Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jack Byrne called up to the squad to replace the injured Callum O’Dowda.

Bit bizarre that we announce a 38 man provisional squad, cut it down to 23, then 3 drop out through injury and 2 lads come in that weren’t even in the provisional squad in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

wadacrack wrote: »
    Jack Byrne called up , good to see

Sorry for being cautious.....but will he play or is it a distraction for the Irish media???

Bit like Kenny and Mick....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sorry for being cautious.....but will he play or is it a distraction for the Irish media???

Bit like Kenny and Mick....

Will have to wait and see but I wouldn't be surprised if he got a few minutes v Gibraltar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Jack Byrne called up to the squad to replace the injured Callum O’Dowda.

Bit bizarre that we announce a 38 man provisional squad, cut it down to 23, then 3 drop out through injury and 2 lads come in that weren’t even in the provisional squad in the first place :pac:

Based on original squad, a replacement for (specifically) O'Dowda would have been Williams, Meyler or Towell.

Based on Jack's performances this season and especially Friday evening, Mick made the right choice.

Like Cullen, I'm happy that Mick is making player choices based what he's seeing with his own eyes and nothing more. No sentiment. Exactly the type of Mick we'll need for this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Based on original squad, a replacement for (specifically) O'Dowda would have been Williams, Meyler or Towell.

Based on Jack's performances this season and especially Friday evening, Mick made the right choice.

Like Cullen, I'm happy that Mick is making player choices based what he's seeing with his own eyes and nothing more. No sentiment. Exactly the type of Mick we'll need for this campaign.

Don’t get me wrong I have no problem with it, I’m a massive advocate for the league. Just think it’s gas is all, having such an extensive preliminary squad only to call lads up that werent in it in the first place. Makes the whole thing redundant no?

I pity Richie Towell as well. If he was still playing League of Ireland he probably would have been called up by now. Mad to think about really considering where we were a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

FAI awards on RTE2 from 8:30. Wonder if Delaney will be in attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Apparently he has refused rte an interview. A statement will be out tonight and a press conference is scheduled for the start of April. Was on rte news earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Apparently he has refused rte an interview. A statement will be out tonight and a press conference is scheduled for the start of April. Was on rte news earlier

Should hold it on April 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Omackeral wrote: »
    Should hold it on April 1st.

I was still hoping that's what the Rice award was for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

If Alan Partridge done awards ceremonies................................

• Advertisement

Did they announce the young player award? I didn't see them tweet it among all the other winners.

Did they announce the young player award? I didn't see them tweet it among all the other winners.

yeah, got it over and done with in a couple of brief seconds with the old, it was decided in advance nonsense

he was also nominated for senior award with Duffy and Randolph

he was also nominated for senior award with Duffy and Randolph

Yeah was just reading that he was third in the senior. That's really bad and shows how weak a year it really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Joke of a ceremony they brought up David mcgoldrick for o briens goal of the year award
    He wasn't even in the squad back then.
    Kaladze got the international award he didn't turn up either

Zico ! wrote: »
    Joke of a ceremony they brought up David mcgoldrick for o briens goal of the year award
    He wasn't even in the squad back then.
    Kaladze got the international award he didn't turn up either

As in the Georgian player?? What is that all about????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Strange old show really overall. David McGoldrick asked up to collect O'Briens award and then asked nothing about Ireland. Glenn Whelan collecting Duffys award. The Georgian guy who wasn't even there winning the international award!
    Rice being in the top 3 senior players of the year made it worse. Bad enough he won the young player thing.

Because we scored so few goals last year, that was the 1st time ever that an u-17 & U-21 goal were included to make up the numbers. As it turned out a half decent cross headed in was our goal of the year in a meaningless friendly. Kinda sums up 2018 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

If Alan Partridge done awards ceremonies................................

FAI literally can't organise a p*** up

sugarman wrote: »
    International Personality award, its a bizarre one.

Previous winners

2017: Marco Tardelli
    2016: John Hartson
    2015: Gianluca Vialli
    2014: Jan Tomaszewski
    2013: Dejan Stankovic
    2012: Zbigniew Boniek
    2011: Pavel Nedved
    2010: Ian Rush
    2009: Ricky Villa
    2008: Ruud Gullit
    2007: Socrates
    2006: Bobby Robson
    2005: Pierluigi Collina
    2004: Martin O’Neill
    2002: Michel Platini
    2001: Jack Charlton
    2000: Pat Jennings
    1999: Billy McNeill
    1998: Nobby Stiles
    1997: Franz Beckenbauer

How did that fly under my radar. Lol at the 2004 recipient. It all looks totally random and reeks of ‘who was available’

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

International Personality award, its a bizarre one.

Previous winners

2017: Marco Tardelli
    2016: John Hartson
    2015: Gianluca Vialli
    2014: Jan Tomaszewski
    2013: Dejan Stankovic
    2012: Zbigniew Boniek
    2011: Pavel Nedved
    2010: Ian Rush
    2009: Ricky Villa
    2008: Ruud Gullit
    2007: Socrates
    2006: Bobby Robson
    2005: Pierluigi Collina
    2004: Martin O’Neill
    2002: Michel Platini
    2001: Jack Charlton
    2000: Pat Jennings
    1999: Billy McNeill
    1998: Nobby Stiles
    1997: Franz Beckenbauer

What the **** is John Hartsons name on that list of legends for? Massive Celtic fan btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How did that fly under my radar. Lol at the 2004 recipient. It all looks totally random and reeks of ‘who was available’

He was in a really successful period managing Celtic around that time. A European cup final the previous summer

Aside from that, hes won more of them as a player than most if not all on that list?

Let's not let his terrible spell in charge of us blind us

He was in a really successful period managing Celtic around that time. A European cup final the previous summer

Yes at that point in time his award was as legitimate as anyone’s. I just think it’s funny given the sourness that subsequently defined his relationship with our soccer public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What the **** is John Hartsons name on that list of legends for? Massive Celtic fan btw

Probably as much to do with his remarkable comeback from brain cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Shambles of a ceremony. The whole thing was one big awkward cringefest. The interviews were so stilted. No flow. Goal of the season was a header from a cross...jaysus. The young player of the year was an Englishman. Couldn't get the VT right on the Duffy award. And the Kaladze international award...what the f*ck was that about? Because we've played Georgia so many times over the years we thought we better give one of them an award?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Never mind Kaladze not turning up, why does the award even exist in the first place? It's a nonsense. It's the annual awards to recognise what Irish players have done. Why the need to throw in some token overseas award?

Tinpot organisation.

• Advertisement

To be fair O'Brien and Duffy were facing eachother in the FA Cup today that went to extra time and penos. They both might have missed their flights and they just got whoever was in the squad that flew in early to collect it on their part last minute.

Also, not that 2018 wasn't a bad year ...it was disastrous. But it's probably the year we played the least amount of games given we didn't qualify for the world cup and the introduction of the nation's league.

As for the whole Rice thing, there should have been a revote. O'Dowda deserved it.

I doubt they missed flights. I envisage they weren't expected to arrive until today.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Shambles of a ceremony. The whole thing was one big awkward cringefest. The interviews were so stilted. No flow. Goal of the season was a header from a cross...jaysus. The young player of the year was an Englishman. Couldn't get the VT right on the Duffy award. And the Kaladze international award...what the f*ck was that about? Because we've played Georgia so many times over the years we thought we better give one of them an award?

The Oman players must be getting very aggrieved now by the lack of recognition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Has anybody heard anything about Gibraltar tickets ie are they being posted or have we to collect from Abbotstown or Gibraltar? Haven’t had access to email since Friday morning so I may have missed it.

And so it finally begins................

mick-mccarthy.gif

Full fixture list for 2019

GIBRALTAR v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - Saturday 23rd March, Victoria Stadium, Gibraltar,

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v GEORGIA - Tuesday 26th March, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, KO 19.45

DENMARK v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - Friday 7th June,, KO 19.45

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v GIBRALTAR- Monday 10th June, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, KO 19.45

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v SWITZERLAND - Thursday 5th September, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, KO 19.45

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v BULGARIA - Tues 10th September, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, KO 19.45

GEORGIA v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - Saturday 12th October, KO listed @ 18.00 local time

SWITZERLAND v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND- Tuesday 15th October, , KO 19.45

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v New Zealand - Thurs 14th November, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, KO 19.45

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v DENMARK -Monday 18th November, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, KO 19.45

Collie D wrote: »
    Has anybody heard anything about Gibraltar tickets ie are they being posted or have we to collect from Abbotstown or Gibraltar? Haven’t had access to email since Friday morning so I may have missed it.

I am not going but apparently they are collection

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »

Was told I would probably have to collect my tickets out there....no time for them to be posted out to Germany......

Here he is, first training session ..already dishing out more instructions than MON did in his 5 years on the training ground.

1667996.jpg

Also, I reckon there will be another friendly squeezed in for the first week of June after the training 2 week camp in Portugal for fringe players. Might be an unofficial /behind door job.

Different times...................different quality

First training session in 1996!

?width=583&version=4449580

Starting lineup for first game (5-0 win over Liechtenstein)

0 Shay Given (G)
    0 Jeff Kenna
    0 Steve Staunton
    0 Ray Houghton
    0 Andy Townsend
    0 Ian Harte
    0 Roy Keane
    0 Kenny Cunningham
    0 Gary Kelly
    0 Mark Kennedy
    0 David Connolly

Was told I would probably have to collect my tickets out there....no time stamp cost funds for them to be posted out to Germany......

..............more like..........

..............more like..........

Am sure a briding loan would be available....or they could make a show of the sport and try again to draw grants from the government early....:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

So what is the general consensus on the qualifiers? Optimism or Apprehension?

Personally i am optimistic. Having Mick back should at least see us give teams a go. I dont expect us to suddenly start beating all around us but heres hoping that these two games show positivity.

6 points is a must. I know perhaps it is a pointless exercise at this stage but i predict a 4-0 win in Gibraltar followed up by a 2-0 win at home to Geogia. Then bouyed with exuberant confidence from those magnificent wins we walk the rest of the group and go on to win the euros. :D

alta stare wrote: »
    So what is the general consensus on the qualifiers? Optimism or Apprehension?

Personally i am optimistic. Having Mick back should at least see us give teams a go. I dont expect us to suddenly start beating all around us but heres hoping that these two games show positivity.

6 points is a must. I know perhaps it is a pointless exercise at this stage but i predict a 4-0 win in Gibraltar followed up by a 2-0 win at home to Geogia. Then bouyed with exuberant confidence from those magnificent wins we walk the rest of the group and go on to win the euros. :D

I'm a bit apprehensive. I think there seems to be an air of unfounded optimism around Mick coming back. Ultimately, we have a limited bunch of players. But I do believe he will get us playing better and competing better. I'm not sure it'll be enough to challenge the top two in the group though. Having said that, I don't think Denmark are a particularly good side, Erikisen apart. Winning the opening to games is the key. Just get some confidence into the team and some hope for the fans for the qualification.

Reading that back, I'm fairly indecisive as to where things stand. I just hope we can start looking like a team with a clear plan, beating teams ranked below us, and looking like bloodying the noses of teams ranked higher than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Having said that, I don't think Denmark are a particularly good side, Erikisen apart.

I'm sorry mate, have you actually seen the Danish team? The first team is Chelsea, Tottenham, Sevilla, Leicester, Dortmund and Ajax players. You would field a team that is competitive in the Champion's League with them.

On our side, we have a single player that plays for a team in the top 10 of the premier league (Matt Doherty). We then have Coleman at Everton.

Then we have Kevin Long, Hendrick, and Brady at Burnley, Arter at Cardiff, Long at Southampton, Christie at Fulham and Duffy at Brighton, all of which are fighting against relegation at the bottom of the table - and in many of their cases, not even playing at those teams.

The remainder of our team can largely be bulked up with Championship players, but we are having to pull lads from League One, and our benches and squads feature as low as League Two.

Denmark are absolutely a particularly good side, they're currently ranked 10th in the world and will absolutely walk us. Worse still is we also have to contend with Switzerland, who are on about the same level as Denmark.

They're middling. Unfortunately we're well below middling.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

They're middling. Unfortunately we're well below middling.

They are competitive with all of the top teams. They are well above middling. I struggle to think of a team that would not have a hard time with them.

An example of a middling team is Poland. Denmark would most likely beat them imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Shane Long is now out for the two upcoming matches with a groin injury. Aiden O'Brien called up to replace him.

• Advertisement

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    I'm sorry mate, have you actually seen the Danish team? The first team is Chelsea, Tottenham, Sevilla, Leicester, Dortmund and Ajax players. You would field a team that is competitive in the Champion's League with them.

On our side, we have a single player that plays for a team in the top 10 of the premier league (Matt Doherty). We then have Coleman at Everton.

Then we have Kevin Long, Hendrick, and Brady at Burnley, Arter at Cardiff, Long at Southampton, Christie at Fulham and Duffy at Brighton, all of which are fighting against relegation at the bottom of the table - and in many of their cases, not even playing at those teams.

The remainder of our team can largely be bulked up with Championship players, but we are having to pull lads from League One, and our benches and squads feature as low as League Two.

Denmark are absolutely a particularly good side, they're currently ranked 10th in the world and will absolutely walk us. Worse still is we also have to contend with Switzerland, who are on about the same level as Denmark.

Why are you jumping in suggesting I compared our side favourably with Denmark? I said I don't think Denmark are a particularly good team. And I stand by that.

To answer your question as to whether I've seen them - yes, on numerous occasions over the past couple of years. That has helped me form my opinion of them.

Denmark. ...... middling, not a particularly good team, ah here.

Each to there own I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gibraltar would surely be justified in thinking they have a genuine chance of a result against us.

We are a thrown together shambles at the moment.

McCarthy has his work cut out.

Gibraltar would surely be justified in thinking they have a genuine chance of a result against us.

We are a thrown together shambles at the moment.

McCarthy has his work cut out.

You're probably over estimating Gibraltar. We could throw out a third string 11 and beat them comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

It is extremely hard to do anything on a football pitch with no goal scorers and no goal creators. That’s the long and short of it.

While I’m no great believer in mcgeady his exclusion from the squad looks a mistake to me but hopefully we’ll be alright.

Did Browne pull out after? Love to see him start if he's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Dots1982 wrote: »
    It is extremely hard to do anything on a football pitch with no goal scorers and no goal creators. That’s the long and short of it.

Long is out so at least now we have a chance to get a goal :D

Denmark. ...... middling, not a particularly good team, ah here.

Each to there own I guess

Uh oh. Captain Cliche has arrived.

• Advertisement

Theres plenty of goals in the team and we'll have plenty of chances in these 2 games with what we have available.

A quick look at this seasons stats and we've...

McGoldrick with 12 goals, 3 assists.
    Collins with 20 goals, 4 assists.
    Maguire with 3 goals, 3 assists in his last 10 since coming back from injury.
    Hourihane with 7 goals, 10 assists.
    Duffy with 5 goals, 3 assists.
    Doherty 3 goals, 6 assists.

Thats enough to get past the mighty Gibraltar and Georgia.

If it was a double header against Denmark and Switzerland, id be a lot more concerned.

But it isnt all about goals either, its about being well organized and drilled. Going into games with every player knowing their roll, going in with the right attitude and mentality.

Mick & TC will restore that.

I was talking about qualification rather than just the next double header.

But in fairness those stats are impressive. Has to be kept in mind that Duffy apart their stats at international level don’t exist.

Hopefully your faith in Mick is well placed. I’m yet to be convinced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement