Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

irishman86 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you here, neither teams were exactly Barcelona. Never understand comments like this

Why don't you understand these comments? Denmark were poor and I bet they out numbered forward ground successful passes by a good few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Nalz wrote: »
    Why don't you understand these comments? Denmark were poor and I bet they out numbered forward ground successful passes by a good few.

They may well have but in the end the tactics were hoof it into the box. Neither team played attractive football. They may have played better but it wasnt good football

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

?

Really? you can't bring hypothetical analysis into equation. But based on their respective performances over the campaign (from what we have heard from most sources) it is clear they are a better "footballing" side at the minute. That is the only evidence we can go on.

We have plenty of strengths over them also and they have as many weaknesses but as a creative side, and on the ball, they clearly are somewhat superior to us. Or have been, and were the last day out.

Obviously, we all know that we are capable of greater things, on the ball, that we have shown, but going by evidence versus potential and hypothetical contemplation, the Danes have shown, as a team, they are better footballing team. twice the possession, 3 times as many passes, 5 times as many completed passes, plenty more shots

They are not an intimidating team. Give me them over Wales and Serbia as an opponent any day (and we know their standards weren't great throughout the campaign either)
    In the match the other night they had most possession and more chances, but they were the home team. We had a couple of spells of possession and created one or two half chances as well. At no point did it look like we were going to be overrun. There isn’t a huge gulf in terms of footballing ability.

I’ve seen this Ireland team under MON play good football when required on several occasions, they will need to take the initiative tomorrow and they’ve shown they’re capable of that. Denmark and their coach were happy to settle for a 0-0 draw at home, we’ll see if they regret that tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Quinn scored a hat trick of penalties when playing a Junior B GAA game a few years back against my local club!

He went up to the keeper, in Mother Theresa Quinn mode at the end of the game and said, "hard luck, I am sure you would have liked to save one of those."

Neil (the keeper) replied "F*ck off with your niceties, you wouldn't take one against Spain, would you!"

Reminds me of the time Roy Keane was sent off against Sunderland. Early in the season. Just after Saipan. And Quinn who was playing for Sunderland comes over to put the arm around Keane and walk him off the pitch and Alex Ferguson went ape****....saw it for what it was, Quinn putting on his disingenuous show for the public!

It is definitely a factor, especially as it may even go to extra time.
    We badly ran out of steam v France last summer, after making no changes from the Italy match. 3 days between matches is not a lot. For example the North made 4 changes for last night.
    Meyler will come back in, but Wes, Long, even Whelan would all be possiblities to come in - with whoever drops out being contenders to come on later.
    Hendrick looked injured (?) and Arter looked pretty shattered when they came off in Copenhagen, and Hendrick had been an injury doubt before the game.

Well at least this time we are also playing against a team that has had only a 3-day recovery. France had a whole week before their Euro 2016 quarter final against us...and even at that, their last group game against Switzerland was a dead-rubber in terms of getting to the quarter finals. So they really had nearly two weeks coz neither team were arsed in that game

• Advertisement

I don't think that's shirking responsibility, it shows a maturity to let someone perceived as better than them to take the penalties.
    Every one of them should be mentally up for the game tomorrow and that includes taking a penalty if required.

Duff? Didn't like his attitude on the panel the other night. Also he went to Newcastle towards the end of his career. He didn't make the most of his talent. He's a shíte pundit as well, afraid to disagree with Dunphy/Brady.

I'm no fan of Sadlier but at least he stood up to Dunphy or argued with him at times. Cunningham I like as a pundit, would argue with Dunphy when needed.

Pat Bonner I think would be good, comes across as a 'nice guy' but he'd sort out Brady/Dunphy and their little clique on RTE. He wouldn't be desperate to be pals with them to keep getting work from RTE, he has gigs with BBC Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Denmark and their coach were happy to settle for a 0-0 draw at home, we’ll see if they regret that tomorrow night.

Well seeing as Ireland's game plan is sit back and wait for teams to make mistakes you wouldn't blame them at 70mins to say right no point going all out to get a goal now and play right into the hands of Ireland's game plan giving them the chance to catch us on the counter for the away goal.

0-0 suited them more than it suited us knowing one goal in Dublin makes it harder for us and no chance of extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

I like Brady on the panel but it was ridiculous him castigating Ireland for playing ugly football when he sat on the bench with Trap for two years and defended him to the hilt even after the shambles of Euro 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

weadick wrote: »
    I like Brady on the panel but it was ridiculous him castigating Ireland for playing ugly football when he sat on the bench with Trap for two years and defended him to the hilt even after the shambles of Euro 2012.
    Yes. Loved Brady as a player. As a pundit he's two-faced.

I don't think that's shirking responsibility, it shows a maturity to let someone perceived as better than them to take the penalties.

Have you forgotten Kevin Kilbane took one?
    Was Kevin Kilbane "perceived" to be a better penalty taker that anyone who ever saw a football?
    We all knew he was going to miss!!!

• Advertisement

weadick wrote: »

Duff was doing the same. He even said; under Trap we were negative at times but not as bad as under MON or something to that effect. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, he was talking utter shíte.

Under MON when we did qualify we went to the Euros and played some decent football. Under Trap we qualified and went to the Euros and were pathetic, utterly pathetic. Also under MON we have beaten several teams higher ranked than us, under Trap the most we could muster was draws against higher ranked teams.

It was unbelievable guff from Duff.

And Brady and Dunphy and the presenter Moloney sitting there saying nothing because their pet Damian was chiming in with their unchallenged bullshít.

Back in the old days at least Bill might have pulled one of them up now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Duff was doing the same. He even said; under Trap we were negative at times but not as bad as under MON or something to that effect. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, he was talking utter shíte.

Under MON when we did qualify we went to the Euros and played some decent football. Under Trap we qualified and went to the Euros and were pathetic, utterly pathetic. Also under MON we have beaten several teams higher ranked than us, under Trap the most we could muster was draws against higher ranked teams.

It was unbelievable guff from Duff.

And Brady and Dunphy and the presenter Moloney sitting there saying nothing because their pet Damian was chiming in with their unchallenged bullshít.

Back in the old days at least Bill might have pulled one of them up now and again.

In terms of a pure turgid displays, Saturday would have been well up there with alot of the dour Trap games.

I don't remember us conceding quite as much territory or possession under Trap.

You really go on a character assassination when MON is criticised though.

Must be the umpteenth time you've laid into Duff because you perceive alot of the Trap displays were more turgid than Saturday.

We are talking about football, possession and attacking here by the way. No one doubts the defensive commitment although I rarely have over the last 20+ years as an Ireland fan.

Well seeing as Ireland's game plan is sit back and wait for teams to make mistakes you wouldn't blame them at 70mins to say right no point going all out to get a goal now and play right into the hands of Ireland's game plan giving them the chance to catch us on the counter for the away goal.

0-0 suited them more than it suited us knowing one goal in Dublin makes it harder for us and no chance of extra time.
    Denmark and Hareide are every bit as negative and conservative if not more so than we are. The team that goes through will be the team with the most courage. That will be us in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Denmark and Hareide are every bit as negative and conservative if not more so than we are. The team that goes through will be the team with the most courage. That will be us in my view.

No statistic during their qualification campaign backs this up.

Even the other night they had far more possession, chances and passes than us despite using the diagonals.

Anyone know which hotel the Danes are in?
    Fancy doing like the Turks and parking around the hotel sitting on our car horns all night? The Gardai will be grand....might even put on their sirens to lend us a hand! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

noodler wrote: »
    In terms of a pure turgid displays, Saturday would have been well up there with alot of the dour Trap games.

I don't remember us conceding quite as much territory or possession under Trap.

You really go on a character assassination when MON is criticised though.

Must be the umpteenth time you've laid into Duff because you perceive alot of the Trap displays were more turgid than Saturday.

We are talking about football, possession and attacking here by the way. No one doubts the defensive commitment although I rarely have over the last 20+ years as an Ireland fan.
    I'm going through Duff for a shortcut because I couldn't believe the temerity of him to suggest that Trap's teams were in anyway more positive than MON's sides.

By enlarge since MON has come in, the team has produced several performances that make Trap's era look very negative and ultra conservative. The statistics back that up. Several wins over higher ranked sides which Trap never achieved and performances when we qualified for the Euros which again Trap's team didn't come close to matching.

I say all this as a poster on here who respected Trap for getting us to the Euro's but when the Euro's was over and given the abject display I was of the view he should've went then. It hasn't been like that at all with MON. When we qualified, we performed well and with credit to the players, and now tomorrow night we have the chance still to qualify for the second major tournament in succession.

The RTE panel doesn't have an ally for MON like Trap had sitting on it and it doesn't have someone to stand up to or argue with Dunphy and Brady if their pet Damian is sitting there chiming in with their guff.

If we win of course, they'll have to shut it won't they. I think that that's what will happen tomorrow.

Patww79 wrote: »
    They are.

noodler wrote: »
    No statistic during their qualification campaign backs this up.

Even the other night they had far more possession, chances and passes than us despite using the diagonals.
    They had more possession as a home side, had more chances as a home side, but they didn't dominate and weren't without spells of possession and a couple of half chances ourselves. Denmark were happy to play out the game for a 0-0 draw. If we were home first and settled for a 0-0 draw like they did, I can only imagine the uproar from the usual sources on here.

I'm confident we'll prevail tomorrow. What do you think Noodler?

I was confident we'd beat Wales in Cardiff as well, did you call that one prior to kick off? What's your call tomorrow night?

Having 73% possession is fairly dominant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Trap's era was bloody awful towards the end. The writing was on the wall during Euro 2012 and he should have gone then; we effectively wasted a campaign by sticking with him.

But I just don't remember the team being quite so inept in a creative sense as they are now. We get results in a way we didn't under Trap, but fcking hell it is ugly, brutalising stuff and I think Duff was spot on: nobody can criticise the commitment of the players, but we surely can be better on the ball then we are. We are awful on the ball, just awful. And we can criticise Duff for whatever, but I'm sure he knows a damn sight more about football than any of us posting here.

And we all want Ireland to succeed and we'll all get behind them tomorrow night, but, Jesus, does it always have to be this painful? With a midfield full of Premier League level players?

During the Euros Ireland largely played with a verve that I thought promised something different for the future: toughness, commitment, but with a bit of courage and flair going forward - we showed, in patches, that we could play. But, increasingly, as this campaign as gone on O'Neill has turned his back on that to the extent that we are so defensively orientated that it's actually amazing. Depressing, but amazing.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Having 73% possession is fairly dominant

Bar one or two hairy moments Ireland weren't really under pressure the last day, and we created some pressure on them ourselves.

What was the possession statistics at Anfield when Jose parked the bus Mick, and did they create a half chance at all?

Arghus wrote: »
    Trap's era was bloody awful towards the end. The writing was on the wall during Euro 2012 and he should have gone then; we effectively wasted a campaign by sticking with him.

But I just don't remember the team being quite so inept in a creative sense as they are now. We get results in a way we didn't under Trap, but fcking hell it is ugly, brutalising stuff and I think Duff was spot on: nobody can criticise the commitment of the players, but we surely can be better on the ball then we are. We are awful on the ball, just awful. And we can criticise Duff for whatever, but I'm sure he knows a damn sight more about football than any of us posting here.

And we all want Ireland to succeed and we'll all get behind them tomorrow night, but, Jesus, does it always have to be this painful? With a midfield full of Premier League level players?

During the Euros Ireland largely played with a verve that I thought promised something different for the future: toughness, commitment, but with a bit of courage and flair going forward - we showed, in patches, that we could play. But, increasingly, as this campaign as gone on O'Neill has turned his back on that to the extent that we are so defensively orientated that it's actually amazing. Depressing, but amazing.

You need to get your memory faculties checked.

Also you're contradicting yourself big time. Have a read over what you said and check that out as well.

Bar one or two hairy moments Ireland weren't under really pressure the last day, and we created some pressure on them ourselves.

What was the possession statistics at Anfield when Jose parked the bus Mick, and did they create a half chance at all?

I'm only going to reply to the first half of the post as this is the republic of Ireland thread.

Denmark had 14 shots on goal, and at least 3 of those would have been goals only for top class saves.

The piece of real pressure came from a lucky knockdown and some stellar solo work from Cyrus Christie. That was probably the only memorable part of our play.

I'm only going to reply to the first half of the post as this is the republic of Ireland thread.

Denmark had 14 shots on goal, and at least 3 of those would have been goals only for top class saves.

The piece of real pressure came from a lucky knockdown and some stellar solo work from Cyrus Christie. That was probably the only memorable part of our play.
    You're exaggerating Mick.

You're exaggerating Mick.

No I'm not.

No I'm not.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The atmosphere needs to be rocking tomorrow night,I really hope it is,the team is really gonna need it

Bar one or two hairy moments Ireland weren't under really pressure the last day, and we created some pressure on them ourselves.

A better match to talk about would Serbia at home. Never mind Liverpool or United, it isn't relevant.

This is a match that has been talked about, even if it was a defeat, as being evidence for the defence in regards to O'Neill's approach. We played really well, we were damn unlucky, people say. On another day etc, etc.

In that game we had 51% possession and three shots on target, despite facing 10 men for over 20 minutes and we were at home. And we lost.

Yet, this game is held by some as if it was some kind of encouraging performance and result for Ireland.

And a lot of those same folks will tell you that the game from a Danish perspective the last day was a disaster - even though they had 73% possession, five shots on target and didn't concede an away goal. And now they have another 90, perhaps 120 minutes of trying to score again against a team that has a negliable attacking threat and is notably wobbly at home.

We took positives from the Serbia game. If I was Danish I'd feel pretty happy to take positives from the last night.

• Advertisement

You need to get your memory faculties checked.

Also you're contradicting yourself big time. Have a read over what you said and check that out as well.

How so? I think I praised them during the Euros and I was estatic with the Germany results. I tried to be positive about the first game away at Georgia - the one with the McGeady screamer - because I thought I saw some green shoots of progress. I honestly can't remember anything else I wrote about during the Euros campaign. But feel free to bring it to my attention

I was pleased with the Wales result and I gave Martin O' Neill credit for the performance: he did deserve that night. But it didn't change my reservations about our style of play and how I felt that we'd let an opportunity slip to top the group. I wrote a big long post about it.

A better match to talk about would Serbia at home. Never mind Liverpool or United, it isn't relevant.

This is a match that has been talked about, even if it was a defeat, as being evidence for the defence in regards to O'Neill's approach. We played really well, we were damn unlucky, people say. On another day etc, etc.

In that game we had 51% possession and three shots on target, despite facing 10 men for over 20 minutes and we were at home. And we lost.

Yet, this game is held by some as if it was some kind of encouraging performance and result for Ireland.

And a lot of those same folks will tell you that the game from a Danish perspective the last day was a disaster - even though they had 73% possession, five shots on target and didn't concede an away goal. And now they have another 90, perhaps 120 minutes of trying to score again against a team that has a negliable attacking threat and is notably wobbly at home.

We took positives from the Serbia game. If I was Danish I'd feel pretty happy to take positives from the last night.
    A better match to talk about perhaps would be the last 2nd leg play off we had only a couple of years ago, at home, v Bosnia, that we won 2-0.

With the same management and most of the same players and also 2nd favourites going into the two legged tie.

A better match to talk about perhaps would be the last 2nd leg play off we had only a couple of years ago, at home, v Bosnia, that we won 2-0.

With the same management and most of the same players and also 2nd favourites going into the two legged tie.

I agree.

It is a better match to talk about than Liverpool- United.

I agree.

It is a better match to talk about than Liverpool- United.
    Liverpool - United is relevant for Mick

Liverpool - United is relevant for Mick

You are the only one that keeps bringing it up as a feeble attempt to discredit an opposing point of view.

Mourinhoesque defection, I'll grant you that.

You are the only one that keeps bringing it up as a feeble attempt to discredit an opposing point of view.

Mourinhoesque defection, I'll grant you that.
    I'm not deflecting anything. I'm talking about the ridiculous and in some quarters hypocritical attitude by some towards O'Neill and his so called negative tactics, when in reality there's been some negative displays but there's also been lots of positive football played and some great results overall to date.

• Advertisement

I'm not deflecting anything. I'm talking about the ridiculous and in some quarters hypocritical attitude by some towards O'Neill and his so called negative tactics, when in reality there's been some negative displays but there's also been lots of positive football played and some great results overall to date.

So it's more important who it is that's saying something, rather than what it is they are saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Bar one or two hairy moments Ireland weren't really under pressure the last day, and we created some pressure on them ourselves.

Give over lad. There is a huge difference between creating some chances and putting a team under pressure. We spend 90 absorbing pressure in the hope of creating a chance. There might be brief spells of relief but they rarely last longer than a couple of minutes.

Guffy wrote: »
    Give over lad. There is a huge difference between creating some chances and putting a team under pressure. We spend 90 absorbing pressure in the hope of creating a chance. There might be brief spells of relief but they rarely last longer than a couple of minutes.

Give over what?

Not against this Denmark outfit with that gobshíte Hareide as manager we don't and we won't. Over the two legs we will be toe to toe with them. They were delighted to draw the first leg 0-0.

Imagine the complaining on here if we were at home first leg and drew 0-0? You give over... 'lad'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Give over what?

Not against this Denmark outfit with that gobshíte Hareide as manager we don't and we won't. Over the two legs we will be toe to toe with them. They were delighted to draw the first leg 0-0.

Imagine the complaining on here if we were at home first leg and drew 0-0? You give over... 'lad'.

Are you talking about the result or how we create pressure? 0-0 wasn't the worst result. We didn't create pressure bar maybe a few seconds. We had a few chances, which isnt the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Give over what?

Hareide is a great manager. They will see us off handy tonight while playing much better football. You'll see, buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Anyone know which hotel the Danes are in?
    Fancy doing like the Turks and parking around the hotel sitting on our car horns all night? The Gardai will be grand....might even put on their sirens to lend us a hand! :D

Tell some Irish fans they are sleeping in a lingerie store, and there'll be a big gang of virgins hanging around outside within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'm going through Duff for a shortcut because I couldn't believe the temerity of him to suggest that Trap's teams were in anyway more positive than MON's sides.

By enlarge since MON has come in, the team has produced several performances that make Trap's era look very negative and ultra conservative. The statistics back that up. Several wins over higher ranked sides which Trap never achieved and performances when we qualified for the Euros which again Trap's team didn't come close to matching.

I say all this as a poster on here who respected Trap for getting us to the Euro's but when the Euro's was over and given the abject display I was of the view he should've went then. It hasn't been like that at all with MON. When we qualified, we performed well and with credit to the players, and now tomorrow night we have the chance still to qualify for the second major tournament in succession.

The RTE panel doesn't have an ally for MON like Trap had sitting on it and it doesn't have someone to stand up to or argue with Dunphy and Brady if their pet Damian is sitting there chiming in with their guff.

If we win of course, they'll have to shut it won't they. I think that that's what will happen tomorrow.

Thought Duff made a fair point. It wasn’t about results or defending. It was about our usage of the ball which was absolutely terrible at times. On multiple occasions we just swung a leg at it. Not even a long ball into a particular area, just lashed it. It was terrible stuff. But we defended well and Duff acknowledged that.

Where I disagree with Dunphy is on the subject of Northern Ireland. Don’t get me wrong, Michael O’Neill has done a wonderful job. But they’re no better to watch than us. They were dreadful in the Euros as a spectacle and the other night at home, they had 36% possession and didn’t threaten once.

And there we have Dunphy telling us how great they are and that’s what Martin O’Neill should be trying to do knowing that, if the roles were reversed, he’d still be slating us.

I love Dunphy, mainly for the divilment and entertainment, but he doesn’t half talk **** a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

he got Man of the match and hasnt put a foot wrong for Ireland but at club level hes been the worst of the 3 for sometime,
    Christie hasnt been our best right back at club level either , Mark Doherty has been playing better than him for a good 18 months , Mon will stick with them untill they let Ireland down which is probably the correct call

Clueless im a boro fan and both have been excellent for us this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

A way in Asia and missed the first game. Found an Irish bar for tonight to watch it in. What's the general opinion on tonight? I see paddy power has denmark as favourites. Anyone confident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Not in the slightest but then again they've proven that this slop can work in the past, so who knows.
    Fairly confident myself this morning. Denmark are every bit as poor as us in areas. I think we have a better defence and will have more pace up front (if long starts) to cause them hassle.

I think Holohan could be key in the last 30 mins or so if he gets a chance.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Thought Duff made a fair point. It wasn’t about results or defending. It was about our usage of the ball which was absolutely terrible at times. On multiple occasions we just swung a leg at it. Not even a long ball into a particular area, just lashed it. It was terrible stuff. But we defended well and Duff acknowledged that.

Where I disagree with Dunphy is on the subject of Northern Ireland. Don’t get me wrong, Michael O’Neill has done a wonderful job. But they’re no better to watch than us. They were dreadful in the Euros as a spectacle and the other night at home, they had 36% possession and didn’t threaten once.

And there we have Dunphy telling us how great they are and that’s what Martin O’Neill should be trying to do knowing that, if the roles were reversed, he’d still be slating us.

I love Dunphy, mainly for the divilment and entertainment, but he doesn’t half talk **** a lot of the time.

The point I'm picking up Duff on was he suggested that under Trap we weren't as bad with possession. Overall we were worse under Trap in every way than under MON, a hell of a lot worse. Even when we qualified with Trap we could beat no-one ranked higher than us and when we got to the Euros we were by a distance the worst team in the tournament, in every facet of the game including use of the ball. Duff was talking utter dung.

Dunphy I used to find entertaining years ago but he's become stale and out of touch and yes he always talked nonsense but him and Brady rule the roost on that panel now and the other panelist's don't last long in the gig if they disagree with them. That's why Damian won't disagree with them.

Brady used to have staged rows with Dunphy, and Giles played the part of the sensible one settling their faux disputes. Nowadays though it's just a washed out old boys act with Brady and Dunphy and they round on anyone who disagrees with them and get rid of them or shout them down.

Here's a good article by Eamonn Sweeney in yesterday's Irish Independent where he reveals the default position of Irish pundits on RTE to generally be overly critical of Irish managers.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/eamonn-sweeney-mindless-scepticism-becoming-a-ritual-for-tv-pundits-36313316.html

Brady of course had a different view on Trap though because he was an old pal of his and Duff talking gibberish about Trap's time while devaluing MON's side as well just to be in agreement with Brady. The RTE panel as it currently stands has been entirely reduced to an old pals act and anyone who wants to get a gig needs to chime in with the two dinosaur pundits Brady and Dunphy.
    O'Neill is merely the latest manager to have his achievements underrated and his mistakes over-emphasised. His critics may claim that they're merely concerned with standards, but if nobody is ever good enough for you, that doesn't necessarily mean you have high standards. It probably means you have unrealistic ones.

We're heading into the 2nd leg of a qualifier with an even chance of making it to the second major tournament in succession and this character is whingeing about 'slop', embarrassing and boring gibberish:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Give over what?

Not against this Denmark outfit with that gobsh Hareide as manager we don't and we won't. Over the two legs we will be toe to toe with them. They were delighted to draw the first leg 0-0.

So you expect us to have 68% possession tonight?? Have 5 times more passes than Denmark tonight?? Or do you not know what going toe to toe means??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We're heading into the 2nd leg of a qualifier with an even chance of making it to the second major tournament in succession and this character is whingeing about 'slop', embarrassing and boring gibberish:o

The Euros was pure luck on O'Neills part, right time right place. Finish third and still qualify because they padded out the main competition. You make it sound like we romped to qualification. Below are our qualification finishes going back to 1988. O'Neill finished joint worst with 2004 and 2008, with a third place finish and people still want to make him out as some messiah who's changed Ireland's footballing fortunes.

2016 we finished 3rd.
    2012 we finished 2nd.
    2008 we finished 3rd.
    2004 we finished 3rd.
    2000 we finished 2nd.
    1996 we finished 2nd.
    1992 we finished 2nd.
    1988 we topped the group.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement