Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    We were at home to half the Austria team. A combination of both poor team selection and tactical inept led us to not winning at home.

The minute Wes came on the pitch he almost created a goal.
    We set the precedence early on in the match that we didn't want any creativity or actual productive play. Only after we conceded he reverted to a 4-4-2 and actual brought on someone who can play a bit of ball.

He opted to take off Harry Arthur when he was actually having a decent game and left on Whelan. Another baffling decision.

Yes Eamo its all about Wes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

So far in this group I mean.
    Oh right, shifting the goalposts. Well, Austria away was a very accomplished performance. We went off the boil then, but recovered to beat wales in Cardiff. Tonight we need a home performance like the one v Bosnia in Dublin two years ago. It's not that long ago, a lot of the personnel are still around.

pjohnson wrote: »

The precedence was set from the tactics employed from the kick off.
    Not selecting your most creative player at home doesn't help either, especially when the Austria team was significantly weakened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

We were at home to half the Austria team. A combination of both poor team selection and tactical inept led us to not winning at home.

The minute Wes came on the pitch he almost created a goal.
    We set the precedence early on in the match that we didn't want any creativity or actual productive play. Only after we conceded he reverted to a 4-4-2 and actual brought on someone who can play a bit of ball.

He opted to take off Harry Arthur when he was actually having a decent game and left on Whelan. Another baffling decision.

It's just as easy to say that we may have been 2 goals down if we'd played more openly from the start.

If my aunty had a pair of balls etc.

You're horrendously negative. We drew with a team who were a higher seed than us, who desperately wanted to beat us to make up for the LOSS to us in their ground.

Yes we might have beaten them, but we might also have won the world cup last time around if Ronaldo and Messi's folks had moved to Ireland a few decades ago.

It was not an awful result.

This is the last time I'm addressing any of your posts by the way, as you're painfully negative.

Come on Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The qualifying campaign was a bit of a mixed bag.

I agree we did brilliantly at first to get ourselves in a great position. All credit to O'Neill and co.

Then we let slip, mainly result against Georgia but some other draws mentioned where it would have been nice to push on. Similarly to O'Neill and the team getting credit for the start they have to take blame for this.

Then when we were up against it when Wales moved ahead of us but fought back to get the playoff spot. Again credit to O'Neill and the team for the fight back.

Overall it's been a difficult process, but it always is for us. If we fail to get through tonight personally wouldn't call it a massive failure, more so massive disappointment. To me a massive failure would have been failing to get the playoff spot after our start, something that looked likely at one point.

I remember before the Euros qualifying was finished some fans claimed they'd rather not qualify if it meant getting rid of O'Neill something I found a bit ludicrous, certainly with us being this close to reaching our first WC since 2002 everyone, be it a fan or not of O'Neill, will be routing for us to win by any means possible.

I'm not going to kid myself and expect us to play beautiful eye-watering football, I'm just hoping players put in a composed and passionate display and leave it all out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It could very well come down to that tonight. :D

It's just as easy to say that we may have been 2 goals down if we'd played more openly from the start.

You're horrendously negative. We drew with a team who were a higher seed than us, who desperately wanted to beat us to make up for the LOSS to us in their ground.

Yes we might have beaten them, but we might also have won the world cup last time around if Ronaldo and Messi's folks had moved to Ireland a few decades ago.

This is the last time I'm addressing any of your posts by the way, as you're painfully negative.

Come on Ireland!!

I wonder would the whingers be as upset if we drew in Vienna and beat them in Dublin?

Come on Ireland!!
    Yes it was. You share the opinion that it wasn't and that's ok.
    IMO you are horrendously naive when objectively looking at the pros and cons of MONs Ireland.

I wonder would the whingers be as upset if we drew in Vienna and beat them in Dublin?

There is no need for petty shots just because someone doesn't agree with you. I could start calling you deluded but I won't.

I spoke of one game at home to Austra where I felt we should have done better if the approach was right. That's it.

Credit to MON for getting a result away from home. I've no issue stating that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Apologies.

At the time people thought we had a favourable group as Wales were not rated highly since this was before their exploits in the Euros. We did enter the draw as 4th seeds for a reason so I wouldn't have taken the group for granted, Serbia being tough fixture and Austria after just beating us during the previous WC qualifying.

Surely if we manage to get to the WC today, a big if, O'Neill and Keane are due a lot of praise for managing to get us there, even if you feel it has been the hard way.

We squandered a great position, but I have to give them credit for the recovery and getting the playoff spot at the end.
    I don't know how my nerves will hold up tonight however, I imagine uncomfortable, cagey football. Mad to think it's been 15 years since we last played in a world cup.

Wales were in a higher pot than they should have been. They had a decent Euros, but their ranking was inflated artificially. They manipulated the ranking by not playing friendlies.

Austria 2 years ago have no bearing on the Austria of our group. They were whipping boys in the Euros and carried that form into WC qualifying.

Serbia were a decent team, but they messed up enough times that we should have taken advantage. 20 mins versus a 10 man Serbia without a shot on target sums up our campaign.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how they just choose to ignore all the positive results. And incessant, as if MON has personally done something to harm them.

We're a win away from him being one of our all time great managers, yet all you see from some people is abuse and whinging.

I'm sure they'd find a way:pac:

Their determination to be negative must take a lot of effort in and of itself. Someone needs to click the reset button for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

There is no need for petty shots just because someone doesn't agree with you. I could start calling you deluded but I won't.

I spoke of one game at home to Austra where I felt we should have done better if the approach was right. That's it.

Credit to MON for getting a result away from home. I've no issue stating that either.

Some people hear will not listen to any criticism of O Neill here.

It's amazing how they just choose to ignore all the positive results. And incessant, as if MON has personally done something to harm them.

We're a win away from him being one of our all time great managers, yet all you see from some people is abuse and whinging.

:pac:

Dreadful stuff and completely not true either

brilou23 wrote: »

There's a time and a place, and you'd think today they would give it a rest, of all days, and get behind the team.

Yet we are constantly reminded of random bile infested opinions like "Saturday's draw was lucky!" and "a draw at home to Austria is an awful result!".

Where's the ignore button on posters....

Wales were in a higher pot than they should have been. They had a decent Euros, but their ranking was inflated artificially. They manipulated the ranking by not playing friendlies.

Austria 2 years ago have no bearing on the Austria of our group. They were whipping boys in the Euros and carried that form into WC qualifying.

Serbia were a decent team, but they messed up enough times that we should have taken advantage. 20 mins versus a 10 man Serbia without a shot on target sums up our campaign.
    Here's welldoninhio with some negative revisionism of Ireland's Group D opponents.

4pts from the 2 Austria games isn't bad in my eyes. Getting fixated on the draw instead of the win is hilarious way of making sure you can stay as negative as possible.

And some people refuse to accept anything BUT criticism of O'Neill.

I shoulda left the match thread Ireland vs. Ireland as that's how it will go regardless of result/performance.

Jesus :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Who are you referring to? I don't think anyone was anything other than critical of the performance in Tblisi. In my view the performance at home to Austria which was awful flat from the start was also a missed opportunity to pick up 3 points.

On the other hand the whingers on here don't seem to appreciate the excellent results and performances that we've had since MON took over with several wins over higher ranking sides and a positive showing in the Euros in France.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Here's welldoninhio with some negative revisionism of Ireland's Group D opponents.

Anything actually to add, or to use to refute my statement??Or just more snipes?? Its quite telling that you are unable to actually debate/put forward a coherent argument against any of the "negative" revisionists. Those who can't, snipe.

Who are you referring to? I don't think anyone was anything other than critical of the performance in Tblisi. In my view the performance at home to Austria which was awful flat from the start was also a missed opportunity to pick up 3 points.

On the other hand the whingers on here don't seem to appreciate the excellent results and performances that we've had since MON took over with several wins over higher ranking sides and a positive showing in the Euros in France.

This latest crapshow happened because someone dared be positive and mention the win in Vienna. Not possible to mention it had to become about the Dublin horrors.

Jesus what?

Only Jack Charlton has a better record in terms of multiple qualifications. Right now MON is on a par with Trap and Mick McCarthy in terms of results. If we win tonight he goes ahead of them.

So what the fcuk are you rolling your eyes about exactly?

Well to be fair, as I said before it's a big if, but if we do qualify he becomes one of only 2 managers to get us to both the Euros and WC. Jack Charlton being the other, and would be the only other Irish manager to qualify us to more competitions than O'Neill. Big "if" and people can argue all day about format changes, and quality of squads etc but those are the stats.

Also just thinking about most of the managers we've had in the past Johnny Giles, Jack Charlton, Mick McCarthy, Brian Kerr, Steve Staunton, Trappatoni and now Martin O'Neill, it's not really that difficult of a task to becoming one of our all time greatest managers :pac:

Anything actually to add, or to use to refute my statement??Or just more snipes?? Its quite telling that you are unable to actually debate/put forward a coherent argument against any of the "negative" revisionists. Those who can't, snipe.
    Your negative revisionism is part of your ridiculous negative claptrap about MON. Being ridiculously negative isn't a coherent argument.

• Advertisement

Well to be fair, as I said before it's a big if, but if we do qualify he becomes one of only 2 managers to get us to both the Euros and WC. Jack Charlton being the other, and would be the only other Irish manager to qualify us to more competitions than O'Neill. Big "if" and people can argue all day about format changes, and quality of squads etc but those are the stats.

Also just thinking about most of the managers we've had in the past Johnny Giles, Jack Charlton, Mick McCarthy, Brian Kerr, Steve Staunton, Trappatoni and now Martin O'Neill, it's not really that difficult of a task to becoming one of our all time greatest managers :pac:
    It's not that difficult a task is it? Really? Do you think it's easy for Ireland to get to play offs and qualify for tournaments?

Jesus what?

Only Jack Charlton has a better record in terms of multiple qualifications. Right now MON is on a par with Trap and Mick McCarthy in terms of results. If we win tonight he goes ahead of them.

So what the fcuk are you rolling your eyes about exactly?

And if the rules change for the next Euro and WC qualifiers so all teams qualify for the WC and Euros, will a manager that stays for 3 campaigns become Ireland's bestest manager ever?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was significantly harder to qualify for the Euros in previous years for a start. As seen by O'Neill qualifying us even though we finished our qualifying group in our worst ever finishing position since pre 88. You have to go back to 1972 to find us finish a Euro qualifying group lower than 3rd.

It's not that difficult a task is it? Really? Do you think it's easy for Ireland to get to play offs and qualify for tournaments?

Relax man, was a light hearted joke at who O'Neill is competing with for a title of "one of our greatest managers".

And if the rules change for the next Euro and WC qualifiers so all teams qualify for the WC and Euros, will a manager that stays for 3 campaigns become Ireland's bestest manager ever?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was significantly harder to qualify for the Euros in previous years for a start. As seen by O'Neill qualifying us even though we finished our qualifying group in our worst ever finishing position since pre 88. You have to go back to 1972 to find us finish a Euro qualifying group lower than 3rd.
    You're still refusing to give credit for the performances when we actually got to France.

Do you actually enjoy being so negative?

Relax man, was a light hearted joke at who O'Neill is competing with for a title of "one of our greatest managers".
    I might be in danger of losing my sense of humour what with the shower of negative ninnies that stink this place out of it on here.

Anyway roll on the big match tonight.

• Advertisement

You're still refusing to give credit for the performances when we actually got to France.

Do you actually enjoy being so negative?

Like when Belgium steamrollered us? We were a match with Sweden who are on a level with us, beat an uninterested, already qualified second string Italy and got knocked out by France.

Like when Belgium steamrollered us? We were a match with Sweden who are on a level with us, beat an uninterested, already qualified second string Italy and got knocked out by France.
    :pac: Yeah ok. You already tore it with the previous post pal, you can stop pretending now. You had me going for a while though.

:pac: Yeah ok. You already tore it with the previous post pal, you can stop pretending now. You had me going for a while though.

And yet again, more vacuous nonsense. Nothing to refute or point out where I was wrong or misguided, its almost like you can't. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I won't be replying again. Your posts haven't offered anything to the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wales were obviously too highly ranked but still deserved to be ranked ahead of us. They have better players. We beat them because as I said earlier MON had us playing greater than the sum of our parts.
    Austria firstly were not the whipping boys of the euros. If you had watched the euros properly you'd know that. They were shocking to start with and we benefitted. They got it together towards the end of the group and beat the best team in the group. Again they've better players.
    Serbia were the best team in the group. We robbed a point away while under siege. Much better squad than ours that if they turned up would beat us more times than not.

There was no Germany or Spain in the group but that doesn't mean a squad like ours should suddenly be winning the group.
    Everyone has bad runs, that doesn't mean you ignore the good patches either side and disregard the tactics that brought that success. It's also easy to look at our results in isolation. Serbia lost to the supposedly **** Austria and also should've beaten Wales as well as ourselves when we were in Belgrade. Those results happen as they should do people still expect us to win the group. We're at our level of not slight over performing

And yet again, more vacuous nonsense. Nothing to refute or point out where I was wrong or misguided, its almost like you can't. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I won't be replying again. Your posts haven't offered anything to the discussion.
    You won’t be replying because you’ve been rumbled pal. It’s impossible to be as negative as you’re letting on to be. Game over, ball burst .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

sugarman wrote: »

Come on lads!! Try focus on the match tonight and have this argument AFTER the ball has been kicked.

Absolutely cacking myself here just about to head out the door. Couldnt sleep last night and cant eat now.

All I ask of us tonight is to give it a real go and whatever happens, happens.

We all want to do well man. We all want to see Ireland at the World Cup. But that doesn't just mean waving a big inflatable hammer and singing the fields. You have to be realistic and examine where we are in the cold light of day.

We all want to qualify and be positive but whether we get through or not wont change the problem.

Craig Bellamy was doing the Sky coverage for our game against Wales and pretty much hit the nail on the head. He played under Martin for quite a while, and never saw him on the training pitch once and never spoke a word to him....which was common among the team. Match day would come and he wouldn't know who was playing, where, and what the overall gameplan was. He'd have to ask a teammate to check the teamsheet to know.

Does that sound like a good manager to you? A Manager with a coherent plan on how to get the team playing or with dealing with the opposition? Compare that to some of the OCD/perfectionist managers out there and then ask yourself is it that he doesn't care/is lazy? Or is he just not that talented?

O'Neill is a dinosaur. His only quantifiable success in management came decades ago. Similar to old 'Arry, Martin doesn't do tactics. He constantly puts out the wrong team, in the wrong shape, and persists with "experiments" that don't work....like Brady through the middle. He isn't a good manager and I'd take virtually anyone over him to be honest.

People usually respond to this notion that we aren't Brazil, a tiny little island blahg blah blah. I'm not talking about playing tiki-taka. If we are going to play long ball direct stuff, I'm fine with that. But lets commit to it. Lets be good at it. Lets go out with a PLAN of doing that. Thats not what we do.

Go watch the game back. We creared virtually no chances. Our one glimmer came from Christie down the right.....and thats it. They had numerous excellent chances and put them wide.....or straight at our MOTM.

It was luck. We should've been 2-0 down to be honest and the tie over. He may be a crap manager.....but he is a lucky one......I'll give him that.

I'll be hoping we show up tonight and get through.....but that won't change the fact that we arent giving ourselves the best chance of success. The fact that the FAI gave him an extension before we even got there(which i predicted they would btw) was ridiculous. He's not the right man for the job.

A couple MON fans in here will call this negative. It's not. Or perhaps it is from your point of view? But I think most fans recognise we play some awful, awful football. Which would be tolerable if it was effective but it's clearly not. We can't rely on McClean to volley our only chance of the game into the back of the net again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Rumours of Scott Hogan starting tonight. He's favourite with Paddy Power to open the scoring.

Hmm, nevermind, could be a wind-up...

Kirby wrote: »
    We all want to do well man. We all want to see Ireland at the World Cup. But that doesn't just mean waving a big inflatable hammer and singing the fields. You have to be realistic and examine where we are in the cold light of day.

We all want to qualify and be positive but whether we get through or not wont change the problem.

Craig Bellamy was doing the Sky coverage for our game against Wales and pretty much hit the nail on the head. He played under Martin for quite a while, and never saw him on the training pitch once and never spoke a word to him....which was common among the team. Match day would come and he wouldn't know who was playing, where, and what the overall gameplan was. He'd have to ask a teammate to check the teamsheet to know.

Does that sound like a good manager to you? A Manager with a coherent plan on how to get the team playing or with dealing with the opposition? Compare that to some of the OCD/perfectionist managers out there and then ask yourself is it that he doesn't care/is lazy? Or is he just not that talented?

O'Neill is a dinosaur. His only quantifiable success in management came decades ago. Similar to old 'Arry, Martin doesn't do tactics. He constantly puts out the wrong team, in the wrong shape, and persists with "experiments" that don't work....like Brady through the middle. He isn't a good manager and I'd take virtually anyone over him to be honest.

People usually respond to this notion that we aren't Brazil, a tiny little island blahg blah blah. I'm not talking about playing tiki-taka. If we are going to play long ball direct stuff, I'm fine with that. But lets commit to it. Lets be good at it. Lets go out with a PLAN of doing that. Thats not what we do.

Go watch the game back. We creared virtually no chances. Our one glimmer came from Christie down the right.....and thats it. They had numerous excellent chances and put them wide.....or straight at our MOTM.

It was luck. We should've been 2-0 down to be honest and the tie over. He may be a crap manager.....but he is a lucky one......I'll give him that.

I'll be hoping we show up tonight and get through.....but that won't change the fact that we arent giving ourselves the best chance of success. The fact that the FAI gave him an extension before we even got there(which i predicted they would btw) was ridiculous. He's not the right man for the job.

A couple MON fans in here will call this negative. It's not. Or perhaps it is from your point of view? But I think most fans recognise we play some awful, awful football. Which would be tolerable if it was effective but it's clearly not. We can't rely on McClean to volley our only chance of the game into the back of the net again.
    Hmmmmm a lazy, careless “dinosaur” who got us to the Euros, performing well in France and followed that with a play off spot and potential qualification for the World Cup. LOL, you couldn’t make up some of the negative crap you read on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Rumours of Scott Hogan starting tonight. He's favourite with Paddy Power to open the scoring.

Wont happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Craig Bellamy.. Match day would come and he wouldn't know who was playing, where, and what the overall gameplan was. He'd have to ask a teammate to check the teamsheet to know.

I've highlighted your problem there..

• Advertisement

Hmmmmm a lazy, careless “dinosaur” who got us to the Euros, performing well in France and followed that with a play off spot and potential qualification for the World Cup. LOL, you couldn’t make up some of the negative crap you read on here.

Okay, you can call it negative. But what part of it is wrong? You haven't addressed a single point in the post.....just listed the fact that we went to the last tournament....which we did.....and claimed we played well....which we most certainly didnt.
    I've highlighted your problem there..

While that is low hanging fruit of a response and I don't blame you for saying it for a the quick laugh......are you claiming he's lying? What possible motive would he have for saying any of that if it wasn't true?

I'd also add that he isn't the first player to criticise MON. Most are a little more diplomatic and say something along the lines of "hes not a training ground manager".....which is code for we never bloody see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

COYBIG

Fingers crossed

Okay, you can call it negative. But what part of it is wrong? You haven't addressed a single point in the post.....just listed the fact that we went to the last tournament....which we did.....and claimed we played well....which we most certainly didnt.
    We didn’t play well in the Euros in France? You don’t actually believe that do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

While that is low hanging fruit of a response and I don't blame you for saying it for a the quick laugh......are you claiming he's lying? What possible motive would he have for saying any of that if it wasn't true?

Bellamy is well known for spouting off about anybody and anyone. There is plenty other Celtic players who give him massive credit for shaping their careers. Just because he isn't playing playstation with the players doesn't mean he isn't an exceptional manager. Results don't lie.

Bellamy is well known for spouting off about anybody and anyone. There is plenty other Celtic players who give him massive credit for shaping their careers. Just because he isn't playing playstation with the players doesn't mean he isn't an exceptional manager. Results don't lie.

So Bellamy is lying. Okay.

What about Chris Sutton? Who clearly loved O'Neill?

"When I played for him, Martin was not someone I felt you could get close to. He was difficult to read and you never knew what he was thinking, but when he gave you praise, it made you feel a million dollars."

Does this not echo not only what Bellamy said but also other ex-pro's? Oh he's a great man manager. Makes you feel great! But what about that part saying nobody knew him, he was difficult to read and nobody knew what he was thinking?

Even when they are prasing him you get the gist of it. He's not much of a tactician is he? You need a Motivational speaker? He's apparently your man. Not much of a manager though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

This is probably the worst post I've seen in the soccer forum all year so kudos on that. Layers of idiocy.

Genuinely fear the level of similar drool that will come if we come up short tonight.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Genuinely fear the level of similar drool that will come if we come up short tonight.

I honestly don't think anything will ever top the crowd who wanted us to fail to qualify for the Euros as it would result in O'Neill getting the sack and the start of some Irish footballing renaissance :pac:

Rekop dog wrote: »
    This is probably the worst post I've seen in the soccer forum all year so kudos on that. Layers of idiocy.

Where as your post is award worthy. I especially like the part in the third paragraph where you put forth your own opinion on why I'm wrong and that O'Neill is a good manager for Ireland. Oh no....hang on. You didn't do that. What you actually posted was the equivalent of "Your post is bad hurr durr."

How about you actually contribute something? Enlighten us all with your, no doubt, stellar take on Irish football.

Where as your post is award worthy. I especially like the part in the third paragraph where you put forth your own opinion on why I'm wrong and that O'Neill is a good manager for Ireland. Oh no....hang on. You didn't do that. What you actually posted was the equivalent of "Your post is bad hurr durr."

How about you actually contribute something? Enlighten us all with your, no doubt, stellar take on Irish football.
    LOL, there’s some right characters on here today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

fyfe79 wrote: »

Would be some shock if Hogan started alright, especially given he can't get a start with Villa but Murphy was dealing with a hamstring issue the week before the Denmark game so two games in quick succession might be a bit much for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement