Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Kind of raises likelihood of Doherty playing LB I reckon .

Given Doherty can play both RB and LB it says to me he's not starting and will cover both positions from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Bamfords scoring record doesnt warrant this debate sling your hook son

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Morrison J wrote: »
    Final 23 man squad:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Mark Travers (Bournemouth)
    Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Richard Keogh (Derby County), John Egan (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United)
    Midfielders: Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Harry Arter (Cardiff City*), Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa), Robbie Brady (Burnley), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City)
    Forwards: Shane Long (Southampton), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town)*Indicates player is on loan

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mccarthy-finalises-squad-for-gibraltar-georgia-games

Looks about right only change id have made would be Mgeady in for Curtis-yes their not in same position but mgeady offers more overall

So Josh Cullen has been called up to replace Alan Browne and Kevin Long has been called up to replace Ronan Curtis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Best we can muster but hopeless.

My prediction: 4th place finish in our group behind Georgia.

• Advertisement

Best we can muster but hopeless.

My prediction: 4th place finish in our group behind Georgia.

Is this the same mighty Georga that didn't win a single game in the last qualifers or the same mighty Georga thats won 6 games out of the last 38 Euro/WC qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I believe we are now at their level in terms of quality going in to the qualifiers with the exception of Coleman, maybe Brady and Hendrick at a stretch (and they have not showed up for Ireland ability wise for 2 years). Everyone else...

We have fallen a long, long way.

I don't expect us to qualify. I don't think i'm alone.

I wouldn't be that disappointed if we don't. It's the level we are at now - mid championship team begging average English players to play for us. All a bit sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is josh cullen any good? is he another one england might try and take from us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

pgj2015 wrote: »

They wont get him if Mick gives him 30 seconds at the end of the right game.

pgj2015 wrote: »

He's 23 next month and playing league 1, won't be any fear of England wanting him or him holding out for England. He'll develop into a top championship/ bottom premier league player and do well for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I believe we are now at their level in terms of quality going in to the qualifiers with the exception of Coleman, maybe Brady and Hendrick at a stretch (and they have not showed up for Ireland ability wise for 2 years). Everyone else...

We have fallen a long, long way.

I don't expect us to qualify. I don't think i'm alone.

I wouldn't be that disappointed if we don't. It's the level we are at now - mid championship team begging average English players to play for us. All a bit sad really.

A lot of doom and gloom round here. Are we much weaker than we were when we qualified for the last Euros with MON?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I for one am not being fooled by Bamford. The fact is if Gareth Southgate had called them up this week he would have been in like a shot.

He says that he'll join up in the summer with Ireland cos he wants to concentrate on his club career. Fair enough. Then put your international papers in with FIFA now. Make the irreversible switch now. What's stopping him?

This whole charade couldn't be more transparent. He's just hedging his bets.

Is this a thing even? Can't say i've ever heard of it before. The first thing he has to do is to get Irish citizenship sorted, which I think he's in the process of. I'm just not sure that you can proactively and unequivocally commit your future to a country without being capped in a senior international competitive match. Like, I'm not sure that's a thing that's even an option.

Once you're a viable international player (as in, a citizen of the country) you then get registered and all that - but that's not irreversible. If you're all registered, and named in the matchday squad for a competitive international, but don't get any minutes on the pitch during the match, you can still go play for anyone else you like that you're elligible for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TheCitizen wrote: »
    A lot of doom and gloom round here. Are we much weaker than we were when we qualified for the last Euros with MON?

Yup.

noodler wrote: »
    Yup.

Yup? 'MON the 80's noodles:)

How much weaker are we exactly? We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Still think we have a chance to qualify with Mick, a door via the Nations League may open if we don't finish top two.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I for one am not being fooled by Bamford. The fact is if Gareth Southgate had called them up this week he would have been in like a shot.

He says that he'll join up in the summer with Ireland cos he wants to concentrate on his club career. Fair enough. Then put your international papers in with FIFA now. Make the irreversible switch now. What's stopping him?

This whole charade couldn't be more transparent. He's just hedging his bets.

He is yes. He's hoping that if Leeds get promoted and he's their main striker that he'll get noticed by England and he's just using us to get Southgate's attention and he might get a call up quicker.

Mick should send him another text message, two words only; F*ck Off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Group rates for tix in category a and b, obviously sales have been beyond abysmal

Mushy wrote: »
    Group rates for tix in category a and b, obviously sales have been beyond abysmal

Know a lot of lads who will be missing their first home games for years because nothing has changed. JD is still in place and has only papered over the problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Know a lot of lads who will be missing their first home games for years because nothing has changed. JD is still in place and has only papered over the problems

If ireland had a decent team or one world class player but JD was still around might they have found some money for tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If ireland had a decent team or one world class player but JD was still around might they have found some money for tickets?

I've re read his post three times and still can't see the bit where he said they couldn't find money for tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ha ha

Very true

I think some people might be using Delaney as an excuse for not being the die hard fans they like to portray themselves as

• Advertisement

No these lads have been going to games since the mid 80s like a religion. Not about the team or superstars, just lads who love football, the day out and the craic.....their silent protest is against JD and his jolly army.

These lads always accepted what the FAI did or failed to do. However one of them is close to the American owners of Dundalk, another more or less runs a club in the Meath and District L and a 3rd one was waiting for the parliment questions of which he contributed to, which JD dodged......they have just had enough. Want more done for the game in Ireland and less for the pockets of the FAI leaders pockets. They tried lobbying, letters.....all blocked or unanswered. Now they realise that the only way to change the FAI is to stay away. If tickets are not sold, money is not there....no money will force a change.

No these lads have been going to games since the mid 80s like a religion. Not about the team or superstars, just lads who love football, the day out and the craic.....their silent protest is against JD and his jolly army.

These lads always accepted what the FAI did or failed to do. However one of them is close to the American owners of Dundalk, another more or less runs a club in the Meath and District L and a 3rd one was waiting for the parliment questions of which he contributed to, which JD dodged......they have just had enough. Want more done for the game in Ireland and less for the pockets of the FAI leaders pockets. They tried lobbying, letters.....all blocked or unanswered. Now they realise that the only way to change the FAI is to stay away. If tickets are not sold, money is not there....no money will force a change.

At exactly the same time as the team ate s**t.

Delaney has been around for a decade at least, and everyone has known what he is like.

Why not a few years ago ?

Why now ?

Delaney has been around for a decade at least, and everyone has known what he is like.

Why now ?

I think you’re right there Tod. Sound like a bunch of fair weather fans to me. If we get to the Euros they’ll be back

They are right to be fair. A wholesale boycott of the team would force change. It would threaten to wipe out soccer in the country for a time and I’m just not sure what you would get after Delaney. Would it be someone better or cheaper?

Soccer/football is a poorly funded enterprise in this country in the shadow of the GAA. Being that way for 100 years. It will be the case after Delaney is gone. It’s not all the FAI’s fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Surprised McGeady not picked.
    Surely you need to pick those players on form?
    POM for Feb and playing better than he has in years...

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Surprised McGeady not picked.
    Surely you need to pick those players on form?
    POM for Feb and playing better than he has in years...

Unless you're will to start him and then build your game plan around him then he's a waste of a pick imo. We saw it when he was playing with Preston and playing the best football of his career in some time but when it came to international duty he was lost because he didn't fit into MONs style.

I think the fact that even Mick, whose only been brought in as a quick fix for this year so would be picking players to help him qualify rather than looking towards the future somewhat says it all that even he didn't pick McGeady.

Why now ?

Why now....a few reasons, first is the main one...

They asked questions related to the LOI and its future.

1 of them firmly believes that the FAI should be doing more for the LOI. With foreign investment in a number of clubs today he says the FAI should have stood up by now. People have to realise without the LOI you do not have a national team or an FAI.....without LOI the national team wouldnt be allowed to go to Euros or WC.

1 (a former senator) put a number of questions to a member of parliment to be put to JD related to underage football. Where and how government grants are distributed to clubs, committee terms, fans issues......claims the process is not transparent. JD consistantly has appointments so he cannot appear and in the meantime silent changes are being made within the FAI to bring it into line with privious agreements made with the government and Fifa/UEFA criteria. Most of this is related to length and age of comittee members, interaction with fans and transparancy.

The final straw came when one of the men witnessed how a young lad (approx. 22) had a banner taken away from him entering the Aviva.....his words are...the young lad was targeted by someone very close to JD, searched and his banner taken off him as it was highlighting problems fans had with the FAI. Upon asking the security himself what the problem was he was told the banner was on social media and the FAI decided that it shouldnt be in the stadium. Upon asking what the FAI had to hide he was told he would be removed from the ground if he continued....he left and said he wouldnt be back anytime soon.

They are right to be fair. A wholesale boycott of the team would force change. It would threaten to wipe out soccer in the country for a time and I’m just not sure what you would get after Delaney. Would it be someone better or cheaper?

Soccer/football is a poorly funded enterprise in this country in the shadow of the GAA. Being that way for 100 years. It will be the case after Delaney is gone. It’s not all the FAI’s fault.

Boycott the sponsors first

If you go to the match don't buy anything in the stadium, food, merchandise etc

If sponsors like 3 give special offers to season ticket holders etc don't take them up on it.

Before long the sponsors will leave and new ones will come in at a cheaper price

And the FAI will be wondering what's wrong with revenue.

If sponsors like 3 give special offers to season ticket holders etc don't take them up on it.

Before long the sponsors will leave and new ones will come in at a cheaper price

You would have to boycott both...games and sponsors. If the Aviva is empty no company will sponsor a game or the product. Most sponsors wouldnt be reliant on FAI supporters to secure their sales.

• Advertisement

Who will replace Delaney if the boycott is successful? Do you want the FAI disbanded? If yes who do you want to replace them?

sugarman wrote: »
    Id have thought he was a like for like replacement for Curtis, playing same position in same league with similar stats this season ..but instead he chose to call up Kevin Long, a bit part defender. Odd decision.

While the parts highlighted are true I don't think they are that similar in style. Watching Portsmouth a few times this season and Curits is a physical presence in the team and is a constant nuisance towards full backs so would see him as having a far greater impact off the bench compared to McGeady and I would Curtis as more James McClean than McGeady but being a technically better footballer than McClean.

The Kevin Long call up for Curtis was somewhat odd but think we were past the stage of "that's odd" when he named two injured players in the 23 and then announced they'll be replaced by others later that afternoon.

Who will replace Delaney if the boycott is successful? Do you want the FAI disbanded? If yes who do you want to replace them?

Oh I'm sorry

You're confusing me with someone who thinks Delaney is the root of all the problems and that "Delaney out" will somehow magically whisk us back to the glory days of the Charlton era.

He's not, and it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sean Maguire has scored a 94th minute winner to give Preston a 1-0 win over Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Oh I'm sorry

You're confusing me with someone who thinks Delaney is the root of all the problems and that "Delaney out" will somehow magically whisk us back to the glory days of the Charlton era.

He's not, and it won't.

Why not? He's doin nothing for the LOI. I doubt he has any impact on the international teams either. He's a business man who's only looking at the bottom line for the FAI, in my opinion.

As for who to replace him, it would be silly to expect anyone on boards to have, not only a list of the senior staff in the FAI, but access to their CVs to be able to assess each person.

The point is, Delaney isn't doing anything for the LOI. If he could somehow be forced out on that basis, then whoever replaces him might think "well he was ditched for ignoring the LOI, maybe if I wanna keep my job I better have a look at it!".

Worst case scenario, we get a carbon copy of Delaney, which is still better coz at least we tried. Any other scenario with his replacement, we get someone who at least has a look at the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Hourihane left out of the Villa squad today due to becoming a father for the first time last night and not because of injury.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He is yes. He's hoping that if Leeds get promoted and he's their main striker that he'll get noticed by England and he's just using us to get Southgate's attention and he might get a call up quicker.

Mick should send him another text message, two words only; F*ck Off.

Why should he fcuk off? Mick has chased him renlentlessly for months and being very public about it while Bamford has never expressed any interest in playing for ireland. His social media account during the World Cup supported England.

If he decides to not play for ireland its no skin off his back. It’s Mick/Ireland who’ll have to fcuk off and settle for what he has or find some other English footballer with an irish grandparent who isnt good enough for england.

Why should he fcuk off? Mick has chased him renlentlessly for months and being very public about it while Bamford has never expressed any interest in playing for ireland. His social media account during the World Cup supported England.

If he decides to not play for ireland its no skin off his back. It’s Mick/Ireland who’ll have to fcuk off and settle for what he has or find some other English footballer with an irish grandparent who isnt good enough for england.

Is there not an England thread you should be posting in?

Is there not an England thread you should be posting in?

Is that an argument? How about you pick out anything in my post that’s untrue or inaccurate?

Is that an argument? How about you pick out anything in my post that’s untrue or inaccurate?

He shouldn't be considered for selection again and told he won't be considered for selection again.

When he felt the need to say anything at all about waiting until September it makes what you're saying above incorrect/wishful thinking. No interest at all = no need for him to even mention it.

He shouldn't be considered for selection again and told he won't be considered for selection again.

When he felt the need to say anything at all about waiting until September it makes what you're saying above incorrect/wishful thinking. No interest at all = no need for him to even mention it.

Ironically, what you are saying is wistful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Brego888 wrote: »

Hopefully it's something to take him down.

Just because him going won't fix everything, it doesn't mean he should be left there either.

_

Its only another story of the ones that were already written about his wages from the FAI and uefa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Why not? He's doin nothing for the LOI. I doubt he has any impact on the international teams either. He's a business man who's only looking at the bottom line for the FAI himself , in my opinion.

As for who to replace him, it would be silly to expect anyone on boards to have, not only a list of the senior staff in the FAI, but access to their CVs to be able to assess each person.

The point is, Delaney isn't doing anything for the LOI. If he could somehow be forced out on that basis, then whoever replaces him might think "well he was ditched for ignoring the LOI, maybe if I wanna keep my job I better have a look at it!".

Worst case scenario, we get a carbon copy of Delaney, which is still better coz at least we tried. Any other scenario with his replacement, we get someone who at least has a look at the LOI.

FTFY

Hopefully it's something to take him down.

Just because him going won't fix everything, it doesn't mean he should be left there either.

_

Be better if they did a story on why we are getting into partnership with a company that has strong links to the Bulgarian mob.

[url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Its only another story of the ones that were already written about his wages from the FAI and uefa.

Why would he try to take out a high court injunction? Or is he just that arrogant? Rhetorical question that second one...

Wrote a personal cheque for 100k to the FAI. Generous fella our John

fullstop wrote: »
    Wrote a personal cheque for 100k to the FAI. Generous fella our John

And from the shot of the story on the front page, they have no more than that. Nothing about what it was for or anything.

And from the shot of the story on the front page, they have no more than that. Nothing about what it was for or anything.

Yeah looks like there’s not much more. Hopefully it leads to a lot more digging.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement