Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭CWF

Blindboy is interviewing her tomorrow for his live podcast. Should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

That's some top trolling, in fairness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's some top trolling, in fairness.
    Yeah I got more than the whiff of that kinda thing alright. The adolescent equivalent of standing up in your local church chapel or meeting shouting God doesn't exist. NO doubt she'll go on to explain(femsplain?) that it was a way to start a dialogue about patriarchy or some such ballsology. Or her brain won't be able to join that many dots to get her out of it. The latter more likely I fear.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wibbs wrote: »
    From what I gather CIS is a label applied to men and women who identify with and as their gender. The opposite to transgender. It seems to be sometimes applied to straight men and women, mostly by the constantly offended and usually aimed at straight men(boo!!), but it's a gender thing.
    Yeah I got more than the whiff of that kinda thing alright. The adolescent equivalent of standing up in your local church chapel or meeting shouting God doesn't exist. NO doubt she'll go on to explain(femsplain?) that it was a way to start a dialogue about patriarchy or some such ballsology. Or her brain won't be able to join that many dots to get her out of it. The latter more likely I fear.

Cisgender men also applies to gay men. So if she's annoying gay men, she's being homophobic...

...and her feminist allies won't like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Warm Litter

CWF wrote: »
    Blindboy is interviewing her tomorrow for his live podcast. Should be interesting

two morons ….love how the questions get hidden on his twitter page that don't suck up to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

CWF wrote: »

If by interesting you mean mind numbingly boring then yes... yes it should.

If by interesting you mean mind numbingly boring then yes... yes it should.

The words 'circle jerk' spring to mind...

NO doubt she'll go on to explain(femsplain?) that it was a way to start a dialogue about patriarchy or some such ballsology.

Doubt that. Looks like she was just winding people up. Juvenile, but funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Wtf is a cis man?

It referrers to anyone who isn't transgender, the opposite to transgender. A bit similar to the way that someone who doesn't believe in God is labelled an athiest, whether they ever thought about the subject or not.

Technically the reasoning for it is that the brain/mind has a gender AND physically the body has a gender, 2 separate distinct things. It is thought that transgenders have a brain/mind gender that is NOT the same as their physical body parts, thus have a male brain but have female body parts, or visa versa.

There is no conclusive proof that there is such a thing as a male or female gender brain but it doesn't really matter imo. The point is they do feel that way and I'm fine with that, just in the same way I know I'm gay but I couldn't care less whether I'm wired that way genetically or not especially in terms of my rights.

What I won't accept though is that pronouns are in the least bit important when ppl refer to transgenders in the third person. It seems to me they are making too much of a fuss about nothing as if not adapting our language to accommodate them is indicative of transgender prejudice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I'm sure she was being serious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cisgender men also applies to gay men. So if she's annoying gay men, she's being homophobic...

...and her feminist allies won't like that...
    I have found that this type of feminist is far more likely to be a young (or "young at heart)straight white middle class educated beyond their brains woman. Gay women get a look in, this type of feminist may even say they're Bi, in that while I'm in college I'll cop a feel way. Gay men don't really figure as a politic or group, though they'll troop along to gay clubs and shows to feel "progressive" and right on. Straight women, particularly those, the majority, just muddling through, working hard and going through life like anybody else are ancillary abstract "sisters" in their narrative. Successful women are viewed with some suspicion, triply so if they're anyway feminine and attractive. Though this can be confusing an area as many of them are also fashion junkies.

QV LON. Goes on about patriarchy and how women are objectified, jumps at the chance to join the fashion industry. An industry that whores women out to convince other women they're inadequate for not looking/wearing the "right" things. And wonders why her self esteem and body image plummeted? Concludes it's straight men and straight male society.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

When i say I hate women I don’t mean all women, but if you get offended by me saying I hate women then I definitely mean you.

You're right, it's hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

QV LON. Goes on about patriarchy and how women are objectified, jumps at the chance to join the fashion industry. An industry that whores women out to convince other women they're inadequate for not looking/wearing the "right" things. And wonders why her self esteem and body image plummeted? Concludes it's straight men and straight male society.

This is exactly it. I mean, this just proves this person is just a complete f**king noise-merchant, in it for the fame, the attention and the greasy money what come with it. O'Neill has literally no LOGOS. This plastic crusade stance is all over the shop like fluctuating price tags on forever moving shelves of f**king nonsense

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

The world's gone mad. Why bother with clean living and conservationism etc to leave the world to a pile of gobsh!tes in the future?

When i say I hate women I don’t mean all women, but if you get offended by me saying I hate women then I definitely mean you.

You're right, it's hilarious. :D

It's the reactions that make it funny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Wtf is a cis man?

Aka.... Men

buried wrote: »
    This is exactly it. I mean, this just proves this person is just a complete f**king noise-merchant, in it for the fame, the attention and the greasy money what come with it. O'Neill has literally no LOGOS. This plastic crusade stance is all over the shop like fluctuating price tags on forever moving shelves of f**king nonsense
    Major interwebs points for referencing the concept of logos in this thread. :eek: *bows* :D
    It's the reactions that make it funny...
    And they say women have less of an idea of humour? It's like the cliche about Ze Germans.

Major interwebs points for referencing the concept of logos in this thread. :eek: *bows* :D

And they say women have less of an idea of humour? It's like the cliche about Ze Germans.

Was her tweet a joke then? I'm confused.

I have found that this type of feminist is far more likely to be a young (or "young at heart)straight white middle class educated beyond their brains woman. Gay women get a look in, this type of feminist may even say they're Bi, in that while I'm in college I'll cop a feel way. Gay men don't really figure as a politic or group, though they'll troop along to gay clubs and shows to feel "progressive" and right on. Straight women, particularly those, the majority, just muddling through, working hard and going through life like anybody else are ancillary abstract "sisters" in their narrative. Successful women are viewed with some suspicion, triply so if they're anyway feminine and attractive. Though this can be confusing an area as many of them are also fashion junkies.

Yeah-it's the 'gay best friend' stereotype-they only appreciate a gay man if they're a token. Not a person. A gay token.
    You ever meet the 20-something, supposedly educated, woman who describes herself as 'an adult now' but is the kind of immature person who badmouths you behind your back? I have.

I find the smartest, most intelligent, down to earth straight women (Irish women) never went to anything after the leaving cert. They're genuine people, highly intelligent. And then, of course, there's the non-Irish woman who speaks her mind, to your face-I find I appreciate it, tbh. It means they value you as a person rather than speak about you behind your back-they address you to your face.

An industry that exploits young 'kids' for want of a better word. Many of these models get discovered prior to puberty even. So they learn a warped sense of self-worth. And Lon helped.

LON's last article blamed Sweet Valley High and Barbies for her anorexia. Things that have nothing to do with her...unlike the toxic fashion industry that, at one time, promoted heroin as fashion and which she was involved.

Also, remember, she objectifies men-but then says she can't be sexist to em, cos she's a woman...careful reading that, you may roll your eyes so bad you go blind.

Does anyone remember the 'Inside Radio 252' show? It was a reality tv show that RTE aired a number of years ago for telethon. A number of famous...no, well-known...nope, not that either...a number of people who seemed familiar hosted a radio station. All women. (Among em Amanda Brunker and Blathnaid).
    Well, one of the women was then 20-something Emma O'Driscoll hoo boy, did the bullying of the one fit, young woman reach excessive b!tchy levels. Brunker was notoriously still living at home with her mam (She was about 31 or so), and so was Emma (again, this was after Six broke up and she was without a job). Much of the bullying continued after the show was over, with Brunker even accusing Emma of having breast augmentation in her Sunday World column.

I just remember that because it was a pre-cursor to Blath's bullying accusations. (And if anyone says 'they edit those to make people look bad', I am reminded of Kathy Griffin's comment on her own show that 'they edited it to make me look better-I'm way worse').

Jeeess..you're well up on your b list celebrity female rte daytime television presenters gossip RR..

• Advertisement

Jeeess..you're well up on your b list celebrity female rte daytime television presenters gossip RR..

I'm full of useless facts. What can I say, I have tons of spare time, then and now. Also, I inherited my insane memory skills from my grandmother.

It was very bizarre, that show. Someone in another forum said that RTE had basically acquired that station because Atlantic 252 had gone bust, so they got that network for pennies.

Blathnaid is difficult to not pay attention to-for better or worse. She was that kind of person who was 'everywhere' at one. point with RTE. From St Patrick's Day to the Afternoon show.
    But the AFternoon show saga was one that I remember. I liked Sheana Keane-Blathnaid I didn't. And so when yhe bullying claims came up, I was like 'yep, I believe it.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That thing on the left has the most punchable face I’ve ever seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Who is this twitter woman going on about cis men? Is she famous for something? She seems to think people should know who she is.

Who is this twitter woman going on about cis men? Is she famous for something? She seems to think people should know who she is.

Everyone thinks that these days..

Omackeral wrote: »
    That thing on the left has the most punchable face I’ve ever seen.

I ****ing hate the inflexion in their voice. Una Mullally is terrible for this. They sound like they're asking a question at the end of every sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Basically this specific kind of lifestyle feminist and the men who hate them are essentially correlates of one another, more or less the people everyone else avoids at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

She's the Barry Scott of Femtwitter :pac:

I ****ing hate the inflexion in their voice. Una Mullally is terrible for this. They sound like they're asking a question at the end of every sentence.

Sharon Ni Bheolain was one of the the first people to do this-and she still does it, it's like 'Thank you David?'. It's really irritating, because it migrated from shows like Neighbours, Home and Away and others-they have that 'question' in-flexion in their accents.

I remember that in French class in secondary school, the teacher always had you 'raise your voice' at the end of asking a question in French. I wonder if some people kept doing it afterwards?

There's another one, the 'vocal fry' that's stuck around as well-it's really irritating, as is the in-flexion, especially with an Irish accent.

Sharon Ni Bheolain was one of the the first people to do this-and she still does it, it's like 'Thank you David?'. It's really irritating, because it migrated from shows like Neighbours, Home and Away and others-they have that 'question' in-flexion in their accents.

I remember that in French class in secondary school, the teacher always had you 'raise your voice' at the end of asking a question in French. I wonder if some people kept doing it afterwards?

There's another one, the 'vocal fry' that's stuck around as well-it's really irritating, as is the in-flexion, especially with an Irish accent.

Is it an Australian thing? I just assumed people picked up after watching hours of American television. Mary Lou is another one. It gives me a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Lons buddy Marion Keyes says her failure to be win book award down to sexism.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/04/marian-keyes-attacks-sexist-imbalance-of-wodehouse-prize

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement