Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

1189190191192193195»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We've not won a competitive game since October 2017, if we cant change that on Saturday, we've no hope for the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd like to see the below team, Doherty and Brady pushed up high and McGoldrick probably playing behind Maguire
    Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Doherty Hendrick Hourihane Brady
    McGoldrick Maguire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We've not won a competitive game since October 2017, if we cant change that on Saturday, we've no hope for the Euros.

I think if we lose or draw to the Gibraltarians we should pack it in altogether :)

Looking forward to seeing how we turn out, can't take much out of it due to the level of opposition but be nice to see a few goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The Mig wrote: »
    Gonna attempt to predict the lineup to try and get away from all this who's English and Irish/N.Irish ****e that goes on.

Randolph

Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens

McClean
    Hourihane
    Arter
    Hendrick
    Brady

Maguire

Hopefully a comfortable 3/4-0 job to take into the Georgia game. Mon Ireland

If he leaves out Doherty then I want Kenny straight in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Do you have any evidence that they are in fact Irish citizens? Or ever expressed a desire to be one.

Both have played for Ireland at different levels. You have to be an Irish citizen to do that. You need to have an Irish passport to do that. A passport issued by any country is absolute proof of citizenship, as only citizens are entitled to receive and can have one.

sonic85 wrote: »
    It kind of is a big deal though if these lads who don't really give a toss about Ireland are just using us displacing lads who actually want to play. Then turn around when they think they're too good for us and basically give us the finger.

What's the point of international football then? If you can train and play with a country up to a certain point and then make the jump somewhere else what is the point? Surely the whole essence of international football and representing your country is lost then?

I agree we should be looking for people who are serious about playing for us. But the way to do that is not to put up arbitrary barriers which can only serve to block players from all sorts of backgrounds and contexts that are desperate to play for us.

We should be looking at it from the other perspective - keep our options open in terms of who is eligible, and then simply talk to them. Meet ( or at least get on the phone with) a good young player you’re considering, and chat... hear his story. Give him a chance to convince you. And add this into your decision making process beside their talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The Mig wrote: »
    Gonna attempt to predict the lineup to try and get away from all this who's English and Irish/N.Irish ****e that goes on.

Randolph

Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens

McClean
    Hourihane
    Arter
    Hendrick
    Brady

Maguire

Hopefully a comfortable 3/4-0 job to take into the Georgia game. Mon Ireland

Would genuinely be amazed if he goes with that team.

Would expect it'll be this..

Would genuinely be amazed if he goes with that team.

Would expect it'll be this..

Would be interested to see that team in action.

Mostly though, whatever team lines up, I just want to see us actually play football. Pass and move and exhibit a bit of guile and craft. Would love to see Maguire in a team playing to his strengths - and if we dont try to play a bit of football again Gibraltar, we never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I would rest Maguire for Tuesday with his hamstring problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I actually think Hendrick is dining on past glories. Admittedly the whole team have been poor over the past 18 months, but I think he needs a couple of good performances in the first two games. Browne, Hourihane, Arter are all viable options to replace him (when fit and available).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Hope we get to see Alan judge in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Left field selection for ****s and giggles, but they have been practicing 3421 in training so will use that formation.

.............................Kieran Westwood

..............John Egan - Shane Duffy - Enda Stevens

................Doherty - Arter - Hourihane - Brady

...................Sean Maguire - Alan Judge

..................................McGoldrick

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

brilou23 wrote: »
    I would rest Maguire for Tuesday with his hamstring problems.

Guy wasn't in our plans a year ago now this jaysus
    We have no strikers that's our biggest problem our u19s and 21s look better in this area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I never cease to be mind boggled every time I see Brady's name appear in people's starting 11.

Is it some form of Stockholm syndrome?

Zico ! wrote: »
    We have no strikers that's our biggest problem our u19s and 21s look better in this area

U21s are just as poor if not worse when you take out the guys that are still under age for the u19s. U19s have a serious amount of talent when it comes to strikers, even Michael Obafemi is still technically an u19s player until the summer. Serious lack of talent up front among those born in 1998 and 1999 in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'd like to see the below team, Doherty and Brady pushed up high and McGoldrick probably playing behind Maguire
    Randolph
    McGoldrick Maguire

I'd put Arter in for Hendrick. Such a pity Browne isn't available, as he is just what we need a scoring midfielder.
    Hendrick has been awful for us and Burnley since Euro 2016. I'd drop him as a wake up call, and show him he is not a guaranteed starter just cos he is at a premier League side.
    Brady/McClean is almost a 50/50 due to Bradys bad form too since injury, but i'd go for him just for set pieces alone. McClean is always a decent impact sub.

Hourihane is a much better set piece taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hourihane is a much better set piece taker.
    I know, but Brady adds more from crossing as well as being an option from set pieces too. I just prefer McClean as an impact sub. Hourihane needs to do a bit more in general play though to become a regular I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Brady hasn't been a set piece option for years, he's absolutely terrible on the whole at them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Zico ! wrote: »

There is always Anthony Stokes. .............hearing he is good with his head lately

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

You know with all this talk about Brady and his set piece ability not being there anymore that he'll go and score a set-piece tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

If it wasn’t for Brady’s setpiece ability and crossing he’d be playing for bray wanderers. There all he has that separated him from a average lower league player. If he’s lost that he’s not much use to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Stevecw wrote: »
    Randolph
    McGoldrick Maguire

I'd put Arter in for Hendrick. Such a pity Browne isn't available, as he is just what we need a scoring midfielder.
    Hendrick has been awful for us and Burnley since Euro 2016. I'd drop him as a wake up call, and show him he is not a guaranteed starter just cos he is at a premier League side.
    Brady/McClean is almost a 50/50 due to Bradys bad form too since injury, but i'd go for him just for set pieces alone. McClean is always a decent impact sub.
    Arter has been terrible for us as well though. think Hendrick offers more going forward which is what we need against Gibralter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Will Maguire play on a plastic pitch with his injury proneness ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Sin City wrote: »
    Will Maguire play on a plastic pitch with his injury proneness ?

I'd say he will be saved for the Georgia game on Tuesday, might get some minutes off the bench tomorrow

I can't see him being risked for both games either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems to be a load of ticket competitions for the Georgia match, between Late Late giveway for the audience and lots of social media competitions. Will be interesting to see turnout on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If it wasn’t for Brady’s setpiece ability and crossing he’d be playing for bray wanderers. There all he has that separated him from a average lower league player. If he’s lost that he’s not much use to us.

OTT nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement