Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Kimbot wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

Please make sure Louise doesn't think that was me or I'll have to sleep with my legs crossed for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

LLMMLL wrote: »
    You're proving my point by comparing a not very famous Irish author and columnist with someone who holds a position regularly quoted as "the most powerful on earth".

Some men just can't handle a woman having an opinion.

Omg you for real?

Do you really think that we object to women having an opinion? If you REALLY believe that then I suggest you get yourself off Boards and reevaluate your thought process and your attitude towards men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Oddly enough, considering the types of posts on boards, it's really only this woman's opinion that posters are having regular issues with. Could it be that she makes insulting comments about the male gender and attracts negative attention? Nah. A woman shouldn't be considered responsible for what she says.

But hey! Don't let us stop you from suggesting this is an objection against all women. Feminists seem to need that kind of imaginary solidarity that one woman being criticized for her behavior means all women are being criticized.

I think her opinion just makes a certain kind of guy feel insecure and threatened.

py2006 wrote: »
    Omg you for real?

Do you really think that we object to women having an opinion? If you REALLY believe that then I suggest you get yourself off Boards and reevaluate your thought process and your attitude towards men.

I don't think the guys on this thread are indicative of the majority of men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I think her opinion just makes a certain kind of guy feel insecure and threatened.

Please, do tell us what kind of guy you think is affected in this way.
    I don't think the guys on this thread are indicative of the majority of men.

Funny, I was just thinking the same about the women on this thread :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You are so right. When I read she was plagiarising reimagining The Little Mermaid, I was cowering under the table for 2 hours. My wife had to hunt me out of it with the mop handle.

I smell a troll and another ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I smell a troll and another ban

For you, if you keep up the backseat modding.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/louise-oneill-i-wonder-if-my-ex-boyfriends-thought-female-sexuality-was-something-to-be-laughed-at-383021.html

Can you defend that article? Or am I just feeling insecure and threatened?

I think her opinion is absolutely nonsense. Because of an abhorrent facebook group (that there is no trace of), her grandfather hates all women. I mean wtf. Do you see the ridiculous conclusion she is jumping to? Even the people that set up that facebook group don't hate women. Her language is needlessly incendiary littered with logical fallacies. She's the irish female version of the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos in my opinion. How does he make you feel? Insecure and threatened I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

She'd be like a dog with two tails if she knew she had a thread on Boards.ie devoted solely to her! :D

• Advertisement

Count Down wrote: »
    She'd be like a dog with two tails if she knew she had a thread on Boards.ie devoted solely to her! :D

I'm fairly sure that, not only does she know, she's been posting here for quite a while - might even have gotten a temporary ban at one stage.....

If she suggests that all men are rapists or know a rapist friend and choose to do nothing about then you can be DAMN SURE WE FEEL THREATENED if her media platform has an influence on young women.

FFS absolute ridiculous posts

Haha..Jesus..Although come to think about it, I do now actually wonder what Louise's ex boyfriends' views on female sexuality are..And if their time with Louise had either a positive or negative impact on those views..

If she suggests that all men are rapists or know a rapist friend and choose to do nothing about then you can be DAMN SURE WE FEEL THREATENED if her media platform has an influence on young women.

FFS absolute ridiculous posts

Yes and insecure, threatened men tend to lash out. I think the debate surrounding feminism would be much less toxic if these men engaged on an intellectual level.

Time to click unfollow again

Haha..Jesus..Although come to think about it, I do now actually wonder what Louise's ex boyfriends' views on female sexuality are..And if their time with Louise had either a positive or negative impact on those views..
    I reckon a few of them have probably caught the ghey after her..

I'd say your mind would be broken from trying to analyse every statement and move you made for fear you demonstrated any toxic masculine tendencies. T'would be mighty for the oul self control I'd say.

Yes and insecure, threatened men tend to lash out. I think the debate surrounding feminism would be much less toxic if these men engaged on an intellectual level.

Nah, and todays deluded and toxic feminists wouldn't last a second at an intellectual level.

Gravelly wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that, not only does she know, she's been posting here for quite a while - might even have gotten a temporary ban at one stage.....

Alas, I thought the same, but a bit of thread creation stalking rules that out I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yes and insecure, threatened men tend to lash out.
    Is that how we should consider her misandry? ...that she insecure & threatened, and lashing out?

Isn't that just bigotry though?
    I think the debate surrounding feminism would be much less toxic if these men engaged on an intellectual level.
    Who are "these men" you speak of?
    I've found over the years that the "debate surrounding feminism" is rarely (if ever) a debate. Once things like the "wage gap" or "quotas" are challenged the defense tends towards sound bites and sniping - although I'd hasten to point out that sniping isn't restricted to one side.

There's a thread on it presently running (as I'm in no doubt your aware), and sadly the amount of drive-by sniping comments is an awful shame. But it's not really men poisoning the debate.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Alas, I thought the same, but a bit of thread creation stalking rules that out I'm afraid.

Aww, another one of my illusions shattered :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

LOL tbh. Whenever a man attempts to engage modern feminism on an "intellectual level" he just ends up being screamed at.

Logic, reason and critical thinking are the enemy of the pseudo-intellectual twaddle that passes for feminist theory these days and the likes of LON know it. It's why they encourage their followers to block, dox, and / or otherwise abuse their critics. They're either simply insane or they know that if their market actually genuinely engage with such people, they'll realise the emperor is wearing no clothes and their lucrative positions as columnists, authors, playwrights, gender studies lecturers and conference speakers will evaporate. My money is on the latter.

Sleepy wrote: »
    LOL tbh. Whenever a man attempts to engage modern feminism on an "intellectual level" he just ends up being screamed at.

Logic, reason and critical thinking are the enemy of the pseudo-intellectual twaddle that passes for feminist theory these days and the likes of LON know it. It's why they encourage their followers to block them, dox them, and / or otherwise abuse them. They're either simply insane or they know that if their market actually genuinely engage with such people, they'll realise the emperor is wearing no clothes and their lucrative positions as columnists, authors, playwrights, gender studies lecturers and conference speakers will evaporate. My money is on the latter.

Hmmm I remember someone giving out on this thread that she had blocked him and this was symptomatic of how she wasn't up for debate etc.

Someone went and found the tweet he sent her that got him blocked and it was just a load of abuse.

And? Is there a logical point to that anecdote?

Sleepy wrote: »
    And? Is there a logical point to that anecdote?

Well all those who she blocked, were blocked justifiably.. obvs :rolleyes:

I love the LLMMLL thanked that post... sarcasm detector must be broken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thought this thread was more active than usual today. It makes sense now why. Thread MVP is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Imagine her reaction if a guy wrote that he got his mother to pack his bags while complaining that she was doing it wrong.

Owryan wrote: »
    Imagine her reaction if a guy wrote that he got his mother to pack his bags while complaining that she was doing it wrong.

I'd say her parents have a great oul time of it - between her father having to reassure her every time she gets upset at something some stranger posted on Facebook about someone she doesn't know (despite him, presumably, as a man, fantasising about rape all the time) and her mother being treated like a skivvy to a spoilt little princess. As you reap, so shall you sow, in all its glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Gravelly wrote: »
    I'd say her parents have a great oul time of it - between her father having to reassure her every time she gets upset at something some stranger posted on Facebook about someone she doesn't know (despite him, presumably, as a man, fantasising about rape all the time) and her mother being treated like a skivvy to a spoilt little princess. As you reap, so shall you sow, in all its glory.

I dunno, as a father myself I think I would rather admit my kid was a drug dealer than admit they were Louise.

• Advertisement

You are taking the piss now, aren't you? You can't really believe that... Seriously?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement