Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Omackeral wrote: »

Yeah, they do. Sorry about that female poster. 10 seconds is all you need of this video. You do not speak for womankind.

Lauren Southern is no longer a woman.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, she's hardly up for the sidebar of shame on the Daily Mail site, or any number of painted and varnished Instagram attention seekers where women(and a few men) have been keeping Adobe afloat for a decade with their "beach ready curves" - whatever the fuck that means - and all that shite. Looks like the standard fare of "look thoughtful, serious and strong" Sunday supplement shtick. She likely broke into a fit of giggles afterwards. Hell, I'd hardly be an apologist for her, never mind a supporter of her well daft views - in my humble and all that - but she's not a cardboard cutout either.

I just got Wibbed.

Posted the picture in jest to be honest. In a vein attempt to get the thread back on track. Knowing full well, attack appearance, lost debate. I take this thread as light hearted and a bit fun. As with most of the posters here "I assume".

But I'm also shocked at the people defending her and her ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Lauren Southern is no longer a woman.....

Got herself banned from Britain for handing out 'Allah is Gay' leaflets.

Britain has seriously gone to the dogs-knife crime on the rise, as well as violent crimes and murders.

But a 22 year old woman handing out leaflets calling a prophet gay...yeah, she's the real enemy....:rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42815768

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I just got Wibbed..
    Wibbed for your pleasure. Methinks new tagline beckons. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Db4W4ClXUAEC9xM.jpg:large

Photoshop?

She's sour looking..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Got herself banned from Britain for handing out 'Allah is Gay' leaflets.

Britain has seriously gone to the dogs-knife crime on the rise, as well as violent crimes and murders.

But a 22 year old woman handing out leaflets calling a prophet gay...yeah, she's the real enemy....:rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42815768

I had to laugh at that Lauren Southern video where she said her goal was to encourage honesty......

......By lying to a doctor and government worker.......

.....Right.

She's sour looking..

I must admit I'm surprised by the tattoos. Hadn't thought her the type. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

She's sour looking..

Let's not go here. Nothing wrong with the photo. She's a perfectly attractive woman. I've said it before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I had to laugh at that Lauren Southern video where she said her goal was to encourage honesty......

......By lying to a doctor and government worker.......

.....Right.
    I would consider Ms Southern to be at best a rabble rouser for her fans, but your above statement strongly suggests you missed the point by a country mile. And again with the irony bypass.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Let's not go here. Nothing wrong with the photo. She's a perfectly attractive woman. I've said it before.

I wouldn't consider her to be attractive, but I don't see any point in insulting her appearance. I don't agree with her opinions. That's enough for me.

• Advertisement

I would consider Ms Southern to be at best a rabble rouser for her fans, but your above statement strongly suggests you missed the point by a country mile. And again with the irony bypass.

Hey...now you hurt my feelings... :p:p:p

She can make valid points, I feel-but then undermines it by going overboard. However,banning her from the Uk for trivial nonsense like that is a deliberate scapegoating and deferral of blame. Similar nonsense with Ct Dakula.

Off topic, but has LON made any comment on Bill Cosby aka a rich Black man who was found guilty of a crime, despite his wealth and 'privilege'?
    Or does that not feed into her narrative?

I suppose one can try and pull the 'black people get no justice' in a court of law. But Cosby could afford the best lawyers, and his accusations were far before the 'metoo' era had kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

sigsig wrote: »
    The thread title should be changed to "Does Louise O'Neill know about givyjoe's fake profiles?" or maybe "Will Dakota Brave Carrot and DavidLyons like every single post in the thread, or just 90% of them?"

I'm all real baby

Actually I was pointing out the irony in her video of telling a load of lies to promote the values of honesty......

..... Do you even know what irony means?

Hey...now you hurt my feelings... :p:p:p

She can make valid points, I feel-but then undermines it by going overboard. However,banning her from the Uk for trivial nonsense like that is a deliberate scapegoating and deferral of blame. Similar nonsense with Ct Dakula.

Off topic, but has LON made any comment on Bill Cosby aka a rich Black man who was found guilty of a crime, despite his wealth and 'privilege'?
    Or does that not feed into her narrative?

I suppose one can try and pull the 'black people get no justice' in a court of law. But Cosby could afford the best lawyers, and his accusations were far before the 'metoo' era had kicked off.

All this "why hasn't she commented on..." Stuff is pure nonsense.

She didn't comment on the recent "rape list" case in the Cork school either.

I suppose that means she's racist against young white girls now or something ..........

Photoshop?
    CQD wrote:
    She's sour looking
    cantdecide wrote:
    she's a perfectly attractive woman
    I wouldn't consider her to be attractive.

And yet again a thread about a woman devolves into a debate on how she looks.

Well done guys.

All this "why hasn't she commented on..." Stuff is pure nonsense.

She didn't comment on the recent "rape list" case in the Cork school either.

I suppose that means she's racist against young white girls now or something ..........

I imagine she didn't comment on it (I'm not going to check her twitter) is because the list is claimed to be written by teenagers-I imagine if she was seen to pick on children, it would look bad for her image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Well done guys.

At least their comments are about ONE woman and not repulsive generalisations against ALL men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

My main concern (and I've been very consistent in this) is sexual harrassment as a social problem. And men are overwhelmingly responsible for this.

I've no problem with studies showing that in the case of domestic violence this may not be the case.

But this is NEVER raised by either men or women as an issue in itself. It's only ever raised in threads about sexual harrassment or violence of women and is designed to distract.

If someone started a thread on domestic violence of male victims that wasn't started in response to a thread or discussion of female victims then I'd wholeheartedly support that.

But in a thread designed to make fun of feminists and derail any point they make that men are responsible for the vast majority of sexual violence and harrassment, either by trying to pretend women harass men as much as men harass women, or trying to move the discussion to DV...... Nah I'm not gonna engage with that.

What's your opinion on street crime in the UK being predominantly carried out by black people? Do they suffer from "toxic blackness"?

Well done guys.
    In a very odd turn of events... I agree with you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Well done guys.

Good luck trying to get men to stop talking about the attractiveness of women.

Btw Lauren is very attractive. Not as good looking as roaming millennial though.

• Advertisement

backspin. wrote: »
    True B and I have problem with that, so long as it avoids being greasy. Women talk about the attractiveness of men after all. Where it crosses a line for me is when it is used as a debate point, or a put down. The "I wouldn't ride her into battle, therefore her opinions and arguments are worthless" type response. Ditto for the "I think she's a big ride, therefore her opinions and arguments are valid". That's as bad.

Someone's opinions and arguments should be looked at and debated and judged in isolation. The exception would be where they use their physical attractiveness or not as a selling point or even a weapon in debate and self promotion. Then it's fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Grayson wrote: »
    There haven't been many studies. Most have a very small sample size that isn't chosen at random and aren't deemed to be that accurate.
    Now you're trying to use violence amongst lesbians as a reason to dismiss toxic masculinity. You can'y do that. Proving B exists does not prove that A doesn't.

To see if there is such a thing as toxic lesbianism you have to look at what causes lesbian violence. That will tell you what causes lesbian domestic violence.
    You also have to look at what causes male domestic violence and see what causes that.
    You can't simply say that lesbian domestic violence exists and say therefore it nullifies a reason for male domestic violence.

Because there aren't as many studies as there are for hetrosexuals there isn't as much information about what causes it. However it's thought that the stresses of society can cause it. An example given is internalised homophobia. One person doesn't want to be out and the other doesn't.

This is from the wiki article
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_lesbian_relationships

The whole wiki article makes for interesting reading but it's a fraction of the size of the article on domestic violence in general.

As for toxic masculinity, I'd say that as far as domestic abuse goes it's far less than it was. It was a completely different story 50 years ago. However we seem to have broken a lot of cycles that led one generation to pass the experience onto another. We can see this because the numbers have dropped drastically over the last century. But they haven't disappeared. But that's just one aspect of toxic masculinity.

Toxic masculinity does exist. The example I've been using recently is the fact that male rape victims are far less likely to report rape than women. It's because men feel more shame and that's because men are taught not to show weakness. That's an example of a negative male attitude that is perpetrated that directly affects men and is caused by male attitudes. Similarly I could point out that men with depression were less likely to seek help and therefore account for more suicides. These are examples of toxic masculinity. They're attitudes that are caused by male culture.
    That doesn't mean that every man believes it. I certainly don't and I know plenty of men who don't. And it doesn't even mean that it's caused only by men. Women too can hold toxic male attitudes. Women can have that idea of a man too and that's just as bad since young men may try to live up to those ideas because they feel they need to. However it's called toxic masculinity because it's men who practice it.
    Yet if I was to suggest that there's a prevailing male attitude that impacts females negatively, I'm labelled a crazy feminist.

We, as a society have to change how we view men. However when someone says that men need better role models or say how we need to change the definition of being a man, or how we need better role models, they're lambasted.

Toxic masculinity is something that hurts men. We need to look at it and stop shrugging it off.

And by the way, it was a group of men who coined the term.

Toxic masculinity is such a sexist phrase. I can't see it any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

True B and I have problem with that, so long as it avoids being greasy. Women talk about the attractiveness of men after all. Where it crosses a line for me is when it is used as a debate point, or a put down. The "I wouldn't ride her into battle, therefore her opinions and arguments are worthless" type response. Ditto for the "I think she's a big ride, therefore her opinions and arguments are valid". That's as bad.

Someone's opinions and arguments should be looked at and debated and judged in isolation. The exception would be where they use their physical attractiveness or not as a selling point or even a weapon in debate and self promotion. Then it's fair game.

It's not very nice but it's not attacking women in general. I think it tends to be "she's a bitch and ugly too" vs "she's ugly therefore she's a bitch too "

Women judge men more on what they look like and how they dress than vice versa. Just look at famous male artists who basically can't sing but succeed because of their looks. Now try and think of female equivalents. I like Avril Lavigne's music and happen to think she's really hot - but I was a fan way before I knew what she looked like. If her singing was bad I'd have no interest. Same with Susan Boyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Does Louise O’Neill think Avril Lavigne is hot?

You know what to do freshpopcorn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

professore wrote: »
    I like Avril Lavigne's music and happen to think she's really hot - but I was a fan way before I knew what she looked like. If her singing was bad I'd have no interest. Same with Susan Boyle.

...but I would fight to the death your right to call Susan Boyle hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What? Shes 32?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Does Louise O’Neill think Avril Lavigne is hot?

You know what to do freshpopcorn...

Why do you have to go and make things so complicated?

I imagine she didn't comment on it (I'm not going to check her twitter) is because the list is claimed to be written by teenagers-I imagine if she was seen to pick on children, it would look bad for her image.

I doubt it. It was widely condemned. I haven't seen anyone criticize those who commented on it.

backspin. wrote: »

Btw Lauren is very attractive. Not as good looking as roaming millennial though.

Another fan of Roaming Millennial I see-I like her, and Ashton Whittie, and Lauren.
    And Shoeonhead.

But comments on Louise...eh, it's her opinions that I have issue with. Not her looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

professore wrote: »
    Toxic masculinity is such a sexist phrase. I can't see it any other way.

Doubt you want to see it any other way, tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement