the summer or any other time. That’s no fault of Bamford, he’s not bothered about playing for ireland. He sees himself as English. He may play for ireland to try to play at a major tournament.

If he's refusing a call now purely due to club commitments, then at least start official paperwork. If not, then draw a line and tell him where to go.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    If he's refusing a call now purely due to club commitments, then at least start official paperwork. If not, then draw a line and tell him where to go.

That would be doable if keeping the integrity of the Jersey was a priority but it’s barely a consideration.

The only priority is to do whatever it takes to get him to declare.

That would be doable if keeping the integrity of the Jersey was a priority but it’s barely a consideration.

The only priority is to do whatever it takes to get him to declare.

It is if all we are is a spineless laughing stock.

It is if all we are is a spineless laughing stock.

The difference in revenue between qualifying and not qualifying is so huge that we’ll prioritize that over everything else

• Advertisement

But left out of the 23 even though AFAIK Enda Stevens is the only designated left-back included. (I know Brady can also play there) Likely sees that as an indication of where he stands with Mick Mac at this point.

Kind of raises likelihood of Doherty playing LB I reckon .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement