Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths or ordinary?

Options
  • 11-11-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

I had my parent teacher meeting on Thursday just gone. They discussed on me doing HL Maths for Leaving Cert.

My ability at Maths I would say is perfectly middle of the road. I'm not the best, I'm not the worst. I frequently get Cs and sometimes Ds. The current careers I'm aiming for the future right now - I change all the time - are music education, musician, songwriting and meteorology (which I will go back to school and do Physics if I still want to do it by that time). I stress very easily and frequently over school. People tell me that there is no point in me doing HL Maths as a result (bar Meteorology, which according to them, I will very unlikely do) but I'm doing it because I feel that I can get a C and get those bonus 25 points. I also want to open up my options or opportunities as much as possible. However, others say that I should not be stressing myself doing HL Maths. I'm HL everything (Irish, Maths, Business, Music, Geography and French) bar English.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing by staying at HL Maths or should I drop to pass/ordinary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

I'll give you some input on this situation. Doing the leaving cert myself at the moment. I'm doing ordinary maths but I did drop down from higher level after 5th year, I got a B in the junior cert ( and that was my consistent score throughout 3rd year) but HL leaving cert maths is a different playing field. If you're willing to study for it then go for it, even try it in 5th year and if you're not suited to it you can drop down. Some of the stuff included in the course can be heavy at times and can be quite complicated, if you can't grasp it, there's no point wasting time with it (especially when it can be stressful at the best of times), when that time can be used with other work ( projects etc.). Based on that I wouldn't be recommending people to do HL maths but that's just my view on it however you could be bad at Junior cert but thrive at leaving cert maths, so if you want, give it a try, if it's not suited to you (like myself), it should be easy to drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I got an A in the Junior at HL, and am in 5th year at the moment and struggling really badly. We've had 3 tests so far and I did really well on my first but failed my second. It really is up to you. If you feel like you've tried your best and it's still too hard or if it's not for you, then drop down. There's no point struggling and stressing over the one subject when you have other subjects to focus on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's quite early to drop, sryan, especially if you're running a D+ / C average.

It's easy to drop down, not so easy to move back up later if you change your mind.

If it is adding a lot of extra stress, that might be something you need to take into account though (and from previous convos, I believe you when you say that you can get quite stressed over school! :D).

However, if you're coping, I'd kinda agree with keeping your options open as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chailatte99

I'm doing my Leaving Cert too. I do higher everything except maths, & got a C in higher Junior Cert Maths. I would recommend you stay in it if you can get a C/D in it because those extra 25 are fantastic! However, if it you're doing it at the expense of your other subjects, you really should consider dropping.

I tried Higher myself until Christmasof 5th year. I hadn't a clue what was happening 80% of time. I spent so much time studying it, my tests in other subjects went way down, & I was only get 30% in the maths tests despite all my effort. I'm glad I dropped because I know the only way I could come close to passing is if I sacrificed a grade or 2 off my other subjects. If you're in that situation, please drop, for your own peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's quite early to drop, sryan, especially if you're running a D+ / C average.

It's easy to drop down, not so easy to move back up later if you change your mind.

If it is adding a lot of extra stress, that might be something you need to take into account though (and from previous convos, I believe you when you say that you can get quite stressed over school! :D).

However, if you're coping, I'd kinda agree with keeping your options open as long as possible.

After some thinking, yeah I can't cope with HL Maths. I've especially been terrible lately with it. We're doing Geometry and Constructions right now, the sections I'm the worst at besides Perimeter, Area and Volume. My resource teacher also said to me on Thursday that I should not be putting myself through this just for 25 bonus points.

Not to mention, I have to have perfect attendance for the class which is literally impossible for a person like myself. I get frequent stress. I tend to be sick a lot. I am sick today for example, this is my second day this year so far absent.

Thanks for all the advice but I feel that I really cannot cope with the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fair enough, but at least you took your time and gave it a fair bit of thought before you made your decision. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

I think that you should be happy with your choice and give your best efforts to the remaining subjects. I think everyone should be given an opportunity to try Higher Level Maths but the time and stress may outweigh the potential benefits. One thing that needs to be taken into consideration by students is that if it is the worst of your 7 higher level subjects then the likelihood is that you won't get the full benefit from the 25 points anyway.

A student with 2 H3's, 2H4's and 2 H5's who scrapes the H6 in Higher Level Maths is only 15 points better off having done Higher Maths.
    A student with 1 H2, 3H3's, 2H4's and a H6 in Maths is 5 points better off.

Obviously these are hypothetical situations (and throw in a couple of Ordinary Level subjects and the decision is a little more difficult) but I guess the point is that everyone is different and for one person taking the higher is a great idea and for another it makes less sense. I teach a girl in 5th year who was getting in the 60's in all her tests but made the decision to drop down as it was taking all her time and she felt totally stressed out. I know she would have passed and I would loved her to have stayed in the higher level but she is much happier now. If anyone is stressing at the thoughts of Higher Level Maths feel free to come back on here for any advice or help that might alleviate some of the worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ok it's been a week since I decided to drop to OL Maths and I gotta say, why the hell did I not do this ages ago? I don't worry about it at all now. It's soooo easy.

Advertisement