Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grayson wrote: »
    Now you're trying to use violence amongst lesbians as a reason to dismiss toxic masculinity.
    Nope, I'm not. I am pointing out the nonsense that has pretty much ignored the idea that men aren't always to blame and women aren't perpetual victims.
    And it doesn't even mean that it's caused only by men. Women too can hold toxic male attitudes. Women can have that idea of a man too and that's just as bad since young men may try to live up to those ideas because they feel they need to. However it's called toxic masculinity because it's men who practice it.
    You've just proved my point. On the one hand you admit women can have toxic attitudes, but go on to say that these are "male attitudes" and it's toxic masculinity because it's men who practice it. Even when women have toxic attitudes it's still men's fault. Oh you're a feminist alright.
    I'm labelled a crazy feminist.
    See above.
    Toxic masculinity is something that hurts men. We need to look at it and stop shrugging it off.

And by the way, it was a group of men who coined the term.
    Meh, men have coined the vast majority of terms and have come up with the vast majority of social and political and scientific theories, bad, good and indifferent. Proves nada and certainly doesn't validate it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I may regret asking but why 2028?

I wouldn’t hold my breath getting an answer out of midlandsmissus or whatever she’s going by today, says bizzare comments without any fact /back up and randomly disappears when challenged

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

However, I'm at a loss about how to fight against this anti-male movement which is spreading across the west, under the guise of being connected/approved by 'psychology'. These phrases are not staying online. Feminists are not staying on their hate filled blogs. These feminists messages or they themselves have managed to move into many positions of authority. These messages are making their way into our educational system. Into the legal system. And affecting the way that people consider men when they hear of any negative behavior. It's no longer the case that people dismiss crime as being something an individual does, but rather than it's an indication of how badly male culture (and male psychology) has developed.
    I do get what your saying, however the part in bold would be difficult to ascertain. Even though this stuff is getting trotted out a lot more, I am not quite sure things have gotten that bad. All cards on the table here, I have absolutely no problem with feminists calling out male violence, harassment, controlling behaviour. In fact, I would agree with it. The point where I hop off the bus is labelling it under the collective term as if they were specifically male only traits. Yes, a lot more men engage in it than women, no questions there. But as those behaviours exist outside of heterosexual relationships, it suggests that there is a bit more at play here.
    In most cases where there is a campaign to promote equality, the message will be directed solely at womens issues, and the male gender will be put up as the responsible party. So, how do we deal with this?
    The thing is that a lot of those equality campaigns are usually fronted by women's groups, so I have no real issue that they are pushing for the interests of the gender they represent. I think it is a good thing that there are women only advocacy groups. You ask the question how do we deal with this? My answer would be in the same way there are groups advocating for women, then I think men need to start their own groups to advocate for various mens issues. I think some notable mens movements have actually been started by women, so there is a history of men not really engaging that much with advocacy groups. In a sense, harsh and all as this will sound, but men have been their own worst enemy there. If there is an issue they feel strongly about then they need to do what women's groups did and form proper advocacy movements. It is hard work, and progress is slow, but if the will is there and it resonates with enough men (and women) then it should take off.

Just to note, when I say mens groups, I mean pushing for actual rights (fathers rights etc) and not the MRA/Red Pill/MGTOW crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Your post I quoted referenced harassment, not sexual harassment.

I'm only referencing sexual harrassment. I don't believe either gender is more responsible for nonsexual harrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Why does the thread title keep changing? :confused:

• Advertisement

Lollipop95 wrote: »

Why do people keep asking that question? It's been answered so many times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Louise is a complex woman so the thread should be!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

547bc2e254cf4032e1bb370900a41aa9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Why does the title of this thread keep changing, the person who posted this is a total attention seeker, yes we know you hate louise but it is beyond reason at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is no reason to this thread just like there is no reason to Louise O'Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Why does the title of this thread keep changing, the person who posted this is a total attention seeker, yes we know you hate louise but it is beyond reason at this stage.

Another bad case of the boo hoos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

givyjoe wrote: »
    Another bad case of the boo hoos

nah just against saddos like the O.P. hope he enjoys his ban from the forum when it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

cloudatlas wrote: »
    nah just against saddos like the O.P. hope he enjoys his ban from the forum when it comes.

I think Louise and cloudatlas would have a great coffee date. :D

Has someone changed the thread title specifically to mock a poster, or am I missing something?

Candie wrote: »
    Has someone changed the thread title specifically to mock a poster, or am I missing something?

A sense of humour :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Sweet baby jesus, an almost decade old american paper. Really?

...Brilliant.
    #nailed_it

Zulu wrote: »
    Sweet baby jesus, an almost decade old american paper. Really?

...Brilliant.
    #nailed_it

Is there any reason to believe the sexual harrassment of women has changed significantly in the last 7 years?

I was going to say the boards user LLMMLL but you can't enjoy coffee with someone if you are on your own.

So it has to be Grayson, apparently he is also labelled as a crazy feminist. So at least they will have something in common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Is there any reason to believe the sexual harrassment of women has changed significantly in the last 7 years?
    ...on a different continent?

I dunno, but I have this 1983 paper from Uzbekistan to support a claim...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sigsig

The thread title should be changed to "Does Louise O'Neill know about givyjoe's fake profiles?" or maybe "Will Dakota Brave Carrot and DavidLyons like every single post in the thread, or just 90% of them?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sigsig wrote: »
    The thread title should be changed to "Does Louise O'Neill know about givyjoe's fake profiles?" or maybe "Will Dakota Brave Carrot and DavidLyons like every single post in the thread, or just 90% of them?"

Or how long will the "sigsig" alias last before dissapearing.

Leave freshpopcorn alone.

Db4W4ClXUAEC9xM.jpg:large

Photoshop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That stare could crack my kernels!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

Ah sure by 2028 Islam be well on its way to being the most dominant religion in Europe. And we have all seen how so called 3rd wave is desperate keen to hitch to any bandwagon, even if it means it turns into a puddle of puke when it hits the Arab springs.

And just like all the so called " feminists" who head out to the middle east. You'll cover up and shut up. While the REAL women out there fighting actual issues be rotting in some hell hole jail for refusing to wear hers. But hey don't let that stop you taking bin men's jobs aigh.

Ah come on, surely a 2 year old would know that he was taking the p#ss.

A look back through his posts says that he is a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

Ye seem to believe that anyone who challenges the entrenched sexism ye hold so dear is winding ye up, so outlandish do ye find the challenge.

Time's up for that attitude, the third wave is breaking and a lot of the world's injustices will be washed away by 2028.

Well done male poster, I suppose you wound a few people up. All of his history posts say that he is male. No woman says 'third wave'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Just getting back to the whole 'Friends' thing. I am currently rewatching it again as I know there are a couple scenes I wanna bookmark for our feminist and millennial...eh friends.

Re the lack of black people. The first couple episodes feature a black nurse working on Ross's ex wifes baby to be. Also black extras when Ross gets hit by a puck at a hockey game. Also black extra in Central Perk.

Season 1 Episode 6 is all about a woman that Chandler meets but he finds out she has a husband and THREE other boyfriends. He is being used for sex. She doesn't care and doesn't see why he should. Recent articles about Joey being a rapist and treating women like crap for fairly similar.

I will be back on this...

Zulu wrote: »
    ...on a different continent?

I dunno, but I have this 1983 paper from Uzbekistan to support a claim...

Yeah thats the exact same thing well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well done male poster.... No woman says 'third wave'.

Yeah, they do. Sorry about that female poster. 10 seconds is all you need of this video. You do not speak for womankind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Photoshop?
    Ah c'mon, she's hardly up for the sidebar of shame on the Daily Mail site, or any number of painted and varnished Instagram attention seekers where women(and a few men) have been keeping Adobe afloat for a decade with their "beach ready curves" - whatever the fuck that means - and all that shite. Looks like the standard fare of "look thoughtful, serious and strong" Sunday supplement shtick. She likely broke into a fit of giggles afterwards. Hell, I'd hardly be an apologist for her, never mind a supporter of her well daft views - in my humble and all that - but she's not a cardboard cutout either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement