Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Powered Delivery Network- Make Money On The Move

Options
  • 12-11-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, just dropping a post here to describe a new venture, it may interest to lots of you, basically DropToU is about ;
    Ever wanted to send a Letter, Package, or even a set of keys? When it needs to be sent straight away, not when the Post Office opens or when the carrier company operate?
    We will be there for all your last minute delivery needs.
    We solve this problem by empowering every person traveling to become their very own carrier!
    We are going to change the world of the carrier forever!! Be in control!
    Check us out on Facebook & Twitter and our website droptou.com our app is now available to download from App Store & Google Play & web app is on the website. Please take a moment to check it out, you might be pleasantly surprised.
    We’re just back from the Websummit last week where things have gone very very well. We will be delivering from tomorrow (Monday 13/11) but you can register if so wish as a courier/carrier from now.
    Any questions let me know, I’ve been a member of boards for a number of years but I have created this new DropToU account to share info about this People Powered Delivery Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Quick question,, Wouldn't there be huge implications if packages go missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would recommended sorting out ssl on your site, no certs and it's really a requirement if you want to be seen to take security seriously

Also great idea.

Google api needs some fleshing out on the app for addressing.

Perhaps put together a video on the appstore talking about what the app does so it's for and how people can get paid. E.g is it powered by stripe.

Need to build some confidence in it so a localised video is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@DropToU - please note that commercial use of Boards accounts is not permitted without prior approval from HQ. Can you please contact HQ via hello@boards.ie to arrange for a verified rep account?

Please do not post again until this is cleared up.

Thanks
    dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

So if it's outside normal courier hours, who will be the carriers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Standard insurance won't cover drivers for this. You would need extra cover to carry goods for reward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DropToU

dudara wrote: »
    @DropToU - please note that commercial use of Boards accounts is not permitted without prior approval from HQ. Can you please contact HQ via [email]helloboardsto arrange for a verified rep account?

Please do not post again until this is cleared up.

Thanks
    dudara[/email]

I'll answer all questions after I get account sorted as requested by dudara (email sent) but for now, the public i.e anyone that makes a journey can be a courier/carrier and re insurance you are not for traveling for reward but for compensation as you are already making the journey, I will address all after I'm verified and able post, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your insurance company will not insure you to carry goods belonging to other people.
    I had this out recently with an insurance company and they refused to quote based on the information I provided that I would occasionally carry goods belonging to someone else, for no payment.

If you think this is a runner call your insurance company to check. If it’s being suggested not to mention it to your insurance company then the whole thing is built on a lie.

So I’m carrying a parcel, stop to have my lunch and the car is broken into and the parcel goes missing. Turns out the parcel has a value of say €5000, the insurance company won’t cover it. Who is expected to stump up the €5k compensation ??
    Say it’s a simple laptop in the box, and I drop it smashing the screen, who pays the €200 to repair it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

DropToU wrote: »
    I'll answer all questions after I get account sorted as requested by dudara (email sent) but for now, the public i.e anyone that makes a journey can be a courier/carrier and re insurance you are not for traveling for reward but for compensation as you are already making the journey, I will address all after I'm verified and able post, thanks.

So I give you a item worth 10k, that needs to be transported to perform a set task

The item goes missing

Who gives me my 10k and who compensates me for the additional 10k of business that has been lost ?

I cannot see how you are going to appear as credible.

Why wouldnt I just use a taxi Company ?

Although the idea is very good and a network of people on existing journeys who will also couriers items, would work in principle, the issue here is insurance.

A person cannot carry good for compensation, and who ever informed you that if the journey is not the reason for carrying the goods, obviously knows nothing about insurance.

For your service to work, a large number of people who need to take out extra car and liability insurance, they would be doing this without any guarantee of renumeration from yourselves, so it simply won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Bandara wrote: »
    So I give you a item worth 10k, that needs to be transported to perform a set task

The item goes missing

Who gives me my 10k and who compensates me for the additional 10k of business that has been lost ?

I cannot see how you are going to appear as credible.

Why wouldnt I just use a taxi Company ?

Yes but it's people powered and they're just back from the web summit

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Yes but it's people powered and they're just back from the web summit

https://youtu.be/Q9A0Vufw3NQ

Tbf lads who's handing over items worth 10k to anyone. Even normal couriers may charge extra for liability on that.

Its a good idea. Has some niggles to work out. But best of luck to the OP hope it's a success.

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf lads who's handing over items worth 10k to anyone. Even normal couriers may charge extra for liability on that.

Its a good idea. Has some niggles to work out. But best of luck to the OP hope it's a success.

Don’t agree

Make the 10k item a 1k item

It’s still the same

Bandara wrote: »
    Don’t agree

Make the 10k item a 1k item

It’s still the same

No. You said 10k don't be moving your goalposts when it suits.

What about tue €250 laptop screen I mentioned. Who pays for that if I break it when delivering ?? Remember my car insurance won’t cover it.

_Brian wrote: »
    What about tue €250 laptop screen I mentioned. Who pays for that if I break it when delivering ?? Remember my car insurance won’t cover it.

No idea. As I said some Niggles to work out but still think it's a good idea.

Mesh network delivery what's not to like!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've several friends who were motorbike couriers back in the boom days. 1 got a package the size of a biscuit tin full of gold jewellery, he did several drops and pickups on the way to the assayer's office with the package bungied to the saddle. The others regularly got smaller packages of gold and sometimes large quantities of illegal drugs, the gold eventually went to the vans as they were too heavy for the bags. You'd be surprised what people will send by courier and how little they are willing to pay it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    and sometimes large quantities of illegal drugs,

Sounds like an ideal distribution network for illegal activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Best of luck.

I've been involved with a number of start ups and big names in the logistics space. The last mile delivery is a tough nut to crack.

It's a really hard one to predict. I like that you're not really trying to solve the logistics problems. I just wonder if you'll get repeat couriers, senders and if there is enough of a market.

Lol

When it suits ? The amount is essentially irrelevant in the bigger picture and the consequential aspect of the failure carries far more damage, I thought that would have been obvious.

You do understand that the second part of my original post is even more relevant than the first part ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I like the concept. However I really do feel like this would be used to ship illegal items, with a Joe soap carrier they don't run the risk of the item being scanned or opened (legally) for inspection..

My business couriers non valuable items so I'd use it but after initially thinking I'd also carry due to the volume I drive, I definitely wouldn't having thought about it.

It'll just take one carrier to be followed and arrested, yes they can show they were using an app to deliver for but that itself opens the huge insurance question and if they would believe the app wasn't being used as cover in case they were stopped.

A chocolate teapot may look beautiful, but when it comes to it's essential function it fails. An un-bonded courier service may look great on the outside but from a user point of view, who will send anything that if lost or broken or stolen there is no recourse?? This service fails at the first hurdle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whats moving the goalposts about it, surely the only relevant part is the question of who covers the cost of lost/damaged items regardless of what the value was? I wouldn't want my paperwork going missing any less than he wants his gold watch to disappear.

I do have to wonder about the economics of this business plan. Its basically giving packages to random people, nobody will trust it for expensive items and when it comes to inexpensive items a lot of the delivery companies already offer pretty reasonable prices considering whats involved. I know I'd personally rather pay a few quid more for a bonded courier than give my package to any Tom, Dick or Harry, what is the price point that makes this attractive to anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Snotty wrote: »
    Sounds like an ideal distribution network for illegal activities.

Until a package bursts open. Then it's a controlled delivery by the dirtiest looking courier who happens to be an undercover Garda.

Whats moving the goalposts about it, surely the only relevant part is the question of who covers the cost of lost/damaged items regardless of what the value was? I wouldn't want my paperwork going missing any less than he wants his gold watch to disappear.

I do have to wonder about the economics of this business plan. Its basically giving packages to random people, nobody will trust it for expensive items and when it comes to inexpensive items a lot of the delivery companies already offer pretty reasonable prices considering whats involved. I know I'd personally rather pay a few quid more for a bonded courier than give my package to any Tom, Dick or Harry, what is the price point that makes this attractive to anybody?

I guess youve solved your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I guess youve solved your own question.

What are you even on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DropToU

right folks I would love to address all questions, I've answers on all, but for the moment I simply cannot afford the cost of setting up a verified rep account, so for the moment I can't post about droptou on here, I can let you know about a Facebok live Q&A session this eve on the droptou facebook page at 9pm that will answer any questions, thanks guys. I'll be back! soon as the budget allows!

I just can’t see how the insurance problem will be surpassed.

Private motor insurance will not allow for the transport of goods belonging to a third party in return for payment, or even for nonpayment actually. Surely no one is going to build a business based on the premise of defrauding motor insurance.

Apps and good ideas are all fine but if the goods aren’t insured only a fool would use the service.

It all sounds like pub talk that shouldn’t have made it out onto the street.

So did anyone tune in to the spoof?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I just can’t see how the insurance problem will be surpassed.

Private motor insurance will not allow for the transport of goods belonging to a third party in return for payment, or even for nonpayment actually. Surely no one is going to build a business based on the premise of defrauding motor insurance.

Apps and good ideas are all fine but if the goods aren’t insured only a fool would use the service.

It all sounds like pub talk that shouldn’t have made it out onto the street.

With all due respect Uber started the same way, not that i have any love lost for Uber. But the motor insurance didnt matter, it was ride sharing.

It sounds like you dont have a breeze about how tech companies start or what it takes to incubate one.

But sure lets get angry about it and dismiss it as pub talk.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement