Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss up to no good, what to do?

Options
  • 11-11-2017 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I've recently started a new job and discovered that my boss is doing things that are against company policy. I have been instructed to hide a few matters from HR. My worry is that if I do, I will be implicated. Where can I get independent advice or counselling on how to deal with the matter? It is causing me a great deal of stress.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 HumbleBumble

Just started a new job in public sector only to find new boss doing things which might be against employment law. This puts me in a difficult position because he is asking me to lie on when submitting information to HR. What can I do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1) Join a union
    2) Check out the whistleblowing procedures in your organisation

1) Join a union
    2) Check out the whistleblowing procedures in your organisation

I'm part of a union but I'm almost sure nothing will happen to my boss as its public sector and I'll still need to work with him after, not sure we even have a whistleblowing procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

He's getting you to lie. You'd better do something now and nip it in the bud or else carry on and more than likely you'll be sacked. Tell the union or else tell HR who he's asking you to lie to.

I'm part of a union but I'm almost sure nothing will happen to my boss as its public sector and I'll still need to work with him after
    I'm not worried about what will happen to him, I'm worried about what will happen to you. So at a minimum, you need to make sure you have a union behind you.

not sure we even have a whistleblowing procedure.
    You almost certainly do, which is why I raised the issue. If you're new to the organisation, you mightn't have seen it, but check it out.

Gather evidence of what you're being asked to do, and of your response confirming that you're not going to lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,551 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm part of a union but I'm almost sure nothing will happen to my boss as its public sector and I'll still need to work with him after, not sure we even have a whistleblowing procedure.

There absolutely are repercussions but they need someone to push them. I know someone demoted from a management position in the public service for submitting blatant lies, the person who found it made a complaint and after an investigation the liar was demoted and a subordinate moved up to their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Firstly have an unofficial chat with the union. Secondly you are under a 3 month then 6 month then 1 yr evaluation in the public sector so approach with caution. Thirdly HR look after the company and in the case of public sector they are very aware of any bad PR.
    The public sector most certainly has a whistle blowing procedure - look up dignity at work policy. But don't bank on it sorting out your problem

I'm not worried about what will happen to him, I'm worried about what will happen to you. So at a minimum, you need to make sure you have a union behind you.

You almost certainly do, which is why I raised the issue. If you're new to the organisation, you mightn't have seen it, but check it out.

Gather evidence of what you're being asked to do, and of your response confirming that you're not going to lie.

Thanks, I have looked it up and there is a whistleblower policy. I'm just super anxious that things will be turned around to make it look like I've been involved. My problem is that my boss keeps very poor records and it will be very hard to remain anonymous while gathering any sort of usable records. Am I able to photostat documents from my boss's files or would that be considered a breach of his privacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Thanks, I have looked it up and there is a whistleblower policy. I'm just super anxious that things will be turned around to make it look like I've been involved. My problem is that my boss keeps very poor records and it will be very hard to remain anonymous while gathering any sort of usable records. Am I able to photostat documents from my boss's files or would that be considered a breach of his privacy?

I certainly wouldn't go snooping around his office and files but have a word with your union rep and then accompanied by them raise your concerns to hr directly.

Remember however your manager may also be a membr of the same union.

Minera wrote: »
    Firstly have an unofficial chat with the union. Secondly you are under a 3 month then 6 month then 1 yr evaluation in the public sector so approach with caution. Thirdly HR look after the company and in the case of public sector they are very aware of any bad PR.
    The public sector most certainly has a whistle blowing procedure - look up dignity at work policy. But don't bank on it sorting out your problem

I started to question the legitimacy of certain things at work and I feel I'm now on his radar. What is the worst thing that could happen should a dispute arise between us and he feels we can no longer work as a team? Also, how do I protect myself from getting a bad evaluation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

What is the boss doing?

I'm just super anxious that things will be turned around to make it look like I've been involved. My problem is that my boss keeps very poor records and it will be very hard to remain anonymous while gathering any sort of usable records. Am I able to photostat documents from my boss's files or would that be considered a breach of his privacy?

Yep, there is definitely a risk that things can get turned on you. Presumably you already have hard evidence of whatever he is trying to get you to lie about - so you should be able to keep that evidence to hand. If he is trying to get you to put your name to something that you have no evidence of, then you should just ask to see the relevant records - and keep copies yourself (off the work computers).

Don't do anything that would breach work policy, like emailing copies to your home email address, as that could give him ammunition to have a go at you.

Don't go taking files from his office under any circumstances. You need to play this very, very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Do you have to keep a record of your work? If so, note on the file something like "directed by mr boss to submit form x to dept y". If mr boss asks why you're keeping a record, just say that you're keeping a record of your work for your next performance review. If he's being seriously unscrupulous, he won't want a paper/computer trail and might stop asking you to do it. Put in for a transfer asap.
    There are lots of poor managers in the public service just keeping up appearances, but they're not all law breakers, so hopefully you'll find a better one in your next department.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I've recently started a new job and discovered that my boss is doing things that are against company policy. I have been instructed to hide a few matters from HR. My worry is that if I do, I will be implicated. Where can I get independent advice or counselling on how to deal with the matter? It is causing me a great deal of stress.

Let.sleeping dogs lie. S/he is.your boss and until you are there a year and a day you can basically be fired.on whim. Lots of people do not do things exactly by the book at thw time but they get done and yhe paperwork is eventually tidied.up and the pdocess fulfilled.This is OFTEN how things often get done. I am assuming these are small things and not breeches of paperwork around.your contract? HR will have a huge issue if.you run to them tittletattling on your bOSS after a wet weekend. What do you think they will do -fire him/her? Hardly. Not unless s/he is a child molester or pilfering from the company or.falsifying medical.records or hiding abuse or.sometjing really big. You like.your job and want to keep it - follow your bosses instructions. There will be a time when yu need flexibility from the rules for a day to the dentist or a child sick or a mistake.you made.or an overdue rwport or something you forgot or didnt hav time to do.properly or did badly and you will expect your bosses support. Not everything is dotted and done by a encyclopedia of rules & people need to breathe in their work. Take a.deep breath and believe this person thought thought of.you to say yes to giving you the job in their department and dont now reward them with difficulties and problems. It will come back on you quickly enough in spades. They are still.your boss who decides your pay, holidays, transfers, workload and conditions and can make.your life a overwork and procedural hell if they so choose.

I woukd really progress with caution and be careful who you share your intentions with internallly - it could cause you a.lot of grief and alienate you from a lot of people. Noone wants to work with someone they think will be running whispering tales anout thdm to their boss or to HR after a wet weekend in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

Just started a new job in public sector only to find new boss doing things which might be against employment law. This puts me in a difficult position because he is asking me to lie on when submitting information to HR. What can I do about it?

ok...so first thing you do is stop lying to cover up his stuff. If things get out and you are seen to have been assisting the problem - then you are part of the problem and will most certainly be fired.

Then you document what is going on (if its against employment law I'm sure HR would be interested) and report it.

Not sure quite how serious it is what hes up to, but what do you think would happen if it got out that he was doing it (or another employee -you even?)

You mention that you think you are already on his radar, well that kinda moves things on a bit. If he genuinely thinks this (and you are only new), chances are you will be getting bad reviews /not pass probation. If you report it after a bad review, you wont be taken seriously.

My advice is to get the problems documented as soon as possible and report it to HR. If there is a union, get them involved too.

Its a sh1tty situation to find yourself in & I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭dennyk

Let.sleeping dogs lie.

There's a difference between overlooking and simply staying silent about small things your boss might be doing that may not be 100% compliant with internal policies (which is indeed for the best when you're new to the company and you don't yet have a feel for how things actually function, which can often be different than what's written down on paper) and your boss asking you to outright lie to HR about stuff that's actually illegal. The latter is absolutely unacceptable in any work environment and should definitely be reported, and if the company decides to address that sort of thing by terminating the person who reported the behaviour rather than the manager who's actually breaking the law, then it's not a place you'd want to be working anyway. Most likely once they'd made you complicit in whatever shady dealings they're involved with, they'd eventually throw you under the bus as a scapegoat anyway when they did get found out in the end, and that would have much more serious consequences for you than losing a brand new job because you reporting your boss's illegal activity.

Advertisement