Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting electrical supply reconnected

Options
  • 11-11-2017 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance, this might seem to be one of these how long is a bit of string questions.

I am looking at purchasing a cottage that was rewired in around 1989 when it was refurbished and an extension built on.

Around 2002 / 2003 a number of storage heaters were added.

The electricity supply has been disconnected about 4 years. Probably by removing the main fuse. The meters are present and the supply and poles are all in place.

I have the BER cert so I can get the MPRN number.

Anyone any ballpark ideas on what it would cost to get it connected.

I think I need to
    1. Pay Electric Ireland to get it connected
    2. Get a test / check done on the wiring (how much would this be approx).
    3. Is it likely that a house wired in 1989 would need any work i.e would the standards have changed etc....

Just looking at budgeting for it at the moment so any help would be appriciated.

Ironically I trained with the ESB in 1981 as a sparks with the ESB, but I have not been on the tools in the domestic wiring arena since I quallified.

From the suppliers point of view popping in a main fuse is probably all that is required.

Many thanks for the advice.

From Googling if the supply is OK, I just need to pay the re energisation fee and get a cert. Any idea how much the reenergisation fee is.

Just found the schedule of charges P31 https://esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/esb-networks-ltd-statement-of-charges Looks like 70 exc vat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Ive had to get reconnected on the last 2 houses i bought.
    As you have said - if everything is still in place on the ESB side, the fee is about 70 euros.

The question mark hangs on what needs to be done inside. You need a registered electrical contractor to certify the internal wiring. Id be very surprised if nothing needed to be done.

e.g. I bet, for starters, there's no earths in the light switches. Bonding of the pipework is prob needed also. Is there an earth rod sunk? (these you can prob check easily enough yourself)

Then after that its whatever comes out of the testing that the electrician does to issue the cert. resistance tests etc. He will have to fix anything that fails (and will obviously charge you for it).

So yeah it depends what needs doing really.

If its any use to you (and its probablynot) i paid about 500 in 2012 for running the earths to lights and light switches, bonding pipes, and issuing the cert. Price also included fitting an electric shower which i supplied. 3 bed semi in dublin.

I had to do it more recently but opted for total re-wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pretty sure I read here recently that if the power was off for more than a few years then everything in the house has to be brought up to today's standard before it can be connected. This could mean a complete rewire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks for this. I will check the earths on the light switches and bonding.

There is an earth rod outside the door.

My own house built 1997 does not have earths in the light switches.

Many thanks

Advertisement