Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres plenty of goals in the team and we'll have plenty of chances in these 2 games with what we have available.

A quick look at this seasons stats and we've...

McGoldrick with 12 goals, 3 assists.
    Collins with 20 goals, 4 assists.
    Maguire with 3 goals, 3 assists in his last 10 since coming back from injury.
    Hourihane with 7 goals, 10 assists.
    Duffy with 5 goals, 3 assists.
    Doherty 3 goals, 6 assists.

Thats enough to get past the mighty Gibraltar and Georgia.

If it was a double header against Denmark and Switzerland, id be a lot more concerned.

But it isnt all about goals either, its about being well organized and drilled. Going into games with every player knowing their roll, going in with the right attitude and mentality.

Mick & TC will restore that.

I was talking about qualification rather than just the next double header.

But in fairness those stats are impressive. Has to be kept in mind that Duffy apart their stats at international level don’t exist.

Hopefully your faith in Mick is well placed. I’m yet to be convinced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You're probably over estimating Gibraltar. We could throw out a third string 11 and beat them comfortably.

Once this team win comfortably will be fine, nevermind the third string!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Uh oh. Captain Cliche has arrived.

Speak for yourself. No need to be such a smartar$e just because people dared find your opinion silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I was a supporter of O Neill and Keane but the football was bad, same with Trap. I'm just hoping for better football under Mick. Not expecting miracles but something better than what's gone before would be a really nice change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

If the lads enjoy themselves, want to play for the manager, then Mick will get them playing ball. Quality of play is another matter but if the players give 110% no one will run them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Anybody get the fai survey emailed to them?
    Im not even sure how they have my details...oul jd looking to see the lay of the land probably

retalivity wrote: »
    Im not even sure how they have my details...oul jd looking to see the lay of the land probably

Got it there in the last hour...assume the mail details come from either buying in the online shop or fromt he ticket shop....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Fair point, but the main reason for that was MONs hit and hope approach aka 90mins of hoofing. Its why Duffy done so well, as did the other targetmen in Murphy and Walters.

With Mick, he'll use the Midfield more instead of bypassing it over their heads. Theres goals in the likes of Browne and Hourihane from a central position and on the flanks theres the likes of O'Dowda, Brady, Curtis, Robinson as well as the fullbacks/wingbacks in Stevens and Doherty that can get forward and chip in.

I dont expect us to play great football, I just think we'll be well drilled and organised and play to our strenghts.

We'll probably play a flat 4-4-2 / 4-1-4-1 / 4-4-1-1 most of the time and we'll sit deep and hold onto the ball more, taking our chances on counters and setpieces.

Watching back some of Hourihanes goals and assists since joining Villa and one thing I've noticed is he's not afraid to have a shot from distance (something we are lacking) and he can actually deliver a set piece (another thing we are lacking) and score a free kick. Same with Browne, he's scored some cracking goals for Preston and like Hourihane has a knack of getting in the box for a tap in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Got it there in the last hour...assume the mail details come from either buying in the online shop or fromt he ticket shop....

I didn't get it and I've bought the GLITW book from them recently. Is the survey sharable or personalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

retalivity wrote: »

An astonishing ability to score own goal after own goal.

• Advertisement

Would the u21 match be sold out already? Doesn't seem to be tickets left online..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Is it a one link per person thing or can the link be posted here? Don't give the FAI any money so they won't have my details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Is it a one link per person thing or can the link be posted here? Don't give the FAI any money so they won't have my details.

Its one link per person.
    Ive not bought anything off the fai that i remember, havent been at a game in about 4years either so tickets to that maybr.

Must check if i have a gdpr request from them....

If you just go to the surveymonkey faifansurvey URL you can probably do it.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would the u21 match be sold out already? Doesn't seem to be tickets left online..

€100,000 would have covered the cost of most of those tickets and explained the loan....:D:D

Not a chance, you'll get a ticket on the day.

Didn't think so but bit odd 5 days out that there's none online.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Didn't think so but bit odd 5 days out that there's none online.

Where were you checking, ticketmaster was working for me.

Where were you checking, ticketmaster was working for me.

TM earlier. Unless there's some up now again. Will have a look cheers

If anyone wants to do it go to http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FAIFanSurvey

If the lads enjoy themselves, want to play for the manager, then Mick will get them playing ball. Quality of play is another matter but if the players give 110% no one will run them down.

Or to say what will actually happen; if they qualify they are all a bunch of great lads, if they don’t they are a bunch of donkeys managed by a total cnut.

• Advertisement

The 19s kick off their elite round fixtures tomorrow, 9am Irish time against Romania. They play Azerbaijan on the 23rd and hosts Russia on the 26th which will probably be the deciding match to see who wins the group. Be a great achievement if they qualify given they'll without their starting CBs Lee O'Connor and Nathan Collins, Conor Coventry in midfield and strike partners Troy Parrot and Adam Idah.

Republic of Ireland Under-19 Squad

Goalkeepers:

Brian Maher (St Patrick's Athletic),
    George McMahon (Burnley)

Defenders:

Andy Lyons (Bohemians),
    Tom Gaston (Bordeaux),
    Mark McGuinness (Arsenal),
    Oisin McEntee (Newcastle United),
    Jack James (Luton Town),
    Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton)

Midfielders:

Niall Morahan (Sligo Rovers),
    Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers),
    Jason Knight (Derby County),
    Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers),
    Will Smallbone (Southampton),
    Conor Grant (Sheffield Wednesday),
    Richie O'Farrell (UCD)

Forwards:

Ali Reghba (Bohemians),
    Will Ferry (Southampton),
    Festy Ebosele (Derby County),
    Tyriek Wright (Aston Villa)
    Jonathan Afolabi (Southampton)

2019 UEFA European Under-19 Championship - Elite Round Qualifiers

March 20: Republic of Ireland v Romania, Kuban Stadium, Krasnodar, KO 12:00 (9:00 Irish Time)

March 23: Republic of Ireland v Azerbaijan, Kuban Stadium, Krasnodar, KO 12:00 (9:00 Irish Time)

March 26: Republic of Ireland v Russia, FC Krasnodar Academy Stadium, KO 17:00 (14:00 Irish Time)

The 19s kick off their elite round fixtures tomorrow, 9am Irish time against Romania. They play Azerbaijan on the 23rd and hosts Russia on the 26th which will probably be the deciding match to see who wins the group. Be a great achievement if they qualify given they'll without their starting CBs Lee O'Connor and Nathan Collins, Conor Coventry in midfield and strike partners Troy Parrot and Adam Idah.

Without Brandon Kavanagh too who's up with the U21s

Without Brandon Kavanagh too who's up with the U21s

Has never played a competitive game with the 19s, has only made the one appearance in a friendly game against Wales.

Has never played a competitive game with the 19s, has only made the one appearance in a friendly game against Wales.

Still a quality player that is eligible for the U19s and unavailable to them

Still a quality player that is eligible for the U19s and unavailable to them

And wasn't named in the squad when it was first announced three days ago even though he was available like lots of other players but the five mentioned were all regular starters and made up the spine of the team from October's games which is why I brought it up.

And wasn't named in the squad when it was first announced three days ago even though he was available like lots of other players but the five mentioned were all regular starters and made up the spine of the team from October's games which is why I brought it up.

He wasn't available, he was being held back because he was stand-by for the 21st and a player was a serious injury doubt.

At the end of the day he's a quality player that they don't have available to them because he's with a squad higher up so it will add to the achievement of them doing it without him. What's your problem with that?

If you just go to the surveymonkey faifansurvey URL you can probably do it.

My response when asked about barriers to attending games:

The conduct of the CEO of the FAI, the manner in which the FAI conduct themselves. The PR approach of the FAI. The music played after goals are scored. The price of tickets. The North Korean like approach of barring/removing any flags deemed to be criticising the CEO of the FAI. The manner in which away tickets have been allocated over the last number of years. The CEO singing rebel songs in a pub and subsequently denying it until video footage appeared. The CEO attempting to take out an injunction against the reporting of a €100k loan to the FAI, then the FAI releasing 3 statements in relation to it over the following days. Continuously arranging friendly games against Poland and Oman. The blood curdling volume of the PA system at matches. The goal music (again). The CEO of the FAI. I mentioned that already but feel it is worth repeating. These are just things that I've picked off the top of my head over the past couple of minutes. I'm sure if I actually spent more time on this, I could think of more.

My response when asked about barriers to attending games:

The conduct of the CEO of the FAI, the manner in which the FAI conduct themselves. The PR approach of the FAI. The music played after goals are scored. The price of tickets. The North Korean like approach of barring/removing any flags deemed to be criticising the CEO of the FAI. The manner in which away tickets have been allocated over the last number of years. The CEO singing rebel songs in a pub and subsequently denying it until video footage appeared. The CEO attempting to take out an injunction against the reporting of a €100k loan to the FAI, then the FAI releasing 3 statements in relation to it over the following days. Continuously arranging friendly games against Poland and Oman. The blood curdling volume of the PA system at matches. The goal music (again). The CEO of the FAI. I mentioned that already but feel it is worth repeating. These are just things that I've picked off the top of my head over the past couple of minutes. I'm sure if I actually spent more time on this, I could think of more.

I just said getting to the Aviva was a pain in the hole :D

I don't think it was ever really in the balance at all was it?

https://twitter.com/England/status/1108111798752948225

• Advertisement

Heard a clip of this earlier, and I'd agree with you. I'm not really sure why it took so long for him to announce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Heard a clip of this earlier, and I'd agree with you. I'm not really sure why it took so long for him to announce it.

Contract negotiations and image rights. He held out to maximise his earning potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I noticed someone was looking for U21 tickets on thread but can't be bothered going back to see who. I'm able to get four freebies via Season Ticket if anyone wants them. If you PM me before 5pm today I should be able to email them across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    I'm sorry mate, have you actually seen the Danish team? The first team is Chelsea, Tottenham, Sevilla, Leicester, Dortmund and Ajax players. You would field a team that is competitive in the Champion's League with them.

On our side, we have a single player that plays for a team in the top 10 of the premier league (Matt Doherty). We then have Coleman at Everton.

Then we have Kevin Long, Hendrick, and Brady at Burnley, Arter at Cardiff, Long at Southampton, Christie at Fulham and Duffy at Brighton, all of which are fighting against relegation at the bottom of the table - and in many of their cases, not even playing at those teams.

The remainder of our team can largely be bulked up with Championship players, but we are having to pull lads from League One, and our benches and squads feature as low as League Two.

Denmark are absolutely a particularly good side, they're currently ranked 10th in the world and will absolutely walk us. Worse still is we also have to contend with Switzerland, who are on about the same level as Denmark.

It will be a miracle if we finish above either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Another kick in the teeth guy has no respect. for us at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No, somehow I don't think he was very conflicted at all over his decision. Wants to "forget about the past".

Ah well time to forget about it ourselves now.

• Advertisement

In reality, it was like asking a young lad did he want to play for Barcelona or Luton town.

ebbsy wrote: »
    It will be a miracle if we finish above either of them.

I see the Vatican's criteria for what qualifies as a miracle has been drastically reduced.

No, somehow I don't think he was very conflicted at all over his decision. Wants to "forget about the past".

Ah well time to forget about it ourselves now.

Ah yeah and even if it was he'd hardly say it either

Collie D wrote: »
    I see the Vatican's criteria for what qualifies as a miracle has been drastically reduced.

We will be doing well to finish above Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

we will finish either second or third
    all this doom and gloom before a ball is even kicked

we have never had world beater teams but we have given a few of those world beaters a scare now and then

Denmark will be hard to beat but without Erickson really who do they have
    Lord Bentdner ? Poulisn

The Swiss will be hard as well
    but they had a hard time against the North

• Advertisement

Sin City wrote: »
    we will finish either second or third
    all this doom and gloom before a ball is even kicked

we have never had world beater teams but we have given a few of those world beaters a scare now and then

Denmark will be hard to beat but without Erickson really who do they have
    Lord Bentdner ? Poulisn

The Swiss will be hard as well
    but they had a hard time against the North

They didn’t really have a hard time with the north if you watched the ties. They spanked them everywhere but the scoreboard. They bet Belgium 5-2 more recently. I’d agree they are no world beaters but we should be finishing third in this group. Second would be a heck of an achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Dots1982 wrote: »
    They didn’t really have a hard time with the north if you watched the ties. They spanked them everywhere but the scoreboard. They bet Belgium 5-2 more recently. I’d agree they are no world beaters but we should be finishing third in this group. Second would be a heck of an achievement.

I would agree with that. If you were to offer to me that we would split Denmark and Switzerland in the final group table right now I would take that as of course that would mean second place which I agree would be an amazing achievement considering how poor the current squad we have is talent wise.

Either way whatever it happens it w'ont be McCarthy's fault.

It is a pity he didn't get the Nations league as well. He might have retained a few players and bed in a few others.

Why did they also name the next manager ? McCarthy should have been given a few tournaments.

Either way whatever it happens it w'ont be McCarthy's fault.

It is a pity he didn't get the Nations league as well. He might have retained a few players and bed in a few others.

Why did they also name the next manager ? McCarthy should have been given a few tournaments.

Why should Mick have been given a few tournaments?

Its a load of bollocks.

We played Denmark 4 times in the last 2 years and they beat us once. The other 3 results were 0-0!

A closer look at their 2018 qualifiers and they were beaten by Poland and Montenegro and drew twice with Romania! They also struggled against minnows Armenia in narrow 1-0 win.

Australia held them to a score draw at the world cup too.

Theres absolutely no reason why we cannot have a go at these lads and come away with a result.

Especially with new management with a fresh approach and mindset. One who can organize a team and have them well drilled, knowing their roll and with some tactical knowledge.

Im not saying we're going to become world beaters all of sudden, and Im not saying Denmark arent a superior team (They are). But they can be got at.

People are giving them far too much credit.

As for Georgia? Theyre a good side constantly on the up and Tblisi has and always will be a difficult place to go. They've beaten Croatia and Scotland and drawn with France, Austria, Wales and us in recent times. Along with narrow 1 goal defeats to the likes of Germany, France, Spain and again also with us, Scotland, Wales and Austria.

They are actually the perfect example of how a team with average players, worse than our own (or at least not playing at as high a level) can excel in International football with the right approach and mindset along with their management. Theyve them well drilled and setup, everyone knows their roll and they get behind the ball and take advantage of the chances they get on counters and setpieces. They play with no fear because theyve rarely anything to lose.

..but back to the point. Can we beat them? Absolutely.

The form you are taking from Denmark is from 3 years ago. Denmark changed their manager and transformed their game, beating Poland 4-0 at home.

The thing with Denmark and Switzerland is they don’t have a class center forward (Dollberg, poulsen and serfinovic) so you can give them a chance and there’s a good chance they’ll miss it. You give the likes of lewandowski a chance and you’re picking the ball out of your net.

Because the players w'ont respond to Kenny.

Just like they didn't with Kerr.

Why should Mick have been given a few tournaments?

Have you got this week's lotto numbers seeing as you can see into the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

If we are solid at the back anything is possible
    We have players who can nick a goal

We arent going to play tiki taka or anything but we may be able to grind out results

New manager brings new optimism

We're third seeds so we'd be meeting expectations to finish ahead of them, not doing well.

Denmark and Switzerland are better than us, no arguments there but it's not a miracle task like our originally drawn Germany & Holland top seeds would have been.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement