Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Just listening to the BBC podcast, Louise O'Neill comes across as a very nice, pleasant person. It's just a shame she is so barmy. Talking about her rewriting of the little mermaid on a serious programme is embarrassing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just listening to the BBC podcast, Louise O'Neill comes across as a very nice, pleasant person. It's just a shame she is so barmy. Talking about her rewriting of the little mermaid on a serious programme is embarrassing.

I was reading Jack and The Beanstalk last night with my daughter when the following dawned on me.

Jack broke into the giants house 3 times.
    Jack robbed the giants 3 times.
    Jack has the giant woman in such fear that she had Stockholm syndrome and helped Jack.

Jack and his mother murdered the man giant.

Jack and his mother profited off the robbing and killing spree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I was reading Jack and The Beanstalk last night with my daughter when the following dawned on me.

Jack broke into the giants house 3 times.
    Jack robbed the giants 3 times.
    Jack has the giant woman in such fear that she had Stockholm syndrome and helped Jack.

Jack and his mother murdered the man giant.

Jack and his mother profited off the robbing and killing spree.

We have copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales at home that belonged to my grandfather as a child - if memory serves, it dated from the 1910's. Many of today's popular fairy tales are in it, but they are full on R rated - in little red riding hood, the wolf savages the grandmother before eating her, and then the woodsman beheads the wolf etc. Nearly every fairytale features blood and gore, and all the female characters are rescued by strong, tough men, who go on to marry them. Imagine poor Louise and her ilk reading those now. They'd be traumatised for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just listening to the BBC podcast, Louise O'Neill comes across as a very nice, pleasant person.

Enough of that... who'll she be supporting in the World Cup this Summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Gravelly wrote: »
    We have copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales at home that belonged to my grandfather as a child - if memory serves, it dated from the 1910's. Many of today's popular fairy tales are in it, but they are full on R rated - in little red riding hood, the wolf savages the grandmother before eating her, and then the woodsman beheads the wolf etc. Nearly every fairytale features blood and gore, and all the female characters are rescued by strong, tough men, who go on to marry them. Imagine poor Louise and her ilk reading those now. They'd be traumatised for life.

I think LoN could handle a bit of gore in her fairytales if it had the right sociopolitical context... Eg, a guy says hello to a woman at a bus stop and politely asks her if she'd like to get a coffee some time, so the woman swiftly pulls a sword from a nearby stone and cuts off his ballsack, with the story ending on a picture of her holding the ballsack up to the sun and smearing the word "#metoo" on the bus stop window with his gushing blood :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Omackeral wrote: »

Des Moines Menace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Omackeral wrote: »

That's not til next year.

Edit: Oh sorry, you must mean the men's World Cup. I forgot that was on this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

keano_afc wrote: »
    She'll gather up pools of menstrual personstrual blood and hurl it at every man within a 2 mile radius. Roisin Ingle and Una Mullaly will also donate.

Good luck getting a donation from Mullaly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

razorblunt wrote: »
    Tell me she did not actually bring up the Ulster Trial?

The sky news presenter asked her .....if you lose this referendum what's next for you.....

Then she went on spouting about how it's such a hard time right now to be a woman in Ireland and she mentioned the Ulster rape trial...

Is it a hard time right now in Ireland for women? She sounded quite exasperated. I didn't know what to make of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Des Moines Menace

You are the Des Moines Menace.
    That's not til next year.

Edit: Oh sorry, you must mean the men's World Cup. I forgot that was on this summer.

Genuinely the best thing I've read all day. Fantastic :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Good luck getting a donation from Mullaly....

She's gone through the menopause cos of her cancer, so that stream has dried up.

She did come across as rather nice in that bbc yoke..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,771 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

She did come across as rather nice in that bbc yoke..

She can come across nice if you never heard of her but then when you read some of her articles,Tweets,books,etc you might have different of opinion!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I like to think she will spoil her vote tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Kimbot wrote: »

Votes to abort all men

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Kimbot wrote: »

I think I read somewhere she nearly broke down crying when she was voting in the marriage referendum at the polling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think I read somewhere she nearly broke down crying when she was voting in the marriage referendum at the polling station.

Probably couldn't figure out whether it was a tic or an X

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Sweet lord, if I had to listen to her going on with that shïte I'd break down crying myself. Imagine her tomorrow, she'll go to the nearest mens shed with an AK47 if it doesn't pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah, she couldn't cope with the idea that there are at least some men who clearly aren't driven to abuse and subjugate women than stems from their sexual desire for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

if she married Ronan Mullen the kids would look like Austin Powers...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

She can come across nice if you never heard of her but then when you read some of her articles,Tweets,books,etc you might have different of opinion!

Yeah..it's kind of sad really..

Well they say opposites attract. They'd be silence in the bedroom I'd say tough.

Well they say opposites attract. They'd be silence in the bedroom I'd say tough.

I'd say Rónán would be spending a lot of time on his knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

She's gone through the menopause cos of her cancer, so that stream has dried up.

The old grey mare she ain't what she used to be.

BabyMaker_1sPC9XQLEYjQke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gravelly wrote: »

I'd say Rónán would be spending a lot of time on his knees.
    Praying for a happy death ?

So is Louise o Neill someone who thinks all men are assholes and the world would be a better place if we weren't here ? Is that her gimmick(to use a pro wrestling term) ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »

So is Louise o Neill someone who thinks all men are assholes and the world would be a better place if we weren't here ? Is that her gimmick(to use a pro wrestling term) ?

Her issue is mainly with straight white men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Her issue is mainly with straight white men!

I've heard the name but wasn't aware of her angle so to speak.

I mean has the White man made some mistakes down the centuries ? Yes but it's a bit long to hold a grudge. Or is it something more specific about white straight men she dislikes or is it a general hatred ? I'm eager to learn her ways.

I've heard the name but wasn't aware of her angle so to speak.

I mean has the White man made some mistakes down the centuries ? Yes but it's a bit long to hold a grudge. Or is it something more specific about white straight men she dislikes or is it a general hatred ? I'm eager to learn her ways.

Well she often wonders what her grandfather was thinking when she was setting on his knee as a child.
    Then they were something about boyfriends at college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

her vagina has a odd obsession wit the weeknd (https://www.image.ie/life/women-we-love-40-questions-with-writer-louise-oneill-40443)

And Tupac (convicted sex offender) is the woke bae

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement