Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Randolph has really turned into a key player for us this campaign. I had my doubts about him when he first came into the team but he's been excellent (especially since after the Euros).

His save from Grillitsch in the Austria home game just before we equalised was huge. Had we lost there, it's very unlikely we would have made the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ignoring (and neither agreeing or disagreeing with your overall post), I was just want to pull you up on that point.

Mourinho was criticised, and highly in some quarters for the approach to the Liverpool game, both by fans and media.

He had no interest, really, in winning that game against a Pool team that were leaking silly goals with a team that was well able to take it to the opposition.

Anfield or not, it is 11 v 11 and he should have shown a bit less caution in that game.

It's just a sidepoint. Club football in a league, especially so early in a season, is a completely different dynamic than qualifying group international football, never mind playoffs
    Neither did Klopp for that matter. Mourinho was waiting for Klopp to go for it around the hour mark with the intention of hitting them on the break. Klopp didn’t bite and it ended in a draw. There will have to be a winner on Tuesday night though

spock. wrote: »
    Randolph has really turned into a key player for us this campaign. I had my doubts about him when he first came into the team but he's been excellent (especially since after the Euros).

His save from Grillitsch in the Austria home game just before we equalised was huge. Had we lost there, it's very unlikely we would have made the playoffs.
    I think he was very unlucky to lose his place at West Ham to Joe Hart. He’s a much better keeper than Hart but he doesn’t have England caps or do ads for head and shoulders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think he was very unlucky to lose his place at West Ham to Joe Hart. He’s a much better keeper than Hart but he doesn’t have England caps or do ads for head and shoulders

Thought he looked dodgy enough for West ham last season tbh. Haven't seen him for Boro.

Can't question his international performances though.

noodler wrote: »
    Thought he looked dodgy enough for West ham last season tbh. Haven't seen him for Boro.

Can't question his international performances though.
    Hart has been erratic as usual for them since he’s been there. Randolph is a more dependable keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He had a very poor last 6 months with West Ham last season. He has played well for Ireland definitely and looks solid but he's not better than Joe Hart. I think we get a little excitable about International performances and equate that to a players overall, continuous form, which a lot of the time is quite different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Mourinho was criticised, and highly in some quarters for the approach to the Liverpool game, both by fans and media.

I knew i wasnt imagining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Neither did Klopp for that matter. Mourinho was waiting for Klopp to go for it around the hour mark with the intention of hitting them on the break. Klopp didn’t bite and it ended in a draw. There will have to be a winner on Tuesday night though

We were talking about Jose. He didn't get much praise for the Pool game, like the OP suggested. He allowed Klopp tactics dictate proceedings and ,awaiting Klopp to change approach, (whilst Pool were peppering Uniteds goal with almost 20 shots), isn't exactly something admirable like the OP seemed to suggest.

Klopp didn't need to bite, he done his part, his team were doing what they had to do, score, and, but for their wastefulness in front of goal and De Gea's performance, United got out of jail with those tactics.

Anyway, potentially derailing exchange here, but just thought I would pull him up on that post

We were talking about Jose. He didn't get much praise for the Pool game, like the OP suggested. He allowed Klopp tactics dictate proceedings and ,awaiting Klopp to change approach, (whilst Pool were peppering Uniteds goal with almost 20 shots), isn't exactly something admirable like the OP seemed to suggest.

Klopp didn't need to bite, he done his part, his team were doing what they had to do, score, and, but for their wastefulness in front of goal and De Gea's performance, United got out of jail with those tactics.
    It was 0-0 on the hour mark Klopp made a like for like substitution. He didn’t go for it, he didn’t bite and he ended up with a draw. He settled for the draw rather than risking it to go for the win.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    He had a very poor last 6 months with West Ham last season. He has played well for Ireland definitely and looks solid but he's not better than Joe Hart. I think we get a little excitable about International performances and equate that to a players overall form, which a lot of the time is quite different.
    I disagree I think he’s more dependable than Hart. Hart might be more spectacular and talented but I’d prefer a dependable keeper any day to a talented but erratic and error prone keeper like Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This simply isnt true he had a shocling last 6 months at westham , He was lucky bot to lose his place to Adrian , he made a howler at Anfeild and a few more after that ,
    He hasnt put a foot wrong for Ireland and deserves to be number 1 but he wasnt good for Westham

This simply isnt true he had a shocling last 6 months at westham , He was lucky bot to lose his place to Adrian , he made a howler at Anfeild and a few more after that ,
    He hasnt put a foot wrong for Ireland and deserves to be number 1 but he wasnt good for Westham
    He’s a better more dependable keeper than Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I disagree I think he’s more dependable than Hart. Hart might be more spectacular and talented but I’d prefer a dependable keeper any day to a talented but erratic and error prone keeper like Hart

That's fair enough, that's your opinion. Randolph had a fair few errors for West Ham last season, but was playing fine for Ireland at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

As I said in the matchday thread, I think we're in a little bit of trouble not going for that away goal.

Score draw or Denmark win and they're through. 0-0 or an Irish win and we're through.

For that reason, Denmark are in the driving seat for me. They get an early goal and we're on the backfoot looking for two.

Bearing in mind, we've scored 2 or more only 7 times in the past 27 competitive games over the past 4 years.

Against Georgia, Gibraltar twice, Moldova twice, Serbia in that 2-2 draw and Bosnia in the play offs for the Euros.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

He really isnt buddy
    There is a reason he didnt finish the as first choice and they went looking for a keeper in the first place

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »
    He really isnt buddy
    There is a reason he didnt finish the as first choice and they went looking for a keeper in the first place
    He’s better than Hart bud, more dependable, not that that would be hard

He’s a better more dependable keeper than Hart

Just so wrong, you have actually nothing to back this up at all
    Hart is a top keeper, Randolph is a decent keeper.
    This is just a stupid point you are trying to make since he made loads of mistakes last season when he was starting for West Ham

He’s better than Hart bud, more dependable, not that that would be hard

:rolleyes: Sure he is

Just so wrong, you have actually nothing to back this up at all
    Hart is a top keeper, Randolph is a decent keeper.
    This is just a stupid point you are trying to make since he made loads of mistakes last season when he was starting for West Ham
    Gibberish

Gibberish

Ah so you dont actually have a argument or facts, just the usual Citizen nonsense. Cool
    Im think youve never watched either Hart or Randolph at West Ham tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was home nice and early as got early flight back.

Was hoping we would nick a goal, but while we were god awful first 30 minutes we grew into game. 2nd half was much close and Denmark just nicked it but overall a good point.

0-0 might not be a super result, but had you told me before the Wales game to get us there we would need to beat Denmark at home I have taken that all day.

I thought the crowd were great again. We sang our hearts out.

COYBIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

i cant see much hope on Tuesday
    The managment only know one way and thast defend and have absolutley no plan for when we get the ball ,
    We defend well and just hope for a stroke of luck ,
    They won't have a clue how to approach Tuesday ,
    If we do manage to win , How do people think wed play in the finals ?
    We are hearthbreaking to watch under MON

100% agree. We defend like warriors and hope for some luck to get a goal. Luck is not a tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Was home nice and early as got early flight back.

Was hoping we would nick a goal, but while we were god awful first 30 minutes we grew into game. 2nd half was much close and Denmark just nicked it but overall a good point

0-0 might not be a super result, but had you told me before the Wales game to get us there we would need to beat Denmark at home I have taken that all day.

I thought the crowd were great again. We sang our hearts out.

COYBIG

There's no points on offer. We're just in a situation where we have to score or face pens and can't afford to concede one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Randolph has been great for Ireland.
    There are other positions i'd bring up before GK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Imagine a penalty shootout though. Kilbane's back pass pen in '02 is probably 2nd only to that Istanbul farcical second half collapse in my all time most sickening fan moments.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Imagine a penalty shootout though. Kilbane's back pass pen in '02 is probably 2nd only to that Istanbul farcical second half collapse in my all time most sickening fan moments.

Ian Harte for me, thank god for Robbie

Rekop dog wrote: »

Weird one tbh.

I have Cyprus, Georgia, Faroe Islands up there ahead of the way someone took a penalty in a shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/KobenhavnPoliti/status/929572785697054720

Rough translation.

"Viewed from a police point of view, Ireland is welcome again to play in the Park. No recorded episodes of football fans in the nightlife. Thank you. "

Ah so you dont actually have a argument or facts, just the usual Citizen nonsense. Cool
    Im think youve never watched either Hart or Randolph at West Ham tbh
    Lol. You’re accusing me of not backing up an argument while simply stating your opinion as fact yourself. It just an opinion pal,I prefer someone like Randolph over Hart as a keeper because I view him as more dependable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://twitter.com/KobenhavnPoliti/status/929572785697054720

Rough translation.

"Viewed from a police point of view, Ireland is welcome again to play in the Park. No recorded episodes of football fans in the nightlife. Thank you. "

Pity about the gobshytes hanging around outside women’s lingerie stores.

• Advertisement

Lol. You’re accusing me of not backing up an argument while simply stating your opinion as fact yourself. It just an opinion pal,I prefer someone like Randolph over Hart as a keeper because I view him as more dependable.

It is fact, watch Randolph for West Ham maybe and you will see why he was shipped of to Boro
    You can prefer him all you like, but dont try claim him to be something hes not as well thats just stupid
    Have a google of how much Golden Gloves Hart has one compared to Randolph for example.
    I like Randolph but if we could have Hart i'd take him in a heart beat as hes better at every facet of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Makes a change from McClean bashing anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Cl4V5eFXIAAo55E.jpg

Joe Hart hasn’t a patch on this lad :D

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Pity about the gobshytes hanging around outside women’s lingerie stores.

Feckin priests again Ted. :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Makes a change from McClean bashing anyways.

Im sorry buddy if i dont rate Irish players as high as others but come on ffs lets be realistic
    I'm a big fan of Randolph for Ireland, i dont think ive ever actually bashed him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

noodler wrote: »
    Weird one tbh.

I have Cyprus, Georgia, Faroe Islands up there ahead of the way someone took a penalty in a shootout.

There was more on the line in the Spain match. It was probably the worst World Cup standard wise in living memory and had we got through we'd have faced South Korea in the quarters.

His penalty was among the worst I've ever seen taken. Must have been severe jelly legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Feckin priests again Ted. :pac:

They heard it was the biggest lingerie section in Denmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Whats the feeling for tuesday? Im really starting to think Holohan needs to start and take free kicks and corners for us to create anything.

Id have brady dropped if im honest. At least we have something on the bench then.

Murphy to start again with long on for last 25 mins or so.

Meyler back in the first XI will be the only change. Wes to come on only if we're down a goal or if we're going to penos.

Home or away is no odds to MON in terms of ambition or tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Has anyone heard anything about Liam Miller being seriously ill? I saw someone on a Sunderland thread mention it but can't find much else, which is hopefully a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Meyler back in the first XI will be the only change. Wes to come on only if we're down a goal or if we're going to penos.

Home or away is no odds to MON in terms of ambition or tactics.

Mystifying playing for pens at home.

I think he might just try and catch the danes on the hope and go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

@smelly sock

O'Neill doesn't rate this squad any higher than Trap did. Probably less so now that Robbie has departed the scene. I'm sure he'd be delighted with a 1-0, but he'll settle for the shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Whats the feeling for tuesday? Im really starting to think Holohan needs to start and take free kicks and corners for us to create anything.

Id have brady dropped if im honest. At least we have something on the bench then.

Brady dropped? Not a chance. Amount of defensive work he does starts him definitely.

Jesus, that's awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My team would be:

Randolph

--Christie
    Duffy
    Clark
    Ward--

Meyler
    Arter

Brady
    Hoolahan
    McClean--

Long

Hendrick, O'Dowda and Murphy would drop out as I don't think they offered a lot in the first leg. Meyler, Hoolahan and Long would come in.

I actually think what MON may do is go 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) since he did this against Italy in the must-win game. That would see Meyler and one of Hendrick/Arter in the centre, with Brady on the right and McClean on the left. Long and Murphy up top on their own. Hoolahan used as a late sub.

Hoolahan might start this time. MON won't want it to stay 0-0. The longer it stays 0-0, the more Denmark's chance increases. If they go one up into the second half it will be too late for us to do anything about it. It's in Ireland's interests to break the deadlock as early as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Wow first I've heard of that. Hope there's no truth to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Ian Harte for me, thank god for Robbie

Thought Harte struck his okay it was just a good save from Casillas. The rebound miss from Kilbane was probably worse. Shay Given wanted to take a peno but Packie wouldnt let him. If he just stood still he would have saved Iniestas weak attempt easily.

weadick wrote: »
    Thought Harte struck his okay it was just a good save from Casillas. The rebound miss from Kilbane was probably worse. Shay Given wanted to take a peno but Packie wouldnt let him. If he just stood still he would have saved Iniestas weak attempt easily.
    Had Given stood still he'd probably have saved three of Spain's penalties.
    I hate the way keepers dive and make it easy for the kicker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement