Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Story Thread

Options
  • 11-11-2017 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

I am deeply unhappy with the moderation of the Abortion story thread.

Pro life posters are being deliberately targeted by other users.

And I believe I have been silenced because im not part of the pro-choice brigade on boards.

This is one of four active threads about abortion on boards. I do firmly believe (and from what ive been told by mates) that their an active campaign to keep abortion on the front pages and discussed by certain groups.

Is there really a need for four abortion threads?

Should there not be a separate forum for this or at least a dedicated thread?

Is the abortion story thread really an AH thread? Does it fit with the rules if posters are not meant to comment unless they meet certain criteria?

Finally, not sure if you can answer this, but ive been informed that there is a private members only forum hosted by boards.ie than is part of a pro-choice group network (which boards members post in) Is there any truth in that or just BS?

cheers!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As always, when you are unhappy with moderation, the recommended first step is to discuss this with the moderators. Have you attempted to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

dudara wrote: »
    As always, when you are unhappy with moderation, the recommended first step is to discuss this with the moderators. Have you attempted to do this?

Oh its not a dispute or infraction. Its the general nature of the thread and other questions i posed.

I know you are personally interested in it, but is it an AH thread or more humanities or dedicated forum?

You're questioning the nature of moderation, and discussion topics in the forum. That's for the mods to direct and steer.

I do have an interest in the topic, but it is not my forum to direct. I post just like any other poster and I use Report Post to let the mods know when I think something needs attention, just like any other poster.

Please try to contact the mods and discuss it with them.

Are you able to answer my other questions or are they to be ignored and deflected to AH?

1) Should there not be a separate forum for this or at least a dedicated thread considering in AH alone 4 threads, at least 1 in AA 1 in Pregnancy, etc?

2) Is the abortion story thread really an AH thread? Does it fit with the rules if posters are not meant to comment unless they meet certain criteria? (is this an email to an AH mod?)

3) Finally, not sure if you can answer this, but ive been informed that there is a private members only forum hosted by boards.ie than is part of a pro-choice group network (which boards members post in) Is there any truth in that or just BS

I would like the input of the AH mods for points 1 and 2. They are at the coal front for many topics and I value their input.

For point 3, I am not aware of such a forum.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I have emailed an AH mod.

I have not heard back from the Mod about this, I will wait until tomorrow evening as people are busy with real life.

I would like to start a thread on peoples negative experiences or beliefs about abortion. This thread should only be for people who share pro life views and pro choice people can continue to use existing forums (as stated by a mod in the abortion stories thread)

There is a definite and strange silence over this.

1) this is a thread which many posters cannot commit in AH or take part in, therefore has no business in AH, just like we created the werewolf forum for that game away from AH as certain users were prevented from commenting.

2) it is alarming the amount of posters and regular site users who have been silenced by this for objecting to abortion or these pro choice only AH threads

3) If boards is commiting to a pro choice forum or support for repeal movement, ye might as well just publicly admit it at this stage.

Apologies, I’ve been quite busy at work (I’m only just in the door) and I haven’t had time to be very actively involved. I’ll see if another Admin can look after this.

Looking at that thread, I think there’s good robust discussion from both sides. The trouble is keeping the discussion robust and healthy, without the usual fighting, moralising and soapboxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There is a definite and strange silence over this.
    What's strange exactly? If you think that there is some manner of conspiracy against you or Pro-Life posters you are wrong.
    1) this is a thread which many posters cannot commit in AH or take part in, therefore has no business in AH, just like we created the werewolf forum for that game away from AH as certain users were prevented from commenting.

2) it is alarming the amount of posters and regular site users who have been silenced by this for objecting to abortion or these pro choice only AH threads
    How so? If members debate constructively & in a civil fashion, follow mod instruction & site rules - there shouldn't be an issue.
    3) If boards is commiting to a pro choice forum or support for repeal movement, ye might as well just publicly admit it at this stage.
    Boards is not committing to anything. Give it a rest. Seriously.

• Advertisement

A number of posters have already been told not to participate in that thread

Its clearly stated that the thread is only for Pro-choice crowds.

Also I can see I am currently under discussion by posters in that thread, for starting this discussion in feedback.

Give it a rest??????? THAT is you actual reply. I am raising genuine concerns here about this thread!!!!!!

Posters have been told that only abortion stories are acceptable, fine, then I will tell stories of abortions gone horribly wrong and the dangers they can create or adoption as alternatives.

Boards does not have an agenda. Boards is not aligned with any political party, social movement, etc, etc. It is not Pro-Choice, it is not Pro-Life. So, cut out the conspiracy theories.

If there's a thread rule that states that the thread has a bias for Pro-Choice discussion, that's entirely fine. Our mods have that level of discretion. In the forum I mod - Dublin County North - we have a thread specifically for positive stories about Fingal Co Co. That's not to say that somebody couldn't start a thread about issues with Fingal Co Co as long as the discussion is civil & adheres to forum/site rules, etc.

As for your concerns about this specific thread - I'm not seeing any issues to be honest. The mods are handling it just fine.

So After Hours ( a light hearted thread) needs to have three or four active threads related to the one topic?? Why not just create a super thread or an 8th amendment forum so both sides could slug it out? I really must start a thread on what ilegal drugs have you tried, and see how long until that gets shot down.

Will I be allowed then to start a thread about the negative effects of abortion of stories of those who have had abortions but only those who agree with me can comment? I doubt it.

Im not trying to shut the thread down, but there are forums more suited than AH.

By you calling for a superthread for "both sides to slug it out" I can only assume that you are not considering that any such discussion would be civilized. So I can totally see why the AH Mods wouldn't want to create a such a thread.

As for their being four active threads on the subject (I've only seen two TBH) - yeah, that is a bit much. I'd imaging that the AH Mods would think so themselves.

Regarding your question about whether you could start a thread on this or that topic - ask the mods.

Its clearly stated that the thread is only for Pro-choice crowds.

Ive gone back and re-read the thread, and I must call you out on the above statement. The mods have clearly stated that the thread is open to all who wish to share their experience of abortion.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105251221&postcount=279
    This thread is to share your experience with abortion. Pro-life views are welcome.

dudara wrote: »
    Ive gone back and re-read the thread, and I must call you out on the above statement. The mods have clearly stated that the thread is open to all who wish to share their experience of abortion.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105251221&postcount=279

the thread is clearly not open to all, as such like all AH threads. It has been stated it is only for Abortion experiences, thus ruling out a lot of posters. Anyone who posts somethibg against abortion or negative experiences is nearly immediately shot down by the usual militant posters and admins and mods liking those posts

Complete and utter one sided nonsense. Its clear that this feedback thread is useless as you pro choice admins want this to promote abortion and attempt to gain media traction.

The only thing I am interested in promoting from a Boards perspective is a fair and open discussion, where posters are respectful of each other and of the forum rules.

a fair and open discussion?
    Thats not true. One mod is threatening to hand out bans like a deck of cards as its for 'experiences only' whike another mod is telling people to post in the other thread

So this is an AH thread, not open to all.

If i started a thread about a football league game it he moved by mods, the same rules should apply. If i started a thread on latest opinion poll, the thread would be moved. If i posted a Muslim/traveller thread it be closed down.

This thread should be in the humanities forum, not AH. Its completely hypocritical that it continues to be in AH. The AH mods are activily posting their own pro abortion views, mods who aborted their babies are pushing the repeal vote in that thread. Its plain wrong, not fit for purppse, not balanced and extremely tweaked to suit a pro choice movement.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

a fair and open discussion?
    Thats not true. One mod is threatening to hand out bans like a deck of cards as its for 'experiences only'

And what exactly is the problem there? That's what the thread is for, not for debating the rights or wrongs of abortion. That's been done to death on so many threads already and will continue on so many more in the future. You've reported the mod's post for "mod bias", when the first line of the post states this (underline is mine):

Mod note: This thread is discussing peoples experiences of abortion and reasons why they had and didn't have abortions!

How exactly is that biased? The thread is specifically for people to post their experiences, from either side, and yet from what I've seen from some reported posts some people can't help themselves from getting into a debate about why they hold a particular position on the subject. I fail to see how the mod has acted improperly, people are ignoring simple instructions and are being warned of the consequences if they continue to do so.

Zaph wrote: »
    And what exactly is the problem there? That's what the thread is for, not for debating the rights or wrongs of abortion. That's been done to death on so many threads already and will continue on so many more in the future. You've reported the mod's post for "mod bias", when the first line of the post states this (underline is mine):

Mod note: This thread is discussing peoples experiences of abortion and reasons why they had and didn't have abortions!

How exactly is that biased? The thread is specifically for people to post their experiences, from either side, and yet from what I've seen from some reported posts some people can't help themselves from getting into a debate about why they hold a particular position on the subject. I fail to see how the mod has acted improperly, people are ignoring simple instructions and are being warned of the consequences if they continue to do so.

The mod is biased. He told a very personal heart wrenching story. How can a person take a neutral stance and fairly mod, particularly when they seem to like certain posts. It slants the whole process. They cannot. Im going to see if i can convicnce others to post with their negative experiences in that thread. For balance purposes of course.

The thread should be in the humanities forum. Its hardly a light hearted thread for AH, particularly that another mod, bumped a second abortion thread to the front page. And a third is still ongoing.

Also unware that reported posts were made public my admin or mods. I was under the impression same rules as PM applied so clarification is required there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The mod is biased. He told a very personal heart wrenching story. How can a person take a neutral stance and fairly mod, particularly when they seem to like certain posts. It slants the whole process. They cannot.

I haven't read the thread, or their post, so I can't comment on the mod's experience. What I can see is a crystal clear instruction as to what the thread is for, and a bunch of reported posts where people are either ignoring that instruction. Whether they're wilfully ignoring it or not I don't know, but that doesn't matter, the fact remains that if they don't follow the instruction they will be carded or banned. Issuing an instruction to stay on-topic doesn't require a stance, neutral or otherwise, it's simply an instruction to stay on-topic.
    Im going to see if i can convicnce others to post with their negative experiences in that thread. For balance purposes of course.

Good. And I mean that. That's what the thread is for. What point is there in only ever hearing one side of a story, so if there are people with experiences that are counter to the prevailing ones that have been posted then it gives people a better understanding of the issue.
    The thread should be in the humanities forum. Its hardly a light hearted thread for AH, particularly that another mod, bumped a second abortion thread to the front page. And a third is still ongoing.

Not every thread in AH has to be light-hearted, but you're aware of that already. Maybe it could be in Humanities, maybe it's fine where it is, tbh does the forum it's in really matter?
    Also unware that reported posts were made public my admin or mods. I was under the impression same rules as PM applied so clarification is required there.

While generally reported posts are not posted publicly, in this case it was relevant to the claims you were making in your previous post. The main reason reported posts are not posted publicly is because under normal circumstances the poster will be unaware that their post had been reported and there is nothing to be gained from divulging that information, and in many cases it could be counter-productive. However in this case you reported the post of a mod in a forum they moderate, so it's not as if they were unaware of their post being reported.

Advertisement