Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh God no-it's Writer's week there. I hope she's not ruining that too.

I imagine Germaine Greer saying rape is 'just bad sex' has probably left LON confined to bed today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/germaine-greer-most-rape-is-just-lazy-careless-and-insensitive-1.3514298
    Greer was excommunicated a few years back.

Her views on transgenderism didn't go down too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Greer was excommunicated a few years back.

Her views on transgenderism didn't go down too well.

I dunno-there's a lot of 'Trans exclusionary radical feminists' out there-so I doubt she's out of the band just yet.

She literally wrote the books these troglodytes cling to-so I doubt she's out just yet.

The world's gone mad lads..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,423 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Okay, which one of ye were in Listowel earlier?

https://twitter.com/poemruiner/status/1002197763638153217

Fake News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

A big cake of a bulging crotch with the words Zip up your Mickey

• Advertisement

A big cake of a bulging crotch with the words Zip up your Mickey

And a bit of cream down the zipper...

..was that too far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I dunno-there's a lot of 'Trans exclusionary radical feminists' out there-so I doubt she's out of the band just yet.

Indeed there is and over the past few days in fact there has been something of a showdown between them and Twitter over some feminists being banned and accused of hate speech:
    Feminists’ fury as media giant Twitter bans them for saying women can’t be men and failing to protect freedom of speech

Twitter has been condemned for deleting accounts of female users because they said that men could not become women.

Feminist group Fair Play for Women claimed that the social media giant was aiding an attack on free speech by removing the comments for being ‘transphobic’.

The group said women’s accounts were being suspended simply ‘for stating biological and legal facts’.

https://twitter.com/AlterEgO_MissMe/status/1000415368232488960

‘We ask you today to use your voice to speak out against this new wave of misogyny and to stand up for women when we are being deprived of a platform from which to speak the truth.’

The letter was signed by more than 50 women, who describe themselves as ‘doctors, lawyers and members of the Armed Forces’, among others.

The group claims Twitter has taken down accounts where women have made statements such as: ‘The penis is a male sexual organ.’

Its letter added: ‘Online, women are threatened with violence for saying things that should not be controversial, but have become so. For saying that males cannot become females. For saying that women do not have penises.

Dr Williams, a scientist, said that the site’s policies meant it was impossible to have a ‘proper debate’ about the issue. ‘Silencing one side of the debate is wrong,’ she added.

Have to say it's sweet irony that some of the very people who delighted in Twitter shutting down accounts that disagreed with them, is now having to contend with that very thing happening to them. All very frankensteinesque.

Indeed there is and over the past few days in fact there has been something of a showdown between them and Twitter over some feminists being banned and accused of hate speech:

Have to say it's sweet irony that some of the very people who delighted in Twitter shutting down accounts that disagreed with them, is now having to contend with that very thing happening to them. All very frankensteinesque.

The worst thing is, I've met many 't.e.r.f's' in my lifetime. Young women, not just women of Greer's age. They dismiss trans-gender women, and neglect the difficulties, both in transitioning and the societies attitudes to it. They're not female enough for women, and not having a uterus means they're not women. Never mind many women born biologically women will never experience menstruation either. They also get enraged with trans non-feminists like Blaire White. She doesn't fit the Riley J. Dennis craziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,771 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

tumblr_oqf4cdGgBl1ufct9oo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Louise doesn’t do birthdays cakes she does woke bae cakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

wBKnFYH.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Is that Twonks or Louise's 😮

Well, it's official-there is a disease making red heads crazy...and Blathnaid is the latest victim...

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2018/0601/967515-blathnaid-a-return-to-education-changed-her-views-on-parenting/
    Bláthnaid: "The shackles of patriarchy have restricted me as a result of the gender I was born into.

"I would not swap my gender for another but how my gender should perform was decided by a patriarchal state and it has emotionally smothered me."

"I went into the world as I am and the world decided that this outspoken vivacious woman did not fit it.

jesus_facepalm.jpg

She actually said that-no f**king 'question or investigation' just this bull. No mention of the time she bullied Sheana Keane (who is lovely) or the absolute drivel she purported to 'produce' as entertainment...

God, are we gonna have to round up all redheads and have a cull like what happened during Foot and Mouth?

Shur it's the topic du jour for the uninteresting to seem relevant..

Shur it's the topic du jour for the uninteresting to seem relevant..

It seems like a vain attempt to get back on RTE...

Never mind the reason she's off of tv is because she was a complete cow to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yeah, because if Brían O Chofaigh[/] had been let go* from RTÉ for bullying a co-worker, I'm sure he'd be welcomed back with open arms...

*was she even let go for it? Or was she just sent on a paid career break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And in answer to the current thread title, I'd have thought it'd be an obvious answer:

hqdefault.jpg

Because, obviously, Eoin McLove would be both LON's and Twink's favourite kind of man: a eunuch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yeah, because if Brían O Chofaigh[/] had been let go* from RTÉ for bullying a co-worker, I'm sure he'd be welcomed back with open arms...

*was she even let go for it? Or was she just sent on a paid career break?

I have no idea if the career break was paid, but she did disappear off the screens for quite a while and then returned when the dust settled. She struck it lucky with RTE, they stuck by her and kept the work coming after she took her break. The "shackles of patriarchy" indeed!

Going by the article she appears to believe she is oppressed and demeaned by her gender, I wonder what she gets when viewing the bullying episode through that prism?

mzungu wrote: »
    I have no idea if the career break was paid, but she did disappear off the screens for quite a while and then returned when the dust settled. She struck it lucky with RTE, they stuck by her and kept the work coming after she took her break. The "shackles of patriarchy" indeed!

Going by the article she appears to believe she is oppressed and demeaned by her gender, I wonder what she gets when viewing the bullying episode through that prism?

I remember she was only off of the tv for a few months, apparently disciplinary proceedings. Keane had taken a bullying claim/ hostile environment or whatever claim against her.

When the Afternoon show was cancelled, Blath was back with a new interview show or something similar (to a lot of anger from outsiders) and Keane had left, deciding to do a Masters instead. It was really bizarre, in that Keane had had a number of shows with RTE-such as the Health Squad, and I believe she did another interview show. So her to be 'all gone' despite not being the problem was bizarre.

Blathnaid was quiet for a number of years after her unwelcome return.

She had a 'Lig liom' show a while back-and it suffered from a kind of 'schizophrenia' tbh. Didn't know if it was a retrospective or a defense of the language-either way it was obnoxious. How her husband didn't dump her sorry butt was the only impression I was left with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

mzungu wrote: »

Any link?

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Well, it's official-there is a disease making red heads crazy...and Blathnaid is the latest victim...

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2018/0601/967515-blathnaid-a-return-to-education-changed-her-views-on-parenting/

jesus_facepalm.jpg

She actually said that-no f**king 'question or investigation' just this bull. No mention of the time she bullied Sheana Keane (who is lovely) or the absolute drivel she purported to 'produce' as entertainment...

God, are we gonna have to round up all redheads and have a cull like what happened during Foot and Mouth?

Shackles of patriarchy my @rse. Shes an overbearing loudmouth and a bully.

Shackles of patriarchy my @rse. Shes an overbearing loudmouth and a bully.

Did you see the way she spoke down to her husband on 'Lig liom'? All because he's not a gaelgeoir and has no intention of learning the language.

Overbearing at home as much as she is on telly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Did you see the way she spoke down to her husband on 'Lig liom'? All because he's not a gaelgeoir and has no intention of learning the language.

Overbearing at home as much as she is on telly.

She needs a good willy in her mouth :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I find it very funny that blatnaid is coming across as the victim using all the buzz words when as has been said she's been a bully previously.

She needs a good willy in her mouth :pac:

Maybe that's why he never learned the language-the angry coitus, in positions forged in the hands of the devil himself, makes it all the more worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I remember she was only off of the tv for a few months, apparently disciplinary proceedings. Keane had taken a bullying claim/ hostile environment or whatever claim against her.

When the Afternoon show was cancelled, Blath was back with a new interview show or something similar (to a lot of anger from outsiders) and Keane had left, deciding to do a Masters instead. It was really bizarre, in that Keane had had a number of shows with RTE-such as the Health Squad, and I believe she did another interview show. So her to be 'all gone' despite not being the problem was bizarre.

Blathnaid was quiet for a number of years after her unwelcome return.

She had a 'Lig liom' show a while back-and it suffered from a kind of 'schizophrenia' tbh. Didn't know if it was a retrospective or a defense of the language-either way it was obnoxious. How her husband didn't dump her sorry butt was the only impression I was left with.

AFAIK Blathnaid was (and still is) a permanent RTE employee and Sheana Keane was not, she was a contractor who could be let go with ease. Blathnaid on the other hand could bully away with the full knowledge that she cant be fired due to the unionisation in RTE.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    AFAIK Blathnaid was (and still is) a permanent RTE employee and Sheana Keane was not, she was a contractor who could be let go with ease. Blathnaid on the other hand could bully away with the full knowledge that she cant be fired due to the unionisation in RTE.

What did Blathnaid do exactly? Does we know?

What did Blathnaid do exactly? Does we know?

As far as I can recall, Sheana had recently been married, and had a young family-like toddlers and a baby. As many working mothers do, she was bringing her kids to work and leaving them in the creche.
    Between breaks, she was checking up on them and so on.
    Blathnaid did not like that at all-and gave her s**t for it.

And apparently the problems had been going on for about 5 years, from the beginning of the show. Just when Sheana was bringing her kids to work, it got worse. (I remember Keane left after the first two years, Anna Nolan stayed for three, then left, and Keane Returned. She claimed that other work was keeping her busy, but I dunno. Anna Nolan claimed she didn't like doing shows 'about cakes and baking...' and then did the Great Irish bake-off for two or three years. Seems nobody liked working with Blathnaid).

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-presenter-on-break-ahead-of-court-hearing-26564194.html

Blathnaid sued RTE for unfair dismissal/ wrongful termination.

The ugliest part of it? Sheana Keane was essentially pushed out of RTE. Her and Ni Chofaigh never spoke afterwards, and Blathnaid will probably never get another full-time presenting gig, tbh. Keane has done more with Tv3 than she has with RTE, but only sporadically, like Blathnaid.

And according to reports in the Irish Sun only a few months ago, RTe never fixed the bullying problems that go on there.

• Advertisement

As far as I can recall, Sheana had recently been married, and had a young family-like toddlers and a baby. As many working mothers do, she was bringing her kids to work and leaving them in the creche.
    Between breaks, she was checking up on them and so on.
    Blathnaid did not like that at all-and gave her s**t for it.

And apparently the problems had been going on for about 5 years, from the beginning of the show. Just when Sheana was bringing her kids to work, it got worse. (I remember Keane left after the first two years, Anna Nolan stayed for three, then left, and Keane Returned. She claimed that other work was keeping her busy, but I dunno. Anna Nolan claimed she didn't like doing shows 'about cakes and baking...' and then did the Great Irish bake-off for two or three years. Seems nobody liked working with Blathnaid).

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-presenter-on-break-ahead-of-court-hearing-26564194.html

Blathnaid sued RTE for unfair dismissal/ wrongful termination.

The ugliest part of it? Sheana Keane was essentially pushed out of RTE. Her and Ni Chofaigh never spoke afterwards, and Blathnaid will probably never get another full-time presenting gig, tbh. Keane has done more with Tv3 than she has with RTE, but only sporadically, like Blathnaid.

And according to reports in the Irish Sun only a few months ago, RTe never fixed the bullying problems that go on there.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement