Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Wow first I've heard of that. Hope there's no truth to this.

Seems to be alot of talk on twitter saying the same. Hopefully no truth in it. Remember he scored a screamer against Sweden in Stans first game, probably the highlight of his career in an Ireland shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Oh. Jesus, that's shocking news. Hadn't heard anything. Was still basking in glow of last night's result...but that really puts the whole thing in perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Holy God, that is shockingly sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can't see Wes Hoolihan starting on Tuesday. I'd say if he features at all then it will be the last 20 minutes. Hopefully we will go out and attack and get the crowd roaring from the off but knowing MON it will be another cagey "don't concede" affair. I think we could win 2 nil if we went at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Holy God, that is shockingly sad.

Hopefully no truth in it. Really puts football into perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Twitter seems to be highly speculative on it, everyone saying how sad it is but there doesn't seem to be one concrete source where it started.
    People don't need any sort of reliable information to believe these type of things these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Twitter seems to be highly speculative on it, everyone saying how sad it is but there doesn't seem to be one concrete source where it started.
    People don't need any sort of reliable information to believe these type of things these days.

Yeah seems to be just one random unknown source on an internet forum saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Polish referee on Tuesday. Hardly do us any harm considering the sizable Polish population living here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

paulie21 wrote: »
    Polish referee on Tuesday. Hardly do us any harm considering the sizable Polish population living here

That’s what Mrs Evans thought about having a Romanian ref. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Anybody see any changes other than Meyler for O’Dowda?. Murphy will start ahead of Long and rightly so it is good to have Long and Wes to come on at tired legs but I still can’t see Wes starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anybody see any changes other than Meyler for O’Dowda?. Murphy will start ahead of Long and rightly so it is good to have Long and Wes to come on at tired legs but I still can’t see Wes starting.

I still wonder if Murphy has two games like that in him coming so close together.

The only other change I think will be seriously contemplated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MON could very easily start the exact same team on Tuesday then change things in the second half to try and get the win.

MON could very easily start the exact same team on Tuesday then change things in the second half to try and get the win.

Meyler aside I assume you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Brego888 wrote: »
    “They play incredibly primitive, and they’re very good at it,” Denmark’s captain Simon Kjaer said after Saturday’s 0-0 draw.

I have to laugh at this bit from the Danish captain. He has a brass neck claiming Ireland play "primitive football", it's not like Denmark were a team displaying sophisticated cutting edge football.

Hareide was delighted with 0-0. He's very much a pragmatic coach in the MON mould. I fancy MON and our team to outwit that old chancer Hareide and his conservative outfit.

Whichever team wins will be going to Russia and Denmark won't care if it's "primitive" football if they win but they'll complain about "primitive" football if they lose. They have a cheek. Best way to deal with them is to knock them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Home matches against Serbia, Austria and Wales were such huge matches at the time and we didn't pull a really good performance out of the bag in any of them.

Same with Euro 2016 with the home matches against Poland, Scotland and even the Germany game was a terrible performance despite the result.

But we still pulled it out of the bag against Bosnia on the really really big night and they were ranked in a similar position to where Denmark are now

I think not getting a 1-1 draw as opposed to a 0-0 draw will work in our favor. Sets the agenda much more clearly. I think we'll pull a performance out of the bag tomorrow night.

It'll really come down to who scores first though - especially if it's them!

• Advertisement

Be great if he actually tells Randolph to occasionally play it to a CB instead of hoofing it.
    I wouldn't mind, the midfield that played on Saturday on paper was decent.
    It was just never was used.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Be great if he actually tells Randolph to occasionally play it to a CB instead of hoofing it.
    I wouldn't mind, the midfield that played on Saturday on paper was decent.
    It was just never was used.

I would like to see the percentage of turnovers when Randolph does use this hoofing tactic, it has reaped a tad bit of benefit on occasion and it does relieve some pressure but it is predictable at this stage and the opposing team will more likely than not counter again quickly which defeats it.

Needs to mix that up, Christie and Ward aren't bad on the ball either so a bit more trust in them building from defence may be a good move.

Randolph is not a footballer like some keepers are. passing wise but I am sure he could surprise the opponent on occasion with a short ball out to the wing and work from there.

I think having Long back (hopefully) will add more merit to those punt outs though as he has a good first touch, able to win it in the air, hold it up and win a free.
    Murphy looked absolutely knackered trying to chase down passes between the centre backs and goalie, Long has much more of an engine in that respect and will put a bit of pressure on them and force them into a lot more long balls which are Duffy and Clarke will gobble up all day.

Hendrick needs to push forward also when Danes are trying to build from the back.

And McClean, hopefully, will have the burden now of that yellow card off his mind and be a bit more, well "McCleany", if you get me.

They are not a great team, in any way..

Apparently Kasper Schmeichael had a big baring on how they play. Up until last year they tried to play total football and were very attractive to watch but the results didn't match. Kasper met with the coach for crises meetings and they changed to a more direct agricultural approach and their results improved greatly.

What's left now are two sides who play a very pragmatic low risk style and the 0-0 was no great surprise. A repeat is very possible and could well be pens in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Apparently Kasper Schmeichael had a big baring on how they play. Up until last year they tried to play total football and were very attractive to watch but the results didn't match. Kasper met with the coach for crises meetings and they changed to a more direct agricultural approach and their results improved greatly.

What's left now are two sides who play a very pragmatic low risk style and the 0-0 was no great surprise. A repeat is very possible and could well be pens in Dublin.

I'm one of the lucky ones to get a ticket for tomorrow evening but I don't think I could handle penalties.

Not sure who'd even take them tbh, Brady, Long/Murphy, Wes (if he's on the pitch), Hendrick, Arter?

I'm one of the lucky ones to get a ticket for tomorrow evening but I don't think I could handle penalties.

Not sure who'd even take them tbh, Brady, Long/Murphy, Wes (if he's on the pitch), Hendrick, Arter?

You never know who fancies it. Brady for sure,after that it's anyone's guess.

Duff and Quinn shirked the responsibility against Spain so it's not always the obvious ones who step up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You never know who fancies it. Brady for sure,after that it's anyone's guess.

Duff and Quinn shirked the responsibility against Spain so it's not always the obvious ones who step up.

I don't think that's shirking responsibility, it shows a maturity to let someone perceived as better than them to take the penalties.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Quinn scored a hat trick of penalties when playing a Junior B GAA game a few years back against my local club!

He went up to the keeper, in Mother Theresa Quinn mode at the end of the game and said, "hard luck, I am sure you would have liked to save one of those."

Neil (the keeper) replied "F*ck off with your niceties, you wouldn't take one against Spain, would you!"

I would like to see the percentage of turnovers when Randolph does use this hoofing tactic, it has reaped a tad bit of benefit on occasion and it does relieve some pressure but it is predictable at this stage and the opposing team will more likely than not counter again quickly which defeats it.

Needs to mix that up, Christie and Ward aren't bad on the ball either so a bit more trust in them building from defence may be a good move.

Randolph is not a footballer like some keepers are. passing wise but I am sure he could surprise the opponent on occasion with a short ball out to the wing and work from there.

I think having Long back (hopefully) will add more merit to those punt outs though as he has a good first touch, able to win it in the air, hold it up and win a free.
    Murphy looked absolutely knackered trying to chase down passes between the centre backs and goalie, Long has much more of an engine in that respect and will put a bit of pressure on them and force them into a lot more long balls which are Duffy and Clarke will gobble up all day.

Hendrick needs to push forward also when Danes are trying to build from the back.

And McClean, hopefully, will have the burden now of that yellow card off his mind and be a bit more, well "McCleany", if you get me.

They are not a great team, in any way..
    Erikson pulled out of a challenge when he saw James coming at him in Copenhagen and that was with a possible suspension for tomorrow’s game hanging over him if he got a yellow. He can pick up a yellow with impunity tomorrow night.

I don't think that's shirking responsibility, it shows a maturity to let someone perceived as better than them to take the penalties.

In my view a striker should never step aside from taking one in a shout-out. It's literally their job. Unless there's 5 others who take them for their clubs in the side but that's rarely the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Laois_Man wrote: »

I think not getting a 1-1 draw as opposed to a 0-0 draw will work in our favor. Sets the agenda much more clearly. I think we'll pull a performance out of the bag tomorrow night.

1-1 would have been so much better than a 0-0. Not getting the away goal now means if Denmark score we've gotta score twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that is interesting, as its something many of us here speculate on but dont actually know the answer too. i.e. MON or Trap style v actually trying to play some possession football...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If someone had told me before Wales game that a 1 off game v Denmark and we go Russia I would have bitten the hand off.

I think it's still slight advantage to Denmark, but never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

noodler wrote: »

I still wonder if Murphy has two games like that in him coming so close together.

The only other change I think will be seriously contemplated.

It is definitely a factor, especially as it may even go to extra time.
    We badly ran out of steam v France last summer, after making no changes from the Italy match. 3 days between matches is not a lot. For example the North made 4 changes for last night.
    Meyler will come back in, but Wes, Long, even Whelan would all be possiblities to come in - with whoever drops out being contenders to come on later.
    Hendrick looked injured (?) and Arter looked pretty shattered when they came off in Copenhagen, and Hendrick had been an injury doubt before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Its slight advantage Denmark tomorrow because they're a better team than us not because saturdays result was poor. It was very good in fact. No one of danish or neutral viewpoints really thought we were going to come away with it all square.

Obviously 1-1 would've been better, well done to all who worked that out. It also would've been better if we'd won. Or qualified automatically. There's also a very strong chance we could lose in Denmark more times than not. But living in the real world I would hope most supporters can see how that result was more beneficial to our cause than negative. If it had been 0-0 in Dublin and we were going over there having to sneak a result to qualify we'd be in a much worse situation than a one off home tie to qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

I read a stat in the Examiner today that we scored 4 home goals in 5 group matches, whereas Danes scored 10 away from home. Very likely they'll score tomorrow, and for us to score two or more is a massive ask.

To bring in Wes, whose creatvity we must have, I'd put Brady at left-back in this line-up:
    Randolph
    Christie, Duffy, Clark, Brady
    Meyler (captain), Arter
    Hendrick, Hoolahan, McClean
    Long

Planned changes (unless injuries intervene): McGeady for Hoolahan, Murphy for Long if we're ahead/for Arter or Henrdrick if we're not.

I thought they were fairly useless against us, especially as they were the home side and hyped up a bit! Half of me says go for the pragmatic approach, the other says go with hoolahan and tear into them from the get go...

marbless wrote: »
    I read a stat in the Examiner today that we scored 4 home goals in 5 group matches, whereas Danes scored 10 away from home. Very likely they'll score tomorrow, and for us to score two or more is a massive ask.

To bring in Wes, whose creatvity we must have, I'd put Brady at left-back in this line-up:
    Randolph
    Christie, Duffy, Clark, Brady
    Meyler (captain), Arter
    Hendrick, Hoolahan, McClean
    Long

Planned changes (unless injuries intervene): McGeady for Hoolahan, Murphy for Long if we're ahead/for Arter or Henrdrick if we're not.

They also scored 10 at home but rarely looked like breaking us down in Copenhagen so I'm not sure how relevant the point is.

We're going to approach this like we do all our matches and what's brought us plenty of success in MON era, i.e with extreme caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

If someone told me before the Denmark game that I could bite their hand off, I would have bitten their hand off.

Lads, can we retire this phrase. It's the "permutations" of last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

They also scored 10 at home but rarely looked like breaking us down in Copenhagen so I'm not sure how relevant the point is.
    Aviva is a bigger pitch with a better surface (even after the rugby) that should suit Danes. And we struggle more at home than away.

Aviva is a bigger pitch with a better surface (even after the rugby) that should suit Danes. And we struggle more at home than away.

In this campaign yes but if you combine competitive games over the two campaigns under MON we've a better win rate and ppg at home than we do away which is a bigger simple size and fairer way to assess.

• Advertisement

Do the usual I think and cynically defend for the first 65/70 minutes, doing what it takes to keep a clean sheet, then throw on Wes for the last 25 mins to confuse the Danes a bit and hopefully nick a goal and avoid extra time where I can't see us winning. The Danes will come out firing knowing a goal for them probably wins it and that they can afford to absorb a goal from us if we score early enough. James McClean to have an incredible performance.

Why would it suit the Danes more than us? There is no evidence that they are a better footballing side than us. On paper perhaps we have no one like Erickson playing at a top tier EPL side but in reality there style of play is no more expansive or creative than ours is. We’re the home team we have that advantage over them.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why would it suit the Danes more than us? There is no evidence that they are a better footballing side than us. On paper perhaps we have no one like Erickson playing at a top tier EPL side but in reality there style of play is no more expansive or creative than ours is. We’re the home team we have that advantage over them.

You got that one right.

?

Really? you can't bring hypothetical analysis into equation. But based on their respective performances over the campaign (from what we have heard from most sources) it is clear they are a better "footballing" side at the minute. That is the only evidence we can go on.

We have plenty of strengths over them also and they have as many weaknesses but as a creative side, and on the ball, they clearly are somewhat superior to us. Or have been, and were the last day out.

Obviously, we all know that we are capable of greater things, on the ball, that we have shown, but going by evidence versus potential and hypothetical contemplation, the Danes have shown, as a team, they are better footballing team. twice the possession, 3 times as many passes, 5 times as many completed passes, plenty more shots

They are not an intimidating team. Give me them over Wales and Serbia as an opponent any day (and we know their standards weren't great throughout the campaign either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Could come back to bite us in the arse on Tuesday not getting an away goal tonight.

Very true we could get knocked out on the away goals rule no doubt about it. But there is no question going to Denmark and getting a 0-0 draw was a very good result for us. A score draw sure would have been better but getting a 0-0 draw at least gives us a fighting chance tomorrow night as we don't start the game having to chase a deficit which given the lack of goals in this Irish team would be a real mountain to climb.

yeah in relation to the above post. imagine we had lost over there and had to "go for it" from the get go. With space etc they score one and the tie is over...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah in relation to the above post. imagine we had lost over there and had to "go for it" from the get go. With space etc they score one and the tie is over...

Agreed and I really don't think we will see a massively different approach from us tomorrow night either. Certainly I do not see us going for it so to speak. As long as the game is still 0-0 we will play a tight game looking for a set piece or a counter attack.

Wonder what the approach will be if we manage to score early eg. first 15 minutes. Trying to keep Denmark from scoring for the rest of the game will be extremely difficult. Going for a second goal is unnatural to us and opens us up to concede. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Wonder what the approach will be if we manage to score early eg. first 15 minutes. Trying to keep Denmark from scoring for the rest of the game will be extremely difficult. Going for a second goal is unnatural to us and opens us up to concede. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

I don't see that happening but if it did I think that would just make us double down on trying to keep the game tight and only looking for a second off a set piece or a counter attack.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I have to laugh at this bit from the Danish captain. He has a brass neck claiming Ireland play "primitive football", it's not like Denmark were a team displaying sophisticated cutting edge football.

Hareide was delighted with 0-0. He's very much a pragmatic coach in the MON mould. I fancy MON and our team to outwit that old chancer Hareide and his conservative outfit.

Whichever team wins will be going to Russia and Denmark won't care if it's "primitive" football if they win but they'll complain about "primitive" football if they lose. They have a cheek. Best way to deal with them is to knock them out.

Have to agree with you here, neither teams were exactly Barcelona. Never understand comments like this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement