Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gear to wear tomorrow

Options
  • 11-11-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Sappy question but going out with a local group tomorrow morning for a 50km spin. Fur various reasons I haven't been on the bike since August so just wondering what people recommend in terms of gear to wear.

I don't think it's full on winter gear time yet (skull cap under the helmet, compression top under a heavy winter top, full length gloves, tights and thick over shoes) but it's definitely no longer summer!!

I'm thinking shorts instead of winter tights, no over shoes or skull cap but heavy top and gloves.

Sound about right? The one thing I really hate is cold feet so maybe light over shoes.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Hi-viz. Only way to 100% guarantee your safety.

*According to the good folks of Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Sappy question but going out with a local group tomorrow morning for a 50km spin. Fur various reasons I haven't been on the bike since August so just wondering what people recommend in terms of gear to wear.

I don't think it's full on winter gear time yet (skull cap under the helmet, compression top under a heavy winter top, full length gloves, tights and thick over shoes) but it's definitely no longer summer!!

I'm thinking shorts instead of winter tights, no over shoes or skull cap but heavy top and gloves.

Sound about right? The one thing I really hate is cold feet so maybe light over shoes.

Id go as you are but with the overshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

I'm in bib legging , overshoes and shell jacket since last weekend and again today. Definitely cold enough and I don't suffer from the cold. Only saw one guy in shorts last weekend and his legs were bright red :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the forecast is for a light ground frost tomorrow morning, reckon i'll be in bib leggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Galibier bib leggings & jacket, both Mistral with a long sleeve Under Armour baselayer with Galibier gloves and peak cap facing wrong way, add in the overshoes and I'm pure toasty for 4hrs plus on the bike.

It's just too cold now even especially at 9.am for shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

i think the forecast is for a light ground frost tomorrow morning, reckon i'll be in bib leggings.

Looks cool and sunny from mid morning

http://www.upl.co

I think overshoes, bib leggings and light high viz over a medium rather than winter top with full length gloves. No skull cap yet but will tuck it away into the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

dahat wrote: »
    Galibier bib leggings & jacket, both Mistral with a long sleeve Under Armour baselayer with Galibier gloves and peak cap facing wrong way, add in the overshoes and I'm pure toasty for 4hrs plus on the bike.

Wore a similar combination last Sunday and it was perfect before the coffee stop in 4-5 degrees. Overheated a bit on the way back when it got up to 8-9 degrees. I suppose I could have taken the base layer off but it's a bit of an effort at the side of the road.

Wore a similar combination last Sunday and it was perfect before the coffee stop in 4-5 degrees. Overheated a bit on the way back when it got up to 8-9 degrees. I suppose I could have taken the base layer off but it's a bit of an effort at the side of the road.

Long sleeve UA maybe a tad too much but I'd rather be bit hit going home as taking gloves off can cool you off I find.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tri suit, shoes with below knee socks and a nice bright set of arm warmers (write your name on your shoulders with permanent marker so your clubmates will recognise you)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I put leg warmers and overshoes on today for 1st time. Was possibly overkill over 3/4 Lycra legs but when it rained, I was glad of them. Wish my hands were the same. Ever since being hit by a car in June last year, my thumbs and index fingers are numb! Add a bit of cold plus wet and my hands are hanging off me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

secman wrote: »
    .... Definitely cold enough and I don't suffer from the cold....
    You certainly don't if your attire at the DAA Charity Cycle this year was anything to go by - bitterly cold morning and you're in a short sleeve jersey! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You certainly don't if your attire at the DAA Charity Cycle this year was anything to go by - bitterly cold morning and you're in a short sleeve jersey! :D

Impressive! The standard has been set! I seen someone out in Manor Kilbride in shorts yesterday....I did not think it was a shorts day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I was glad of my 851 Airjacket, leg warmers and shoe covers yesterday afternoon! Will go with the same today!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Yesterdays 50km spin was my first time on the bike in 8 weeks. I went out in my "Autumn gear" I.e. a long sleeved Galibier "wind" top, Galibier bib shorts and ankle socks with fingerless mitts. Now anyone who knows me says "he doesn't feel the cold" and my girlfriend uses me as a human radiator for her ice cold feet! However I was very very cold yesterday and had to really push hard on the bike to keep my temperature up. I was glad to hop into a hot shower when I got home and I stayed there for a long time to warm up.

So to cut a long story short, put the shorts and light jerseys away now and get into your winter gear as its no fun freezing your bits off! I'm going out tomorrow for an 80km spin and I'll have my Galibier roubaix bib tights on, my merino long sleeve shirt and my mistral jacket. I'll also put the Galibier toe covers on. I know that'll keep me toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Howling gale hailstones winter jacket full bibs and outer shell. Need them all today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Howling gale hailstones winter jacket full bibs and outer shell. Need them all today.

Out at 6.50am on cx bike.

4.5C. Shorts, mitts and a light gilet over a baselayer. Mtb shoes no overshoes.

Was grand, the 1200m climbing probably helped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

You weren't wrong there!!

Thanks all for the info.

Went to bed with intentions of wearing mostly Autumn gear, got up, went out to feed the dogs and promptly put it all away (as D13exile suggested) and wore the full winter gear.

Boy was I glad I did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Out in the winter gear too - galbier winter tights , merino base layer, Castelli alpha jacket and verge sports winter cap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

today i wore the cheapo aldi winter jacket with the aldi arm warmers underneath, bib leggings (not winter specific ones), full length gloves and overshoes. was pretty spot on, except my arms were too warm. gloves were getting wet with sweat about an hour and 20 in. was about 6C i think, in a stiffer than expected breeze.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Out at 6.50am on cx bike.

4.5C. Shorts, mitts and a light gilet over a baselayer. Mtb shoes no overshoes.

Was grand, the 1200m climbing probably helped

Madman...I was out at 8.40am, full winter gear as detailed above and I was pure toasty.

• Advertisement

despite having very little hair (just a blade 0 every few weeks), i don't ever seem to have issues with a cold head. maybe it's acclimatisation, maybe my helmet is not as vented as some others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Warm base layer, Rapha country long sleeved jersey, Verge club defender gillet, club verge sports and leg warmers, Castelli warm over shoes and planer X wind gloves. Felt comfortable but glad we were tipping along ..

Kuotobia giving an impressive display of power on the drag towards monasterboice too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Shorts and nothing else. Mind you, I was swimming!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Shorts and nothing else. Mind you, I was swimming!

Hope not followed by a cycle then a run.....

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Almost full winter gear today, left the skull cap at home and was sorry when the wind shifted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I'm with D13 on this one. Today I wore a two thin merino layers and a Gabba shortsleeve, plus nanotex arms; shorts plus unpadded bib-tights with windproof bits, sealskins socks and gloves, and neoprene shoe covers. I wasn't going mad fast, but I wasn't too hot by any means. I also wore a thin fleece skull-cap under my lid.

Yesterday's audax I wore a similar setup, but one less layer of merino on top, and a pair 3/4 shorts, plus full-length leg-warmers. We didn't hang around much, and I was never too hot.

So - no shorts. No short jerseys. The wind is but cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Out at midday 6dg...
    Shorts under bibtights , two pairs socks and overshoes, aldi merino under club winter jacket , aldi gloves and a skull cap.
    Stopped after 40 km for a centra coffee and got cool very quick ,
    Rattled on for the next 30 or so and felt I got it just right.
    It's winter !! But what a day to be out on the coast !

is there such a thing as a cycling specific willy warmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭obi604

dahat wrote: »

Sorry, don’t know much about cycling and just stumbled upon this thread.

Is there a r Aston why you would wear a peak cap facing backwards ?

Or am I being stupid and this is this some cycling joke I’m missing etc

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Sorry, don’t know much about cycling and just stumbled upon this thread.

Is there a r Aston why you would wear a peak cap facing backwards ?

Or am I being stupid and this is this some cycling joke I’m missing etc

Basically I have a shaved head and sweat quite a bit so I find the hat is decent at stopping sweat running down my face.
    It's backwards because the peak doesn't sit well with my Kask helmet n I personally find this way more comfortable.

Advertisement