Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Yes and insecure, threatened men tend to lash out. I think the debate surrounding feminism would be much less toxic if these men engaged on an intellectual level.

Intellect and new wave feminism??? That's a contradiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

How the hell can anyone engage on an intellectual level with someone that's claiming Baby It's Cold Outside is a date rape song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Owryan wrote: »
    Imagine her reaction if a guy wrote that he got his mother to pack his bags while complaining that she was doing it wrong.

Well that would be the epitome of misogyny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How the hell can anyone engage on an intellectual level with someone that's claiming Baby It's Cold Outside is a date rape song.

I wouldn't mind the claim as long as they backed it up with evidence AND listened to counter-arguments.

Which a large number of Radical Third-Wave Feminists won't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Did She??? :D:D:D Brilliant! Wonder if she's just pulling the piss half the time.

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote: »
    Did She??? :D:D:D Brilliant! Wonder if she's just pulling the piss half the time.

I used to think the same about most feminists with the wackier ideas but... they're just too dedicated to expressing the same style of rhetoric.

Did She???

She did indeed.......

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/802528519452585984
    Wonder if she's just pulling the piss half the time.

I did think it was a possibility at the time but seems not as it's something many of her comrades have similarly remarked upon. Maybe they all read the same buzzfeed article or something.

https://twitter.com/demuresunflower/status/935080642928287744

Good god. Some people just go out of their way to be offended. It's just like trolling the internet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

Good god. Some people just go out of their way to be offended. It's just like trolling the internet...

its now friends / the simpsons that are offending the likes of her and Sam Boland woke bae types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

its now friends / the simpsons that are offending the likes of her and Sam Boland woke bae types

The Guardian has had a numbef of Op Ed pieces in the last year decrying the character of Apu.....

• Advertisement

It's really not that difficult to get off your ass and make yourself happy. These people need to lay off the medication (uppers/downers). Like sure, the world is a rough place at times, but it's what you make of it. These people just seek out the negative aspects and when they can't find anything suitable, make it up to justify being victimised.

It's just makes me sad. they've got so many opportunities in life now to be better... but waste their time with this muck.

Still, I just saw the trailer for OCEAN'S 8. What's up with taking a movies series and making it a all female thingy?

That's what LON should consider talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Still, I just saw the trailer for OCEAN'S 8. What's up with taking a movies series and making it a all female thingy?

She probably just sees it as the 'natural order of things'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

wonder will it bomb like Ghostbusters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You misogynist bastard!

Its times like this i thank god for Paul Joseph Watson. A man who cuts through the bullshítters for a shortcut.

^^^ Hilarious

Its times like this i thank god for Paul Joseph Watson. A man who cuts through the bullshítters for a shortcut.

I find that guy very hard to take seriously. He writes for infowars.

Never really watched him before. I tend to steer clear of these kinds of opinion pieces. Seen him once or twice in other things but TBH the content was obvious enough, and quite spot on.

I find that guy very hard to take seriously. He writes for infowars.

Im not a fan of Alex Jones myself hes a bit too eccentric but Watson is spot on in everything he says about the generation of spoilt butt hurt 'influencers' who are causing the world a fúcking nuisance with their abject stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Im not a fan of Alex Jones myself hes a bit too eccentric but Watson is spot on in everything he says about the generation of spoilt butt hurt 'influencers' who are causing the world a fúcking nuisance with their abject stupidity

Alex Jones is a bit eccentric in the way the surface of the sun is a bit warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Paul needs to get away from Alex.

I'll agree to disagree. I think he straight up lies a lot of the time. Look up how he doubled down on Trump's Malmo blunder.

backspin. wrote: »
    Paul needs to get away from Alex.

Id agree. Alex is too far right. He looked a proper loon with that interview he done with Piers Morgan

I don't even know why feminists support those remakes anyway. Surely if they are even successful, it's still just copying of a guy's movie.

It's the same with the retelling of classic novels, like LON's Surface Breaks. Just leave the damn story alone ffs. If you don't like how it ends, fair enough, deal with it. I don't like how Thelma and Louise ends but that doesn't mean I wanna see a MGTOW retelling of it, where the girl's car breaks down a hundred yards from the cliff edge and Tom's tow truck company comes and saves the day, upon where they finally realize they need men in their lives and topping themselves isn't the answer.

I don't even know why feminists support those remakes anyway. Surely if they are even successful, it's still just copying of a guy's movie.

It's the same with the retelling of classic novels, like LON's Surface Breaks. Just leave the damn story alone ffs. If you don't like how it ends, fair enough, deal with it. I don't like how Thelma and Louise ends but that doesn't mean I wanna see a MGTOW retelling of it, where the girl's car breaks down a hundred yards from the cliff edge and Tom's tow truck company comes and saves the day, upon where they finally realize they need men in their lives and topping themselves isn't the answer.

They "support "the remakes and yet the movies still manage to absolutely bomb at the box office because they couldnt be actually arsed going to these remakes of films which they demanded :rolleyes:

They are full of hot air as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Count Down wrote: »
    She's written a few novels, haven't a clue what they're called or what they're about.
    She had an article in the Examiner just after Halloween where she went on a hysterical rant about white kids and adults dressing up as black/Indian people (Michael Jackson, Gandhi etc) for Halloween saying it was racist when in fact it was just for fun with no racial overtones whatsoever.
    Some kid putting a bit of black stuff on their face because he idolises Michael Jackson and wants to look like him for a few hours is hardly racist - in fact if anything it's the opposite!
    Sounds like she's a bit of an attention seeker. :(

I was agreeing...until you got to the 'putting black stuff on their faces'...dressing like someone you idolise is fine, wearing blackface isn't.
    Unless she's someone like Melania Trump, Taylor Swift, Sarah Palin, Kellyanne Conway, Ann Coulter, Meg Whitman (or closer to home, Breda O'Brien, Katie Ascough) etc. - no problem with those women being criticised because they express the "wrong" kind of opinion.

Swift has remained politically neutral, thus get's called everything from Nazi to whatever else you can think of. As Bruce Campbell would say, 'my fans are democrats and republicans-why would I wanna alienate either?'.
    She did indeed.....

I did think it was a possibility at the time but seems not as it's something many of her comrades have similarly remarked upon. Maybe they all read the same buzzfeed article or something.

I saw the writer of Can't Cope Won't.... tweeted the same thing-she deleted the tweet, I think somewhere when people said 'uh, that's not what it means'. There's an article about it that refutes it that gets linked a lot.
    There's many who refute the 'it's rape' message-especially since in the original film which it was written for, there's role reversal halfway thru. As in the 'guy' is the one who needs convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFJ7ie_yGU

Lady Gaga does her own version of it-and she's a rape survivor-I doubt she'd sing something that condones rape. (The music video for 'do what you want with my body' was pulled precisely because El Creepo Terry Richardson directed it, and it had a distinctly 'rapey' vibe. I think Gaga wasn't happy).

Similar stuff is written about Grease and it's 'tell me more, tell me more, did she put up a fight'...line-modern 'libs' call it rape-they don't understand the terminology, and interpret it as meaning rape or date rape. It's far from it, to be sure. Like, it means 'did she need a ton of convincing to do sexual stuff?'
    But the parody's are still hilarious.

Funny you should mention Grease. Was at one of the recent 40th anniversary screenings on Thursday last and at the end when Sandy turns up having changed her whole look, wearing skin tight leathers and suggesting she was now going be just what she felt Danny wanted her to be (singing about how she 'needs a man to keep her satisfied') I thought about how ripe the whole thing was for a feminist retelling (just like The Little Mermaid). How dare she need a guy to satisfy her!

Actually, to tell the truth, I don't know the story of the little mermaid but from the little I read it seems to be for similar reasons, because a female character changes herself to please a guy? I mean, Christ, there must be an equal number of films where a guy changes to please a female character. Will Hunting for one goes running after a girl at the end of that film realizing that Mini Driver's character was right about him wasting his life. Just all seems so petty and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ghostbuster would have won all the Oscars but for Weinstein and the corrupt Misogynistic Hollywood cartel. Amazing movie.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

LLMMLL wrote: »
    She's a woman with an opinion which is apparently very threatening to about ten guys on boards.

Just out of curiosity what's your opinion on the sitcom Friends?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement