Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BTU Calculators

• 11-11-2017 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience with using BTU calculators for bathrooms and then purchasing a towel rail to match the BTU value calculated? Did the towel rail work out to be warm enough to heat the room?

I am in the process of looking for a towel rail to buy for my bathroom. I've read many reports about people saying the heat from them is not great, and chrome are the worst. I am going for a chrome one. So I am concerned about not having enough heat.

I have one bathroom that is 1.75m x 1.8m x 2.4m. One window (skylight) at 0.7sqm. Only one external wall, it is not north facing. Timber frame construction house, A3 rated. Timber floor and insulated attic above. Room below is heated.

I used http://www.bestheating.ie/btu-calculator to calculate the BTU and I get 1200. I was planning on getting a 1512x600 chrome rail that has 25mm diameter pipes and claims to have a BTU of 2529 http://www.mylifebathrooms.com/Products/View/3/Product/728/ProductCategory/350

Based on the BTU calculator this towel rail would be far too much for my room - but wondering in reality how accurate is (a) the calculator (b) the claimed BTU value of the towel rail.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Don't forget that if they are covered with towels, they are effectively insulated so their heat output will be very much reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Thanks. Definitely that's a consideration. So maybe a good idea to go for higher BTU than calculator suggests?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience of calculating BTU figures and then buying towel rail. How did it work out in reality?

Anyone who has worked on a new build house I guess would have to calculate these BTU figures and show the towel rail meets to BTU requirements in order to get energy rating for the house?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Do you have room for a rad as well. I retro fitted a towel rail and turned off the existing rad. It didn't stay off too long. Hard to have a bathroom too warm, especially when you are 2nd, 3rd, or 4th into the bathroom with the rail full or half full of wet towels.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I've only room for the towel rail unfortunately.

I could go for the larger BTU rated rail and put a TRV on it. That way if it's too warm i can turn it down.

If I go for a lower BTU and it turns out to be too cold I'll need to buy a 2nd warmer rail and pay 2nd time for plumber to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

It will also depend on whether your boiler is outputting enough BTU's to allow for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Wearb wrote: »
    Do you have room for a rad as well. I retro fitted a towel rail and turned off the existing rad. It didn't stay off too long. Hard to have a bathroom too warm, especially when you are 2nd, 3rd, or 4th into the bathroom with the rail full or half full of wet towels.

A towel rail unless You seriously over size it will do as a rad.

A towel rail unless You seriously over size it will do as a rad.

Is a towel rail of BTU 2529 seriously over sizing for a room calculated to required BTU of 1200?

Has anyone on here got direct experience with using BTU calculators to determine BTU for a room and then choosing a radiator\rail based on that figure? I would have thought it would be quite common, how else are people deciding what size radiator\towel rail to put in a room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I know this is an old topic but it came up of my google search, so here's my 2p:

- our bathroom is ~8 m2 (2.25m ceiling height) with one smallish window and one narrow (1m) external wall (L-shaped room)
    - house is B1, standard timber floor and insulated attic
    - BTU calculator mentioned above comes up with 1800BTUs required to heat the bathroom

We have two towel rails installed, total of 4400BTUs output, running off central heating, partially covered with towels, yes I know, but they're towel rails after all. One hour worth of heating gets the rest of the house ROASTING but bathroom remains FREEZING. We're considering installing taller towel rails to combat the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

j@utis wrote: »
    I know this is an old topic but it came up of my google search, so here's my 2p:

- our bathroom is ~8 m2 (2.25m ceiling height) with one smallish window and one narrow (1m) external wall (L-shaped room)
    - house is B1, standard timber floor and insulated attic
    - BTU calculator mentioned above comes up with 1800BTUs required to heat the bathroom

We have two towel rails installed, total of 4400BTUs output, running off central heating, partially covered with towels, yes I know, but they're towel rails after all. One hour worth of heating gets the rest of the house ROASTING but bathroom remains FREEZING. We're considering installing taller towel rails to combat the problem.

imho the bigger the rail the more clothes /towels that will be piled on it

• Advertisement

Do the two towel rails get as hot as the rads in other rooms?
    If you remove towels does the room then get hot enough?

wiz569 wrote: »

That depends on whether they have the same BTU figures at the same temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

I have a really confusing BTU situation if anyone in this thread could help?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057915929

That depends on whether they have the same BTU figures at the same temperature.

I meant in a relative sense, in other words are they heating properly and if so does removing the towels help,

If not then he can move on to the next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

wiz569 wrote: »

1.yes, they get as hot as other radiators.
    2. I'm yet to test that as I really don't want towels hanging around the house.

j@utis wrote: »
    1.yes, they get as hot as other radiators.
    2. I'm yet to test that as I really don't want towels hanging around the house.

OK so we know the towel rails are working properly, relatively speaking ;)

If the room is warm enough without the towels then you will need bigger rails to allow for the insulation effect from towels,

If its still cold then there might be an insulation/draught problem in the bathroom or the original BTU calculation was incorrect.

Advertisement