Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the grand canal

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭De Bhál

it is, I've done it a few times, you'll be on a track in grass for parts, gravel for some, bits of road. A bit of everything really

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Messy from Carlow to Athy. Choose the road on the west bank, much quieter than the east bank.

From Athy, Monasterevin, Rathangan, Robertstown, all good.

Messy from there to Sallins, divert either side.

Sallins to Hazelhatch, all good.

Messy as far as Lucan (lock 12, Adamstown road) divert to the north side, lovely rural lane, then bam! Adamstown new city.

All good from Lucan to Inchicore, then busy with shared spaces to Grand Canal dock.

(For road bike with skinny tyres)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭cletus

Roadtoad's breakdown is fairly accurate.

However, if you have a gravel bike or mountain bike, you'll manage fine on the single track sections from Carlow to Athy, Robertstown to Sallins, and Lucan onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Thanks lads for the advice, think I'll give it a go from Athy so. I managed the Robertstowns section years before on grass so I'll give it a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hazelhatch to Lucan is still very narrow rutted track overgrown on either side /and or water bound .Not pleasant even to walk on but certainly ‘passable’ in the dry Summer .The earlier the better to traverse from safety point of view .Fair few ‘teens’ about from Mid afternoon , could be very dodgy after dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭nilhg

Kildare CC are publicising a new amended part 8 application for the grand Canal greenway, essentially they want to change their plan at Lowtown, putting a footbridge across the canal similar to the one in Sallins to move the greenway to the southern bank and off the local road along the canal there. Also they want to put another footbridge in at Healys Bridge where the greenway will switch to the north bank to avoid having greenway users on the public road.

Theres a good summary in the PDF below

Link to the Part 8:

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/consultation/grand-canal-greenway-phase-2-proposed-additional-bridges-part-8-p8202407

Advertisement