Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2018/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

All we're missing is some claim that MON is the Harvey Weinstein of Irish football.....wait that would explain a lot of the wrath we see on here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

All we're missing is some claim that MON is the Harvey Weinstein of Irish football.....wait that would explain a lot of the wrath we see on here :pac:

Even if he was he did study criminology so could easily cover his tracks up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Kirby wrote: »
    We all want to do well man. We all want to see Ireland at the World Cup. But that doesn't just mean waving a big inflatable hammer and singing the fields. You have to be realistic and examine where we are in the cold light of day.

We all want to qualify and be positive but whether we get through or not wont change the problem.

Craig Bellamy was doing the Sky coverage for our game against Wales and pretty much hit the nail on the head. He played under Martin for quite a while, and never saw him on the training pitch once and never spoke a word to him....which was common among the team. Match day would come and he wouldn't know who was playing, where, and what the overall gameplan was. He'd have to ask a teammate to check the teamsheet to know.

Does that sound like a good manager to you? A Manager with a coherent plan on how to get the team playing or with dealing with the opposition? Compare that to some of the OCD/perfectionist managers out there and then ask yourself is it that he doesn't care/is lazy? Or is he just not that talented?

O'Neill is a dinosaur. His only quantifiable success in management came decades ago. Similar to old 'Arry, Martin doesn't do tactics. He constantly puts out the wrong team, in the wrong shape, and persists with "experiments" that don't work....like Brady through the middle. He isn't a good manager and I'd take virtually anyone over him to be honest.

People usually respond to this notion that we aren't Brazil, a tiny little island blahg blah blah. I'm not talking about playing tiki-taka. If we are going to play long ball direct stuff, I'm fine with that. But lets commit to it. Lets be good at it. Lets go out with a PLAN of doing that. Thats not what we do.

Go watch the game back. We creared virtually no chances. Our one glimmer came from Christie down the right.....and thats it. They had numerous excellent chances and put them wide.....or straight at our MOTM.

It was luck. We should've been 2-0 down to be honest and the tie over. He may be a crap manager.....but he is a lucky one......I'll give him that.

I'll be hoping we show up tonight and get through.....but that won't change the fact that we arent giving ourselves the best chance of success. The fact that the FAI gave him an extension before we even got there(which i predicted they would btw) was ridiculous. He's not the right man for the job.

A couple MON fans in here will call this negative. It's not. Or perhaps it is from your point of view? But I think most fans recognise we play some awful, awful football. Which would be tolerable if it was effective but it's clearly not. We can't rely on McClean to volley our only chance of the game into the back of the net again.

What a load of nonsense. Seriously. O’Neill is there to be criticized but dismissing him as lucky or a dinosaur just completely undermines your credibility.

These are facts:

1. O’Neill won two league cups with Leicester.
    2. He kept them in the top division for several seasons. They were a top half team.
    3. He won three leagues and three cups with Celtic.
    4. He got Celtic to a European final.
    5. He managed Villa to three consecutive top 6 finishes.
    6. He qualified Ireland for a championship and reached the knockout stages.
    7. He stands one game away for qualifying us for our first WC since 2002.

None of that is disputable and you cannot attribute it to luck. I’m not his his biggest fan but the man has earned some basic respect.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense. Seriously. O’Neill is there to be criticized but dismissing him as lucky or a dinosaur just completely undermines your credibility.

These are facts:

1. O’Neill won two league cups with Leicester.
    2. He kept them in the top division for several seasons. They were a top half team.
    3. He won three leagues and three cups with Celtic.
    4. He got Celtic to a European final.
    5. He managed Villa to three consecutive top 6 finishes.
    6. He qualified Ireland for a championship and reached the knockout stages.
    7. He stands one game away for qualifying us for our first WC since 2002.

None of that is disputable and you cannot attribute it to luck. I’m not his his biggest fan but the man has earned some basic respect.

BravTHEFVCKo

Bout time someone slapped down these fools with hard facts

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

These are facts:

1. O’Neill won two league cups with Leicester. I never said he didn't.
    2. He kept them in the top division for several seasons. They were a top half team. I never said he didn't.
    3. He won three leagues and three cups with Celtic. I never said he didn't.
    4. He got Celtic to a European final. I never said he didn't.
    5. He managed Villa to three consecutive top 6 finishes. I never said he didn't.
    6. He qualified Ireland for a championship and reached the knockout stages. I never said he didn't.

I didn't dispute any of it. You just listed his history from mostly 20 years ago. You could make a list like that for any modern manager....even the maligned ones.

But most importantly absolutely NONE of what you just said addresses ANY of the points I made or the criticisms leveled at O Neill.

He doesn't do tactics. His players have confirmed this.
    He picks the wrong players for Ireland, often in the wrong positions.
    We look clueless about what the actual plan is, as can been seen in our most recent game. i.e. launch balls to Murphy yet have nobody near him/running past him for flick ons.
    We created virtually nothing of note in attack.
    We gave up several guilt edge chances that we were lucky didn't go in.
    The FAI gave a man a new contract despite the fact we hadn't qualified.

Now, you can just list his history again or you could respond to any of that and tell me where I'm wrong.

And as for respect? He seems like a decent guy who dealt with personal tragedy. That doesn't make him immune to criticism. I view him as a very poor manager for the reasons listed and think Ireland would be better off without him.....and unlike some of you in here I laid out my opinion without getting nasty. Just because I don't drink the MON kool-aid doesn't make me disrespectful. I also think its not surprising that the majority of the folks in here defending him are Celtic fans.

• Advertisement

He doesn't do tactics.

Aaaaaaand welcome to muteland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I didn't dispute any of it. You just listed his history from mostly 20 years ago. You could make a list like that for any modern manager....even the maligned ones.

But most importantly absolutely NONE of what you just said addresses ANY of the points I made or the criticisms leveled at O Neill.

We look clueless about what the actual plan is, as can been seen in our most recent game. i.e. launch balls to Murphy yet have nobody near him/running past him for flick ons.

Now, you can just list his history again or you could respond to any of that and tell me where I'm wrong.

And as for respect? He seems like a decent guy who dealt with personal tragedy. That doesn't make him immune to criticism. I view him as a very poor manager for the reasons listed and think Ireland would be better off without him.....and unlike some of you in here I laid out my opinion without getting nasty. Just because I don't drink the MON kool-aid doesn't make me disrespectful. I also think its not surprising that the majority of the folks in here defending him are Celtic fans.
    And still he comes back for more. Hilarious gibberish

Yeah, thats a mature way to have a discussion. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over not being able to debate with a person who's response to question is to stick their fingers in their ears and go "lalalalal not listening!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lads regardless of how we feel about the Oneill style of management we are all in the one camp tonight. One thing matters and thats making Russia.

Lest we forget its been 15 years since Korea and Japan. None of should wamt that prolonged.

Come on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

No, no I didn’t. The Leicester stuff was 20 years ago. The Celtic job was 15 years ago. The Villa job was 10 years ago. Ireland is very recent. So he’s consistently achieved for 20 years. Give me a maligned manager who has done likewise.

He manages in a particular way. It works for him. There’s more than one way to do it. AVB, for example, was all tactics and PowerPoint and failed badly in his two biggest jobs.

Fergie and Big Jack to name two weren’t really known as training ground managers either. Both phenomenally successful.

And if you think O´Neill doesn’t do tactics, you’re misguided. There were clear tactics on Saturday. You can disagree with them but when you look at how we set up defensively, you can’t say it was tactic-free.

Again, I’ve no issue with criticism of O´Neill or his style of play. I had a go earlier today in this thread. But to dismiss him as a “lucky” manager just completely ignores the facts and proves you’re irredeemably biased against him.

• Advertisement

And if you think O´Neill doesn’t do tactics, you’re misguided. There were clear tactics on Saturday. You can disagree with them but when you look at how we set up defensively, you can’t say it was tactic-free..

Professional footballers who have worked with him, who know him better than you or I, have said as much.
    Again, I’ve no issue with criticism of O´Neill or his style of play. I had a go earlier today in this thread. But to dismiss him as a “lucky” manager just completely ignores the facts and proves you’re irredeemably biased against him.

Why would I be biased against him? He didn't shoot my dog. He's a football manager, one of many who I believe to be a poor one for reasons I've already outlined. I'm not basing my opinion on emotion because I supported Celtic or Rangers. I'm basing it on what I can see him provide the Irish team over the last few years......which isn't good enough. To intimate I'm alone in wanting O Neill gone is not only crazy, it's intellectually dishonest.

And he was lucky on Saturday. Are you trying to claim it was good management that caused Cisto to blaze the ball wide from an open goal? We didn't battle to a deserved 0-0 draw. We got outplayed by a frankly average team no better than use and conceded enough chances to lose the game. We didn't.....and that was fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

A *frankly average* team that had Champions league players on their bench and we can't even manage one in our starting line up. I think familiarity of our team leads people to think we're better than we are but anyone weighing up both squads and saying they're no better really needs to watch more European football. This has been a running theme throughout our group from certain posters in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Shay Given was just on the The Last Word and also said O Neill doesnt do tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    He was saying the same thing on SC a few weeks ago when Sadlier interviewed him as it's in his book. He doesn't even give any instructions about the opposition.

I dont know who to believe or what to believe. To be fair MON has been a sucessful manager over the years so he must be doing something. Hopefully there is a plan tonight and we get a win.

alta stare wrote: »
    Shay Given was just on the The Last Word and also said O Neill doesnt do tactics.

No see......Bellamy, Sutton, Given. These are just professional footballers who worked with him. They don't know him like johnpatrick81 does. :rolleyes:

This is spiraling into the abyss lol. Has anyone ever been to a live Ireland game? My seat is just behind the Irish bench. He spends the entire game yelling positional instructions to his team to the point where he irritatingly blocks your view at times.

Anyway we're nearly there. Let's be positive for a few hours. COYBIG!!!!!

alta stare wrote: »

He also said Santa is real.

“Doesn’t do tactics”.

Sure he’s just there for his charming personality and fun chats with Tony o d....

You do realize that picking the team and the formation counts as tactics right? You do realize that “kick the ball as far away from our goal” is still a tactic right?

Yeah, thats a mature way to have a discussion. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over not being able to debate with a person who's response to question is to stick their fingers in their ears and go "lalalalal not listening!"

A certain section of posters here have been fairly rabid over the past twenty four hours or so.
    It's exactly that, blocking the ears and just becoming completely irritated because people have differing opinions about MONs Ireland. (Who'd of thought on a public forum eh?!)

The maturity level it seems on the end of those keyboards appears to be low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Let's be positive for a few hours. COYBIG!!!!!

Not a hope. Theres no Hoolahan. The wannabe Dunphys be whinging about it for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    This is spiraling into the abyss lol. Has anyone ever been to a live Ireland game? My seat is just behind the Irish bench. He spends the entire game yelling positional instructions to his team to the point where he irritatingly blocks your view at times.

Anyway we're nearly there. Let's be positive for a few hours. COYBIG!!!!!

My sons under 15 coach does the same thing.......iv been told its the only tome he gives instructions to his players.......so MON screaming and shouting may mean f all. :D

But to be fair i doubt MON gives the players zero instructions in the run up to games, he would not have done what he has done if he didnt.

He also said Santa is real.

“Doesn’t do tactics”.

Sure he’s just there for his charming personality and fun chats with Tony o d....

You do realize that picking the team and the formation counts as tactics right? You do realize that “kick the ball as far away from our goal” is still a tactic right?

No he didnt say a word about Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

pjohnson wrote: »
    Not a hope. Theres no Hoolahan. The wannabe Dunphys be whinging about it for a few weeks.

Doesn't mean no hope just long ball, long free kicks and long throws no mixing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

One change meyler in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is the team announced yet?

Yes. Meyler for O'Dowda only change.

Is the team announced yet?

Yes it's on the match thread. Some poor choices but not surprising at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

wow some how MON manges to name a less creative side than the last game , at this satge i question do i actully want to watch us at a world cup its horrific

wow some how MON manges to name a less creative side than the last game , at this satge i question do i actully want to watch us at a world cup its horrific

Unfollow the thread, don’t watch the match, all your woes solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some amount of negative nacies in here, support your country.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No see......Bellamy, Sutton, Given. These are just professional footballers who worked with him. They don't know him like johnpatrick81 does. :rolleyes:

Negative nelly!!! Or some other pointless reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You can still support a team whether you think they're playing well or not. It'd be pretty fairweather to only do it when they're good.

We're on the verge of qualifying for the second major tournament in succession, we've only ever done once before. Given our lack of any top top quality players we're punching way above our weight. But some people will never be happy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Cup final football
    A match will break out after the hour mark

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    We're on the verge of qualifying for the second major tournament in succession, we've only ever done once before. Given our lack of any top top quality players we're punching way above our weight. But some people will never be happy.

Ah ya, but to be fair, everyone qualified for the last tournament.

• Advertisement

Dreadful but MON created this

Once we cowered taking the lead the game was only going one way

When you continue to hand the ball to the opposition that luck will eventually run out

Its veen said time and time again MON has no clue how to approch a game unless its a everyome defend and hope for a stroke of luck ,
    He doesnt have a idea what to do to try win a game and play football ,
    Murphy upfront on his own is a joke the lad cant move ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Too soon for the "next manager" discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

All we need is

1. A penalty to us
    2. A danish OG

And we back in it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

All we needed was wes and long for ward and murphy.

Move brady to left back.

What was he thinking with those subs.

he left brady and Hendrix as our midfeild at 2-1 it was always going to end bad ,
    Weve to watch this crap for another 2 years and seen as everyone qualifies for the next Euro itll probably be 4 years

Move brady to left back.

More fearful / dreadful decisions

Move brady to left back.

We needed a whole lot more than that buddy:pac: Perhaps a few players playing at a high level like Eriksen

Fair play to FAI for giving him a new contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

circadian wrote: »
    Too soon for the "next manager" discussion?

Might as well start the "manager isn't using our ****e players properly" discussion while you're at it.

Time to bring in Ancellotti.

I cant wait for The Talking Bread and his defending of MON now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ye're all very clever all these conversations next manager etc are more relavant tonight more than ever

Management have done a great job papering over the cracks in recent years, but if anyone thinks this squad has underachieved in any way you're simply wildly delusional about our ability.

A sad night of glaring individual errors from average players.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Ye're all very clever all these conversations next manager etc are more relavant tonight more than ever

Managers? What about players? -- We've been tonked by a nation with the same population as us.

We need some sort of a functioning domestic league — we’ve let young talent go over and just get swallowed up in England and come back disinterested at 23. The FAI have no interest in investing in domestic football - it’s ****ing shameful… The Irish public have their part to blame here also… expecting to compete but filling out pubs on the weekend in their Man Uts and Liverpool tops instead of investing local. World football has moved on, you have to have a first touch, be technical and physical to compete at top level ... we're lacking the first two in abundance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement