Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Powered Delivery Network- Make Money On The Move

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

listermint wrote: »
    With all due respect Uber started the same way, not that i have any love lost for Uber. But the motor insurance didnt matter, it was ride sharing.

It sounds like you dont have a breeze about how tech companies start or what it takes to incubate one.

But sure lets get angry about it and dismiss it as pub talk.

:rolleyes:

Can you explain then what the draw is for an uninsured delivery network is then, appears you haven't addressed this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

With all due respect Uber started the same way, not that i have any love lost for Uber. But the motor insurance didnt matter, it was ride sharing.

It sounds like you dont have a breeze about how tech companies start or what it takes to incubate one.

Very ill-informed post.
    It’s an idea that has not been properly considered and the OP and his supporters including you have blatantly evaded any honest answers.

Insurance is a key issue - a driver by using a personal vehicle for an undeclared business activity voids his/her policy of insurance. Were I an injured party following any loss, and despite small print disclaimers, I would also consider an action against the OP on the grounds of omitting the duty of ‘reasonable care’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

:

With no respect what so ever, you are completely wrong, the insurance did mater and uber provides Insurnace when the app is on at a low level and a higher level when a customer is in the car. Is this startup going to provide insurance?

Every startup goes through the exact same question, especially in Ireland, do you provide a product or service were liabilities are in question, if so those questions need to be addressed before all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Snotty wrote: »
    With no respect what so ever, you are completely wrong, the insurance did mater and uber provides Insurnace when the app is on at a low level and a higher level when a customer is in the car. Is this startup going to provide insurance?

Every startup goes through the exact same question, especially in Ireland, do you provide a product or service were liabilities are in question, if so those questions need to be addressed before all others.

Did Uber start out providing insurance?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

duploelabs wrote: »
    Can you explain then what the draw is for an uninsured delivery network is then, appears you haven't addressed this?

Speed getting something done quicker.

Contrary to alot of delivery Company's view of their business its actually not easy for the average person to get a package across country without jumping through hoops.

No one seems to have simplified this process well.

Exceptions to parcel motel who have somewhat clearly defined a UK shipping easy option.

Its not simple to arrange a home pick up and delivery.

Would love some of the oh so knowledgeable ones in here to creep in with their own ideas to grab this piece of the market and shake it up... Ideas on a postcard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm not angry, I'm asking a reasonable question..

How does this company advise people to deal with their motor insurance.. They are engauging in a courier business for reward using private motor insurance without telling their insurance company..

If this one simple question cant be answered then the whole business is built on lieing to insurance companies which is a "contract of utmost good faith", meaning you have a responsibility to tell them anything relavent to your policy even if they dont ask, and moonlighting as a courier is relavent, very relavent.

I can tell you from recent conversations with insurance companies that they will not want to cover this type of service with regular private motor policies. If people are 100% honest with their insurance companies the company will say NO you are not insured to do paid courier work !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would love some of the oh so knowledgeable ones in here to creep in with their own ideas to grab this piece of the market and shake it up... Ideas on a postcard

Such an obvious fallacy.

I don't need to design a method for building on sand before I can tell you that it is unwise to build a house on sand...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭meforever

Hi Droptou.........

I love when someone comes along and creates something out of nothing.

Come on people ! ....lots of negative feed back that's totally unjustifiable.:confused:

We must always support anyone who tries to do something different.

Some of the rules are designed to be broken.

If one does the same thing always, then there will be no change.

Personally....I was blown away with the concept:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Uber is a different game in most other countries than here. In most other countries it's a person driving their own vehicle with some level of insurance from Uber. Here Uber is by already licenced taxis using their own insurance. Uber, and a lot of gig economy companies, are being forced to provide employment benefits to the people who work for them thereby removing their unfair advantage over traditional companies.

I'm sure that the OP will be able to operate successfully in other jurisdictions but here they have to comply with our insurance and that won't cover the carriage of other people's property without a significant premium.

Another smart-ass post yet the question posed to you on insurance remains unanswered. A bit like the businessplan, done on the back of an envelope, your replies might be best suited to a postcard.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Speed of what? Service I presume.
    Currently I can pick up the phone and get a bonded secure courier here in an hour. Are you saying that people who use couriers regularly will forgo the security of their delivery just to have the pick up arrive half an hour before an insured service?
    Seems like the developers have got obsessed with creating a service and investing their time with a ah-sure-itll-be-grand attitude to a major flaw in their service. However when the mounting calls to question this flaw rise, the fingers go in the ears and a repeated non-applicable mantras of 'people powered' and 'user user uber' are shouted.
    Look, despite what's said about the community here being negative, we are not. We are all in favour of new developments and start ups. However our ability to sound out and spot a cowboy is quite strong. Particularly when such a gaping hole in their business plan is spotted and unaddressed. We do not 'plamas' these egos as that amounts to indoctrination not education, this is big boy stuff and if you can't take a bit of constructive criticism then perhaps the entrepreneurship isn't for you

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

While the insurance question needs to be answered, I imagine it's not insurmountable.

These Irish startups are in a similiar space and seem to use casual delivery operatives - Webringg & Zendfast

I note that Zendfast mention reviewing applicants insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It wouldn't be the first business to rely on uninsured drivers - vast number of take-away food delivery drivers are driving uninsured, as they haven't notified their insurers to get cover for carriage of goods.

It wouldn't be the first business to rely on uninsured drivers - vast number of take-away food delivery drivers are driving uninsured, as they haven't notified their insurers to get cover for carriage of goods.

Just because other companies are participating in an illegal activity won't exonerate you in court should a claim happen. Besides, this conversation is more about insuring the items that are being transported not the vehicle or driver themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gardai have seized a good dozen Just Eat mopeds of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

ED E wrote: »
    Gardai have seized a good dozen Just Eat mopeds of late.

That's interesting. It appears one of the companies I linked to earlier in the the thread, Webringg, has an involvement with supplying Just-eat mopeds.

Why were they seized?

With respect, they not very useful comparisons. A registered company using members of the public to transport unspecified packages has very different questions to answer than a chinese paying somebody cash in hand to deliver some chicken balls locally.

Just because other companies are participating in an illegal activity won't exonerate you in court should a claim happen.
    Fully agree - I wasn't making light of driving without correct insurance.
    With respect, they not very useful comparisons. A registered company using members of the public to transport unspecified packages has very different questions to answer than a chinese paying somebody cash in hand to deliver some chicken balls locally.

I wasn't actually thinking about the local lad doing a few chicken balls. I was thinking about the very large household name pizza businesses using lots of non-Irish staff, some on N-plates or L-plates to deliver the goods. I seriously doubt that any or many of these drivers would get cover for commercial delivery, or that they have that cover at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

I wasn't actually thinking about the local lad doing a few chicken balls. I was thinking about the very large household name pizza businesses using lots of non-Irish staff, some on N-plates or L-plates to deliver the goods. I seriously doubt that any or many of these drivers would get cover for commercial delivery, or that they have that cover at all.
    In that case the risk is all on the business. Some may (stupidly) be willing to accept that risk and operate under it. I, as a potential customer, probably won't give it a second thought if my pizza/chicken balls are adequately covered should the worst happen.

If, on the other hand, I'm considering handing over something of considerable value to me and entrusting that person to deliver it safely to another location for me with everything safely intact... you can be sure the question of whether it's properly insured will most certainly be a factor.

Apples to oranges comparisons there.
    Anyone suggesting that insurance isn't a major issue here is underestimating the issue hugely and the hurdles to tackling that market successfully and retaining trust within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

_Brian wrote: »
    How does this company advise people to deal with their motor insurance.. They are engauging in a courier business for reward using private motor insurance without telling their insurance company

This is the pertinent question.

The site's T&C place all responsibility on the delivery person
    "If Carrier’s activity is commercial then it must adhere to all laws governing transport of goods, including and not limited to having the required insurance, licenses and/or permits."

And if in fact you read the rest of the T&C you will see they are absolving themselves of all responsibility but just acting as a middle man for which they are charging a fee

Very shaky ground versus a bonded delivery service which isn't all that different in price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Moomat wrote: »
    Why were they seized?

All using private insurance policies. If you insurance sky rockets from say €800 to €5000 thats all your earnings out the window so its almost guaranteed they're all illegal.

I was thinking about the very large household name pizza businesses using lots of non-Irish staff, some on N-plates or L-plates to deliver the goods. I seriously doubt that any or many of these drivers would get cover for commercial delivery, or that they have that cover at all.

I would suggest there are still huge differences. When does that pizza change ownership from the pizza shop to the customer? At the door when the money changes hands I would imagine, so when that driver is carrying a pizza he is carrying a product belonging to his parent company. At all times the goods he is carrying will belong to the one operator that he is working for.

In the OP's example it is the opposite, at all times the goods will not belong to the parent company, they will belong to the seller/receiver. Instead of one driver carrying proprietary goods for one company, you will have dozens of drivers carrying unspecified packages for hundreds of customers. The relationship between owners/seller/couriers is vastly more complicated in that scenario, hence all the questions.

Both drivers may need to have the proper insurance and authorities, but I just don't think they are useful as comparisons.

This is a dog - the OP has a 'me too' operation, it's neither new nor exciting as there already are companies operating in the sector with proper insurance. There is no point in arguing angels on a pin and when the sale occurs. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

parcel connect who are a spin off of Fastways only insure the first €50

In that case the risk is all on the business. Some may (stupidly) be willing to accept that risk and operate under it. I, as a potential customer, probably won't give it a second thought if my pizza/chicken balls are adequately covered should the worst happen.

If, on the other hand, I'm considering handing over something of considerable value to me and entrusting that person to deliver it safely to another location for me with everything safely intact... you can be sure the question of whether it's properly insured will most certainly be a factor.

Apples to oranges comparisons there.
    Anyone suggesting that insurance isn't a major issue here is underestimating the issue hugely and the hurdles to tackling that market successfully and retaining trust within it.
    I would suggest there are still huge differences. When does that pizza change ownership from the pizza shop to the customer? At the door when the money changes hands I would imagine, so when that driver is carrying a pizza he is carrying a product belonging to his parent company. At all times the goods he is carrying will belong to the one operator that he is working for.

In the OP's example it is the opposite, at all times the goods will not belong to the parent company, they will belong to the seller/receiver. Instead of one driver carrying proprietary goods for one company, you will have dozens of drivers carrying unspecified packages for hundreds of customers. The relationship between owners/seller/couriers is vastly more complicated in that scenario, hence all the questions.

Both drivers may need to have the proper insurance and authorities, but I just don't think they are useful as comparisons.

My comment was purely in relation to the insurance issue - having uninsured drivers, or rather insured drivers doing driving that they not insured for, flying around is not good for anyone - the business, the customers, or the people who share the streets with these drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Contrary to alot of delivery Company's view of their business its actually not easy for the average person to get a package across country without jumping through hoops.

No one seems to have simplified this process well.

Exceptions to parcel motel who have somewhat clearly defined a UK shipping easy option.

Its not simple to arrange a home pick up and delivery.

Parcel connect.

They are cheaper for small packages as well.

Unfortunately the op didnt do market research. Person to person deliveries are a small market and being realistic if I want to send a package from a small town in Cork to similiar in donegal what's the chances someone will deliver it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Everyone is obsessing over the insurance and not looking at the basic functionalities of the concept!

I can't see how this could provide sustained value for the couriers to attract enough of them to the point where it'd compete with established courier companies. Their reward is €8, to go out of their way to collect a package, then journey back to their standard route, then out of their way again to deliver the package and back again towards their destination - it's a lot of time effort and extra petrol to make the €8 worthwhile. I'd guess almost an hour or so extra on their journey for €8 minus the additional fuel costs?

But more than that it's also a real chicken and egg problem - what are the chances that there's a courier near enough to me who happens to be travelling near enough to my delivery location, at a time that's convenient to both of us? :confused: Surely very very slim?

Advertisement