Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

ebbsy wrote: »
    Because the players w'ont respond to Kenny.

Just like they didn't with Kerr.

Kerr has the highest win % and points per game of every permanent manager in the history of the national team.
    He also brought through the most talented generation of players we've had in at the very least a long time, winning two underage euros and coming third in an underage world cup.

So tell me again how the player didn't respond to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    Massive result in the other group game for the u19s today.

Russia drew 0-0 with Azerbaijan.

A win against Romania over the weekend should be enough to see us through.

It's a great result for us and going by reports the Russia and Azerbaijan game wasn't great so a win at the weekend gives us a great chance of qualifying.

Aaron Bolger was excellent and really stepped it up standing in as captain, you could tell compared to the rest that he's got experience playing senior football. Ferry and Smallbone were also excellent in the game and we've got quite the Irish contingent plying their trade with Southamptons underage. We've got some serious talent at U19 level that the future looks good if even a handful of them make it to senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Leaving relative abilities aside and our chances of qualifying versus other potential groups. This group could be all time boring. Well documented what we’re like to watch but Switzerland and Denmark are higher functioning versions of ourselves. Little flair among any of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

ebbsy wrote: »
    We will be doing well to finish above Georgia.

What a load of load of nonsense. We will battle for second. Denmark and Switzerland are not top teams, Good teams yes but they wont blow us away. The defeat to Denmark was a poor result but they wont do that to us again.

The Swiss are away to Georgia on Saturday and we have Gibralter. If the Swiss cant beat Georgia and we win well then we are already two/three points ahead of the Swiss.

Tuesday we have Georgia at home, the Swiss and Danes play each other. If we win again then we stay ahead of Denmark and Switzerland regardless of the result there. A win for us and a draw for those two and it sets us up nicely for the June qualifers.

Georgia have improved but i still cant see them finishing ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Kerr has the highest win % and points per game of every permanent manager in the history of the national team.
    He also brought through the most talented generation of players we've had in at the very least a long time, winning two underage euros and coming third in an underage world cup.

So tell me again how the player didn't respond to him?

Robbie Keane really struggled under Kerr despite frequently tearing the PL asunder during Kerr’s reign.

Kerr was an ok manager. He had some very good players but we also had Colin Healy, Graham kavanagh and Gary Doherty frequently getting in the first eleven. He was unlucky Richie Sadlier was a crock as we needed someone decent playing off Robbie. Clinton Morrison and Gary Doherty tried and scored some goals but they weren’t in Niall Quinn’s class.

Goals from the under 19 5-0, the assist for the fifth is very clever. The third is also nice. https://twitter.com/faireland/status/1108358921339711489?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sad news that Sky Sports Republic of Ireland correspondent Fraser Robertson passed away at age 47. RIP.

https://twitter.com/skysports_bryan/status/1108427980068532235?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The thing with Denmark and Switzerland is they don’t have a class center forward (Dollberg, poulsen and serfinovic) so you can give them a chance and there’s a good chance they’ll miss it. You give the likes of lewandowski a chance and you’re picking the ball out of your net.

Huh? Poulsen is having the season of his life. 12 goals in the Bundesliga which is level with that of Werner. Wish we had a player close to his level.

Huh? Poulsen is having the season of his life. 12 goals in the Bundesliga which is level with that of Werner. Wish we had a player close to his level.

Fair enough, I wasn’t aware. 12 goals in the bundesliga by March is good but it’s not wow good.

• Advertisement

If
    sugarman wrote: »
    Keep in mind the Bundesliga only has 18 teams / 4 fewer game. Theyre only at gameweek 26 now. Poulsen has 12 in 25. Thats good going playing for Leipzig.

When was the last time we had a player reach double figures in the PL?

Must be more than a decade ago.

Yeah but we’re ****e. My point was around there are no lewandowski’s or Kane’s in our group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Leaving relative abilities aside and our chances of qualifying versus other potential groups. This group could be all time boring. Well documented what we’re like to watch but Switzerland and Denmark are higher functioning versions of ourselves. Little flair among any of us

Thats sadly a pretty valid point. Going t6o be a real strain on the eyes most likely much of this group regardless of how good or bad our results end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Michael Keane on the bbc sports page. Maybe we do need to quiz dual nationality players a bit more. There’s no way someone who thinks like this should be representing Ireland at any age group.

"I always thought I belonged with England and that's why I have always dreamed of playing for England.

"When I was at Ireland, I wasn't good enough to play for England at that time. I was only young and small and still developing. I had in the back of my head that hopefully one day I could play for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

mada82 wrote: »
    Michael Keane on the bbc sports page. Maybe we do need to quiz dual nationality players a bit more. There’s no way someone who thinks like this should be representing Ireland at any age group.

"I always thought I belonged with England and that's why I have always dreamed of playing for England.

"When I was at Ireland, I wasn't good enough to play for England at that time. I was only young and small and still developing. I had in the back of my head that hopefully one day I could play for England.

More on it in the indo link here. Hate that players like this turn out for us at all.

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1108468985564155910?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Not very smart him coming out with this when his twin brother has just declared for us. We all know the deal with Will Keane but Michael hasn't exactly helped his cause here.

henke wrote: »
    Not very smart him coming out with this when his twin brother has just declared for us. We all know the deal with Will Keane but Michael hasn't exactly helped his cause here.

Maybe he knows something we don’t about Will’s intentions

• Advertisement

Maybe we should only pick Irish born players st underage level and then pick others at senior if required to strengthen the team or squad.

If he doesn't know any of the Irish relations on his Dad's side then I'd hazard a guess that Will doesn't either. He's declared purely because he'll never have another option and I'd love to see him knocked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Maybe he knows something we don’t about Will’s intentions

One would assume they would be of the same train of thought difference been Will is nowhere near good enough for England and may not see much game time for us either.

mada82 wrote:
    More on it in the indo link here. Hate that players like this turn out for us at all.

We're quite happy for players to think like this when we're the ones who benefit.

duffy

_54479370_mcclean1.gif

We're quite happy for players to think like this when we're the ones who benefit.

duffy

_54479370_mcclean1.gif

Exactly. It's up to us to worry about ourselves and not worry about Northern Ireland. That's their problem.

They shouldn't pick players they know don't want to be there either. Looks like neither us or them have any backbone.

• Advertisement

duffy

_54479370_mcclean1.gif

I think the nationality issue in Northern Ireland is a bit different but yea Northern Ireland are quite entitled to be pissed off over that.

Is there a reason these lads chose to play for the north at youth level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think the nationality issue in Northern Ireland is a bit different but yea Northern Ireland are quite entitled to be pissed off over that.

To be fair, as a young fella, it makes sense to play in the place you're living if given the opportunity. The rules are the way they are regarding youth players because its more important they get games at that age, rather than worrying too much who they're representing. It's a talent development structure.

I had a buddy who was called up for the Cork underage hurlers, and turned it down cause he considered himself a Clare person. Has said since it's one of the biggest regrets of his life and really halted his development. He should have just gotten games at the highest level he could, when he could, and if Clare came calling then well and good.

Equally, players who consider themselves Irish, but are based somewhere else, are better off taking whatever opportunities for their own personal development they can find. And even if that's ultimately in some cases going to prove to be a negative for that places FA senior team, I think it simply comes with the territory of the duty of care young players are due. And there's also probably no better way to alter someone's sense of identity if they feel 'foreign' than welcoming them into your local setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i think it is because its too awkward for them to travel to Dublin and various other places in the south for games when they are youngsters.

Exactly. It's up to us to worry about ourselves and not worry about Northern Ireland. That's their problem.

They shouldn't pick players they know don't want to be there either. Looks like neither us or them have any backbone.

They don't know they don't want to be there.

If they're asked are they 100 per cent committed of course they're going to say 'yes', even if they intend on 'upgrading' down the line as they would see it.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i think it is because its too awkward for them to travel to Dublin and various other places in the south for games when they are youngsters.

Yeah, Shane Duffy wasn’t allowed to take rides with strangers as a 20 year old that’s why he had to stay with the Northern Ireland under 21s :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, Shane Duffy wasn’t allowed to take rides with strangers as a 20 year old that’s why he had to stay with the Northern Ireland under 21s :rolleyes:

Think you are missing the point about how someone gets involved at youth level and subsequently stays attached for years.

noodler wrote: »
    Think you are missing the point about how someone gets involved at youth level and subsequently stays attached for years.

We are bringing players to Ireland for games from Milan, Munich, Bordeaux and Spain but yeah Shane Duffy, McClean, Gibson and Marc Wilson played for Northern Ireland because traveling south was too problematic. That’s a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Well at least he is honest............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We are bringing players to Ireland for games from Milan, Munich, Bordeaux and Spain but yeah Shane Duffy, McClean, Gibson and Marc Wilson played for Northern Ireland because traveling south was too problematic. That’s a good one.

I can't tell if you are being serious.

These lads didn't start playing at 20/21, at early teens, practicalities come into it.

noodler wrote: »
    I can't tell if you are being serious.

These lads didn't start playing at 20/21, at early teens, practicalities come into it.

Let’s just leave it. It’s not worth it for either of us.

• Advertisement

In most cases those NI kids probably weren't even known to ROI folks at the time. They're offered an international call up by the association they've been playing schoolboy in, recommended by coaches they're worked with already, etc.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In most cases those NI kids probably weren't even known to ROI folks at the time. They're offered an international call up by the association they've been playing schoolboy in, recommended by coaches they're worked with already, etc.

Yep. And they knew playing for Northern Ireland wouldn’t tie them to the country. Like Michael Keane and Jack Grealish.

Yep. And they knew playing for Northern Ireland wouldn’t tie them to the country. Like Michael Keane and Jack Grealish.

Actually, the exact opposite of Michael Keane and Jack Grealish - they were both born and raised in England...

As I said above anyway, i've absolutely no problems with a young player taking whatever opportunities are offered to them to play at a higher level. To do anything else would be bad for their personal development, which is what youth football exists for, above and beyond being a farm for future senior internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Any Irish underage team should only call up players born on the island of Ireland. If an eligible player born abroad decides to declare later on for us then that is fine.

The Grealish and Rice debacle is embarrassing to Irish football and should never be allowed to happen again. As for Duffy, McClean and Gibson, well they should have been involved in the Irish set up all along.

In general, Nationalists in the north want to play for the Republic. English born players with an Irish granny want to play for England. That's the thought process we should follow.

Any Irish underage team should only call up players born on the island of Ireland. If an eligible player born abroad decides to declare later on for us then that is fine.

The Grealish and Rice debacle is embarrassing to Irish football and should never be allowed to happen again. As for Duffy, McClean and Gibson, well they should have been involved in the Irish set up all along.

In general, Nationalists in the north want to play for the Republic. English born players with an Irish granny want to play for England. That's the thought process we should follow.

Paul McGrath - piss off to England ya dirty Brit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Paul McGrath - piss off to England ya dirty Brit

Isn't Paul McGrath a product of the League of Ireland? :confused::confused::confused:

As for Duffy, McClean and Gibson, well they should have been involved in the Irish set up all along.

This makes no sense in any sort of logistical reality. Putting up barriers based around where you're born is pointless and counter productive. Is a lad who moved here at 1, and spent the next 16 years living here less Irish than a lad who was born in Dublin to foreign parents who moved away a few months later, for instance?

If you're entitled to Irish citizenship, then you should be eligible to play. Very simple.

And these notional ideas of getting a 15 year old Northern Irish kid into our system before Northern Ireland have offered him a callup is just unrealistic. We just don't have that sort of scouting network available to do better than the country in which the kid is actually living and playing.

Would be better to just accept the reality that underage internationals are all about gaining ability and experience, and separate the nationalistic jingoism from it altogether. Treat it like a kid getting called up to the development county squad.

Isn't Paul McGrath a product of the League of Ireland? :confused::confused::confused:

You literally said kids that aren't born in Ireland should not be considered for underage teams. Paul McGrath was born in England.

Arbitrary barriers like that don't work, and he's a great example of it. If you're an Irish citizen, you're entitled to play for us.

This makes no sense in any sort of logistical reality. Putting up barriers based around where you're born is pointless and counter productive. Is a lad who moved here at 1, and spent the next 16 years living here less Irish than a lad who was born in Dublin to foreign parents who moved away a few months later, for instance?

If you're entitled to Irish citizenship, then you should be eligible to play. Very simple.

And these notional ideas of getting a 15 year old Northern Irish kid into our system before Northern Ireland have offered him a callup is just unrealistic. We just don't have that sort of scouting network available to do better than the country in which the kid is actually living and playing.

Would be better to just accept the reality that underage internationals are all about gaining ability and experience, and separate the nationalistic jingoism from it altogether. Treat it like a kid getting called up to the development county squad.
    You literally said kids that aren't born in Ireland should not be considered for underage teams. Paul McGrath was born in England.

Arbitrary barriers like that don't work, and he's a great example of it. If you're an Irish citizen, you're entitled to play for us.

I meant someone who is an Irish citizen.

• Advertisement

If you're an Irish citizen, you're entitled to play for us.

Rice and Grealish weren't.

Rice and Grealish weren't.

I believe both are Irish citizens actually. Both have Irish passports and have all the same rights and responsibilities as you or I.

I meant someone who is an Irish citizen.

I’m not entirely sure you understand what citizenship means... as it stands, every player who represents Ireland has to have Irish citizenship via birth, naturalization, or lineage.

Many of our players throughout the years have held dual citizenship.

There's really just no point in trying to put any barriers beyond eligibility for citizenship for our footballers. In a perfect, ideal, alternate reality, we'd have a league of sufficient quality where all our best players were based locally, and playing at a high level in the domestic competitions. But unfortunately that's not our reality. Our reality is that many of our best 16+ year olds get moves abroad. So from there, you have to decide - are you going to scout beyond our shores, or consider them deserters like the Rugby national team does.

As for citizenship eligible versus kids who are already passport holders - the FAI can't know this. They don't have access to who has what passport. They don't know if some kid that was born in Dublin but moved to England at 10 ever bothered signing up for an Irish passport (as until right now, it didnt make sense to go through that, since one EU passport was as good as another - until you get that incredible dream request to represent your country). All they can do is use their contacts to suss out who has an Irish surname, and an Irish parent, or used to live here at some point in the past...

So putting in false, arbitrary barriers in front of what is already a complicated process is only causing problems rather than solving them. Stick with the simple thing of finding the best Irish-eligible players you can, and if someone changes their mind later, so be it. You win some, you lose some, it's really no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

3 points against Gibraltar is no bother it's the Tuesday against Georgia I be worried abt considering they were better than us the last time we played then.
    The squad is the worst I've ever seen especially up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I didnt know this lad Tornike Okriashvili the Georgian who scored against us is currently without a club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ffs Paul Mcgrath was conceived in Ireland and his mother travelled to the UK for the sole purpose of the birth, nothing else. And then
    His father was Nigerian

A couple of days as a baby in London then back to Ireland.

He would not have qualified for English citizenship in the late 50s

People are stupid sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

So putting in false, arbitrary barriers in front of what is already a complicated process is only causing problems rather than solving them. Stick with the simple thing of finding the best Irish-eligible players you can, and if someone changes their mind later, so be it. You win some, you lose some, it's really no big deal.

It kind of is a big deal though if these lads who don't really give a toss about Ireland are just using us displacing lads who actually want to play. Then turn around when they think they're too good for us and basically give us the finger.

What's the point of international football then? If you can train and play with a country up to a certain point and then make the jump somewhere else what is the point? Surely the whole essence of international football and representing your country is lost then?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Sin City wrote: »
    I didnt know this lad Tornike Okriashvili the Georgian who scored against us is currently without a club

Great name. Sends a shudder when a commentator says it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree. If your an Irish citizen and good enough to get picked to play for any age Irish team welcome aboard for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Gonna attempt to predict the lineup to try and get away from all this who's English and Irish/N.Irish ****e that goes on.

Randolph

Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens

McClean
    Hourihane
    Arter
    Hendrick
    Brady

Maguire

Hopefully a comfortable 3/4-0 job to take into the Georgia game. Mon Ireland

I believe both are Irish citizens actually. Both have Irish passports and have all the same rights and responsibilities as you or I.

Do you have any evidence that they are in fact Irish citizens? Or ever expressed a desire to be one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement