Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coca Cola Truck Not Stopping in the City

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Cortecs wrote: »
    Hate to break it yo you but the fact is....nobody outside of Waterford or Kikenny regards EITHER as a city anyway. Could throw Limerick and Galway into it too to be honest.

Sure even Cork is a large town. Dublin just about scrapes it to be honest, but in european terms its absolutely tiny.

Ireland has a small population so we have five small cities. Doesnt matter whats going on in the rest of the world, this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Deiseen wrote: »
    Well ok 2/3 depending on what way you look at it, if you include Ferrybank's population of 5,217 then the city itself about 60,000 and over 70,000 if you include Tramore (10,328), which is practically a suburb of the city.

When your looking at an immediate catchment base for something, this is what you would look at.

Not really what we are talking about here is it?

Oh right so you're talking about a lot of places that aren't even in Waterford city and adding them all together to get less than 3 times the pop of one place. Yes that seems logical :pac:
    Ferrybank's pop is always included in the CSO Figures (read Waterford city plus suburbs in Co. Kilkenny and Co. Waterford) so they're already in the 53.500k.
    On the topic itself rather than asking why Coca Cola they would "choose one over another" as I think you are assuming they are doing, ask them to visit both? I see it's stopping in both Dundalk and Drogheda which are in the same county and I think closer than KK is to Waterford.

Cortecs wrote: »
    Hate to break it yo you but the fact is....nobody outside of Waterford or Kikenny regards EITHER as a city anyway. Could throw Limerick and Galway into it too to be honest.

Anything under 100k is a large town really. City sounds more important hence the desire to be one ;)

Maybe in your mind it is a City but in actual fact it's a hole!
    A market town with little or nothing going for it.
    Where the majority of its occupants travelled to other counties
    to make a life and a living that Kilkenny could not provide!

Ah bless. The resentment is strong here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Knew it would decend into this..

1. Sally park is technically in Kilkenny

2. Waterford (263,000) and Kilkenny (267,000) get same number of tourists (http://www.failteireland.ie/getattachment/c42b5249-242d-4860-b3b5-8720df101d4c/Regional-Tourism-Performance-in-2015.pdf.aspx?ext=.pdf)

3. They spend almost twice as much in Waterford (€75 million) as they do in Kilkenny (€45 million) (same link as above)

4. Waterford has almost 10 times more IDA jobs than Kilkenny (http://www.thejournal.ie/rural-jobs-2982453-Sep2016/)

It was Ballybeg that was on the television as one of the most deprived places in Ireland, as regards tourism supprising with all the seaside resorts amusements in Tramore opened all year around is that what brings up your intake. If Waterford has that much IDA jobs tell me why Waterford is unemployment blackspot .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I went to see the Coke truck in Wexford a few years ago when it was there.
    You have to queue up for over an hour to get your photo taken with it! Really not worth the hype.

I went to see the Coke truck in Wexford a few years ago when it was there.
    You have to queue up for over an hour to get your photo taken with it! Really not worth the hype.

Exactly. Such a hype about nothing. Isn't Winterval running in Waterford at same time? I've never been but would imagine it's much better and original than a Coke truck pulled up on the side of a street :cool:

road_high wrote: »
    Well ok 2/3 depending on what way you look at it, if you include Ferrybank's population of 5,217 then the city itself about 60,000 and over 70,000 if you include Tramore (10,328), which is practically a suburb of the city.

When your looking at an immediate catchment base for something, this is what you would look at.

Not really what we are talking about here is it?

Oh right so you're talking about a lot of places that aren't even in Waterford city and adding them all together to get less than 3 times the pop of one place. Yes that seems logical :pac:
    Ferrybank's pop is always included in the CSO Figures (read Waterford city plus suburbs in Co. Kilkenny and Co. Waterford) so they're already in the 53.500k.
    On the topic itself rather than asking why Coca Cola they would "choose one over another" as I think you are assuming they are doing, ask them to visit both? I see it's stopping in both Dundalk and Drogheda which are in the same county and I think closer than KK is to Waterford.

Never said they shouldn't visit Kilkenny at all. Just wondering why it doesnt stop here.

Never said they shouldn't visit Kilkenny at all. Just wondering why it doesnt stop here.

Likely simply down to scheduling? Maybe with Winterval on they can't get a suitable place to park?

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Knew it would decend into this..

1. Sally park is technically in Kilkenny

2. Waterford (263,000) and Kilkenny (267,000) get same number of tourists (http://www.failteireland.ie/getattachment/c42b5249-242d-4860-b3b5-8720df101d4c/Regional-Tourism-Performance-in-2015.pdf.aspx?ext=.pdf)

3. They spend almost twice as much in Waterford (€75 million) as they do in Kilkenny (€45 million) (same link as above)

4. Waterford has almost 10 times more IDA jobs than Kilkenny (http://www.thejournal.ie/rural-jobs-2982453-Sep2016/)

It was Ballybeg that was on the television as one of the most deprived places in Ireland, as regards tourism supprising with all the seaside resorts amusements in Tramore opened all year around is that what brings up your intake. If Waterford has that much IDA jobs tell me why Waterford is unemployment blackspot .

Fact of the matter is Peter, you said it gets more tourists when the numbers are only 4000 more and they spend a lot less. You were proven wrong, end of.

The whole of south east has an unemployment issue, not just Waterford. As for Ballybeg, when you have a city with multiple large population centres, you are going to get unemployment black spots. Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway all have them. Limerick is booming yet is absolutely riddled with Black Spots, just comes with the territory of having a large population.

As for the actual reason why we have unemployment black spots, maybe it's because there's too many cats driving over the bridge to work in our pharma companies and taking all the jobs!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 NiceLynchi

They must have their reasons ;) I don't think they should randomly select cities without looking at all kinds of data first...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

NiceLynchi wrote: »
    They must have their reasons ;) I don't think they should randomly select cities without looking at all kinds of data first...

I suppose since it is down to coke that santa has a red suit they feel the need to drive around the country with a 'dumb looking' red painted american artic......it's all part of their corporate strategy of brand awareness and brain washing of children into desiring their 'paint stripping' product.......as a child (9/10 years old) I remember doing the coin cleaning exercise with the coke ie. putting a copper coin 1p or 2p into a glass slightly filled with coke and in the am it would almost be shiny clean.....since that day I've hardly touched the stuff.......a cynical exercise by one of the planets largest corporations......a 'pop up' should be set up right beside the coke truck showing children the simple experiment I mention above 😊😊 along with the other negative impacts Coke and other sugar laden soft drinks have on the dental health and health in general.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I suppose since it is down to coke that santa has a red suit they feel the need to drive around the country with a 'dumb looking' red painted american artic......it's all part of their corporate strategy of brand awareness and brain washing of children into desiring their 'paint stripping' product.......as a child (9/10 years old) I remember doing the coin cleaning exercise with the coke ie. putting a copper coin 1p or 2p into a glass slightly filled with coke and in the am it would almost be shiny clean.....since that day I've hardly touched the stuff.......a cynical exercise by one of the planets largest corporations......a 'pop up' should be set up right beside the coke truck showing children the simple experiment I mention above ���� along with the other negative impacts Coke and other sugar laden soft drinks have on the dental health and health in general.

You won't be going to visit it then? :P

road_high wrote: »
    You won't be going to visit it then? :P

Well it's definitely no loss.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Think of all the kids who have been saved from becoming fat and diabetic in Waterford and all the budding Kilkenny hurlers who won't be able to play because they will become fat and diabetic as a result of the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Brings up Kilkenny in the first post, wonders why people are talking about Kilkenny...

Seeing as it's the season of goodwill, we'll let you come up and play with our truck. And if you're good we might let you honk the horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Jesus anorher thread hijacked with petty KK v WAT..........BORING!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Cluster**** of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

build the wall, build the wall!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    build the wall, build the wall!

What is so special about the effin thing?

• Advertisement

gobo99 wrote: »
    Brings up Kilkenny in the first post, wonders why people are talking about Kilkenny...

Seeing as it's the season of goodwill, we'll let you come up and play with our truck. And if you're good we might let you honk the horn.

No, I'm not wondering why people are talking about Kilkenny at all. Im wondering why KK people came on here and dragged it into a Kilkenny v waterford situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

No, I'm not wondering why people are talking about Kilkenny at all. Im wondering why KK people came on here and dragged it into a Kilkenny v waterford situation.

So will you be coming up to see our truck or what?

I'll pop up (as i do every year) but not to see the truck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

A multinational advertisement truck parked up in the middle of town or winterval. Give me winterval any day.

The waterford eye is looking fantastic on the Quay.

914 wrote: »
    A multinational advertisement truck parked up in the middle of town or winterval. Give me winterval any day.

The waterford eye is looking fantastic on the Quay.

That's what I said! The days of stuff like this could be coming to an end though, as the nanny state grows. Coke will be banned eventually the way things are going

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

914 wrote: »
    A multinational advertisement truck parked up in the middle of town

Bit reminiscent of the old Patrick's Day parades, like watching a traffic jam...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭screamer

Wat the fook I thought this was about a truck not blaa land versus cat land......

road_high wrote:
    That's what I said! The days of stuff like this could be coming to an end though, as the nanny state grows. Coke will be banned eventually the way things are going

Coke will never be banned, we have very little political and democratic governance left, and that has a lot to do with corporate interference.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Coke will never be banned, we have very little political and democratic governance left, and that has a lot to do with corporate interference.

I would argue the opposite- we have far too much interference in people's lives by government.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote:
    I would argue the opposite- we have far too much interference in people's lives by government.

Debatable of course, but I'd say our democratic governance is decreasing in the eu, and with the release of things such as the paradise and Panama papers, you d have to wonder, who's controlling who? Our political systems are becoming more pluotocratic in nature

Advertisement