Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The Examiner is embarrassing itself letting this girl write such cringy rubbish. She is like a parody at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

No, we're all doing it now

I'll tell the wife so.

She mentioned in that article that she didn't like Gone Girl. I thought everyone enjoyed that book, did she ever state why? (A lot of you guys seem to know an awful lot about her)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

McDermotX wrote: »
    Clicks link..

....wants me to login/register to see article

Nice.

Closes tab.

Yeah, sorry I hadn’t realised it was behind a paywall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

She mentioned in that article that she didn't like Gone Girl. I thought everyone enjoyed that book, did she ever state why? (A lot of you guys seem to know an awful lot about her)

It didn’t have 17 typos on a page and poorly structured sentences were non existent also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

McGaggs wrote: »
    Is there a large liking for anal sex here? I thought it was just an American thing.

I was thinking the same thing about hamburgers and hotdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Don't you mean culinary gangbang? My god she's an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

How did the op know what was on her twitter page?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

backspin. wrote: »
    The Examiner is embarrassing itself letting this girl write such cringy rubbish.
    Not really, as people are clearly interested in her enough to get clicks. Media outlets love her kind of controversy writer. All the red tops have them, but so do the sniffy broadsheets.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

professore wrote: »
    This is an insight into the mind of a mentally ill person. Pretty much everything written here is wrong on every level and presented as fact. If this is how young women think there is no hope for the future.

And yet the examiner are giving her a platform to spew this ****e. Beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

That was an excerpt from the book No? Not her own writing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I wonder how much the "tenants of the patriarchy" pay in rent each month, and if the patriarchy have any apartments near the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's what she was referring to (well, the film version of it at least) but what it has to do with us, I've no idea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

neonsofa wrote: »
    The title, I've read it five times, is it a typo or am I just not understanding the structure of the sentence? I can't make it make sense in my mind.

Yeah I can't get past the title myself. It's not a sentence and makes no sense.

Serious question, who is she? (I'm guessing a feminist but I'm guessing she is also famous somehow?) Genuinely never heard of her aside from seeing this thread pop up now and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

Can we stop calling people who we disagree with mentally ill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nermal wrote: »

Unless of course they are? LON is bat**** crazy. The stuff she wrote and published about her Grandfather was disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yeah I can't get past the title myself. It's not a sentence and makes no sense.

Serious question, who is she? (I'm guessing a feminist but I'm guessing she is also famous somehow?) Genuinely never heard of her aside from seeing this thread pop up now and again...

She writes "Young adult" fiction or YA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have removed this quote actually because I mistook another authors piece for Louise O' Neills! My mistake. Though I still think my comment generally reflects what LON is about

Her whole 'bit' is to project her own massive, glaring insecurities and unresolved issues onto the entire female populace, treating them as if they're a hive mind connected by gender.

I cannot believe she gets paid for these wild, swinging rants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Nermal wrote: »

Most certainly not very nice.

I'd agree with what someone else said about her articles. They just come across as her response to someone she knows saying something that pissed her off, and then tries to paint it as the experience of other women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Her whole 'bit' is to project her own massive, glaring insecurities and unresolved issues onto the entire female populace, treating them as if they're a hive mind connected by gender.

That quoted part of your post is her quoting another author though??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭ofcork

I cannot believe she gets paid for these wild, swinging rants.[/QU
    Isnt that a quote from an article she was talking about not her own words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

I cannot think of a single instance of a man of my acquaintance describing someone as a "cool girl".

I think it's a new thing here, and has been around in the states for a bit, when I lived there it meant - well a nice down to earth person that was easy to get along with.

Just like a cool guy.

Louise is going on about anal sex, eating hotdogs, farting ... WHAT ????

She is an unhinged nutter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ofcork wrote: »

Isnt that a quote from an article she was talking about not her own words.
    I remember the first time I read this passage from Gillian Flynn’s novel Gone Girl

Yeah, it is a quote from somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

neonsofa wrote: »
    That quoted part of your post is her quoting another author though??

Yep, I got that mixed up sorry, I've removed it now, though my general comment stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Bambi985 wrote: »
    After reading a thing or two about her background, there is something very sad and obvious in her pathology that plays out in every single article, tweet and Instagram post that she publishes. And no doubt her books too. It's like the driving force behind her writing career and her brand of "feminism" is this continuous "FCUK YOU!" and "I'LL SHOW YOU!" she feels the need to give to the things in her past that she has not reconciled with - her bullies, the men that rejected her, her eating disorder.

I know, I thought I was a heavyweight grudge-holder but I'm a Zen master compared to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I hope my daughter never ends up as angry and unhappy as she comes across. Her world view is genuinely pitiful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

markodaly wrote: »
    Unless of course they are? LON is bat**** crazy. The stuff she wrote and published about her Grandfather was disgusting.

That bit was just weird. I hope he wasn't alive to read it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/louise-oneill-i-wonder-if-my-ex-boyfriends-thought-female-sexuality-was-something-to-be-laughed-at-383021.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Washing your mental linen in public

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What did she say about her Grandfather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

She has mental health issues. She was bullied as a teen by girls who got all the attention from the boys. The girls were your typical girly-girls that put on a show for the boys. Louise, bless her, was more angry at the boys for falling for the act.

Every note and article she writes is a passive aggressive message she is sending to somebody she knows.

Good point, well made.

/thread ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement