Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Just out of curiosity what's your opinion on the sitcom Friends?

The feminazis want to turn Friends into the 1990s version of Birth of a Nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The feminazis want to turn Friends into the 1990s version of Birth of a Nation.

Why, what has Friends done out of the way? My memory of it was that it was about as harmless as can be.
    From memory, it started the year I finished college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Gravelly wrote: »
    Why, what has Friends done out of the way? My memory of it was that it was about as harmless as can be.
    Spend a number of years studying how to get offended in a "gender" related 3rd level course, and you should be well equipped to find patriarchal oppression in paint drying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I mean, Christ, there must be an equal number of films where a guy changes to please a female character. Will Hunting for one goes running after a girl at the end of that film realizing that Mini Driver's character was right about him wasting his life. Just all seems so petty and pointless.

:rolleyes: You're just not engaging with the subject on an intellectual level

"Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed".

There's a thread here on boards about it. I found it incredibly oddball, but it seemed a lot of posters could nitpick at the show from a feminist angle.

• Advertisement

There's a thread here on boards about it. I found it incredibly oddball, but it seemed a lot of posters could nitpick at the show from a feminist angle.

Sad baśtards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Zulu wrote: »
    Spend a number of years studying how to get offended in a "gender" related 3rd level course, and you should be well equipped to find patriarchal oppression in paint drying.

The paint was probably produced in a male dominated factory, where the men were subjugated by the capitalist, neoliberal elite who paid them slave wages. So rather than try to improve their status, those men blame women for their socioeconomic status and in doing so are pouring their hatred and antifeminist beliefs into the paint.

Watching the paint dry means you absorb these subliminal messages and become a woman hater or if you are female, well.............. you wouldnt have painted the room anyway because thats not what equality is about

For my last year in college we had an "all men are bad" lecturer, everything was the fault of the male dominated system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Not enough POC (no...not Paul O'Connell....People of Colour) or LGBTQ+ characters. Apparently it was a racist and homophobic show as well with slurs made against both.

Not enough POC (no...not Paul O'Connell....People of Colour) or LGBTQ+ characters. Apparently it was a racist and homophobic show as well with slurs made against both.

If and when the current crop of gender studies types get out into the real world and start making TV programmes, they are going to be really, really shíte I'd say.

If and when the current crop of gender studies types get out into the real world and start making TV programmes, they are going to be really, really shíte I'd say.

Forget TV programmes. Now we have Political quotas. These women will likely become part of new governments without needing to be quizzed on their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

The friends thing was ridiculous. I think some even went as far as referring to Joey as a rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You need to be woke.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Funny you should mention Grease. Was at one of the recent 40th anniversary screenings on Thursday last and at the end when Sandy turns up having changed her whole look, wearing skin tight leathers and suggesting she was now going be just what she felt Danny wanted her to be (singing about how she 'needs a man to keep her satisfied') I thought about how ripe the whole thing was for a feminist retelling (just like The Little Mermaid). How dare she need a guy to satisfy her!

Actually, to tell the truth, I don't know the story of the little mermaid but from the little I read it seems to be for similar reasons, because a female character changes herself to please a guy? I mean, Christ, there must be an equal number of films where a guy changes to please a female character. Will Hunting for one goes running after a girl at the end of that film realizing that Mini Driver's character was right about him wasting his life. Just all seems so petty and pointless.
    Funnily enough, in Grease 2 (don't bother, it's terrible) that is what happens. Bookworm (played by Maxwell Caulfield) turns into Danny Zuko clone to impress Michelle Pfeiffer (do not recall her characters name but she was a pink lady). It is basically a reworking of the original except the fella changes himself to get with the cool lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair there are times when you think Joey is a bit dodgy lying to girls to get them to sleep with him.
    It's worse with how I met your mother. Barney is an actual serial predator played for laughs but portrayed as a really nice guy underneath it all.

I still enjoy both shows though.

mzungu wrote: »
    Funnily enough, in Grease 2 (don't bother, it's terrible) that is what happens. Bookworm (played by Maxwell Caulfield) turns into Danny Zuko clone to impress Michelle Pfeiffer (do not recall her characters name but she was a pink lady). It is basically a reworking of the original except the fella changes himself to get with the cool lady.

And there isn't a song where the guys ask if the girl put up a fight :) And everybody smokes continuously throughout the movie.

There's probably a load of disney movies with the same plot (not the smoking). I think there's only 3 disney movies where the girl isn't rescued by a guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Grayson wrote: »
    And there isn't a song where the guys ask if the girl put up a fight :) And everybody smokes continuously throughout the movie.

There is a song about 'reproduction'...and number called 'do it for our country'
    where the guy tries to trick the girl into having sex with him by making her think there's a war on.
    Oh, and there's another song where both ladies and gents sing 'We're gonna score tonight'-which essentially is rather rapey, to an extent-for both men and women, in that whether you're a guy or gal, they pretty much 'have to'.
    Grease 2 is seriously creepy.
    Funny you should mention Grease. Was at one of the recent 40th anniversary screenings on Thursday last and at the end when Sandy turns up having changed her whole look, wearing skin tight leathers and suggesting she was now going be just what she felt Danny wanted her to be (singing about how she 'needs a man to keep her satisfied') I thought about how ripe the whole thing was for a feminist retelling (just like The Little Mermaid). How dare she need a guy to satisfy her!

Actually, to tell the truth, I don't know the story of the little mermaid but from the little I read it seems to be for similar reasons, because a female character changes herself to please a guy?

Dang, the amount of people who haven't read fairy tales is astonishing to me. As a kid, I loved em.

It's generally accepted that the story of the Little Mermaid is, similar to the Ugly Duckling, in based on Hans Christian Anderson's own life (he was a tall, gangly guy made fun of-inspired the Ugly Duck story) and his unrequited love was based on an incident in his own life.
    He was 'the mermaid'-in that the person he fell for (it's disputed if it was a girl or a guy) didn't feel the same way, and he may not have even told them. (I own the Disney anniversary DVD-I love the movie, and not ashamed either. Has a documentary on it that tells the whole story and points out the changes Disney made).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid

In order to get legs, she doesn't sacrifice her voice (ala Disney)-she cuts out her own tongue, but the legs she is given feel like she is walking on knives, and will bleed continuously. Even the ending of the story is sad and tragic, in that he falls in love with someone else, thinking she was the one who saved him. Much gorier and downbeat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Louise would want Tickle Me Elmo banned due to it encouraging inappropriate touching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Guys can we just pick a title for this thread and stick to it please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Louise likes the change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Louise likes the change!

Make your beds and sleep in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

The hardest place for me to maintain my feminism is in a relationship with the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Charmeleon wrote: »
    The hardest place for me to maintain my feminism is in a relationship with the real world.

Are you a young man? Because if you are, you need feminism. That's how Blindboy tells it and he is woke AF.

Charmeleon wrote: »

Unless you're willing to apply First Wave feminism... Personally, I have no issues treating women completely as equals. Equally intelligent, equally fun, equally annoying and equally stupid as men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

why don't you create another petition where only 2 will sign it:p

It's obvious that Elmo uses his position of power to force young vulnerable females to touch him in an inappropriate manner. Tickle Me Elmo is a rapist and should be called out as such.

It's obvious that Elmo uses his position of power to force young vulnerable females to touch him in an inappropriate manner. Tickle Me Elmo is a rapist and should be called out as such.

It's not like people think it's ok to roger Roger Federer or have a piss on slash from guns and roses.

These crimes are verging on homophonia.

I think Louise would want Tickle Me Elmo banned due to it encouraging inappropriate touching!

Ummm...you do know Kevin Clash, the puppeteer and original voice of Elmo, is an alleged sexual predator, right? (He's gay, and it's alleged he had relationships with minors, all male).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/final-sex-abuse-lawsuit-elmo-713746

The reason the cases were struck out were due to a number of issues, including statute of limitations. There was never a case of 'he's innocent/ he's guilty' more a case of 'the victims left it too late'.

Elmo's a bad example to use even as a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Have people seen the latest man-shaming bullsh!t from the Irish Times?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/sean-moncrieff-men-need-to-be-saved-from-themselves-1.3458256

"Men need to be saved from themselves"

Ehhhh, I'm doing ok for myself, personally, thanks for the offer though :confused:

It's about Conor McGregor and it's written by Sean Moncrieff...

God, I remember when he was on The End, making tons of politically incorrect jokes...
    Now he's virtue signalling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Louise who?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement